PDA

View Full Version : NOBO January 1st

kayak karl
12-27-2008, 09:59
I am hammocking my thru hike. (Why? does spell check want "hammocking" to be "Ham MOCKING" :confused:???). Don't even own a tent to go to the ground:D Will be using a EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM w/zipper mod. and webbing ring buckle system. A Warbonnet Superfly Tarp. Jrb Mt. Washington under quilt and an Adrenaline 0 degree bag modified for over quilt. Pack packed and 7 days of food. Came in at 33#. Not bad from my first summer hike 1 1/2 years ago at 55# for 3 days. Train leaves Wilmington Del. 4:19 PM Sunday the 28th. I'm staying at the Hiker Hostel for 2 days (to wind down) then will do the approach trail on 12/31. Then Ed Speer's party :thumbup: On some forums comments have been made that my chances are slim to none (not from all). There is a bet on only 11 days on trail at my work:glare:. The way I look at it is, this is the first thing I've done just for me in a LONG time. If I get this 53 yr old body to Springer and START my hike, I will be a happy man.
Thanks ALL of you for your help, advice and suggestions over the last year+.

Take Care
Karl
Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258977)
My Spot Map (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0TIccRpLnhzuqOYyDSxiKxFqmyp6K7B F6)

Take-a-knee
12-27-2008, 10:06
Good luck Karl, take it easy and don't overdo mileage early on and you'll do just fine. Have a great hike and a good time.

peanuts
12-27-2008, 10:08
well kayak karl, i will be at springer on nye, so i will see you of!!!
but i will not be taking the approach trail...:rolleyes:

but why 7 days of food?????

Hooch
12-27-2008, 10:11
Karl, when in doubt, crap on the naysayers. If you want to start off season, then go for it. Best of luck and happy hanging all the way to Maine! :thumbup1:

Shug
12-27-2008, 10:11
Gonna be a wonderful time and you should stay plenty warm in your set-up.
The trail can be icy and I use Yak-Tracks up here in Minnesota when it is not deep enough for snowshoes. They do give a good grip, are easy to put on and make your walking in slippery stuff a wee bit less tiring. http://yaktrax.com/ProductsPro.aspx
Bring extra insoles as well for max comfort of the feet.
I envy your trip and wish you happy hiking in the piney woods. Will keep up on your journal.....
Shug

kayak karl
12-27-2008, 10:24
Gonna be a wonderful time and you should stay plenty warm in your set-up.
The trail can be icy and I use Yak-Tracks up here in Minnesota when it is not deep enough for snowshoes. They do give a good grip, are easy to put on and make your walking in slippery stuff a wee bit less tiring. http://yaktrax.com/ProductsPro.aspx
Bring extra insoles as well for max comfort of the feet.
I envy your trip and wish you happy hiking in the piney woods. Will keep up on your journal.....
Shug
already in pack:D with a set of instep crypons also. Thanks

Shug
12-27-2008, 10:33
Atta Boy!!!! Happy walking.

Red Hat
12-27-2008, 11:10
Have a great hike and say hi to my buddies Rocky and Swamp Fox (not hammocking) but starting 1/1.

Coffee
12-27-2008, 11:23
I finished Southbound Jan 20th last year. I heard a lot of your not going to make it, get bored, and all the same stuff you probably do.

You will be fine. Enjoy and hike the way you want to when your there. Don't be afraid to wait out the weather when needed. Extra food, extra batteries for the headlamp, and a pad to sleep in the shelter if needed and all will be good.

Ok I need to stop before I quit my job and join you.

Peter_pan
12-27-2008, 11:23
Enjoy your hikin and hangin.... Be sure to take a butt pad for breaks etc....You'll want to be insulated on anything that you sit on at this cold and often damp time on the AT.

Pan

BillyBob58
12-27-2008, 12:02
Whoo Buddy, as Shug might say! This is going to be a wonderful adventure, and a superb real word test of hammocking. And you are using my first ( an still a favorite) hammock, the HHEXPUL, the hammock that gave me my first blissful nights of sleep deep in the Rockies. But with the oh so wanted zipper mod.

I will definitely want to follow your trail journal. Keep your powder(i.e., down) dry, Pilgrim!
Bill

P.S. post a gear list when time allows!

Nest
12-27-2008, 12:38
I finished Southbound Jan 20th last year. I heard a lot of your not going to make it, get bored, and all the same stuff you probably do.

You will be fine. Enjoy and hike the way you want to when your there. Don't be afraid to wait out the weather when needed. Extra food, extra batteries for the headlamp, and a pad to sleep in the shelter if needed and all will be good.

Ok I need to stop before I quit my job and join you.

Come on out with me. Leaving March 1st again. You know you want to.

Coffee
12-27-2008, 14:14
Come on out with me. Leaving March 1st again. You know you want to.

I do more than I can say. Need to wait a while and get the life in order before the next big trip. But if I would happen to get fired, that is a different story.:rolleyes:

Che Guevara
12-27-2008, 15:53
Think of me when you pass through Central PA. I grew up near the trail. Never hiking the PA part of it, Ain't that strange??? Have to agree with the start out slow comment. Build mileage as you get your legs under you.

2Questions
12-27-2008, 16:25
Check in from time to time. I'd like to meet you when you get to PA. Until then, enjoy the adventure, the hanging, and everything else the AT will grant to you.

Rockdawg69
12-27-2008, 19:53
Go for it. Leigh and Josh are great at Hiker Hostel. We were there last weekend and did Approach Trail to Springer on Sunday. Temps got to about 10 Monday morning with gusting winds (15 to 40) - don't know the wind chill, but it was really cold. Guessing you might have a pair of neoprene padding gloves on hand - take them if you have them. I wish I had carried mine so I could untie/tear down without freezing the old fingers. Otherwise, your main gear looks okay from here and should do you well through April's Easter surprise.
Rock On down the trail and have a great hike!

Take-a-knee
12-27-2008, 21:26
Go for it. Leigh and Josh are great at Hiker Hostel. We were there last weekend and did Approach Trail to Springer on Sunday. Temps got to about 10 Monday morning with gusting winds (15 to 40) - don't know the wind chill, but it was really cold. Guessing you might have a pair of neoprene padding gloves on hand - take them if you have them. I wish I had carried mine so I could untie/tear down without freezing the old fingers. Otherwise, your main gear looks okay from here and should do you well through April's Easter surprise.
Rock On down the trail and have a great hike!

After being out the cold for about ten days your hand/fingers grow new capillaries and don't get as cold as long as your core maintains enough warmth to maintain circulation. In Alaska they called it getting "trail hard".

Hooch
12-27-2008, 21:55
But if I would happen to get fired, that is a different story.:rolleyes:I can arrange that for a nominal fee.

kayak karl
12-27-2008, 22:48
i added My map to my first post. im carrying a SPOT. i know people have mixed feeling about the thing, but what the hell. gonna have some fun with it.
My Map (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0TIccRpLnhzuqOYyDSxiKxFqmyp6K7B F6)

Nest
12-28-2008, 00:42
i added My map to my first post. im carrying a SPOT. i know people have mixed feeling about the thing, but what the hell. gonna have some fun with it.
My Map (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0TIccRpLnhzuqOYyDSxiKxFqmyp6K7B F6)

Saw a couple people with one this year, and they didn't have any complaints. I see it as another luxury item that's a matter of personal preference. You're living out there for 6 months. It makes it easier if you aren't always carrying the bare minimum in gear.

Coffee
12-28-2008, 09:24

What Nest said. Carry whatever you want. I saw more people than not carrying extra things to make life more comfortable.

Plus most of the people with the mixed feeling will tell you there will always be other people around or you will always get a cell phone signal. Just not true. That time of year people will be few and far between. I went a week or 2 without being able to use my cell phone including towns. Given I didn't keep it infront of me wanting to make a call the whole time. Just when I would get it out. In terms of people I can remember a lot of times the only people I saw were the ones I were hiking with.

I saw some of the Jan 1st starters last year. A couple do it every year and think there are 'the s***', the rest of them look just as much as a deer in headlights figuring things out as I remember myself and everyone else was. You will be fine.

One more side note is don't plan on anything that says seasonal or a lot of other hiker services to be open. They only open for the northbounder wave and don't care about anyone else.

kayak karl
12-29-2008, 11:06
well i survived the train ride. 14 hrs. am now at the hiker hostel resting

Cannibal
12-29-2008, 11:08
Enjoy the hike! Very much wish I was there.

NCPatrick
12-29-2008, 11:11
well i survived the train ride. 14 hrs. am now at the hiker hostel resting

Have you got an online Trail Journal we could follow? Happy trails!

NCPatrick
12-29-2008, 12:04
Oops. Link to TJ was on first post.

duhhhhhh... :o

Perkolady
12-30-2008, 10:05
Wishing you a wonderful adventure, Karl!!
Start out slow, and enjoy the hangs!

Perkolady

T-BACK
12-30-2008, 11:02
Safe journey brother. I wish I could say that I wasn't jealous, but I am. Take care of yourself and watch out for ticks as the weather warms up. One ended my hike! Say hello to Josh and Leigh from the HF Group! God Bless.

Nest
12-31-2008, 01:34
Wishing you a wonderful adventure, Karl!!
Start out slow, and enjoy the hangs!

Perkolady

Go slow enough and I'll see you out there!

Iafte
12-31-2008, 09:45
Have fun out there and I'll try and get out to hike with you when you are close to PA/NJ/NY.

slowhike
01-01-2009, 21:50
Go slow enough and I'll see you out there!

Hike slow... yes, that's what I've been trying to say:D

Youngblood
01-02-2009, 06:32
Kayak karl was on Springer for NYE and ready to head out on the 1st.

BEAS
01-02-2009, 11:28
I thought I might try and follow him on his "spot" it does not appear he has moved as of 1030 central time?

Nest
01-02-2009, 12:32
I thought I might try and follow him on his "spot" it does not appear he has moved as of 1030 central time?

I rarely woke up before 11 am on my thru because of my hammock, so give him a couple more hours.:D

IndyDan
01-02-2009, 18:51
I am interested in following Kayak karl with the Spot, too.
I know that if conditions are cold ... those batteries will not last long.

My wife will not let me out on the trail without some type of beacon locater, so the Spot may be the answer.

slowhike
01-02-2009, 22:07
I rarely woke up before 11 am on my thru because of my hammock, so give him a couple more hours.:D

I'm having a hard time believing that about you... me maybe, but not you:)

Nest
01-02-2009, 22:25
I'm having a hard time believing that about you... me maybe, but not you:)

Yep. A couple times I woke up around 2 or 3 pm as people were setting up for the night next to me. Only twice did I start hiking before 9 am, and just a handfull of times before 11 am. Of course I night hiked over half the trail too, but it was fun.

riverkeeper
01-03-2009, 15:05
I rarely woke up before 11 am :D

And I thought that was just me.

irrationalsolutions
01-03-2009, 15:55
i have done some night hiking and to me it seems less rewarding. usually when i do it its in the winter. i do it then because its colder at night and for me its easier to stay warm while hiking because i'm moving. i'm planning my thru hike for 2012 so i'll have to see then what i actually end up doing.

Coffee
01-03-2009, 16:51

Ahh the northbounders. Hiking by 6 or 6:30am a lot southbound. Then again it was dark at 5pm and I don't care for night hiking.

Nest
01-03-2009, 22:05
I love night hiking. I actually plan on summiting Springer this year at midnight on March 1st. See many different animals, and you have the entire world to yourself. Got to sit on a bluff just south of Bear Mtn, NY and ate dinner at 11 pm while looking at the New York City skyline in the distance. Also got to watch a high school football game at 9pm from a mile away on a bluff. Because everything around it was dark and the stadium was so well lit I could see pretty well. Little dots running around. Also got to summit Mt Moosilake at 2 am, and Mt Washington at 11 pm when the hurricanes were in the area. That one was stupid, but still really awesome. Also saw Sasquach just north of Nuclear Lake in NY at 11 pm.

The trail at night is a whole new world. Had to buy new batteries at every town stop though, and that got expensive.

Youngblood
01-04-2009, 07:40
I love night hiking. I actually plan on summiting Springer this year at midnight on March 1st. See many different animals, and you have the entire world to yourself. Got to sit on a bluff just south of Bear Mtn, NY and ate dinner at 11 pm while looking at the New York City skyline in the distance. Also got to watch a high school football game at 9pm from a mile away on a bluff. Because everything around it was dark and the stadium was so well lit I could see pretty well. Little dots running around. Also got to summit Mt Moosilake at 2 am, and Mt Washington at 11 pm when the hurricanes were in the area. That one was stupid, but still really awesome. Also saw Sasquach just north of Nuclear Lake in NY at 11 pm.

The trail at night is a whole new world. Had to buy new batteries at every town stop though, and that got expensive.
How did you do with falls and staying on the trail?

The year I thru'd there was one guy who would hike into the evening and just use a bivy in the middle of the trail. There was one story of someone night hiking without a light that tripped over him. Off course that was inconsistent with his claim to be able to see well enough without a light. I heard the story directly from the one who could see well enough without a light but was complaining about the inconsiderate sob that he tripped over because he bivy'd on the trail.:D

Doctari
01-04-2009, 13:40
I like the spot, may get one & leave the cell at home. I carry the cell for my wife, so this way she can watch me (ie: not worry about me) without me having to have a C-fone signal.

BTW: Karl was just N of blood mt sh as of 11:57 after taking a break. That is info my wife would like as I'm hiking.

IndyDan
01-04-2009, 16:13
I just found an interesting feature of the Spot. To view a topographic plot, simply click the right button over one of the messages in the message panel. Then select the “Show Altitude Profile” option from the menu. Technology is great!

Take-a-knee
01-04-2009, 17:24
I like the spot, may get one & leave the cell at home. I carry the cell for my wife, so this way she can watch me (ie: not worry about me) without me having to have a C-fone signal.

BTW: Karl was just N of blood mt sh as of 11:57 after taking a break. That is info my wife would like as I'm hiking.

That is cool, that means he's likely had a shower by now at Mountain Crossings. He'll have a pleasant couple of days of hiking Mon and Tues.

kayak karl
01-04-2009, 21:05
y
That is cool, that means he's likely had a shower by now at Mountain Crossings. He'll have a pleasant couple of days of hiking Mon and Tues.
your right. 2 snicker bars, shower, clothes, sourcraut and pork dinner (pirate cooked it for us). having a great time. we camped at first water before Blood Mt. my flying tent (superfly) got a lot of funny looks. so far 9 degrees w/10 mph winds, 32 degree w/20 mph, 45 degree w/rain (built my own ego system that night, last 50 degrees w/rain (tarp off ground 18", no condensation.
Having a Blast :)

Nest
01-04-2009, 21:53
How did you do with falls and staying on the trail?

Ummm... well I didn't fall or get off the trail. I didn't fall once my entire hike (and I don't use poles, haha). As far as not getting off trail, I actually have no idea how I did it. Even on the rocks scrambles, and above treeline I never got off trail. I guess I just kind of sense the trail. With the random chaos of how the trial is designed, there is actually a logical pattern to where it goes and I would subconciously follow it.

Youngblood
01-05-2009, 07:05
Ummm... well I didn't fall or get off the trail. I didn't fall once my entire hike (and I don't use poles, haha). As far as not getting off trail, I actually have no idea how I did it. Even on the rocks scrambles, and above treeline I never got off trail. I guess I just kind of sense the trail. With the random chaos of how the trial is designed, there is actually a logical pattern to where it goes and I would subconciously follow it.

No falls, no getting off trail, no poles, night hiking... are you sure you were hiking the AT?:D Next time you are going to have to try hike blindfolded just to make it a challenge.

Coffee
01-05-2009, 07:36

No falls, no getting off trail, no poles, night hiking... are you sure you were hiking the AT?:D Next time you are going to have to try hike blindfolded just to make it a challenge.

Man I had problems following the trail in the daylight! I guess that is the life of a southbounder in late fall with all the leaves on the ground.:cool:

Mrprez
01-05-2009, 09:07
KK is on the move. Left Neels Gap an hour ago. This SPOT thing is pretty neat. Anyone else have one? The SO might rest easier knowing where I was.

NCPatrick
01-05-2009, 09:27
Y'all are freaking me out. If I ever get a SPOT, I'm only telling my wife. I would dislike it immensely if everyone knew where I was at all times.

Youngblood
01-05-2009, 09:47
Y'all are freaking me out. If I ever get a SPOT, I'm only telling my wife. I would dislike it immensely if everyone knew where I was at all times.

Tell me where you work and I will send one to your boss.:lol:

Mrprez
01-05-2009, 09:47

It is kinda spooky, but he offered the link publicly so I would assume he doesn't mind people watching.

NCPatrick
01-05-2009, 09:52
It is kinda spooky, but he offered the link publicly so I would assume he doesn't mind people watching.
Yes, this is true. No blame assigned.

Tell me where you work and I will send one to your boss.:lol: :scared:

Mrprez
01-05-2009, 13:31
Yes, this is true. No blame assigned.

:scared:

But would really be spooky is if we could zoom in on him while he was walking. Like they do on TV shows! He's really moving today. Already 7 miles down the trail!

Take-a-knee
01-05-2009, 16:16
But would really be spooky is if we could zoom in on him while he was walking. Like they do on TV shows! He's really moving today. Already 7 miles down the trail!

Zoom in is what a C-130 Spectre gunship can do, from 10,000ft no less. KK is enjoying one of the most pleasant sections of the state of GA today, part of the trail is an old road bed, easy walking. He'll make up for it after Unicoi when he climbs Tray Mtn.

kayak karl
01-05-2009, 19:07
it is kind spooky, i can change map and link when i want, but after that "Where's Karl" the AT runner where the spot didn't work. i just wanted to see if it worked. my family has been having fun with it. i figure i'll do it alittle longer. the technology is great, but very SPOOKY :)

Mrprez
01-05-2009, 19:20
I enjoyed "watching" you hike today. :) I have been looking for a solution to the age old spousal issues of wondering if the SO is OK tonight. This seems to work pretty well. Even without the tracking feature, the ability to send an email or text message to a person (or several it appears) is worth it to me. Carrying a cell phone is fine when they work but frustrating when they don't.

Thanks for letting us walk along with you. I hope you are having a great time out there!

John

IndyDan
01-05-2009, 19:43
Two years ago for a 400-mile AT section hike, I used the Aerofix Personal Beacon (purchased from sportys.com). Used by the military and the US Coast Guard because of the quality of construction, durability and reliability. You have to register the unit with NOAA. It will transmit your location within 100 meters. It is not for tracking or reporting your location… strictly used in a emergency situation.

Looks like maybe I’ll sell the Aerofix on e-bay and purchase the Spot.

Nest
01-05-2009, 21:00
Man I had problems following the trail in the daylight! I guess that is the life of a southbounder in late fall with all the leaves on the ground.:cool:
Yeah, leaves are a whole other issue. We had some trouble in the deep snow in the Smokies, but nothing too bad.

it is kind spooky, i can change map and link when i want, but after that "Where's Karl" the AT runner where the spot didn't work. i just wanted to see if it worked. my family has been having fun with it. i figure i'll do it alittle longer. the technology is great, but very SPOOKY :)
If nothing else it will keep you honest. If you go yellow blazing or something we will know, especially if you have some markers on the interstate. It's like a little snitch in your pack.

You should put it in a priority mail box, and send it across the country. Occasionally call the Post Office and have the box bounced to another part of the country. That should stir things up with the family.:D

Red Hat
01-07-2009, 13:44
KK's journal on Trailjournals seems to have disappeared... or is it just my computer? Hope he is okay. My buddies Rocky and Swampfox mentioned him several times in their journal.

jeffjenn
01-07-2009, 14:14
Red, journal is still there he & has added a couple of posts to it.

Red Hat
01-07-2009, 14:19
I keep getting a "journal missing" message even though his name is still listed in the journals and it shows a new update, but when I click, "journal missing"... His spot shows him somewhere between Unicoi and Dicks Creek Gaps. He'll probably head into Hiawassee if the weather gets bad.

Okay, now I clicked and got it... go figure... rain he says... good reason to head to Hiawassee. Rocky and Swamp Fox are probably staying warm in Helen...

Red Hat
01-10-2009, 12:52
Looks like Karl will be in North Carolina tonight. He's back on the trail after Hiawassee.

BEAS
01-14-2009, 08:19
It appears that Karl flew right past Franklin and Ron Haven??? What was he thinking???
BEAS

Cannibal
01-14-2009, 09:46
It appears that Karl flew right past Franklin and Ron Haven??? What was he thinking???
BEAS

He must be suffering from some mental illness. :D

jlb2012
01-14-2009, 11:45
looks like he might be pushing for SORUCK

BEAS
01-17-2009, 13:46
Any Body Heard From Karl? I havent seen him move in 2 days and man it is cold in the Smoky's right now for that matter it is cold everywhere. I saw his update on the trailjournals 2 days ago.

BEAS

Doctari
01-17-2009, 13:56
He must be suffering from some mental illness. :D

Cannibal has a good grasp of the painfully obvious.

OF COURSE HE HAS MENTAL ILLNESS, HE IS A HIKER! :rolleyes:

It's question #4 on the application form: "Is you is or is you aint sick in da haid?" if I remember right. The correct answer is '52' by the way.

DUH!

I on the other hand am perfectly sane! After all: Dosn't everyone camp in a hammock in sub freezing temps? :lol:

To quote one of our wise men: "Whoooo Buddy!"

Bearpaw
01-19-2009, 14:28
Karl was at SoRUCK. Good meeting him. He got to spend time with Ron and MANY others there.

Red Hat
01-22-2009, 10:49
Yep, made SoRuck, now he's at Fontana. Looks like he plans to head into the Great Smokey Mountains tomorrow (Jan 22)... temps in the single digits, snow, brrrrr...

Rushthezeppelin
01-23-2009, 13:21
Well he just crossed over into Tennessee.

kayak karl
01-28-2009, 16:49
on 1/26 at icewater spring shelter 5 different hiking groups showed up. 12 in total. strange for a monday in january. shelter holds 12. i slung the hammock from sleeping area to over common area. about 5 feet in the air and just slid down in from loft. everybody there was great :) it was cramped, but did't go to the ground yet.

slowhike
01-28-2009, 18:01
Way to go Karl!!! And good to hear from you!

LostCause
01-28-2009, 18:17
Awesome! I like the SPOT thing. Thanks KK for sharing your hike with us!

Red Hat
01-29-2009, 12:25
KK, you should be warm and dry at Standing Bear now. Take time to relax a bit before you head to Hot Springs. Glad to see you are doing well. Hike on!

Narwhalin
01-29-2009, 12:29
Wow! You are awesome, dude! Way to go! :D

Cannibal
01-29-2009, 12:37
Watch your water before Max Patch, there is a long dry stretch right before the bald; the guides lie! Great spot to camp just past the bald (good trees and a fire ring). Water for camp is about 100 yards or so past the camping area, just stay on the Trail. I found it the next morning and was wishing I knew it was there the night before. You can walk back up and watch the sunset from the bald. It was my favorite sunset of the whole hike.

Make us proud Kayak Karl!:thumbup1:

kayak karl
02-09-2009, 21:24
Watch your water before Max Patch, there is a long dry stretch right before the bald; the guides lie! Great spot to camp just past the bald (good trees and a fire ring). Water for camp is about 100 yards or so past the camping area, just stay on the Trail. I found it the next morning and was wishing I knew it was there the night before. You can walk back up and watch the sunset from the bald. It was my favorite sunset of the whole hike.

Make us proud Kayak Karl!:thumbup1:
it was dry in most of NC and Tenn. most spring dry or frozen and only streams had water. BUT there was alot of snow to melt:) i will be turning off spot map for a spell after Damascus. will turn it back on to test the green tunnel effect. hammock's been working out great. checking out temps to see when i can drop down from 0* and unload some of this winter clothing. im thinking somewhere in March, but the first two weeks of March are so unperdictable. Any ideas:confused: Thanks for Your Support.:D

Nest
02-09-2009, 22:01
it was dry in most of NC and Tenn. most spring dry or frozen and only streams had water. BUT there was alot of snow to melt:) i will be turning off spot map for a spell after Damascus. will turn it back on to test the green tunnel effect. hammock's been working out great. checking out temps to see when i can drop down from 0* and unload some of this winter clothing. im thinking somewhere in March, but the first two weeks of March are so unperdictable. Any ideas:confused: Thanks for Your Support.:D

I think you would be safe to go to a slightly warmer setup. Maybe a 15 or 20 degree if you have it. Might save you a pound. Once you leave Damascus all of your high elevations are behind you, so you can lose more weight there. You just aren't high enough to get into as much trouble as you would in the south or north.

Cannibal
02-09-2009, 23:36
I agree with Nest, but I'd still give Mama Nature a healthy dose of "I don't trust you". I'd probably carry warm gear thru most of March. Even at those elevations a miserable night is still a miserable night.

Doctari
02-13-2009, 14:57
Noticed that the spot isn't posting the past few days. Journal dosn't mention stopping it, & he is N of where the last spot is.

Egad, I think I am obsessing about that spot thing. :scared:

Still, it sounds like he is having a great time don't it!

Ramblinrev
02-13-2009, 20:32
i will be turning off spot map for a spell after Damascus. will turn it back on to test the green tunnel effect.

He warned it would be turned off....

Doctari
02-13-2009, 20:38
He warned it would be turned off....

OH!

well me kant read kan i. ;)

Ashman
02-14-2009, 06:53
I wouldn't get rid out winter atuff and extra gear until I was past Mt. Rogers, the weather there is crazy even in summer time

Red Hat
02-14-2009, 09:58
I think his gf at home was getting a bit paranoid about all the folks following him on his SPOT and had it turned off so only she could access it. He should be heading into Damascus. I'm just following his trailjournal now. He's doing fine.

WrongTurn
02-14-2009, 17:47
Yeah I ran into a bunch of girls carrying them on my short section last summer. Couldn't figure out how they thought that carrying something that told anyone who found their log exactly where they were kept them safe. I'd think using it only to send out distress calls would make more sense. A guy though I dont see a real problem.

kayak karl
02-20-2009, 20:00
hey hangers:cool: doing OK. leaving Damascus in the morn. the SPOT was making family nervous (not me) so i closed public tracking. cool thing about it you can run three maps at a time. i proved it works, but lets see with leaves on the trees in the spring:). hammock is great. dropped to a 20* with a liner (still mt. washington under quilt) for the different temps ive been seeing. my main problem is weight loss. 235-205 in 50 days. am increasing calories and eating 5 times a day. any suggestions would be appriciated. thanks for all your support. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262056

Take-a-knee
02-20-2009, 22:32
Karl, start pouring olive oil on everything you cook, it is healthy fat. Try drinking a protein shake at night if you aren't doing so. Take care and have fun. Give us a report on the Mt. Washington UQ when you get a chance.

Nest
02-21-2009, 00:48
Cheese and the tuna in sunflower oil were what kept me going. I put atleast half a pound of cheese in every dinner on my hike. Cream cheese, parmesean cheese, shredded cheese, pepperjack cheese blocks, etc.

The tuna pouches are real popular, not sure if you like them. If you do make sure you get the ones that say in sunflower oil not in water. Quite a few more calories and fat. The docs at trail days said that fat isn't as important with the exercise on a thru, instead fosuc on protein. The fat is burned off before it has time to attach to your body. The protein on the other hand turns into muscle overnight, and your body will eat that as you hike. You can't stop your body from eating itself (the muscle), so give it something to eat. That was my understanding. Of course the doctors told me I was dying, so take their advice for what it's worth.:scared:

Youngblood
02-21-2009, 06:55
.... my main problem is weight loss. 235-205 in 50 days. am increasing calories and eating 5 times a day. any suggestions would be appriciated. thanks for all your support. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262056
The only thing that keeps most nobos from starving is getting to Kathadin and getting off the trail.:D All kidding aside, you will figure it out. Your body will crave calories, margarine or olive oil or peanut butter on most everything and double rations etc. Plenty of Ben & Jerry's, cheeze burgers, etc at town stops. The mid Atlantic states will have lots of great eating opportunities almost daily. Take advantage of what presents itself. In general, the more weight you lose the better hiking shape you will be in and the quicker you will make it to the next town stop. Eat well when you can. You are or will become an endurance athlete.

You are doing great... some day you will clear Virginia and have another state to finish.:D

kayak karl
02-21-2009, 08:49
Karl, start pouring olive oil on everything you cook, it is healthy fat. Try drinking a protein shake at night if you aren't doing so. Take care and have fun. Give us a report on the Mt. Washington UQ when you get a chance.
the mt washington took me down to 0* at spring mt shelter where i stayed for 36 hours in a snow storm wareing boxer briefs and a light weight wicking shirt. stayed warm the whole time. only problem was the elastic in the quilt tentioners FROZE (they got wet a few days before, NOTHING dries when its that cold:))and would not pull tight. i put my tarp tentioners on the side loops and hooked the other end to ridge line. that helped alot.

Doctari
02-22-2009, 07:20
I heard from one thru hiker last year who said he ate a stick of butter one time when he got into town. That would add calories to your day, but YUCK!

I second the cheese & olive oil suggestion.

BillyBob58
02-22-2009, 08:58
Plenty of protein AND fat should help, if you are not already maxing that out. But I have never done over 30 days straight ( lost 22 lbs- 194 down to 172!), though there were zero days not on the trail. I can think the advice here about taking advantage of town days would be a huge help.

But I think my main problem was lack of protein. I am a big fan now of protein shakes ( mixed into water and dry milk). Though it is not my favorite, I have thought about using Muscle Milk because it contains plenty of fat along with the protein. The trouble with most dry milks is lack of fat.

If I have this right, my understanding is that your body burns mostly fat at rest, and stored carbohydrate ( stored in muscle and liver) at higher rates of exercise. The key being the heart rate, or how hard you are working? At the lowest exercise levels( casual stroll around the neighborhood), you still burn mostly fat. As soon as you start getting to the higher levels of an aerobic work out, you switch almost entirely to carb burning, until you run out. Then your body will start converting muscle to carb.

If the above is correct, then the question is at what hear rate do you stop using mostly fat for energy? And can that even be controlled most of the time by a hiker, practically speaking? The next question for me would be: If I can't stay in fat burning mode most of the day on the trail, should I be loading up on carbohydrate most of the day? To supply the body with the carb that it wants to burn during exercise anyway, trying to prevent eating my own muscle? I don't have any muscle to spare!

Shadowmoss
02-22-2009, 09:47
To find dry whole fat milk, look for Nido in the latin foods sections of grocery stores or WalMart. There are a couple of types of Nido. If it has a picture of a toddler on the front of the can, it is probably meant to be used as baby formula. That one is not whole milk, although I like it better. Nido whole fat dry milk is the only one I've found.

Rushthezeppelin
02-22-2009, 16:01
Ya I can testify that Nido is some good stuff. I've only done overnights so I don't know how it does at keeping you from burning muscle but it is byfar the tastiest dry milk I've ever had. Nothing like a freezer bag of cold cereal in the morning : )

Take-a-knee
02-22-2009, 16:50
Ya I can testify that Nido is some good stuff. I've only done overnights so I don't know how it does at keeping you from burning muscle but it is byfar the tastiest dry milk I've ever had. Nothing like a freezer bag of cold cereal in the morning : )

I agree, I don't have coffee creamer in my house anymore, I just use the Nido.

Nest
02-22-2009, 18:01
The only thing that keeps most nobos from starving is getting to Kathadin and getting off the trail.:D

A few of us did actually consider this. With the rate of yuor body depleting itself, we wondered if thru hiking is actually slowly killing yourself. How long could you go at that pace before you just couldn't go anymore?

Ewker
02-22-2009, 19:43
With the rate of your body depleting itself, we wondered if thru hiking is actually slowly killing yourself. How long could you go at that pace before you just couldn't go anymore?

Andrew Skurka is an accomplished 27-year-old professional backpacker who is most well known for his two monumental long-distance hiking firsts -– the 6,875-mile Great Western Loop and the 7,778-mile Sea-to-Sea Route

Rushthezeppelin
02-22-2009, 19:56
Man somebody needs to get a hold of this guy and find out his secret. Hes probably just bringing tubs of lard along with him :lol:

BillyBob58
02-22-2009, 23:58
Man somebody needs to get a hold of this guy and find out his secret. Hes probably just bringing tubs of lard along with him :lol:

Though I lost that 22 lbs in 30 days any way, I remember we would add butter even to our hot chocolate in an attempt to load enough fat to keep warm. And a whole bunch of cheese and nuts.

Peter_pan
02-28-2009, 09:43
the mt washington took me down to 0* at spring mt shelter where i stayed for 36 hours in a snow storm wareing boxer briefs and a light weight wicking shirt. stayed warm the whole time. only problem was the elastic in the quilt tentioners FROZE (they got wet a few days before, NOTHING dries when its that cold:))and would not pull tight. i put my tarp tentioners on the side loops and hooked the other end to ridge line. that helped alot.

KK,

Glad that your hike is progressing well...

Thanks for the report on the JRB Mt Washington UQ....It is impressive to see you comfortable for a prolonged period, even after a 30 pound weight loss, at 0 degrees in just boxer briefs and a light shirt...

Ingenious use of the Tarp tensioners.... Sharing these field expediant "tricks" helps us all... Please keep it up.

Enjoy your hike and stay warm.... Hope to see you at Trail Days....

Pan

NorseAmerican
03-03-2009, 12:22
KK dropped off trail. Lost too much weight and Dr. said take a break. Too bad for him. I enjoyed his trail journal.

Coffee
03-03-2009, 13:02
Hopefuly then it is just a break. Still early in the year. No big deal to finish in another 7 months.

NCPatrick
03-03-2009, 13:04
Yep, probably not good if you're getting dizzy on the trail... I enjoy KK's TJ too.

kayak karl
03-03-2009, 16:12
Hopefuly then it is just a break. Still early in the year. No big deal to finish in another 7 months.
got a doc appointment thur. just going to redo diet, gain some weight and get back out there:) after i talk to him i will start a thread for menu ideas. the doc is really interested in what i eat when hiking. i have to take the samples of the food with me so he can do a breakdown. don't want to go into details, but i never almost ran out of TP before :eek:

Cannibal
03-03-2009, 16:17
Never leave town until you have consumed at least 2 pints of Ben & Jerry's; best advice I can offer. :D
I know you have to be itchin to get back out there. Good luck and a quick return to the good life!

NorseAmerican
03-03-2009, 16:42
got a doc appointment thur. just going to redo diet, gain some weight and get back out there:) after i talk to him i will start a thread for menu ideas. the doc is really interested in what i eat when hiking. i have to take the samples of the food with me so he can do a breakdown. don't want to go into details, but i never almost ran out of TP before :eek:

Maybe you picked up bad water somewhere?

kayak karl
03-03-2009, 17:40
Maybe you picked up bad water somewhere?
nope! had that before and this wasnt it. i treat EVERYTHING. 15 years in the resturant business, ive been poisoned before. nice to know:scared:, aint it.

NorseAmerican
03-04-2009, 06:21
Me too! 15 years in hell as Chef! Got poisoned twice(not at my place) and it was not fun. What most think is food illness is really the affects of rich food and drinnk. Used to work NYC, Jersey Shore.
Good luck, Get well and back on the trail!

kayak karl
08-02-2009, 10:37
im heading back out. taking the train to Maine 8/9. gained some weight back and changed my diet. im going to test my SPOT in the GREEN tunnel this time. this is the link http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0er8unaU01ZeQRD0bqp5TqCzDIiYFie 63 (ignore the test trackings). my journal is http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=284828
again id like to thank all of yous for your support, and help with my hammock gear. im going to try to hike south to Va. , but if not, I'M STILL HAVIN' THE TIME OF MY LIFE:thumbup:
Thanks again,
Kayak Karl

Oh-No
08-02-2009, 11:00
im heading back out. taking the train to Maine 8/9. Kayak Karl

Good luck Karl. We'll have to get together for kayaking when you get back.

Take-a-knee
08-02-2009, 13:50
Have a good hike Karl, enjoy yourself and be careful.

Ramblinrev
08-02-2009, 14:24
Let me know when you are due in PA and I'll see if we can arrange a trail feed for you at one section along the way.

ikemouser
08-03-2009, 18:55
I am hammocking my thru hike. (Why? does spell check want "hammocking" to be "Ham MOCKING" :confused:???). Don't even own a tent to go to the ground:D Will be using a EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM w/zipper mod. and webbing ring buckle system. A Warbonnet Superfly Tarp. Jrb Mt. Washington under quilt and an Adrenaline 0 degree bag modified for over quilt. Pack packed and 7 days of food. Came in at 33#. Not bad from my first summer hike 1 1/2 years ago at 55# for 3 days. Train leaves Wilmington Del. 4:19 PM Sunday the 28th. I'm staying at the Hiker Hostel for 2 days (to wind down) then will do the approach trail on 12/31. Then Ed Speer's party :thumbup: On some forums comments have been made that my chances are slim to none (not from all). There is a bet on only 11 days on trail at my work:glare:. The way I look at it is, this is the first thing I've done just for me in a LONG time. If I get this 53 yr old body to Springer and START my hike, I will be a happy man.
Thanks ALL of you for your help, advice and suggestions over the last year+.

Take Care
Karl
Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258977)
My Spot Map (http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0TIccRpLnhzuqOYyDSxiKxFqmyp6K7B F6)

Goodluck buddy, hope you make it.

Splinter
08-09-2009, 07:45
Good Luck!!!!

kayak karl
08-21-2009, 14:18
Made it to Monson. Beautiful up here. Hung on the waters edge 4 nights. Zipper mod is working great :)

Red Hat
08-21-2009, 16:57
How are you enjoying those mud bogs, Karl? Fun, huh? Have a great hike!

JayS
08-21-2009, 17:12
Great that you're back out!! We'll be following along. Would love to be with you around Monson.

billslade
09-08-2009, 14:02
I saw Karl the other day outside of the Mahoosuc Notch in Maine. He is doing well and really enjoying hammock life on the trail.

Karl - I hope your Thru hike is as wonderful as mine and the White mountains treat you well.

Best of luck to you from Andover, ME

Bill

jeffjenn
10-05-2009, 22:38
Anyone heard any new news on Karl? I see he has looked at the forums, but not posted. Hope you are feeling better Karl.

kayak karl
10-06-2009, 06:08
Anyone heard any new news on Karl? I see he has looked at the forums, but not posted. Hope you are feeling better Karl.
thanks for asking. that bug i got kicked my butt. the ankle will take a little longer to heal. its the muscle that attaches above ankle and runs under the arch. its used for turning and side steps. i had a great time. i try not to let anything take away from that.
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/42802/2174359180104593866S425x425Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2174359180104593866BGNnas)
hanging on the side of a stream in Maine