PDA

View Full Version : South Louisiana trails

SHOTGUNWILLIE225
01-07-2013, 19:47
Got my new WBBB hammock and I'm wanting to get in the woods! I recently hiked the butterfield trial in the ozark mountains and am wanting to get out for a short trip close to home. I live in Baton Rouge so any suggestions?

swankfly
01-07-2013, 19:51
Yep, KISATCHIE!

You can base out of Kincaid Recreation Area and day hike or out and back the Wild Azalea or Caroline Dorman Trails.

Google will get you all you need.

swank

SHOTGUNWILLIE225
01-07-2013, 19:54
I've heard a good but about that national forest but hard to find solid info about trails. I'll keep looking.

swankfly
01-07-2013, 20:19
Kincaid has a loop trail that is nine miles, there are connector trails to Valentine and the (North?) end of the lake and Wild Azalea. There are maps available at the recreation area and ranger stations. Trails are well marked with mileage. Wild Azalea is an out and back.

Just north of you is a great day hike. Clark Creek Natural Area, lots of waterfalls it is a loop trail and poorly marked. About 6 miles...

Go here for more. http://www.hikelouisiana.org/index.html

swank

SHOTGUNWILLIE225
01-07-2013, 20:44
Thanks! I'm going to check out the wild azalea trail next week. Would go this weekend but, as you know, Mardi Gras season started and I have a ball to go to this weekend. Where can I get to the trailhead? Your suggesting that I hike into the first primitive camping area on the map and then hike back out? How many miles to the first camping area? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I want to make sure I get all of my info correct.

SHOTGUNWILLIE225
01-07-2013, 20:46
Are there campsites set up along the trail? And if so how far from the trailhead and how far apart?

swankfly
01-07-2013, 20:52
You can camp at Kincaid, improved and unimproved sites. You can drive right to these sites. The further you go in Kisatchie via Wild Azalea, Caroline Dorman or Backbone trails you will be "backcountry" there are several trail heads. Seriously, google it, there is a lot of info.

swank

SHOTGUNWILLIE225
01-07-2013, 20:54
Ok. Thanks.