PDA

View Full Version : material- too many choices perhaps?

surreal_trip
12-30-2012, 00:32
So a few questions- I've e-mailed Randy but I figured I'd post this here to you the owners of the 253 hammocks he's already made!

And here it is!

I'm a heavy guy, what do you suggest material wise? I'd like a tough material that's still comfortable and soft. double layer of course. I was thinking the 1.9 oz night grid- but i don't get the difference between a lot of the fabrics... with that said I think the 2.6 crinkle is cool but it just doesn't look as tough and resilient in the photos(haha). Without the opportunity to really touch and handle the material it's tough for me to just shell out nearly 300 bucks. what are your recommendations for all this?

I want this to replace my hennessy as my go to hammock. As you noticed I started a thread awhile back on the hammock forums to show me their dangerbirds. This has given me an idea on the range of colours but not much on how the guys feel in them. For instance, how jarring is the colour difference on the crinkle taffeta, will I be waking up in the morning light getting glittery reflections and thinking I'm stuck on the set of a twilight movie?

And finally, I plan to lose a lot of weight over the next few years, is this hammock going to cocoon me when i do lose said weight? I don't want excess material flapping in the breeze and my face all night.

Well thanks a lot! hope to hear from you soon.

ibgary
12-30-2012, 08:08
How heavy?

MAD777
12-30-2012, 09:49
Do you need a double for use with a pad or is a single layer still an option?

breyman
12-30-2012, 09:57
The taffeta is certainly nice against the skin, but I personally prefer the slight stretch that 1.1 ripstop provides. As already mentioned, it depends a bit on your exact weight and needs. If it were me, I'd probably go with a 1.1 or 1.6 DL. That way, it'd hold your weight and give you the flexibility of using something in between the layers if you ever need to.

surreal_trip
12-30-2012, 10:26
I'm 265 so most single layers are out.

breyman
12-30-2012, 10:36
I'm 265 so most single layers are out.

Most any double-layer should serve you fine in this case, especially if you plan on shedding a few.

Is the weight of the hammock an issue (for backpacking, etc.)? If so, I'd go 1.1 DL. If not, I'd go with the 1.6 (or as a last resort) a 1.9. As I mentioned previously, I like the slight stretch of the lighter ripstops.

In the end, though, any double layer will serve you well. Unless weight of the hammock is an issue, it might just suit you to choose whichever color you like. In the end, aesthetics are important.

PapaSmurf
12-30-2012, 20:37
I'm pushing 260 now. :( and really need to get out more than I have lately.

Many of you know I like a heavy, non-stretch fabric under me and don't care for any "springyness" in my hammocks.

My regular "shop hammock" now is a single layer 2.3oz Woodland Camo Poly/Nylon blend.
It's got a great feel to it and is rock solid. I've got it rated at 265lbs, but I'm thinking it would be plenty comfortable for someone heavier than this. I even decided to take this one out for last month's Boy Scout campout. I'm thinking I need a new DangerBird using this fabric.

The other fabric I've been real happy with is the 1.6oz ACU Camo ripstop nylon. Soft, pliable and not the slightest plastic feeling. If you're thinking double layer, I'd suggest looking closely at this one.

michiganhanger
01-02-2013, 22:47
I'm pushing 260 now. :( and really need to get out more than I have lately.

Many of you know I like a heavy, non-stretch fabric under me and don't care for any "springyness" in my hammocks.

My regular "shop hammock" now is a single layer 2.3oz Woodland Camo Poly/Nylon blend.
It's got a great feel to it and is rock solid. I've got it rated at 265lbs, but I'm thinking it would be plenty comfortable for someone heavier than this. I even decided to take this one out for last month's Boy Scout campout. I'm thinking I need a new DangerBird using this fabric.

The other fabric I've been real happy with is the 1.6oz ACU Camo ripstop nylon. Soft, pliable and not the slightest plastic feeling. If you're thinking double layer, I'd suggest looking closely at this one.

What fabric feels the best on the skin and is the softness that would support 230# in a SL?

PapaSmurf
01-03-2013, 08:23
Contact me with your address and I'd be happy to get a swatch of the 2.3oz Woodland Camo mailed out to you.

WV
01-03-2013, 08:50
I'm told Ed Speer used Supplex nylon for his extra-strength hammocks. I started out with this fabric (from Quest Outfitters), and I still like it a lot. It's tough enough for dog hammocks, but feels incredibly soft. Use it single layer.
PapaSmurf's 2.3 oz Poly/Nylon blend sounds like a good choice, too.

SteveJJ
01-03-2013, 10:03
I got my DB72 in dual layer crinkle taffeta, dark brown outside and champaign inside. The HHExplorer was like a dungeon. The lighter inside color combined with so much interior space makes a true dream hammock for me. I don't care about weight. I do care about strength, and jamming a pointy elbow into the fabric doesn't concern me, it feels very tough. Stealthy dark outside, capacious light airiness inside, strong, quality workmanship throughout, and comfort beyond compare! What's not to love about it?