PDA

View Full Version : three HH mods that work together

MacEntyre
01-04-2009, 08:48
It seems to me that these three mods work together to a large extent:

tarp: suspended separately
bugnet: #2 Mod Bugnet Zipper
suspension: rings & garda hitch

With the stock design, the tarp and the hammock are suspended together, so you have to learn how to get the tension right for both. I tend to suspend the HH too tight in order to keep it up in the air, so I can crawl in through the bottom. It takes a lot of practice to suspend with knots alone, using no hardware, and have the hammock stay where you put it, especially for us 200+ pound hangers.

You untangle the constraints by making these mods.

With the zipper mod, you suspend the hammock closer to the ground for top entry. You want the tarp where you want it, not necessarily just above the structural ridge line, so it should be suspended separately. The rings and garda hitch make for a fast hang that stays put, and now you are suspending the hammock by itself, near waist height, with easy adjustments that do not affect the roof as well.

Isn't this the way most other good hammocks work?

Just Jeff
01-04-2009, 08:58
That sounds like a good set of mods to me. One note - if you don't pull your suspension so tight, but instead raise the huggers on the tree to change the hammock height, you'll sag less b/c it changes the forces on the hammock.

This may be one reason some folks get really saggy tarps using the HH method and others rarely get it...I wonder if the folks who rarely complained about it weren't pulling their suspension so tight so they didn't sag as much. Regardless, it's enough of an issue that I hang my tarp separately.

Youngblood
01-04-2009, 09:05
The stock Hennessy tarp with the ULBB is about as small as you can get by with. That makes it a different situation where it needs to end up closer to the hammock than larger tarps. So if you hang it separately you still need it pretty close to the hammock and that may not be so easy to do. I think I ended up tying one end to the hammock suspension and one end to a tree when I was using it.

Take-a-knee
01-04-2009, 09:32
I would say about the best "mod" for a Hennessy is one a brand new OES Macat medium in Spinnaker, it weighs almost exactly what that dinky stock tarp weighs.

HappyCamper
01-04-2009, 09:34
It's been a long time since I used my HH with its original tarp, lines, etc, but I'm wondering if the ones who don't complain, also added tensioners to their tarps.

Doesn't the design of the Hennessy and original tarp and lines lead to tarp sag if you setup as suggested without tarp tensioners?

Attach tarp to hammock suspension line. Guy out original tarp lines and stake to ground Get into hammock -- hammock and tarp drop due to your weight. Tarp guy lines don't take up slack without tensioners. Tarp sags.

If you attach tarp to trees instead of hammock, you don't get this kind of tarp sag. But then the hammock drops away from small original tarp and seemed like it had less protection from blowing sideways rain, which is why I liked to keep original tarp connected to hammock suspension.

Ramblinrev
01-04-2009, 09:40
The stock method for hanging the tarp on a hennessey allows for adding tension to the tarp with the prussics. I think the directions for hanging the nennessey adds to the confusion. If you hang it "tight" as the sack directs you will get an excessive sag when the hammock is loaded whcih will loosen the tarp tension. If you raise the huggers on the trees and allow the suspension to sag a bit, you can tenstion the tarp and not have it disrupted as much when the hammock is loaded.

Persoanlly I hang my tarp separately so that I have a place to work if I need for inclement weather.

MacEntyre
01-04-2009, 10:03
You know, I have no trouble at all keeping warm in my HH. The challenges are setup, wind and rain.

I much prefer my large camo Guide Gear cat cut tarp... I forget the size. You are right, Youngblood, the smaller tarp must be closer to the ridge line. If you enter through the top, won't it be a bit too close?

The original Hennessey design, installed in two or three minutes, with two straps and two stakes, is very cool... that's what I have been using with good success. However, I have never hung without insulation, and I've had to deal with wind often. The quick, stock setup becomes more complex. I've never hung in the rain, but I would like to be well prepared, with a setup that goes in dry, and stays dry with use, even in wind driven rain.

Just seems that relaxing the design constraints by separating the issues of suspension, cover and entry, improves things tremendously.

Just Jeff
01-04-2009, 10:45
If you have the $$, spring for an aftermarket tarp. You can get a MacCat from SpinnTex or a JRB 8x8 for almost the same weight as the stock HH. The extra coverage is worth it for rain coverage, a place to cook, etc.

MacEntyre
01-04-2009, 11:41
I got this (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247)in 9'X9' after seeing it on ToTheWoods.net. Works well, especially for hunting.

elcolombianito
01-04-2009, 12:27
Ive used this setup (except for the zipper mod,though i really want it). Garda hitch was great except for the fact that the rings i can get here are all bumpy and irregular and they were messing the ropes. Im now back to the Ring Buckle with long straps, which is working great, specially after seeing Neo's video on his setup because when i first used this system i didn't make the stopper knot, so the straps would eventually slip through the rings with weight on it and this just wasn't nice, hehehe.

Any way, Rings are the way to go for me and i definetly recommend it, as well as the fly attached appart from the hammock, even though i can't say attaching it to the hammock -under conditions from nice hot days and nights to close to heavy rains and winds- has ever not worked for me, and im talking about the stock expedition fly. I normally use the poly hex, but have a crush for the silnylon tarps.

Nice setup, awsome to see hh owners who don't give up on the funky hennessy hammocks ;) .

BillyBob58
01-04-2009, 13:43
The stock Hennessy tarp with the ULBB is about as small as you can get by with. That makes it a different situation where it needs to end up closer to the hammock than larger tarps. So if you hang it separately you still need it pretty close to the hammock and that may not be so easy to do. I think I ended up tying one end to the hammock suspension and one end to a tree when I was using it.

Ditto that. You want that little tarp as close to the hammock as possible even AFTER hammock sag has occurred. This is pretty much going to require attaching at least one end of the tarp to the RL.

Though Jeffs comments about attaching the hammock higher on the tree must also be considered, rather than pulling the RL real tight and ending up with max sag. This ( attaching high on the tree) may reduce sag enough to not only reduce tarp flap when attached to the HH prussicks, but maybe even allow both ends of tarp to be attached to the tree without a preposterous lack of coverage after sag. Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.

MacEntyre
01-04-2009, 13:54
At times I have attached the ends of the fly directly to the tree, but at a slightly lower point than the huggers. The fly makes a turn over the RL, but remains tight. What I don't like is the chafe...

BillyBob58
01-04-2009, 14:17
At times I have attached the ends of the fly directly to the tree, but at a slightly lower point than the huggers. The fly makes a turn over the RL, but remains tight. What I don't like is the chafe...

That tarp should remain nice and tight after you are in the hammock, if the tarp is attached to the trees. As the hammock sags but the tarp does not. But have you checked the coverage on the sides after the hammock is occupied, and do you find it adequate for wind driven rain, especially with no SS?

I always thought the coverage was pretty lousy after sag, even if I attached the tarp lower on the trees than the hammock. It never seemed to me like there was much chance of keeping sideways rain blocked. OTOH, a perfectly centered tarp attached to the prussicks, with the exact technique for tensioning advised by HH, always seemed nearly bombproof. And REALLY bombproof if used with the SS. But I am now wondering if I would have had less sag by attaching higher to the trees and not pulling so tight, allowing more success with the tarp attached (on one or both ends) to the trees?

jeffjenn
01-04-2009, 14:46
You know, I have no trouble at all keeping warm in my HH. The challenges are setup, wind and rain.

What do you use for insulation??

MacEntyre
01-04-2009, 16:19
OTOH, a perfectly centered tarp attached to the prussicks, with the exact technique for tensioning advised by HH, always seemed nearly bombproof. And REALLY bombproof if used with the SS.
I have had the same results... none of my experimenting has improved on the HH instructions, and the hammock has performed very well for me, as you know. If I had to stick with the stock hammock, I'd be perfectly happy.

Seriously, I have been busy using my Hennessey, and have not followed things on this forum. Then recently, Eureka! I learned about rings and zippers!

Once I get the #2 Mod Bugnet Zipper installed, and the rings permanently attached to the stubs of original suspension lines, I will be really happy! I will use the hammock as a chair, and I will get in and out easily. I won't have to stand on one foot to put on my boots. My gear hammocks and pack will stay dry, and will be accessible from the hammock. I will enjoy messing with the hammock tension without messing up the tarp tension. I will have enough tarp coverage so that the hammock is not the only thing that stays dry. I'll even be able to bring my motorcycle under the tarp alongside the hammock. :cool:

What do you use for insulation??
It's described in this thread about my toasty hang in 20 deg on New Year's Eve (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6551).

seawolf
01-05-2009, 14:17

Get the zipper mod from 2Q, you won't be sorry, i was ready to get rid of my hh before the mod, love it now.