PDA

View Full Version : TX>LSHT>Let's Try This Again>2/22 Thru 2/24

Pages : [1] 2

sargevining
01-11-2013, 08:23
Spaceweaseal and I are headed out to Section 1 of the LSHT again to try and hike that portion of the trail we got beat out of back in November. The Man can slow us down, but he can't keep us down. We're growed *** men and we'll do what we want! Liberty or Death! God Bless Texas!

Copies of LSHT Trail guide for this section (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=773427&postcount=19)

Trail Map (http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium/01wilderness_sc.pdf)

Tentative plan is to arrive Friday 2/22, park at PARKING LOT #1, then hike APPROX 1/2 miles down THE LITTLE LAKE CREEK LOOP TRAIL to a clearing that Caveman had located previously. Supper and breakfast at camp, then south along the MAIN LSHT to its intersection with the SAND BRANCH TRAIL, down it to the LITTLE LAKE LOOP TRAIL, and back North on it. Destination will be one of several campsites Spaceweaseal and I scouted during the Butt Bake in the vicinity of where the LITTLE LAKE LOOP TRAIL intersects FS Road 211A. Total mileage for Saturday is 10 +/-. We're not going to try the longer loop through the Wilderness, but others can give that a shot and meet us at the camp site. Be advised, however, that the Little Lake Wilderness can become impassable during wet weather, and we've had a lot of that round here lately.

The map shows two ponds on the trail, and one near the campsite. We know there is good dependable water at that last pond. It may be possible to cache water near the destination at the road just south of FS211A as that is open year round, or where the trail crosses FM1097. All of these cache sites are near the destination.

Hike out is either 3.5 miles back on the MAIN LSHT via the WEST FORK TRAIL or 3.05 miles on the LITTLE LAKE LOOP TRAIL.

CooOkieCOOon
01-11-2013, 11:58
Keeping my eye on this one..

^shane^
01-11-2013, 12:05
Me too. Don't know travel schedule yet, but I'd like to join in if I can.

The Wanna Bs
01-13-2013, 20:23
The Wanna B's who would normally want to tag along will be out of the country. Hope it goes well!

Caveman
01-14-2013, 11:12
The wife said I have to be home on the 23rd. I'll see if I can "weaseal" out of it :)

rhjanes
01-14-2013, 11:17
I won't make it. Big two-day orienteering meet in Athen's Texas.
they do have some really nice trees over on one camp area that hasn't been used except for remote Boy Scout camps, since the 1970's.....

lobatrain
01-14-2013, 23:47
I saw some pictures of LSHT and it looks great :)

sargevining
01-15-2013, 00:07
Yah, this section is pretty nice, and we're going to be venturing into the part of it we didn't get to when we did the Butt Bake.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58011

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=793685#post793685

There's about 5-6 miles in the Wilderness, more if you want to be hardcore and hike the 18 miler instead of the 11 miler.

The campsite that SpaceWeaseal and I found will hold 4-5 people in fairly close proximity on good, stout pines and is about 100 yards from the pond you see in Part 2 of the Scout The Wonder Dog Adventure. Right off the trail and not far from a Forest Service Road that is closed most of the year.

lobatrain
01-15-2013, 00:36
Cool! I'll keep an eye on this one..

rhjanes
01-15-2013, 09:52
speaking of the LSHT, any news on when the entire trail might be open?

sargevining
01-15-2013, 11:00
speaking of the LSHT, any news on when the entire trail might be open?

Last I heard, there was no forecast date due to the Forest Service having run out of money for the project. They won't let volunteers do it due to liability concerns and are hiring contractors to come in.

Map of current closed sections of the trail is here:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/closure/LSHT-closures.pdf

rhjanes
01-15-2013, 15:51
Map of current closed sections of the trail is here:

thanks! looks like 50 percent or more.....closed.

sargevining
01-23-2013, 12:34
Right now it looks like the only folks who are definetly going are Spaceweaseal and I.

Who else is coming?

I note that the Decatur thing was a "Bird" hang, with Dangerbirds and a Night Owl.

May be we could make this one a Weenie Hang.

I've got a Weenie and so does Caveman and Spaceweaseal. Anybody else want to hang thier Weenie?

CooOkieCOOon
01-23-2013, 12:43
I plan on coming, but not 100% sure yet..

Caveman
01-23-2013, 12:51
We also had a blackbird. :)

I'd love to come, but I'm just not sure I'm going to make it. The wife has plans for me on Saturday, so I hate to make the drive for just 1 night. Maybe I could come down saturday evening and then stay until Monday!? Oh man....the wheels are turning.

I'll let you know for sure as it gets a bit closer, but you can put me as a maybe.

spaceweaseal
01-23-2013, 13:38
We also had a blackbird. :)

I'd love to come, but I'm just not sure I'm going to make it. The wife has plans for me on Saturday, so I hate to make the drive for just 1 night. Maybe I could come down saturday evening and then stay until Monday!? Oh man....the wheels are turning.

I'll let you know for sure as it gets a bit closer, but you can put me as a maybe.

When you find out just let me know. I will try to squeeze a extra day out of my wife so I might get to stay sunday as well..

Caveman
01-23-2013, 13:43
You got it.....

When you find out just let me know. I will try to squeeze a extra day out of my wife so I might get to stay sunday as well..

sargevining
01-23-2013, 14:05
You know, this has the maiings of an epic weekend. I can see about getting that Monday off as well. Spaceweaseal and I could stay Friday thru Monday, other folks could come in Friday thru Sunday, others Satruday thru Monday.

We could camp near TH#1 on Friday nite, hike 8-9 1/2 miles on the loop Saturday and camp somewhere near TH#2, 8 1/2 miles on a differnt loop track on Sunday to the campsite Spacey and I found, then hike the three or so miles back to TH#1 on Monday morning.

Nobody would ever be camping more than three miles from where they parked no matter which day they would have to leave, and we would always be camping close to a parking place for Saturday evening arrivals.

spaceweaseal
01-23-2013, 20:14
I just got the ok for all three nights, (fri, sat, sun). :)

markrvp
01-23-2013, 21:28
I could do it the weekend before or after, but not the 22-24 :(

Caveman
01-24-2013, 09:39
I could do it the weekend before or after, but not the 22-24 :(

C'mon Mark....surely you could make some scheduling changes and get it to work out :)

JK, I understand, but it's still a bummer.

markrvp
01-24-2013, 18:31
C'mon Mark....surely you could make some scheduling changes and get it to work out :)

JK, I understand, but it's still a bummer.

If it were anything other than a scheduled Boy Scout Troop campout I could do it... unfortunately I'm the Scoutmaster and I have to be there. We're prepping for Camporee and my troop's going to win this year :cool:

Somebody please schedule a hang for one of the Spring Break weekends... March 9-10 or 16-17. I could easily do 9-11 or 15-17 for a 3-day.

Caveman
01-24-2013, 18:59
If it were anything other than a scheduled Boy Scout Troop campout I could do it... unfortunately I'm the Scoutmaster and I have to be there. We're prepping for Camporee and my troop's going to win this year :cool:

Somebody please schedule a hang for one of the Spring Break weekends... March 9-10 or 16-17. I could easily do 9-11 or 15-17 for a 3-day.

The arkansas hang is the weekend of March 9. It's a bit of drive, but you should consider going. It's looking to be a pretty great hang (me and a couple of others are going to be hiking the Buffalo River Trail too) The trail goes right by the campsites. Good Times.

Caveman
01-24-2013, 19:02
I got the green light from my Lady! I'm in! I'll get there sometime late Saturday and stay until Monday. Looking forward to it. :)

If anyone wants to rideshare from DFW just let me know.

spaceweaseal
01-24-2013, 19:15
I got the green light from my Lady! I'm in! I'll get there sometime late Saturday and stay until Monday. Looking forward to it. :)

If anyone wants to rideshare from DFW just let me know.

I will bring the spaghetti, soup and sipping whisky.

O, and a barf bag for you:lol:

^shane^
01-24-2013, 19:32
Hey Caveman... when this gets closer and I know my travel schedule, I may hit you up for a carpool. Would love to go if I can.

Caveman
01-24-2013, 20:23
Hey Caveman... when this gets closer and I know my travel schedule, I may hit you up for a carpool. Would love to go if I can.

Awesome...Just let me know.

Thanks Weaseal, it's comforting to know that you are looking out for me :)

CampWalker
01-25-2013, 00:47
I'm pretty sure I can do Fri, Sat, and out on Sun morning.....Mondays are tuff to take off. This hang sounds promissing......

gmcpcs
01-28-2013, 16:51
Hey Folks,

I am trying to get this in with a coordinated trip to visit a couple of colleges with my sons. (17 & 14) Looks like the trailhead parking lot is about a 7 hour drive from my location. So my understanding, this is a carry in/carry out hike? We ain't gonna be car camping, in other words. So I am trying to get my mind around those possibilities...

My possible itinerary would have us arriving Friday PM and visiting colleges after this fun event on Monday and maybe Tuesday :)

How soon do you need to know? And, what sort of permits will be needed?

Thanks, sargevining, for the planning info,

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

sargevining
01-28-2013, 17:15
Be glad to have you.

Correct on carry in and carry out. We'll be close enough to the cars on Saturday morning to go by and pick something up on our way down the trail, but will be camping about 3 miles from there Saturday night, which makes for about a two hour hike to the cars on Sunday AM.

No permits are required, but maybe you can bring one of those pretty goats who's pitchers that are on your welcome mat. I mean, who knows what's gonna happen after the Spacey breaks out the sippin stuff?

Hey Folks,

I am trying to get this in with a coordinated trip to visit a couple of colleges with my sons. (17 & 14) Looks like the trailhead parking lot is about a 7 hour drive from my location. So my understanding, this is a carry in/carry out hike? We ain't gonna be car camping, in other words. So I am trying to get my mind around those possibilities...

My possible itinerary would have us arriving Friday PM and visiting colleges after this fun event on Monday and maybe Tuesday :)

How soon do you need to know? And, what sort of permits will be needed?

Thanks, sargevining, for the planning info,

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

spaceweaseal
01-28-2013, 20:13
Daaaaaaadddyyyy....

gmcpcs
01-29-2013, 22:08
I got some with chickens on 'em, too.

spaceweaseal
01-29-2013, 22:13

I dont mind watching two chicks clucking..:lol:

gmcpcs
01-29-2013, 22:17
The chicken yard isn't safe when there's a weaseal around...

spaceweaseal
01-29-2013, 22:18
The chicken yard isn't safe when there's a weaseal around...

:lol: very true

sargevining
01-29-2013, 22:24

Ok, now you're getting kinky.

Texico
01-30-2013, 16:27
I'd like to make it, but I won't know one way or the other for sure until the week before. Put me down as a "maybe." Oh, and I have a WWM now, too!

CooOkieCOOon
01-30-2013, 16:35
I'm a definite, almost for sure- maybe.. :D

sargevining
01-30-2013, 18:03
I'm a definite, almost for sure- maybe.. :D

Dang.

You're from East Texas. I thought the prospect of barnyard animals being present would make you a definete fer sher.

CooOkieCOOon
01-30-2013, 18:06
Dang.

You're from East Texas. I thought the prospect of barnyard animals being present would make you a definete fer sher.

Haha! You would think! ;)

UncleMJM
01-31-2013, 11:24
I just realized that although I've subscribed to this thread and have been following it, I haven't posted to it yet.

I have the dates on my calendar and hope to make it. I'm working on my son to see if he'll join in too.

Caveman
01-31-2013, 11:31
Ya, we need some Longhorns down there :)

I just realized that although I've subscribed to this thread and have been following it, I haven't posted to it yet.

I have the dates on my calendar and hope to make it. I'm working on my son to see if he'll join in too.

spaceweaseal
01-31-2013, 16:18
Just three more weeks...

sargevining
02-01-2013, 00:36
Three weeks----

Since that means only two weekends, and Valentines Day in between, we might want to do some pre-hike housekeeping.

Caveman

You're the only one of the bunch who has been to Friday night's campsite. We are in danger of Spaceweaseal and I having to discover it, and who knows where the Paradox will lead? My general impression is that its about 1/2 mile south of TH #1 on the Little Lake Loop Trail. I see on this map (http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium/01wilderness_sc.pdf) that there's a pond about 3/4 mile (the yellow triangle with the "M01" notes "Mile #1" of the trail). IIRC, you said that pond was no great shakes and the the campsite was before you get there, is that corect? Is it on the left or right hand side of the trail, what kind of vegetation, nature of the terrain, trolls under bridges, sorcerers who will ask what the weight of a European swallow is, anything like that which might help us figger it out?

Also

You're coming in Saturday. Saturday night's campsite is just about a half mile from TH#2, just south of where the trail crosses FS211A, a bit more than about a quarter mile past where we camped at the Butt Bake, but you can also park at TH #1 and hike 3 miles down the Little Lake Loop and come right to it. I might be there when you get there (see below).

Since its likley to be only you, me, and Spacey for Sunday night, we can figure out a campsite for that Saturday night. The way the trail system in the Section is laid out, there's plenty of places where we can camp within 3 miles of where any of us are parking.

Spaceweaseal

You mentioned something about sketti. To help us in meal planning, what are your intentions/abilties there? Looks like anywhere from 4-8 people for Friday night and one more for Saturday. You got that much sketti?

I won't be bring the bake set---no muffins for anybody, especially if there's gonna be 7 or 8 folks, I'd likely run out of fuel before I get all those muffins done. If I'm going to pack food and fuel and water for 3 days, its probably wise to leave the extra weight behind, and besides, I'm trying to reform my packing habits.

I'm going to be posting a question regarding water source availability on the LSHT Yahoo Group to see if the streams are flowing and what is available in the Wilderness. We know the pond near Saturday has water that is fairly clean and filterable, but I beleive Caveman said that first pond smelled bad enough that it would drive a vulture off a gut wagon. We will be hiking back towards TH#1 on Saturday morning to connect with the main LSHT, so water could be stashed there and we can top off before going the long miles, we can also stage some where the Little Lake loop crosses FS211 south of TH#2 (about a mile from Satruday's campsite), and we can stash some at TH#2 as well if need be or if we just want to do belts and suspenders for water.

I'll be bringing Scout with me, I can't leave him alone for four days. He's nursing some kind of eye injury so I'll need to keep an eye on him anyway, but he should be healing up by then. He's also not a long distance hiking dog, although he has his days. He's 8 years old now, so I doubt I'll do much more than 6 or 7 miles a day with him. I'll plan my days around that and if he looks like he's going to have one of his more ambitious days, I'll compensate for that, but don't let me hold up anybody's plans. He's better in colder weather, so we have that going for us, and he did great at Brazos Bend last weekend ona 3 1/2 miler, but he did sleep reeeeeeeeaaaaal good and ate up all his food, which is a bit out of character for him. What that means is that I can locate the campsite and set things up and read the Kindle, maybe filter some water for when folks arrive.

spaceweaseal
02-01-2013, 01:57
I will bring enough "sketti" for 8-10 and. :)
If I can get out, I might go out next Fri or sat to scout out the area....

Caveman
02-01-2013, 09:13
The clearing that I remember was on the left side of the trail if you are coming from TH1 and around a half mile. I'm going to be getting in pretty late Saturday (probably after dark) so I'll be doing some night hiking. I'll most likely just park at TH1 and do the 3 mile hike in from there.

sargevining
02-01-2013, 14:30
The clearing that I remember was on the left side of the trail if you are coming from TH1 and around a half mile. I'm going to be getting in pretty late Saturday (probably after dark) so I'll be doing some night hiking. I'll most likely just park at TH1 and do the 3 mile hike in from there.

Some Intel from the Yahoo Group:

We walked a 16 mile loop on LSHT and Sand Branch two weeks ago. Most creeks had a small flow then. Generally, water quality looked good.

You can find the water but it is a bit of a pain to collect it.

The new camping areas (with the white bands on the trees) were great.

Please do not camp under or near the trees with the band of white paint. These
are cavity trees for the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker. The Forest Service
mows beneath these trees every spring to improve the habitat. It is a federal
violation to camp in one of these cleared areas.

There weren't any white bands on the trees were there?

Caveman
02-01-2013, 14:38
The area I'm talking about was a "dirt" clearing. I don't remember if there were white bands, but I don't think so. It's only 1/2 mile in, and we are hammock campers.....so we can stealth almost anywhere! :)

gmcpcs
02-01-2013, 17:33
You've got to be joshing; habitat for the endangered red cockaded woodpecker? Sounds like someone is sending you on a snipe hunt...

Anyway, my boys and I are planning to come, and since they are teenagers, let me know what you want carried. They can be loaded down with cast iron, cook pots, sketti fixins, or whatever. The caveat to that is they also have hollow legs.

It looks like we can get away for Friday, hit Baylor University, and get there by Friday afternoon/evening. We will stay Sunday night, and leave Monday and see Texas A&M, as long as we can get a shower somewhere...looking forward to making the trip :)

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

gmcpcs
02-01-2013, 17:40
Also, I have a brand new "in the box" sawyer squeeze, and Daniel has one of those water filter things in a squeeze bottle. I need to set up Wesley with a PLUQ, and some sort of backpack to carry it all in...planning out loud.

I can actually bring some fresh eggs from the chickens, if that could be used. Will there be a burn ban, or can we use a bush buddy stove?

:thumbup1:

Take it Easy,
gmcpcs

steinerj
02-01-2013, 21:13
You've got to be joshing; habitat for the endangered red cockaded woodpecker? Sounds like someone is sending you on a snipe hunt...

Actually not as you can see from the following link on the TPWD website http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/birding/red_cockaded_woodpecker/
I believe the billboards at the LSHT trailheads also state not to camp under or near the trees with white paint bands. . .

spaceweaseal
02-01-2013, 21:21
Ok guys, this needs to slow down a little.
I go out to have a good time an relax so let's just slow down.
Too much planing can make it a chore and I already have too many chores!
It's all good..:)
Happy Hanging

sargevining
02-01-2013, 21:24
I'll check on the burn ban with the Yahoo Group and get back. As far as carrying stuff, this is pretty much a BYO affair except for Spaceweaseal's sketti. Water filtration is also an individual thing. I'll be bringing my Sawyer, and maybe the Steripen, but the Katadyn is staying home.

Looks like we'll qall have sketti at least on night. Everybody should bring thier own stove, but I don't think anyone will mind if someone needs a hand. I can bring a UQ and a pack if its needed--I've got small, medium, and large---you'll need to judge how much volume you'll need. I can toss all of them in the truck.

And yah---the habitat thing is for real. The guy who posted it is in a position to know, so no camping in the nicely mown campsites with the white rings painted on the trees.

FWIW:

I'd recommend canister stoves for this thing unless you don't have one (I've got a couple on order, but they're coming from China so might not be here by then, otherwise I's promise one).

spaceweaseal
02-01-2013, 21:25
This is my plan...
1. I show up Friday and have a great time hanging with everyone.
2. Sat I wake up, (maybe with a hangover) and spend the day having a great time.
3. Sunday i have a great day with my new friends.
4. Monday come home.

Simple...

sargevining
02-01-2013, 21:27
That was quick:

I was at the Ranger Station today and the Smokey Sign out front was green. No
ban in effect.

sargevining
02-01-2013, 22:19
This is my plan...
1. I show up Friday and have a great time hanging with everyone.
2. Sat I wake up, (maybe with a hangover) and spend the day having a great time.
3. Sunday i have a great day with my new friends.
4. Monday come home.

Simple...

Aren't you the guy who left his UQ home last November?:lol:

sargevining
02-01-2013, 22:38
Spacey's right in one respect:

Most of us are planning our food, fuel, clothing, etc. as if nobody else was going on this trip. That doesn't mean that folks can't or shouldn't make gracious offers of sketti and such, but since this is an A to B to C and back to A hike for some of us, we're going to be outfitted so as to be light and mobile----at least that's my goal for the weekend. The campsites are close enough to each other so that some of y'all can do modified car camping if you so desire, and this IS the place where those who want to do that can discuss that aspect of thier own hike. And since we've got at least one person showing up after dark on Satruday, we do have to have that campsite chosen in advance---just as we need to have one chosen for Friday since folks will be arriving at different times.

HYOH & HYOH. (Hang Your Own Hang and Hike Your Own Hike)

spaceweaseal
02-01-2013, 22:52
Aren't you the guy who left his UQ home last November?:lol:

WE DONT TAALK ABOUT THE PARADOX!!:cool:

gmcpcs
02-01-2013, 23:15
OK,

We will "plan" accordingly. Now that I know what this birdy looks like...
http://magazine.nature.org/idc/groups/webcontent/@web/@magazine/documents/media/red-cockaded-woodpecker-700x45.jpg

Take it easy,

gmcpcs

sargevining
02-02-2013, 19:43
Just heard from Babelfish5 and he's coming along as well.

Spacey, the pressure is on. You're serving sketti to "The Man" when it comes to dehydrated hammock hanging vittles.

spaceweaseal
02-02-2013, 20:10
Just heard from Babelfish5 and he's coming along as well.

Spacey, the pressure is on. You're serving sketti to "The Man" when it comes to dehydrated hammock hanging vittles.

Cool but to be honest I make what I like and like what I make.. I spent a lot of time cooking for other plp's taste so now I just worry if I like it or not..:D
Man this is going to be a great hang...

sargevining
02-02-2013, 22:21
Yah it is.

And you know I lubs me a buncha Spaceweaseal Sketti. I'm a comfort food kinda guy.

Can you do Mac N Cheese?

spaceweaseal
02-02-2013, 22:42
Yah it is.

And you know I lubs me a buncha Spaceweaseal Sketti. I'm a comfort food kinda guy.

Can you do Mac N Cheese?

I am not a big fan of Mac N Cheese but I make it for my wife and son all the time. I make big batches of country Mac n chees with diced ham in it with bread crumbs on top and freeze some. My wife does not cook so when I am gone she just pops it in the oven.
"Happy Wife, Happy Life":D

sargevining
02-02-2013, 22:44
Speaking of food. I went to Kroger tonite to finish out my meal plan (I know, I know), and found an interesting product, Frank's Kraut Singles. I picked up two figuring on Sausage and Kraut for Saturday dinner. Anybody know of any good single serve packable sausages?

http://fsb.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=9493&cid=1476

babelfish5
02-03-2013, 10:16
It'll be good to meet up with everyone. Not sure what I'm bringing. I think I'ill bring some red beans & rice and maybe a beef stroganoff or two.

rhjanes
02-03-2013, 12:30
I'm sad I will miss this, but I'll be orienteering two days out in the forest in Athens.

CooOkieCOOon
02-03-2013, 12:58
I'm in, fer sure this time. :) I'll be coming out Friday evening till Sunday. Can't wait. :D

sargevining
02-03-2013, 13:47
We're gonna have hammocks strewn along a mile of trail, shouldn't be hard to find us.

babelfish5
02-03-2013, 16:19
Just came off the trail and have my spot picked out. I think I found the "clearing" that had been picked out on that section. There are several of them around that area.

I'm looking forward to it.

babelfish5
02-03-2013, 16:19
Just came off the trail and have my spot picked out. I think I found the "clearing" that had been picked out on that section. There are several of them around that area.

I'm looking forward to it.

gmcpcs
02-03-2013, 16:27
Speaking of food. I went to Kroger tonite to finish out my meal plan (I know, I know), and found an interesting product, Frank's Kraut Singles. I picked up two figuring on Sausage and Kraut for Saturday dinner. Anybody know of any good single serve packable sausages?

http://fsb.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=9493&cid=1476

Lucky you, with a Kroger's :) I am basically living off the land here in Memphis, with the local affiliated foods,Thriftway.

My boys are hot on the menu planning though. Hey, if you're a teenager, life sort of revolves around food. I have to tell a story on my son; we were about to have a bout of bad weather, possible tornadoes and all, he goes to the pantry and makes sure the food is secure by jamming a chair back under the knob.

We're looking forward to this as well, and it is good practice for us beginner backpacking/hanger types.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Caveman
02-03-2013, 19:04
Just be sure you are all ready for the cool weather (just in case it's actually cool) :)

I'm looking forward to this trip as well....It's looking to be a pretty good turnout.

sargevining
02-03-2013, 22:53
Long range forecast showing highs around 69*, Lows around 49*

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/77471

Accuweather is more commital than Weather.com and is forecasting nice temps with chance of rain on Sunday. But we've done rain out there before, haven't we?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/rosenberg-tx/77471/february-weather/340997

Caveman
02-04-2013, 09:27
Ya.....you might want to be sure you set up your tarp a different this time Sarge! :)

It wasn't too bad being soaked when it was 102*, but that might be different at 45* :)

sargevining
02-04-2013, 09:41
Well, I wasn't soaked, just my toes got wet. It did teach me that if you buy a tarp because it has doors on it, you should bring the durn doors.

But I'm bringing the Desert Rat Tarp and putting it down low---unless it really looks like its going to rain, then its the Hex ----and the doors. Might be worth the few extra ounces.

Here's where I am now:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11356

That's skin out. Pack is going to be at about 30 pounds for the first night. Base weight is about 15.

Love that Gear Grams thing. Keeps me honest.

If I have to bring the Hex, that adds a pound, but if its going to be as warm as they say it is, I can get 10.2 oz of that back by leaving the down jacket to sleep in at home.

gmcpcs
02-04-2013, 13:50
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11356

Now that is cool, I can see my afternoon and evening wasting away fiddling with this...Can I borrow your starting point as a list, Sarge?

Somewhere in this pile of junk is a gram scale...not that I am measuring anything. Ground pounding training was something I definitely didn't like about my deployment...:D

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

UncleMJM
02-04-2013, 15:13
Now that is cool, I can see my afternoon and evening wasting away fiddling with this...

Same thoughts here. No scale here though so I'm planning an afterhours trip to the post office.

sargevining
02-04-2013, 15:14
Now that is cool, I can see my afternoon and evening wasting away fiddling with this...Can I borrow your starting point as a list, Sarge?

Somewhere in this pile of junk is a gram scale...not that I am measuring anything. Ground pounding training was something I definitely didn't like about my deployment...:D

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Sure, but I'm not sure if you can edit it. I think you need to go to Geargrams.com and start you own account.

I like it. A couple weeks ago I did an overnight and figgered my pack weight using paper and pen and got a weight of 28 pounds---for an overnight---just the pack.

Using this thing, I'm at 30 pounds "skin out" for three days and three nights.

Notare
02-05-2013, 00:15
This sounds fun. I think will only have time this weekend to sneak off to McKinney Falls state park on Friday. Darn Saturday kid parties :D

Klanecfsb
02-05-2013, 10:53
this sounds like fun. If I'm not on the road for work, then i am really gonna try and make it. I have been DIY'ing some gear lately so i really want to get out there and see exactly how shoddy my craftsman ship is!

Klanecfsb
02-05-2013, 11:35
also it would be awesome to meet people who are more experienced. right now i have no friends that are into hiking/hammocking so all the stuff i have learned has been from websites like this, my own trial and error (emphasis on error), and youtube university. some practical hands on know how from some veteran hangers would really give me some piece of mind.

sargevining
02-05-2013, 13:06
C'mon down Klane! Best way to learn is to hob nob with the goober smoochers. I know that's the way I did. You can only learn so much by reading and watching videos---hands on and up close reinforces that kind of research and makes it more understandable.

Caveman
02-05-2013, 13:17
It's funny...I've started making all new friends since most of the people I already knew aren't quite as crazy as I am......I've found a BUNCH of people here that are just as..(or more) crazy as I am! Good people.

As mentioned, it's a great way to see other set ups and pick people's brains! Hope to see you there.

CooOkieCOOon
02-05-2013, 13:22
The folks on this trip truly are some of the best around. I've seen first hand. You surely wont be disappointed. Let us know if there's something you think you might need or would hold you back from coming out, I'm sure one of us has a spare. :)

CooOkieCOOon
02-05-2013, 13:23
Just don't let Spaceweaseal pick your trees........

UncleMJM
02-05-2013, 13:28
It's funny...I've started making all new friends since most of the people I already knew aren't quite as crazy as I am......I've found a BUNCH of people here that are just as..(or more) crazy as I am! Good people.

As mentioned, it's a great way to see other set ups and pick people's brains! Hope to see you there.

+1

The folks on this trip truly are some of the best around. I've seen first hand. You surely wont be disappointed. Let us know if there's something you think you might need or would hold you back from coming out, I'm sure one of us has a spare. :)

+1 on both the folks and spare gear.

:lol: True, but be sure to ask him about the deadly weekend at Fairfield. (A close call for SW, not as good an outcome for the muffins. :scared: )

sargevining
02-05-2013, 14:03

Or your nose.

Remember:

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.

But you can't wipe your friends on the back of the couch.

sargevining
02-05-2013, 14:08
+1

:lol: True, but be sure to ask him about the deadly weekend at Fairfield. (A close call for SW, not as good an outcome for the muffins. :scared: )

It wasn't Spaceweaseal who murdered the muffins.

Unless you know something I don't------

gmcpcs
02-05-2013, 14:25
also it would be awesome to meet people who are more experienced. right now i have no friends that are into hiking/hammocking so all the stuff i have learned has been from websites like this, my own trial and error (emphasis on error), and youtube university. some practical hands on know how from some veteran hangers would really give me some piece of mind.

Klane, it would be good to meet up. Regardless of all the joking :) You will be surprised that we can talk endlessly about our gear setups. FYI, I have made all my hammocks, and this will be the FIRST time for my boys and I to actually do a "carry in/carry out" campout. So we will see how well our gear holds up :)

Another thing to watch out for at group hangs, don't let people touch your suspension system, as it has been known in some groups to smear bacon grease on your lines, to see how "raccoon proof" your suspension is...:lol:

I can mostly vouch for the names of those coming on this trip as being above reproach though...

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Caveman
02-05-2013, 14:32
Hey gmcpcs, this may go without saying, but please take some time to test your gear with your boys before you get out there on the trail. Nothing will turn someone off from camping quicker than being miserable because your gear doesn't do it's job. (Had this happen last weekend with a couple of guys that thought they would "figure it out" when they got there) They bailed the next day :)

UncleMJM
02-05-2013, 14:33
It wasn't Spaceweaseal who murdered the muffins.

Unless you know something I don't------

Sorry if it looks like I was pointing a finger at what I too know to be an innocent man. I was making reference to the near death experience that occurred in close proximity to the actual crime.

Notare
02-05-2013, 14:40
I saw these comments today and it only rubs in the fact I can not go. Why do other kids at my sons school have to have birthdays. I mean really. None of the parents ever talk gear :D

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 14:45
This is going to be a fun hang.

sargevining
02-05-2013, 14:46
Sorry if it looks like I was pointing a finger at what I too know to be an innocent man. I was making reference to the near death experience that occurred in close proximity to the actual crime.

Ah---"The Incident"

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 14:50
Ah---"The Incident"

We don't speak of, "The Incident":rolleyes:

sargevining
02-05-2013, 15:01
We don't speak of, "The Incident":rolleyes:

Yes. It resides permanently in The Paradox.

Neither shall we speak of ninja skills.

gmcpcs
02-05-2013, 15:28
Hey gmcpcs, this may go without saying, but please take some time to test your gear with your boys before you get out there on the trail. Nothing will turn someone off from camping quicker than being miserable because your gear doesn't do it's job. (Had this happen last weekend with a couple of guys that thought they would "figure it out" when they got there) They bailed the next day :)

Sure Cave,

We did a freeze out camping trip the weekend of Jan 25-26, with one son and myself hanging, and the other bushwacking on the ground. got down to 22 degrees...still kept our toes, but close. You haven't seen my amazon and sportsman's guide order lists...I suppose you are constantly tweaking gear. I hang indoors full time, so I have a set up to mess with constantly.

My biggest issue will be if there is lots of mud and rain, and we are unable to keep our sleeping items dry. (What's rain? here in the panhandle...)

+1 on multiple plannings, conversations, lists, and gear tweaks :) that's what makes the trip more fun, all the planning, and failing to plan, and the pain for not planning, and forgetting the pan to cook the eggs in...etc.:lol: And I am sure this conversation is making Spaceweaseal's head spin.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/3/4/5/image01262013085604.jpg
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/3/4/5/image01262013085616.jpg
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/3/4/5/image01262013085536.jpg
Take it easy,
gmcpcs

sargevining
02-05-2013, 16:28
Wow. They really DO have trees in West Texas.

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 16:34
How many plp are staying until Monday?

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 16:54
It looks like we might get a little rain all weekend but the temps look pretty good.
I will bring a couple of tarps so we can set up a litte area to get together if it's raining...
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/montgomery-tx/77356/february-weather/2223686

Is everyone set on gear?

sargevining
02-05-2013, 16:56
How many plp are staying until Monday?

I think its just you, me, and Mike

sargevining
02-05-2013, 17:03
It looks like we might get a little rain all weekend but the temps look pretty good.
I will bring a couple of tarps so we can set up a litte area to get together if it's raining...
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/montgomery-tx/77356/february-weather/2223686

If everyone set on gear?

That's actually worse than it was yesterday. These long range things kind of lack a good deal of pin point accuracy, but we should keep an eye on it.

The 51* high, 36* low on Saturday should be cause for concern if it holds up. Make sure you've got warm, dry clothes to sleep in, and that you have someplace to hang your day time clothes to dry overnite.

Looks like I'm gonna have to bring the heavy poncho-----

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 17:06
I think its just you, me, and Mike

Cool...
Did you want to ride with me?

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 17:08
Sarge, I think you where looking at the wrong day.
I am seeing highs in the 70's

sargevining
02-05-2013, 17:21
Sarge, I think you where looking at the wrong day.
I am seeing highs in the 70's

Yep, you're right. I was looking at the 16th.

I'm bringing Scout with me, if its OK for him to drive in the Weasealmobile, then yah, we can carpool.

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 17:23
Yep, you're right. I was looking at the 16th.

I'm bringing Scout with me, if its OK for him to drive in the Weasealmobile, then yah, we can carpool.

Scout can drive my truck if he wants to.
Can you two be here by 10am that Friday?

sargevining
02-05-2013, 17:29
Maybe. You're so--------impatient when it comes time to head to the woods.

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 17:30
Maybe. You're so--------impatient when it comes time to head to the woods.

I like to get out early.:D

gmcpcs
02-05-2013, 17:36
We'll stay Sunday night, but leave that Monday morning. Arriving Friday Afternoon.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Klanecfsb
02-05-2013, 18:10
wow, thanks for the friendly replies. as i mentioned earlier, not sure if my work will keep me away. If I am around, i'll be stoked. i don't even have to get on the free way to get there. and also, thanks for the mention of loaner gear, I am pretty confident in what i have being enough. the only thing i dont have and want is material to diy some whoopies and a SRL. if some one could point me in the right direction to purchase some of that stuff locally, i would be very grateful.

spaceweaseal
02-05-2013, 18:15
wow, thanks for the friendly replies. as i mentioned earlier, not sure if my work will keep me away. If I am around, i'll be stoked. i don't even have to get on the free way to get there. and also, thanks for the mention of loaner gear, I am pretty confident in what i have being enough. the only thing i dont have and want is material to diy some whoopies and a SRL. if some one could point me in the right direction to purchase some of that stuff locally, i would be very grateful.

The last time I bought some amsteel it was from Dutch.
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/dutchware/dutchware-view-all-products/

sargevining
02-05-2013, 22:45
Hopefully someone will bring a fid or two. I've got an idea for a ridgeline that should make the tarp pop right out of the pack---at least it works with the mocked up clothesline I'm using.

Gmcps---do you need that underquilt and pack?

gmcpcs
02-06-2013, 10:36
Hopefully someone will bring a fid or two. I've got an idea for a ridgeline that should make the tarp pop right out of the pack---at least it works with the mocked up clothesline I'm using.

Gmcps---do you need that underquilt and pack?

If you want to toss it in; I have a new pack on order, and will be making UQ's out of two poncho liners coming on order. (But you never know...) Right now they are on schedule to be delivered today or tomorrow. Looks like rain is likely in the forecast; so we will be sorting out rain gear and pack liners to keep things dry, as well as tightening up our walmart tarp deployments. I thought I ordered some line from Redden Marine with the hammockforums discount, but I forgot to calculate shipping, so I think the order didn't go through... I will bring some wire along, to make a fid or whoopie sling puller.

The wife has given me permission to bring the Buick Enclave, so I will have some extra room if we want to post a vehicle at Parking lot #2 with gear water, food, etc. I expect our arrival will be around 4 or 5 PM on Friday...hopefully sooner, depending on how early we start that morning to get to college station...4:00AM? sheesh.

Last night we sorted out cooking kits; we will be bringing all three methods, gas canister stove, ( I got one of those Chinese outfits) alcohol stove, and bush buddy wood-burning stove. Planning meals now...and a trial run overnighter in the valley near the house, per Caveman's very practical suggestion...

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

gmcpcs
02-06-2013, 11:06
What are the insect prospects for this area? Bringing bugnets, just in case.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

sargevining
02-06-2013, 13:07
I doubt skeeters will be a problem this time of year---but I've been wrong before and lived through the experience.

But if the forecast of rain holds through the next 10 days, I'm going to have to ditch the cheapo Sears Poncho and go with a real poncho (apologies to Frank Zappa) which is tripple the weight and I might chance leaving the Buginator home.

CooOkieCOOon
02-06-2013, 13:12
I'll be trying out my new Northwoods Hammock with integrated bug net. :D It's my first hammock with integrated net so I'm pretty dang excited. :)

Caveman
02-06-2013, 13:17
I'm interested in seeing this thing. They are very reasonably priced.

I'll be trying out my new Northwoods Hammock with integrated bug net. :D It's my first hammock with integrated net so I'm pretty dang excited. :)

Caveman
02-06-2013, 13:19
But if the forecast of rain holds through the next 10 days, I'm going to have to ditch the cheapo Sears Poncho and go with a real poncho (apologies to Frank Zappa) which is tripple the weight and I might chance leaving the Buginator home.

I knew you'd find some excuse to throw a couple of extra pounds in there.....It was killing you wasn't it? :lol:

CooOkieCOOon
02-06-2013, 13:20
I'm interested in seeing this thing. They are very reasonably priced.

No doubt. I caught the opening sale so it was sweet. :)

Caveman
02-06-2013, 13:25
I'll see if I can fit one of my cheap guitars on the pack somehow. That could be fun.

sargevining
02-06-2013, 13:27
I knew you'd find some excuse to throw a couple of extra pounds in there.....It was killing you wasn't it? :lol:

No muffins for you!

Wait--

No muffins for anybody.

Dang.

CooOkieCOOon
02-06-2013, 13:35
No muffins for you!

Wait--

No muffins for anybody.

Dang.

I tried baking once.. Caveman was there. Things got real hot...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/07/7esu2u4a.jpg

sargevining
02-06-2013, 13:57
I tried baking once.. Caveman was there. Things got real hot...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/07/7esu2u4a.jpg

Alky stove?

This is why I use a canister with simmer function. Jetboils won't work b/c they are practically full on/full off. Cheapo Pocket Rockets simmer gooooood.

BTW--

Just got a couple in for making some cooksets. Will have enough material to make 5 coffee can cooksets by the time the hang starts.

Anybody want one?

gmcpcs
02-06-2013, 14:17
Alky stove?

This is why I use a canister with simmer function. Jetboils won't work b/c they are practically full on/full off. Cheapo Pocket Rockets simmer gooooood.

BTW--

Just got a couple in for making some cooksets. Will have enough material to make 5 coffee can cooksets by the time the hang starts.

Anybody want one?

I am trying to replicate one of those cooksets; I have some extra Imusa cups in both 12 and 10 CM sizes, and got lids through the PIF. I will bring along my box of junk.:D We can share ideas and maybe do some swapping?

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

CooOkieCOOon
02-06-2013, 14:25
No. I was using the Cheapo Chinese stove. It'll do the simmer but this was my first try and I didn't pay attention to how hot it was getting. I wanted a biscuit!! lol

CooOkieCOOon
02-06-2013, 14:26
I might add, the biscuit was delicious. :D

sargevining
02-06-2013, 14:31
I am trying to replicate one of those cooksets; I have some extra Imusa cups in both 12 and 10 CM sizes, and got lids through the PIF. I will bring along my box of junk.:D We can share ideas and maybe do some swapping?

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Dang;

The trail is going to be littered with hammocks, and the parking lot is gonna look like a flea market.

Caveman
02-06-2013, 14:33
I got a "maybe" from Gimpy. He said he'll know something for sure in a few days.

Klanecfsb
02-06-2013, 20:55
Talked to my boss today. Looks like I will be working on the road. I won't be in Florida like I thought, I'll be in south Texas. So there is a chance I could pull it off, if this project doesn't require week end work. Fingers crossed.

Also, this will be my first hike in camping experience. I have camped in many adverse conditions with my set up and have also done some pretty extensive hiking (climbed a few mountains in Colorado in may including a 14k foot peak). I just gotta put two and two together.

If I do end up making it, it's looking more like Saturday morning for me. The questions I have are, what time are you guys planning on rolling out of camp Saturday morning and how well marked are the trails if I have to navigate all by my lonesome?

sargevining
02-06-2013, 21:41
Talked to my boss today. Looks like I will be working on the road. I won't be in Florida like I thought, I'll be in south Texas. So there is a chance I could pull it off, if this project doesn't require week end work. Fingers crossed.

Also, this will be my first hike in camping experience. I have camped in many adverse conditions with my set up and have also done some pretty extensive hiking (climbed a few mountains in Colorado in may including a 14k foot peak). I just gotta put two and two together.

If I do end up making it, it's looking more like Saturday morning for me. The questions I have are, what time are you guys planning on rolling out of camp Saturday morning and how well marked are the trails if I have to navigate all by my lonesome?

The trails are very well marked, especially during daylight hours.

Trail map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium/01wilderness_sc.pdf

As far as rolling out of camp, it kinda goes like this:

Caveman won't wait much, and the rooster will be rubbing the sand from his eyes as Caveman passes him by.

If its me, I'll wait until the tea and crumpets are finished, the table cleared and the dishes washed, and the kitchen staff dismissed for the day.

Everybody else will fall somewhere in between.

I doubt there will be anything that looks like an organized hike (or an organized campsite for that matter). Folks will mainly follow thier own schedules. Some will want to hit the trail ASAP in order to do the long loop, others may tarry a bit b/c they plan on doing a shorter hike (like me).

One alterative would be to park at Parking Lot #2 and hang out near the trail head waiting for the parade to pass by.

Another alternative is to park at Parking Lot #1 and hike down the trail towards where we're camped (turn right--south--at the fork in the trail down the Little Lake Loop Trail). There should be signs giving the names of the trails, etc. Caveman has been down that route and might be able to give you a better description of what that fork looks like.

If you get there early, early in the morning---like before 8:00 AM, you could probably go the Parking Lot #1 alternative and be reasonably sure you'll meet somebody on the trail coming towards you, or the kitchen staff heading home.

But the safest bet would be to go to Parking Lot #2 and hang out. The only drawback is that it might be an hour or so---but that beats walking around the woods for a day without meeting anybody. The trailhead is not actually in Parking Lot #2, although it looks like there's one there---but its a pipeline right of way. The trail head comes out on Bethel Road (FS211) a few yards south of the Parking lot. It shows up well on Google Maps and Street View. If you sit on the hood of your car and look south into the woods, you should be able to see people coming down the trail in your direction, especially at this time of year.

One other alternative, especially if you show up close to or after lunch, would be to go to the Saturday night campsite. If you look at the map, you can see where the West Fork Trail (blue dashed lined) intersects the Little Lake Creek Loop (the yellow and blue dashed line). Just south of that point, the Little Lake Creek Loop crosses FS 211A and the campsite is just south of that road. Its on the right hand side of the trail, a group of pines spaced about 12- 15 feet apart with the area under them virtually free of undergrowth.

This might also be the way to go if you hang at Parking Lot #2 for a couple of hours and nobody walks by.

You could also hike south on the Little Lake Creek Loop until you meet some of us coming north on it, then turn around and hike back to the campsite.

If you can give us a better idea of what time you might get there, we can plan a bit better. My cheap old man butt has a cell phone service that is kinda chancy out there, but somebody here probably has better service and you could exchange numbers with them.

sargevining
02-06-2013, 21:47
Originally Posted by Caveman
I knew you'd find some excuse to throw a couple of extra pounds in there.....It was killing you wasn't it?

Dang you.

This evening I'm all excited that I cut an ounce and a half off my cookset, and bought a long sleeve sleep shirt on the way home b/c it looked like it was going to be lighter than the one I'm bringing.

sargevining
02-06-2013, 22:44
Hung my Weenie in the house tonite for a practice run. I'm suprised something that small is that comfortable and has that much room to lay in. No leg pinch like in the Expedition, and I don 't think I'll need a pillow. Not so sure about that DIY UQ I bought last year, but we'll see in the morning. It worked OK with the Expedition and the Deep Jungle, but the Potomac always worked better with those so I never used it much with them.

spaceweaseal
02-06-2013, 23:15
Hung my Weenie in the house tonite for a practice run. I'm suprised something that small is that comfortable and has that much room to lay in. No leg pinch like in the Expedition, and I don 't think I'll need a pillow. Not so sure about that DIY UQ I bought last year, but we'll see in the morning. It worked OK with the Expedition and the Deep Jungle, but the Potomac always worked better with those so I never used it much with them.

It's gonna be a Weenie hang...:D

gmcpcs
02-06-2013, 23:36
Hey Sarge,

We are good on this, right?

To:
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:05 AM
Subject: U.S. Forest Service News Release; U.S. Forest Service to conduct controlled burns for forest health
News
Release
U.S. Forest Service
2221 North Raguet St.
Lufkin, Texas 75904
www.fs.usda.gov/texas
Jan. 22, 2013
******************************* *************** ***********************************************
For Immediate Release
U.S. Forest Service to conduct
controlled burns for forest health
U.S. Forest Service fire personnel have begun controlled burns in the national forests and will continue the burns during the next few months.
Despite recent rainfall, Texas is still recovering from its worst drought in more than 100 years and controlled burning dramatically reduces the chances of a wildfire spreading out of control.
“We saw firsthand during the 2011 fire season the results of controlled burns. The devastating wildfires across Texas were less intense, quickly controlled, and resulted in less damage to timber and other natural resources on areas that were previously treated with a controlled burn,” said Fire Management Officer Chris Schenck.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of the public,” Schenck said. “We want the public to know what we’re doing when we conduct burns on the national forests. These are controlled fires conducted by experienced, qualified firefighters who work as a team to ignite, monitor and ensure that the fire stays within the control lines.”
The Forest Service conducts burning only when weather conditions are most favorable and are based on daily fire weather forecasts from the National Weather Service. Forest Service fire personnel take into account weather conditions and fire behavior before conducting a burn.
“Folks may see a helicopter overhead, smoke columns rising and smoke settling in low-lying areas. Anytime there is a fire, there is going to be smoke,” he said. “There will be times when smoke will settle in low-lying areas especially during the late evenings and overnight hours.”
Schenck recommends that those with respiratory problems close windows and ventilate their homes by using the air conditioning or heating system. Some may want to leave the area until the smoke clears. Anyone sensitive to smoke should contact their local National Forest District Office to provide information so they can be notified in advance of planned burns. If drivers encounter smoke on the road, they should reduce their speed and use low beam lights to become more visible to other traffic.
Controlled burns benefit wildlife habitat by removing dead/dying material from the understory which improves the availability of forage and the quality of browse for wildlife. Reducing the underbrush improves foraging, brood, and nesting habitat for turkey, quail, deer and other wildlife species.
“The bottom line is that controlled burns and resulting smoke is a short term inconvenience that results in a long term gain by benefitting wildlife, improving forest health, and protecting homes and property from destructive wildfires,” Schenck said.
For questions about the controlled fire program or concerns please feel free to contact:
Chris Schenck, Fire Management Officer at 936-639-8543 or
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, 936-897-1068
Sabine National Forest, Milam, 409-625-1940
Davy Crocket National Forest, Ratcliff, 936-655-2299
Sam Houston National Forest, New Waverly, 936-344-6205
Caddo/Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands, Decatur, 940-627-5475
On the web: ** www.fs.usda.gov/texas
*********************** http://www.firewise.org/
http://www.goodfires.org/
###
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

sargevining
02-06-2013, 23:43
Hey Sarge,

We are good on this, right?

To:
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:05 AM
Subject: U.S. Forest Service News Release; U.S. Forest Service to conduct controlled burns for forest health
News
Release
U.S. Forest Service
2221 North Raguet St.
Lufkin, Texas 75904
www.fs.usda.gov/texas
Jan. 22, 2013
******************************* *************** ***********************************************
For Immediate Release
U.S. Forest Service to conduct
controlled burns for forest health
U.S. Forest Service fire personnel have begun controlled burns in the national forests and will continue the burns during the next few months.
Despite recent rainfall, Texas is still recovering from its worst drought in more than 100 years and controlled burning dramatically reduces the chances of a wildfire spreading out of control.
“We saw firsthand during the 2011 fire season the results of controlled burns. The devastating wildfires across Texas were less intense, quickly controlled, and resulted in less damage to timber and other natural resources on areas that were previously treated with a controlled burn,” said Fire Management Officer Chris Schenck.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of the public,” Schenck said. “We want the public to know what we’re doing when we conduct burns on the national forests. These are controlled fires conducted by experienced, qualified firefighters who work as a team to ignite, monitor and ensure that the fire stays within the control lines.”
The Forest Service conducts burning only when weather conditions are most favorable and are based on daily fire weather forecasts from the National Weather Service. Forest Service fire personnel take into account weather conditions and fire behavior before conducting a burn.
“Folks may see a helicopter overhead, smoke columns rising and smoke settling in low-lying areas. Anytime there is a fire, there is going to be smoke,” he said. “There will be times when smoke will settle in low-lying areas especially during the late evenings and overnight hours.”
Schenck recommends that those with respiratory problems close windows and ventilate their homes by using the air conditioning or heating system. Some may want to leave the area until the smoke clears. Anyone sensitive to smoke should contact their local National Forest District Office to provide information so they can be notified in advance of planned burns. If drivers encounter smoke on the road, they should reduce their speed and use low beam lights to become more visible to other traffic.
Controlled burns benefit wildlife habitat by removing dead/dying material from the understory which improves the availability of forage and the quality of browse for wildlife. Reducing the underbrush improves foraging, brood, and nesting habitat for turkey, quail, deer and other wildlife species.
“The bottom line is that controlled burns and resulting smoke is a short term inconvenience that results in a long term gain by benefitting wildlife, improving forest health, and protecting homes and property from destructive wildfires,” Schenck said.
For questions about the controlled fire program or concerns please feel free to contact:
Chris Schenck, Fire Management Officer at 936-639-8543 or
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, 936-897-1068
Sabine National Forest, Milam, 409-625-1940
Davy Crocket National Forest, Ratcliff, 936-655-2299
Sam Houston National Forest, New Waverly, 936-344-6205
Caddo/Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands, Decatur, 940-627-5475
On the web: ** www.fs.usda.gov/texas
*********************** http://www.firewise.org/
http://www.goodfires.org/
###
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

I beleive so. The last controlled burn mentioned on the Yahoo Group was on the Eastern end of the trail. The folks there know the date of our hang, and one of the members there is a Ranger, and he didn't mention anything. But just to make sure we're using belts and suspenders, I'll ask the question.

sargevining
02-07-2013, 07:38
Here's the reply I got on the Yahoo Group:

The Forest Service has plans to burn some or all of section 1 outside of the
defined Little Lake Creek Wilderness Area. We have seen the prep work around
Trailheads 1,2, and 3.

If you look at this map:
http://lonestartrail.org/maps/simple/01wilderness.pdf

All of the dark green is Wilderness, and will not be burned. Some or all of the
light green south and west of FM 149 will be burned. We just don't know when.

I'll call the number for the Forest Service given in the mail today and see if I can get better info.

Caveman
02-07-2013, 09:10
I'm going to laugh if this thing gets shut down again. (not haha funny, but haha can you believe this) :)

If it falls through, I'm still going out and I have a good place lined up.

sargevining
02-07-2013, 09:17
One has to wonder if they would go ahead and start burning a forest with a dozen or more campers wandering around in it.

CooOkieCOOon
02-07-2013, 09:28
One has to wonder if they would go ahead and start burning a forest with a dozen or more campers wandering around in it.

Especially RIGHT AFTER they open it back up to hiker/ campers from hunting season....
"Oh Lord Jesus it's a fire! Ain't nobody got time fo that!!"

sargevining
02-07-2013, 15:49
I have a call in to the HBIC (Head Bureuacrat In Charge) of burns, but he won't be in today.

All we know now is that Section 1 is scheduled for a burn. We just don't know when.

Caveman
02-08-2013, 17:45
Here's a little preview for u guys.... It's going to be an interesting weekend :)

spaceweaseal
02-08-2013, 18:56
Here's a little preview for u guys.... It's going to be an interesting weekend :)

I will bring my camera for this hang...

CampWalker
02-08-2013, 21:09

Man I can't miss this....the GoPro will be charged.....

gmcpcs
02-08-2013, 22:02

Somehow the orange "took" hat reminds me of the red cockaded woodpecker...

UncleMJM
02-09-2013, 00:55
Caveman, you lose a bet?

sargevining
02-09-2013, 12:39
Folks;

Sometime Saturday evening, Scout the Wonder Dog will unleash his Mighty Bark to warn of the approach of a dangerous and weird looking woodland creature.

That will be Caveman coming down the trail.

Eyewash and brain bleach may be in order, pack accordingly.

Update on my interaction with uniformed representatives of the Yankee Gummint:

The HBIC called me back yesterday---while I was in the can, and left a message to call him back, even though the message I left with him fully explained that all I needed to know was whether or not we'd be engulfed in flame and smoke during our camping trip. I called him back almost immediately but got his machine (or whatever passes for a machine in this electronic age). I left another message and made several more calls with only the machine answering. This was on a Friday afternoon. We'll see how it works on a Monday morning.

Klanecfsb
02-09-2013, 12:49
Friday afternoons, government employees, timely response? Ha!

Caveman
02-09-2013, 14:13
Caveman, you lose a bet?

No Mike, that was a special little treat for Sarge....sorry the rest of you all had to see that :)

sargevining
02-09-2013, 15:01
I do think the ensemble is incomplete without a pair of mucklucks.

rhjanes
02-09-2013, 15:18
I need to hear how the kilt works out.....for real.....

rhjanes
02-09-2013, 15:21
On the forest burns. We are working with Coopers Lake SP for setting Orienteering courses and I was most surprised by a response from the rangers about burns. We orienteers were at Tyler SP once, and they had burned THAT WEEK. What our advanced map showed as "dark green" (tough going, overgrown, slow/fight to get into) was BURNED and wide open!
So the ranger at Coopers lake, we are working up about perminant markers and when asked about notification of a burn, the ranger said "we are lucky if we hear of it the WEEK they are going to do it". That was surprising. Anyway, the ranger might.....or might NOT know they are burning on Tuesday.....right before the hang.

Caveman
02-09-2013, 15:22
I need to hear how the kilt works out.....for real.....

I'll let you know as soon as I get to give a real test. My wife has made it very clear that I'm not to be seen in it anywhere near her....or anywhere she might be :)

It's been a bit cool to go with the kilt, but as soon as it warms up I plan on giving it a go. I'll let you know how it works out.

sargevining
02-09-2013, 15:43
Well,

While its still two weeks out and anything could happen, but this is Springtime in Southeast Texas so I'm resigned to this forecast:

being at least partially true. We've also had pretty persistent fog in the AM lately.

I'm ditching the Desert Rat tarp and the cheapo WalMart poncho and going with the HH with doors and the Exped Bivy Poncho (no, its not to add weight).

Last time I used that tarp in the fog was at Brazos Bend a couple weeks ago.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/Hammok%20camping/STWD--Brazos%20Bend/028.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/sargevining/Hammok%20camping/STWD--Brazos%20Bend/026.jpg

I had the tarp down and the doors closed and the UQ did not appear to get wet, but there was a lot of moisture on the TQ where I'd been breathing on it. Something to think about.

rhjanes
02-09-2013, 19:40
My wife has made it very clear that I'm not to be seen in it anywhere near her....or anywhere she might be :)Interesting.....mostly I hear wives and girlfriends think their man in a kilt is HOT

sargevining
02-11-2013, 09:14
Interesting.....mostly I hear wives and girlfriends think their man in a kilt is HOT

Go back and look at that picture again----------

rhjanes
02-11-2013, 09:27
Go back and look at that picture again----------MY EYES MY EYES!!! :eek:

sargevining
02-11-2013, 13:15
OK;

After my flirtation with advocacy of Civil Disobedience in the Wilderness, I had a talk with Jason Klawinsky, HBIC of Burns in the SHNF.

Basically, they decide when and where to burn the day before the burn. The decision is entirely based on weather. He could tell us that they will not be burning today, tomorrow, and the next day, but could not commit any further in advance than that.

I asked him if he were informed him that there would be a dozen or so campers in that area would that cause him to decide to burn somewhere else, and he said no. Please remember, however, that Section 1 is not the only area where burns are scheduled.

SOP calls for them to go out to the burn area once the decison has been made, close the parking lots, and then walk the trails to inform anyone camping on them that they need to leave, and then once again the next day to insure there's nobody out there.

So, what we're going to be doing is playing our cards and taking our chances.

He did give me his cell phone number and I will call him on Thursday to check the status. It was the best he could do and it was a very gracious gesture.

I asked him what weather I should be praying for---what kind of weather would keep them from burning. He said "rain". (http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/montgomery-tx/77356/february-weather/2223686)

So maybe we need a Plan B, just in case. All of the Eastern end of the trail is open and no prescribed burns are scheduled.

What say you?

Caveman
02-11-2013, 13:30
Well...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not driving 5 hours for a maybe! :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you hear anything thursday.

Man! I've been looking forward to this trip for a couple of months now....You better not try and weinie out now!

sargevining
02-11-2013, 14:02
Well...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not driving 5 hours for a maybe! :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you hear anything thursday.

Man! I've been looking forward to this trip for a couple of months now....You better not try and weinie out now!

Understand, that's why we set up things for a Thursday call.

Putting out a bleg for you guys to give me a gentle reminder on Wed PM and/or Thurs AM to make sure I remember to make that call.

Here's an overview map of the entire trail:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/LSHTparking.pdf

Here's the prescribed burn map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/misc/LSHTburn2013.pdf

Here's the map of current trail closures:

If you put all that info together in order to get a Plam B, it looks like the sections at Parking Lot #8 and #9 thru 13 are those that are both open and not scheduled to be burned at any time this year.

The big advantage of Section 1 is the extensive loop system that gives all sorts of trail options and distance opportunities. Its possible to do a 25 mile hike out there and never be more than 6 miles from where you parked.

The only section that has a loop is the Four Notch Section:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/LSHT_06_fournotch_shaded.pdf

Thre's only one parking lot, but some nice water features, including one called "Hidden Lake" that is on an old jeep track in the center of the loop.

I'd recommend against the far eastern end of the trail as there have been reports of vandalism (tire slashing) at the parking lot there.

spaceweaseal
02-11-2013, 16:55
just a few more days until we get to , "Fire walk"

I will be there no matter what!
"I am a full grown man and I aint afraid of no fire so I will do what I want" :)

spaceweaseal
02-11-2013, 17:00
We could call this: The LSHT Butt Bake 2

sargevining
02-11-2013, 17:13
We could call this: The LSHT Butt Bake 2

Tuhkus Toaster

Charbroiled Cheeks

Singed Sit-Down

Bun Burner

CooOkieCOOon
02-11-2013, 17:19
just a few more days until we get to , "Fire walk"

This gets better every time I log on!!
Haha. Lets do this.

spaceweaseal
02-11-2013, 22:58
This gets better every time I log on!!
Haha. Lets do this.

Man it's done...
I am just waiting to complete this thing..:D

spaceweaseal
02-11-2013, 22:59
Tuhkus Toaster

Charbroiled Cheeks

Singed Sit-Down

Bun Burner

Smoked burritos.

sargevining
02-12-2013, 08:21
Grilled Gluteous

gmcpcs
02-12-2013, 11:28
Still count us in. A little smoke never hurt anyone...but we would be up for a plan B also. Sarge, were you taking PMs of contact info? We will be leaving early Friday, and doing the college visits regardless, but I ain't stayin' in no motel if we bring all our camping gear with us...Thanks for checking, and maybe we will have rain.

We have some good snow here today. Still we are planning to do an overnight run with tarp deployment to see how we do getting ready for the LSHT weekend.

"Smoked Slingers"

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

sparkyjim
02-12-2013, 11:29
I may try to tag-a-long; been trying to find some places out in my area...not much luck. Would love to hear about the place in Athens Rj mentioned. Will keep watching this thread..

sargevining
02-12-2013, 13:16
Still count us in. A little smoke never hurt anyone...but we would be up for a plan B also. Sarge, were you taking PMs of contact info? We will be leaving early Friday, and doing the college visits regardless, but I ain't stayin' in no motel if we bring all our camping gear with us...Thanks for checking, and maybe we will have rain.

We have some good snow here today. Still we are planning to do an overnight run with tarp deployment to see how we do getting ready for the LSHT weekend.

"Smoked Slingers"

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Heated Hangers

If we do Plan B, there should be no smoke, but the wet weather IS holding. Never thought I be hoping for rain-----

The only problem with Plan B is making sure we make hook ups on Saturday for those coming in then.

If you plug "Four Notch Hunter Camp" into Google Earth, you will come to the area shown on this map:

The little red boxes with the numbers in them on that map are the FS Road numbers.

Google Earth does show both the Four Notch Loop and the LSHT.

We could do a fairly nice 5-6 mile hike out there on the Four Notch trail and camp where it meets the LSHT on its eastern end, that way anyone coming in Saturday will have a 4 mile hike in on marked trail, and Sunday departures would only be about two hours from the Parking lot at the Hunter Camp. The trail intersection should be well marked and thus easily found, and it is close to water.

Those staying Sunday can plan a route and campsite that ends up a similar distance from the parking lot, possibly using FS roads rather than trails, or a combination of the two.

While theres not a much marked trail out tin this section, there's a bunch of Forest Roads that go to a couple of interesting places. I wouldn't recommend using them for Saturday arrivals as they do criss-cross
If it comes to Plan B, I'd suggest making that the meet up point for Friday, we should have the whole place to ourselves.

I may try to tag-a-long; been trying to find some places out in my area...not much luck. Would love to hear about the place in Athens Rj mentioned. Will keep watching this thread..

Come on down. We'll know perzackly where we're going sometime on Thursday, the 20th.

sargevining
02-12-2013, 15:32
Sarge, were you taking PMs of contact info?

Missed this.

My cell phone coverage is sub-optimal for the task. Maybe Spaceweaseal has better sense than I where it comes to cell phones.

Caveman
02-13-2013, 10:19
Ok. I'm getting geared up for this now. We are down to the week and a half mark. I've got my gear laid out and pretty much ready to cram in my pack. I've got my snacks together and have a plan for meals. C'mon now. I'm ready to go.

UncleMJM
02-13-2013, 10:39
Ok. I'm getting geared up for this now. We are down to the week and a half mark. I've got my gear laid out and pretty much ready to cram in my pack. I've got my snacks together and have a plan for meals. C'mon now. I'm ready to go.

Similar story here. Laying out gear tonight that I'll take to the LSHT and using it on a short hike S24O this weekend.

sargevining
02-13-2013, 12:52
Got the meal plan figured out, all food in stock, and separated into separate bags. Got the gear list mostly figured and much of it in plastic tubs waiting to get packed and checked off the list.

Still haven't figured out the UQ set up with the Weenie. With the HHDJ or the Expedition, it was always easy b/c the Potomac is designed to fit. Tried it on the Weenie and it was just too droopy, resulting in CBS. This while hanging inside the house with the windows closed but no heat on and lows in the 50's.

Solution was supposed to be a DIY UQ that I got last year. Its OK in the 50-60* range but its made from a sewn through Eddie Bauer down bag tried it night before last with same results. Baffles go perpendicular to the hammock, so down settles at the bottom and I lose insulation at the sides.

Last night I used it with a DIY IX torso length with temps in middle 50's and was OK, but as the forecast for Friday nite shows sub-40* I'm not sure if this is the solution. The IX has no suspension so I'd jury rigged it to attach to the Eddie Bauer bag. I need to test and see if I was warmed by the IX Quilt alone or if they both need to be used in conjunction with the other.

Last ditch for the Weenie would be to use the Prodigy as a UQ. If I can't get that to work, I'll bring the HH and the Potomac b/c I know those work and I don't have any more time for experimentation.

QUESTION:

Is everybody OK with the proposed "Plan B" and knows how to get there?

Caveman
02-13-2013, 12:54
As long as I get in the woods....I'm cool with whatever.

spaceweaseal
02-13-2013, 13:13
I acutuly have my gear packed but I still need to make a batch of spaghetti for the trip.
I will be sleeping in my WW unless I get too cold and then I will switch over to the RR and use a pad with my UQ.
I have my TQ and UQ hanging in my living room so I won't forget them this time. :)

Notare
02-13-2013, 13:16
I haven't followed this closely. One did last trip work out for you guys? Two if you guys are headed out again which weekend? Would enjoy getting out if I can escape the weekend of the outing. I am editing because my brain just showed up. I thought you guys already went and I just looked at title and realized oh yeah never mind. Will try to be here if I do will have son though. So will see how it goes.

sargevining
02-13-2013, 14:11
I haven't followed this closely. One did last trip work out for you guys? Two if you guys are headed out again which weekend? Would enjoy getting out if I can escape the weekend of the outing. I am editing because my brain just showed up. I thought you guys already went and I just looked at title and realized oh yeah never mind. Will try to be here if I do will have son though. So will see how it goes.

The first outing to the area was the infamous Texas Butt Bake of 2012, chronicled here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58011).

Its a great trail in a great area that is great for hanging.

A second trip for a longer hike was discussed at the end of that trip, and was planned for October 20-22. You can follow the sad tale of that outing here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58722), but in short, we were shot down due to changing rules regarding on trail camping during Hunting Season.

This outing is intended to right that wrong, but may be altered somewhat by the same Yankee Gummint intervention that affected the last one. This time we have the option of relocating the hike because of possible prescribed burns in the area, where last time we were prohibited from camping anywhere on the Lone Star Trail.

This thing is going to happen on the weekend of 2/22 thru 2/24 no matter what. Best info on Plan A is here. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66105)

We will know on Thursday, 21 February if we are going to execute Plan A.

If not, we will execute Plan B and move the location to the Four Notch Section of the Lone Star Hiking Trail starting at Parking Lot #8 as shown on this map:

with more info here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=938593&postcount=169)

Shawn;

If we do Plan A, I'll likely head up myself and meet you there. If its Plan B, I'll meet you at your house and we can car pool. That way if we get lost I can blame you and you can blame me like we always do. I mean, its likely both of us will get lost finding the place, it's just more efficient if we both do it at the same time in the same place.

The Paradox 'twas ever thus.

sargevining
02-15-2013, 08:25
One week.

Forecast is holding favorable for us:

Got the UQ dialed in. Will pack everything but the food and hammock stuff this weekend.

spaceweaseal
02-15-2013, 11:12
One week.

Forecast is holding favorable for us:

Got the UQ dialed in. Will pack everything but the food and hammock stuff this weekend.

It does look like it's going to be very nice weather for this hang...

sargevining
02-15-2013, 13:18
I'm hoping the forecast of rain is just right enough to make them not want to burn (but they could burn anwywhere), but just wrong enough that we don't get much.

sargevining
02-16-2013, 12:26
File under FWIW, a couple of interesting posts on the LSHT Yahoo Group:

First one might be useful to tech savvy folks coming on tis trip (Plan A or Plan B)

Short - Live GPS enabled LSHT maps now on Maprika phone app. Download to your phone and try it out. You can use the map function to find LSHT maps on the app or search for LSHT. Please give feedback.

Thank you to Dave for providing higher resolution map images.

Verbose:
Last weekend I tried out out topo maps on Maprika and they worked very well while hiking the Eastside. Maprika is a app for Android and IOS that has geosynched maps and current location via GPS.

I loaded up the lower Eastern side up to Trailhead #10. They worked well but I could not see most of the elevation numbers and the FS roads labels were difficult to make out. I got a higher resolution map of Section 8 from Dave today, geosynched it, and uploaded it. This solved all the visibility issues. I will update the maps that I uploaded and add more as I get the higher resolution maps. Depending on time and availability I hoping to get this done by 2/24/13.

Battery life was easily maintained on the phone by shutting down some functions leading to 1/100 units per hour burn rate.

The next looks like two of the problems we've been having with planning on the trail are being removed:

Talked to FS today and heard some interesting updates about the trail closure and primitive camping during hunting season.
It seems the new Forest Supervisor in Lufkin doesn't agree with closing of trails because of the dead trees. However, because a Forest Order was issued, even though it was before he arrived, they have to find a way to walk it back. It's getting kicked up the the Southern Region Office in Atlanta, GA. to find a way to rescind the Forest Order. I bet it has to do with legal liability.
Dano, the Recreation & Wildlife Director over the Sam Houston & Davy Crockett N.F., will be meeting with Texas Parks & Wildlife. He will bring up the topic of Primitive Camping along the LSHT during hunting season. Since TX P&W manages the Type II hunting in the NF they have some say in the process. I hoping they would allow, at a minimum, camping at the LSHT Primitive Campsites during hunting season.
Time will tell.

Maybe snarky posts on that forum do have an effect.

As to this trip, (and I never thought I'd say this) unfortunately, the weather looks like its going to be great, so we might want to prepare to execute Plan B.

spaceweaseal
02-16-2013, 13:23
I really don't care which plan we go with but plan b does look like a nicer area.
The only problem with plan b is in the guide book it does say it's the most popular area but it still shouldn't be a issue..

Let's do this!

sargevining
02-16-2013, 13:50
I still like the known quantity aspect of Plan A, and those campsites were sweet, but we'll go where God and the Forest Service wills us.

JollyGreen
02-18-2013, 00:02
Man I'd like to go to this.....to make some muffins for Sarge....

Caveman
02-18-2013, 00:05
C'mon down....it's only about a 24 hour drive for you. :) Something like that.

spaceweaseal
02-18-2013, 00:06
Man I'd like to go to this.....to make some muffins for Sarge....

We miss you Muffin Killer:laugh:

sargevining
02-18-2013, 00:56
I see he changed his name. Probably hiding from the Muffin Mafia. I understand they've got a bisk-hit out on him.

But, yah, come on down, we miss ya.

And we're not cooking muffins this trip, so its safe.

Seriously, dude, when we gonna see you again?

spaceweaseal
02-18-2013, 01:02
I think I heard a rumor that there might be bacon wraped goodies at this hang...

gmcpcs
02-18-2013, 12:42
We are so looking forward to this trip!

We went to the valley nearby and set up our gear to give it a try; one thing we see as an issue for us "newbie" backpackers is getting all your stuff to fit. (Weight is a secondary issue to what you need to bring) We look like the Clampetts heading into the wild.
(Pictures to follow; daughter has the photo elements)

Another thing; I tried my Sawyer Squeeze on the local creek water; not a good result. The water filtered out fine, but still had a rank odor, and taste. I took a swallow, but spit it out and didn't use that water. Any of you others have experience with using the Sawyer Squeeze? Maybe we need some activated carbon.

And, still waiting on that new backpack being ordered for the oldest son; we have an alternate plan, but if Mr. Vining can find room for his spare, we would appreciate having a plan B.1.

Taking it easy,
gmcpcs

sargevining
02-18-2013, 13:47
Not a problem. The biggest spare I have is the Fox Mountain pack. Kinda heavy, but plenty of room.

spaceweaseal
02-18-2013, 14:08
I have a golite breeze that's light and has tons of room. If you need another pack to use just let me know and I will pack it..

spaceweaseal
02-18-2013, 14:14
With the filter it will help if you use activated charcoal. The filters will not take the orders and tastes away...You can always stash some clean water on the trail or at the parking sites. I plan on bringing extra water and will probably make a trip back to my truck Sat or stash it on one of the forest roads close to the trail if I can get to them early Friday.

Caveman
02-18-2013, 14:23
Is it the weekend yet?

I'll be bringing 4 liters of water and my filter. I'll also have water in the car so I can hike back out and refill if I need to. 4 Liters will usually last me the weekend (depending on the temp)

(I use recycled soda 2 liter bottles...they work great and when they are empty they crush down pretty small)

gmcpcs
02-18-2013, 14:27
I have a golite breeze that's light and has tons of room. If you need another pack to use just let me know and I will pack it..

Certainly, if you have the room and don't mind. I am hoping our order comes in, also, it is good to discipline yourself to bringing a smaller amount of items.

With the filter it will help if you use activated charcoal. The filters will not take the orders and tastes away...You can always stash some clean water on the trail or at the parking sites. I plan on bringing extra water and will probably make a trip back to my truck Sat or stash it on one of the forest roads close to the trail if I can get to them early Friday.

The charcoal makes sense. We were also going to bring some extra water and stash in the car; just also using this as a test bed for some of this other gear I can't seem to get enough of...

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

gmcpcs
02-18-2013, 21:46
OK,

Here is a link to the post with some photos of our afternoon trial run:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68416

I give it a qualified success, and we are coming to the Sam Houston National Forest come heck or high water. (what's water?)

We are still working on the food, and gear pack out. You know, I may just need to send a teenager on a couple of trips back and forth to the car to get everything :)

Being 200 yds from the house takes some of the risk out of the endeavor. We will definitely have a blast on this trip, and gain multiple experience points :)

Yep, Sarge, there are some trees here in West Texas. It's amazing what hanging potentials you see when you have some kids and want to get them outside,

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

UncleMJM
02-18-2013, 23:47
It'll just be me coming from Aggieland. Texas longhorns decided to pass on the hiking.

I plan to head out around noon Friday. ETA will depend on which plan we end up following.

Unfortunately I can only do Friday night and Saturday until after lunch but I'm still looking forward to this a lot.

Any guestimate on when folks plan on hitting the trail?

sargevining
02-19-2013, 00:13
Spaceweaseal is leaving his abode NLT 1000, which puts him at the trailhead at +/- 1100. I may or may not be with him if its Plan A (there's a more direct route from my house to the trailhead). If its Plan B we'll be riding together.

Notare
02-19-2013, 00:18
Space weasel should be fine on packs by wednesday. :D

sargevining
02-19-2013, 00:35
Temps during the day and the night look good:

If the forecast holds, my UQ worries will vanish. Having trouble under 45*.

Hopefully, the chance for rain will keep them from doing a burn.

Come on Friday!

sargevining
02-19-2013, 00:38
OH--

And I shed another 5 oz from the pack.

Sweetie bought me a new camera for my birthday

I turned 60 today.

I lived like I was supposed to die before I turned 30. Unfortunately, I lived that way until I turned 37.

spaceweaseal
02-19-2013, 00:38
Space weasel should be fine on packs by wednesday. :D

Man, You rock,:D
Thank you

spaceweaseal
02-19-2013, 00:39
OH--

And I shed another 5 oz from the pack.

Sweetie bought me a new camera for my birthday

I turned 60 today.

I lived like I was supposed to die before I turned 30. Unfortunately, I lived that way until I turned 37.

Happy B-day

Caveman
02-19-2013, 11:44
Hey sarge, I hate to have to read back through all 21 pages....

Where do I need to meet u guys on Saturday afternoon? I shpuld be there around 1630 or so.

Thanks

Oh....,happy birthday :)

sargevining
02-19-2013, 14:31
Pay attention on Thursday after I talk to the HBIC.

If its Plan A, then we meet at the campsite south of FS211A on the Little Lake Loop:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/medium/01wilderness_sc.pdf

If its Plan B, then follow this map:

To Parking Lot 8, SW of Huntsville, then use this map:

to hike to the Eastern end of the Four Notch Trail where it intersects with the LSHT. Its a 3 1/2 or 5 mile hike, depending on which route you take.

Plan B Friday nite camp is at Four Notch Hunter's Camp, which is kinda like Primitive Car Camping. I understand there's a privy there, but little else.

sargevining
02-19-2013, 14:32
Unless everybody would just like to can Plan A and go with Plan B no matter what the HBIC says.

What say y'all?

spaceweaseal
02-19-2013, 14:42
Let's just pick one or the other and go for it, that way everyone knows where to go before it's too late.

sargevining
02-19-2013, 14:45
Plan B is the one that works no matter what.

Plan B it is.

spaceweaseal
02-19-2013, 14:46
Plan b does sound good because I have not seen that area. It is supposed to be a pretty nice area but I am good with what the group decides. We just need to decide and go for it...

spaceweaseal
02-19-2013, 14:47
Sarge are we car pooling?

CooOkieCOOon
02-19-2013, 15:20
I'll vote Plan B. simply cause its closer to home for me. :)

sargevining
02-19-2013, 15:27
Sarge are we car pooling?

Yah.

We'll go with Plan B and get lost together.

CooOkieCOOon
02-19-2013, 15:29
If you do, just roll down your window and listen for the roar of I-45. It'll lead you home. ;)

Caveman
02-19-2013, 15:44
Ok..., so were parking at pl#8 and hiking east? I think I got it

Caveman
02-19-2013, 15:47
Are u going to b on the lhst side, or the four notch side? Or... R u guys going past the merge?

sargevining
02-19-2013, 16:01
Camping right at the merge so it can't be missed and you can take either route.

sargevining
02-19-2013, 16:02
If you do, just roll down your window and listen for the roar of I-45. It'll lead you home. ;)

We don't want to go home.

We're growedazz men and we'll get lost where we want to.

Notare
02-19-2013, 16:03
I will be doing Plan C. You will C me banging my head against a table while sitting at a kid birthday party. Even my son almost wanted to bail to go camping, till he heard they were doing laser tag. :D

sargevining
02-19-2013, 16:05
Tell him we will have muffins.

Notare
02-19-2013, 16:12
Tell him we will have muffins.
:lol: He might do it for a mountain of M&M's and Mint Chocolate Ice cream. We should be out for the April Hang. Then late April off to the PCT Kickoff for work and sneak away for some backpacking in da hills.

gmcpcs
02-19-2013, 17:04
Plan B works for us. ETA Parking Lot #8 on Friday is ~1630. I had both maps printed anyway. It will all be new to us, seeing rain, and pine trees. I am fed up with fed ex though, (And Sportsman's Guide!) they shipped our final gear pieces from the store via fedex to the post office, expecting the post office to finish the delivery.

Will have to wait until tomorrow to see if they traced it or not, before they will reship the items, by then it will be too late. I'll be getting another china stove on Thursday, if Amazon holds true. (I am cutting back on purchases, yep, all the time)

We are pros at monitoring and adjusting though.

See you there,
Take it easy,
gmcpcs

Caveman
02-20-2013, 12:55
Ok, Gimpy said he's in. He's riding with me. We should hit camp around 1700. Looking forward to it

sargevining
02-20-2013, 13:00
Any body else having trouble getting on to HF?

I can get on with my Kindle, but laptop & desk top no go.

CooOkieCOOon
02-20-2013, 13:13
I'm on from iPhone via Tapatalk, no problem..

I'll be coming out Friday evening after work. It'll likely be around or after dark when I arrive.

UncleMJM
02-20-2013, 13:39
My plan is to be on the trail by 1400. Not sure which route I'll take but will see everyone at the merge eventually. :)

Caveman
02-20-2013, 13:53
Ya, lots of folks having trouble with the site. I'm on tapatalk, but no go on the pc

sargevining
02-20-2013, 15:29
My plan is to be on the trail by 1400. Not sure which route I'll take but will see everyone at the merge eventually. :)

If you're coming in Friday, no need to hike the trail to find us. The hunter camp is on the left after you tur on to FS213 off of Four Notch Road.

gmcpcs
02-21-2013, 17:36
Wonders never cease; our order came in yesterday, so we spent last night making another PLUQ, doling out the food, and configuring the new pack. If it is possible to over plan this thing, I think we take the award? (Maybe we need to wait and see what Sgt Vining is bringing first)

Leaving early in the morning, see you tomorrow afternoon :)

Take it easy,
gmcpcs

sargevining
02-22-2013, 00:46
Packed & ready to go.

CooOkieCOOon
02-22-2013, 00:57
Just now getting to pack. :| Been a long week, ready to hit the trees..

spaceweaseal
02-22-2013, 01:49
Just now getting to pack. :| Been a long week, ready to hit the trees..

Are you bringing your strange looking friend?
The one that was hiding in the woods at Fairfield.:lol:

UncleMJM
02-22-2013, 08:20
Gear ready. Time to make an appearance in the office then scoot out at lunchtime. 4 1/2 hours until I hit the road.

spaceweaseal
02-22-2013, 08:53
Everyone, be safe in your travels and I will sell all of you in a few hrs...
Happy Hanging
Shawn

CooOkieCOOon
02-22-2013, 08:57
Are you bringing your strange looking friend?
The one that was hiding in the woods at Fairfield.:lol:

Omar Chaveź will not be attending this time. lol

sargevining
02-22-2013, 09:35
Got some intel from the LSHT Yahoo Group. There's a bunch of ground dwellers going to hike the trail near us and camp at Neiderhofer Lake on Saturday night. Neiderhofer Lake is about a half mile south of where we'll be camping. I say we sneak through the woods to near thier camp around 2200 and make noises like grizzly bears.

CooOkieCOOon
02-22-2013, 09:42
Got some intel from the LSHT Yahoo Group. There's a bunch of ground dwellers going to hike the trail near us and camp at Neiderhofer Lake on Saturday night. Neiderhofer Lake is about a half mile south of where we'll be camping. I say we sneak through the woods to near thier camp around 2200 and make noises like grizzly bears.

Maybe Omar should come..

sargevining
02-22-2013, 09:53
He3ading out the door. Shwan expect a phone call in about 5 mins---see you in about 45.

Yippee freaking kye freaking yay!

Notare
02-22-2013, 11:03
Im not jealous Im not jealous Im not jealous. The mantra I will keep repeating at my desk.

texron
02-22-2013, 16:02
I'm chanting along with you brother.

cliffhanger
02-24-2013, 16:48
hope you guys had fun out there...

I couldn't get out of work but would of attended.

I will most likely be heading out there this tue to thru hike the LSHT(west to east)... I have a couple questions for those who may know.

How is the cell phone coverage out there? (att)

How "closed" are the closed sections? Rangers posted up? just a sign? shot on site? ticket?

TIA

CooOkieCOOon
02-24-2013, 17:16
hope you guys had fun out there...

I couldn't get out of work but would of attended.

I will most likely be heading out there this tue to thru hike the LSHT(west to east)... I have a couple questions for those who may know.

How is the cell phone coverage out there? (att)

How "closed" are the closed sections? Rangers posted up? just a sign? shot on site? ticket?

TIA

I had cell service most if the time. (AT&T)
Just signs from what I've seen. Fined if caught I believe..

CooOkieCOOon
02-24-2013, 17:20
Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both. (16 U.S.C. 551 and 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571).

To be exact..

Brute1100
02-24-2013, 17:21
violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both. (16 u.s.c. 551 and 18 u.s.c. 3559 and 3571).

To be exact..

ouch!!!!!!

cliffhanger
02-24-2013, 23:16
"ouch" +1

thanks....
I guess the hike will have to wait until trees and branches stop dying and falling down. :rolleyes:

sargevining
02-25-2013, 12:51
Just got back and haven't downloaded pics yet. Will get a trip report out ASAP. Look for "Scout The Wonder Dog And The Bushwhackers" coming to your local Hammock Forums soon.

We are definetely going to have to go out there again for camping at Hidden Lake. It is a little jewel and just difficult enough to get to that camping out there shouldn't be crowded even in the most popular periods for camping. Perhaps as the site for the next Butt Bake?

spaceweaseal
02-25-2013, 13:34
it was a great weekend....

CooOkieCOOon
02-25-2013, 14:15
it was a great weekend....

+1. I'll certainly discover the hidden lake again someday.

sargevining
02-25-2013, 15:50
Just watch those right hand turns------

I took one on the way back and had to countermarch a quarter mile

Cookiecoonwhisperer
02-25-2013, 17:21
I hear the times had were great and many. Speak of whispering calls and the missing delectable consumption of the delicious treats. And, some invited the warmth of underfur insulation.. ;) :D

UncleMJM
02-25-2013, 17:26
I hear the times had were great and many. Speak of whispering calls and the missing delectable consumption of the delicious treats. And, some invited the warmth of underfur insulation.. ;) :D

Welcome to the forums CCW! Are you going to check out group hang plans so that you can better plan your under tarp frolics? :lol:

Cookiecoonwhisperer
02-25-2013, 17:37
Welcome to the forums CCW! Are you going to check out group hang plans so that you can better plan your under tarp frolics? :lol:

Searching and planning of under tarp frolicking is ongoing and constant. :)