PDA

View Full Version : Any Marylanders in Here?

OldRagFreeze
12-27-2012, 11:21
I live in Frederick, MD and have been watching here for hangouts nearby and haven't really seen anything. Is there not much representation for MD on here?

mph5
12-27-2012, 11:54
Spring MAHHA in April won't be far for you. Be sure to come to that!

SkyPainter
12-27-2012, 13:06
The MAHHA and The Jersey Winter Hang are both worth driving to. Especially if you like to eat!!

~ Sky

Downhill Trucker
12-27-2012, 15:04
I'm from Baltimore and there are quite a few hangers close to you. I have only been to one MAHHA hang but there were over 100 people there!

bdaabat
12-31-2012, 00:16
Hey OldRagFreeze. Another Maryland hanger here (Ellicott City) who has not yet attended a group hang and is interested in doing so.

Bruce

jwright
12-31-2012, 05:26
Hi from Gaithersburg.
Plenty of MD/VA/WVA'ers here. I went to my first hang Fall MAHAA this year and it was a blast. Big turn out and lots to see and touch, oh and the food........

Can't wait for the spring hang.

Keep an eye out as well for people posting about local AT trips, especially as the weather improves.

Jason

Cranky Bear
12-31-2012, 10:48
Another Md'er here---

There are many hangs close to Md, one MAHHA Hang used to be held Md but recent events have had us looking for another location as we just overgrew that spot. Also some who go for hikes in or near Md that post it up for others to join if they like.

Look here- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=112

NarlocB
01-03-2013, 12:43
I'm from Frederick as well, missed the fall MAHHA due to work, but have several hammocks all waiting to be put through some testing. Thought about going to the AT trail on 40 and just heading off into the woods for some stealth camping but with 3 kids and the wife's crazy schedule till April, I will be hard pressed to find any me time.

lazy river road
01-03-2013, 12:49
MARYLAND represent!!!!!!

I live right outside of B-More city. I've gone to several MAHA's as well as other group hangs and us MD'ers do represent. Maybe once the weather gets nice again well have to have a MD BBQ at a local park or something like that.

But check out the MAHA's, Jerzy Hang those are the two closest I can think of.

Atlas918
01-07-2013, 10:24
There are plenty of hangers in MD. The spring MAHHA will be coming up in April. Look at spending at least one night there, it is quite a sight!

OldRagFreeze
01-07-2013, 10:53
I'm from Frederick as well, missed the fall MAHHA due to work, but have several hammocks all waiting to be put through some testing. Thought about going to the AT trail on 40 and just heading off into the woods for some stealth camping but with 3 kids and the wife's crazy schedule till April, I will be hard pressed to find any me time.

No need to stealth camp, there are plenty of great shelter sites around. My current favorite is Rocky Run. Two shelters and a sweet swing-chair all down in a beautiful hollow. It feels remote, despite being only a couple hundred yards from some houses over the ridge. There's also a great day hike up to White Rock, which has a great view SE. On a clear day you can see well into VA. It's a mile South from Reno Monument Road, or 4.5 miles North from Gathland state park. If you go out there on a weekend night and see a hammock it's likely me. :D

I live right outside of B-More city. I've gone to several MAHA's as well as other group hangs and us MD'ers do represent. Maybe once the weather gets nice again well have to have a MD BBQ at a local park or something like that.

I'd love to do something like that on the AT. I've been considering hauling my Weber into the above mentioned site for a while to spend the day hanging and smoking (pork of course!)

hercdiver
01-08-2013, 20:32
Live south of Baltimore. My wife and myself both hang. Went to the MAHHA last year and loved it!

dink712
01-08-2013, 21:04
eastern shore of maryland here!

WalksInDark
01-12-2013, 18:30
I live in Germantown, MD and get out on the AT a bunch of times each year.

MAHAA and Mt. Rogers are two great hangs that are not terribly far away.

Additionally, I may be going to the NJ hang at the end of the month. If you want to carpool togethor just let me know.

Demeter
01-15-2013, 21:23
Another Eastern Shore!

+1 on Rocky Run shelter: it's my favorite.

If you want someone to camp with outside of the trips here, check out Meetup.com . There are lots of nearby camping/ hiking/ backpacking groups. I am a member and hike leader of DC Backpackers Meetup and they have lots of trips to WV, VA, MD, PA.

Vincebus
01-28-2013, 11:34
I'm new to the forums and hammock camping too, however, I live in MD (Taneytown) as well. I have yet to camp in a hammock but, i'm getting ready to DIY my first one in the coming weeks while preparing for some Spring hiking/hanging on the AT...

normis1
01-28-2013, 13:26
Kensington, MD here.

+100 on Rocky Run - simply awesome. My other favorite site is Pogo Campground on the other side of the I-70 footbridge.

funkwrench
01-29-2013, 09:19
Sorry. What's that?
Joe
Baltimore city

lazy river road
01-29-2013, 10:38
Sorry. What's that?
Joe
Baltimore city

MAHA

Mid Atlantic Hangers Association.

Its a free membership all you have to do is show up :laugh:. MAHA happens twice a year. Once in the Spring at Pine Grove Forest St. Park and one in the Fall. In previous years the Fall MAHA was at Gathland St. Park but we have out grown the site and are currently looking for a new one. You can find the MAHA planning threads in the Trip Planning section of the forum. Hope this helps.

funkwrench
01-29-2013, 13:37
MAHA

. . . You can find the MAHA planning threads in the Trip Planning section of the forum. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much!

harleynemo
01-30-2013, 20:44
MAHA

Its a free membership all you have to do is show up :laugh:. MAHA happens twice a year. Once in the Spring at Pine Grove Forest St. Park and one in the Fall. In previous years the Fall MAHA was at Gathland St. Park but we have out grown the site and are currently looking for a new one. You can find the MAHA planning threads in the Trip Planning section of the forum. Hope this helps.

I think it is MAHHA....Mid Atlantic Hammock Hangers Association;)