PDA

View Full Version : Mirage's Primaloft Quilt

funbun
02-27-2007, 14:25
I making a Mirage Primaloft Quilt (http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html). His instructions (http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/Primaloft_Quilt_instructions.html) call for 5 yards (15 feet). Is that so you can make two quits? It seems that half that length would be good for one quilt.

Coffee
02-27-2007, 14:39
You need enough for the top and bottom piece of DWR with the insulation in the middle like a big sandwich. For me that would make just over 12 feet or 4+ yards. The 5th yard is to account for that and seams.

funbun
02-27-2007, 15:20
You need enough for the top and bottom piece of DWR with the insulation in the middle like a big sandwich. For me that would make just over 12 feet or 4+ yards. The 5th yard is to account for that and seams.

So there are four layers to the quilt?

lvleph
02-27-2007, 15:21
I don't think I really understand how one puts a quilt together, and I cannot seem to find any directions with good pics.

funbun
02-27-2007, 15:28
I don't think I really understand how one puts a quilt together, and I cannot seem to find any directions with good pics.

Yeah, I hear ya. Many instructions read as if you're inside their brains and already understand exactly what they mean.

lvleph
02-27-2007, 15:44
I was going to start a quilt in the next couple weeks, and the more I read the less I know. Someone please direct me.

lvleph
02-27-2007, 16:16
They are too bulky too expensive and I don't like Ray Jardine. He has great ideas, but I have my opinion of him.

Just Jeff
02-27-2007, 16:28
One layer of DWR for the top shell - ~78"
insulation in the middle
One layer of DWR for the bottom shell - ~78"

Add in seam allowances (a few inches), account for loss of length as the insulation lofts (another few inches)...and you're looking at ~162" of DWR....or about 4.5yds. Use the leftovers for a matching stuffsack.

funbun
02-27-2007, 16:36
One layer of DWR for the top shell - ~78"
insulation in the middle
One layer of DWR for the bottom shell - ~78"

Add in seam allowances (a few inches), account for loss of length as the insulation lofts (another few inches)...and you're looking at ~162" of DWR....or about 4.5yds. Use the leftovers for a matching stuffsack.

Okay, that makes sense.

Just Jeff
02-27-2007, 16:41
Good. Don't forget to make the original cuts longer than you want the quilt to be. If you want a 78" long quilt, that layer should be cut to 78" + 1" seam allowance on each end + loft allowance. So maybe 81" before you start sewing. Or 82" if you're making a thick quilt.

blackbishop351
02-27-2007, 18:21
They are too bulky too expensive and I don't like Ray Jardine. He has great ideas, but I have my opinion of him.

Take a look at Patrick's KAQ directions:

http://www.kickassquilts.com/MakeTOC.html

The Potomac is an underquilt, but that just means it's more complicated than a top quilt - you can get the parts you need and skip the stuff you don't.

As far as Jardine's kit, I can understand you not liking some of the stuff he has to say. Fact of the matter is, though, you can't get the materials you need to make his quilt for what he charges for the kit - AND it comes with nicely detailed instructions. And if you're that worried about bulk, you can modify his design to reduce bulk/weight, or just spring for down.

blackbishop351
02-27-2007, 18:28
Hmmm - Ray Jardine's instructions include pictures and are very clear. Following them step by step is easy and when you get done it looks exactly like the pictures. 3 pages with clear pictures and a diagram or 2.

I would copy and post here, but since he makes a living selling the kits and asks the buyers to honor his copy right, It wouldn't be right to do so.

You might want to consider one of his quilt kits. They really are pretty good. I've seen comparisons of the XP and Primaloft with the 3D he uses and the XP and Primaloft seem to win the calculation contest easily. I had a Primaloft mummy bag and the Primaloft lost the usage contest badly. Never used the XP, but might consider trying to find some and making a Jardine quilt from some if I can find any.

Good luck finding Polarguard. The Climashield XP you can get from Thru-hiker.

blackbishop351
02-27-2007, 18:30
So there are four layers to the quilt?

Yes - 2.5 yards DWR for the outer shell, 2.5 yards each for two layers of insulation, and 2.5 yards DWR for the inner shell. That's the standard ~ 30* quilt makeup. Mirage's, Jardine's, Patrick's...all the same basic idea.

lvleph
02-27-2007, 19:09
I am not using Polarguard 3d. I was going to use Primaloft Sport. I thought that I had figured out that I only need one layer for 40F, but now I am starting to doubt myself. I was originally going to use down, but being a vegetarian I had a big problem with this, and decided against it. It is worth the extra weight in my opinion. However, when I calculated everything out it seemed too light (11 oz for a 6'x4' underquilt).

The way I figured out the weight was:
Primaloft Sport has a a CLO=0.74 and basis weight of 3oz
Total CLO for 40F would be 2
2/.74=2.7oz of insulation per Sq.yd
So that would mean I need 1 layer of the Primaloft.
Total Weight of Primaloft=3oz/Sq. yd*(6ft*4ft)/(9Sq.ft/Sq. yd)=8oz
Weight of Fabric=1.1oz/Sq. yd*(6ft*4ft)/(9Sq.ft/Sq. yd)=2.9oz
For a total estimated weight of 10.9oz.
This seems entirely too light.

Peter_pan
02-27-2007, 19:25
I am not using Polarguard 3d. I was going to use Primaloft Sport. I thought that I had figured out that I only need one layer for 40F, but now I am starting to doubt myself. I was originally going to use down, but being a vegetarian I had a big problem with this, and decided against it. It is worth the extra weight in my opinion. However, when I calculated everything out it seemed too light (15 oz for a 6'x4' underquilt).

Yup...that is waaaaaaay off....one layer has a clo of .74 and weighs 3.0 oz / sq yd.

Pan

lvleph
02-27-2007, 19:30
Hmmm, I was going by what Ayce had said on Thru-hiker. I think I will ask him what that is all about.

slowhike
02-27-2007, 19:35
i added 3 really simplified drawings of quilt construction in the homemade gear gallery. if you go to that gallery, you can see all three along w/ what's written below them.
one is the most commonly used method where you sew three sides together w/ the insulation showing, then turn it inside out so the insulation is inside. then sew the remaining opening closed.
this gives you a nice looking, finished seam around the edge.

if you want a simpler version, you can use this meathod http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P2270003.JPG
you lay the three layers the way they will be in the finished quilt, then sew the edges, leaving enough extra of one of the shell layers to fold over & sew again to give another kind of finished edge.
note the suggestion of leaving extra width on the insulation & top shell to prevent compression when you pull the quilt around you.

blackbishop351
02-27-2007, 20:16
I am not using Polarguard 3d. I was going to use Primaloft Sport. I thought that I had figured out that I only need one layer for 40F, but now I am starting to doubt myself. I was originally going to use down, but being a vegetarian I had a big problem with this, and decided against it. It is worth the extra weight in my opinion. However, when I calculated everything out it seemed too light (11 oz for a 6'x4' underquilt).

You can bet on a good-sized quilt weighing somewhere between 18 and 28 oz. And according to AYCE, Climashield XP works better for a large project like a quilt anyway. At least go with something continuous filament - you don't want a sewn-through quilt. Unfortunately Polarguard 3D is hard to find right now.

lvleph
02-27-2007, 20:43
The XP has scrim which ends up weighing more it seemed.

Jazilla
02-28-2007, 08:40
Man quilts are getting real popular. I had a buddy ask me why cause cause winter is almost over. I said its the DIY fever. He just looked at me with a puzzled look.

slowhike
02-28-2007, 08:46
Man quilts are getting real popular. I had a buddy ask me why cause cause winter is almost over. I said its the DIY fever. He just looked at me with a puzzled look.

a light weight quilt is perfect in the summer too. very versatile.

funbun
02-28-2007, 10:56

Yeah, plus anything below 70 deg F is cold to me. It'll be that way for a while still. Night's are still in the 40s here in Alabama. Once night's get above 70 I probably won't need a quilt.

Coffee
02-28-2007, 11:03

Some people just don't get it. I am planning my next bugnet. I got the look from my roommate.:p

Jazilla
02-28-2007, 11:50
Some people just don't get it. I am planning my next bugnet. I got the look from my roommate.:p

My wife asked me why if I already have a Hennessey why I need a homemade hammock. I asked her why I didn't need one.

Coffee
02-28-2007, 11:55
My wife asked me why if I already have a Hennessey why I need a homemade hammock. I asked her why I didn't need one.

Next time ask her why she needs that second pair of shoes.

Actaually you might not want to. I currently do not have a wife/girl friend, commnets like that might not go over well.:rolleyes:

lvleph
02-28-2007, 12:28
Next time ask her why she needs that second pair of shoes.

Actaually you might not want to. I currently do not have a wife/girl friend, commnets like that might not go over well.:rolleyes:

I do it anyway. She gets p.o.ed. You should see the look I get when I tell her we are not going to drive to the store and that we should walk. She says , but I hate the one that is near us, and I tell her that I don't want to spend the money on gas and I don't want to pollute. I end up driving half the time.

Just Jeff
03-01-2007, 17:37
AYCE already has a pretty detailed thread on clo in his archives. Have a look through there and you'll get the info you need.

funbun
03-09-2007, 14:39
Question, instead of making draw string sleeves as Mirages has, why not just make a more tie outs ( 5 or so on the 60 inch ends)? It seems easier than making little tiny pockets for the draw string. Run one rope through the webbing, tie both ends off to a mini biner, and clip the mini biner it to the descending rings. How does that sound?

Or maybe drop the mini biner and just use toggles?