PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hammocks Unite

Counselor
01-08-2009, 13:23
So it seems like their are a couple of us in or around the Houston area.

How about we "hang" out sometime.

If you are interested - please add your name to the list

1. Counselor and Mrs. Counselor

Date to be decided

Alan
01-08-2009, 13:29
2. Alan

UncleMJM
01-08-2009, 15:47
2. Alan
3. UncleMJM aka Mike and maybe Mrs too

Counselor
01-08-2009, 15:58
1. Counselor
2. Mrs. Counselor
4. Alan

I guess when we get to 5-6 we can look at a time and place

LostCause
01-08-2009, 16:09
1. Counselor
2. Mrs. Counselor
4. Alan
5. LostCause and Mrs. LostCause (but depends on work schedule)

Red Hat
01-08-2009, 16:59
1. Counselor
2. Mrs. Counselor
4. Alan
6. Red Hat (Mr Red Hat only does hotels...lol)

So when? I have my kids visiting Jan 24-30, then it's Superbowl and I'm sure we'll be doing a party, so Feb?

Counselor
01-08-2009, 19:07
I am fine with Feb. Unless it's cold - no UQ yet.

I was thinking that we could all meet on Friday night at the location and have Friday and Saturday night to hang, hike, talk, etc etc

Tango61
01-09-2009, 00:53
1. Counselor
2. Mrs. Counselor
4. Alan
7. Tango61

Let me know when and I should be able to make it. Might can bring my son and possibly another from Big D.

If you have it in Davy Crockett National Forest, you'll be about 45 minutes from me.:D Good place with lots of trees.

txulrich
01-09-2009, 12:38
1. Counselor
2. Mrs. Counselor
4. Alan
7. Tango61

Let me know when and I should be able to make it. Might can bring my son and possibly another from Big D.

If you have it in Davy Crockett National Forest, you'll be about 45 minutes from me.:D Good place with lots of trees.

I know right where we can hang too!!!

Counselor
01-09-2009, 12:43
We can meet where the majority of the people live . . . which i believe is houston.

Huntsville seems like the ideal location so far.

Red Hat
01-09-2009, 12:46
Actually, Huntsville is between Houston & Dallas, so not a bad location... meet there!

Ah, the old Houston/Dallas debate rears its ugly head....

Red Hat
01-09-2009, 12:57
It's about 240 miles from Houston to Dallas. Centerville would be halfway for all, but no camping that I know of in the area. Huntsville is 75 miles from Houston, but 165 from Dallas... Suggestions? this started as a Houston area hang, but it would be nice to get others from our fair state too... Davy Crockett National Forest (outside Crockett) is about halfway... is it too far for the Houston folks? Davy Crockett NF does involve back roads that take longer driving times. Actually, my map program says it would take about 3 hrs from Dallas, and that's about what it would take to get to Huntsville. so go figure... what does anyone else say?

LostCause
01-09-2009, 13:25
As long as I'm not working, it doesn't matter to me. I just wanna hang!

UncleMJM
01-09-2009, 13:55
From College Station, I can head anywhere as long as the calendar permits.

A place that is not too heavily camped and just north of Centerville is Fairfield Lake State Park.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/fairfield_lake/

They have a "primitive" area with lots of trees. The reason for the "quotations" is that although it is a few miles in from the trail head, there is running water available and there are flushing toilets for those who find that important.

My schedule is fairly hectic so don't decide based on me, but if I can make it I will come.

Counselor
01-09-2009, 16:37
May I suggest a home and home hang?

Meaning we do closer to Houston the first time and then closer to Dallas the second time.

Red Hat
01-10-2009, 12:55
So who is familiar enough with Huntsville State Park to know about any policies about hammocks in the park? How many per campsite? What areas have enough trees for hanging?

I have another possibility: Lake Somerville Trailway at Nails Creek State Park. (west of Houston off 290) You park at the state park and walk about 2.4 miles to the Mill Pond camping area. Lots of trees here to hang from...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4505_121a.pdf

UncleMJM
01-10-2009, 14:22
I have hammock camped at Huntsville State Park and they have no problem with hangers there. The limit is 8 campers per site, although I don't recall any sites that would support 8 hammocks. It's a nice park with easy access. My only complaint is listening to the I45 traffic while trying to sleep. It's pretty close to civilization.

Counselor
01-10-2009, 15:32
So who is familiar enough with Huntsville State Park to know about any policies about hammocks in the park? How many per campsite? What areas have enough trees for hanging?

I have another possibility: Lake Somerville Trailway at Nails Creek State Park. (west of Houston off 290) You park at the state park and walk about 2.4 miles to the Mill Pond camping area. Lots of trees here to hang from...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4505_121a.pdf

that sounds good to me. I really like the idea of the 2.4 mile hike!

I will be checking out hunstville in the next couple of weeks so i can report back then.

slowhike
01-10-2009, 22:26
Go guys, GO!
You know pictures are required<G>.

Counselor
01-10-2009, 23:23
Go guys, GO!
You know pictures are required<G>.

ohh Winston Salem - I love that city!

slowhike
01-11-2009, 15:49
ohh Winston Salem - I love that city!

I'm not actually in the city... about a 15 min drive away, but let us know if you make plans to visit NC again.
Maybe we can get a few hammockers together.

Counselor
01-13-2009, 10:41
Ok everyone How does mid to late Feb sound?

Alan
01-13-2009, 10:44
Ok everyone How does mid to late Feb sound?

Have a specific date and location in mind yet or is that still undecided?

Counselor
01-13-2009, 14:52
Date undecided - location Huntsville or Lake Summerville . . . we will put it up to a vote.

Red Hat
01-13-2009, 15:23
Mid to late Feb should be good for me...

UncleMJM
01-13-2009, 15:45
I'm not gonna vote on a date because my schedule is somewhat full in February but if I can make it I will.

Counselor
01-13-2009, 16:19
If we can get a solid group it would be great to make it a monthly or bi-monthly event.

I can see monthly at least for the GHA (Greater Houston Area)

Chrisp70
01-13-2009, 18:56
Summerville is 3 hours from Here Huntsvill is only a little closer as you GHAer's know. I have some family in spring I could drop off the non-hangers in the family. Summer vacation sounds a little better for me. I'm in cub scouts, girl scouts and boy scouts.

Counselor
01-20-2009, 20:14
Ok guys - we have the confirmation from Hunstville state Park that Hammocks are allowed.

Let's start looking at dates - how does March sound?

Red Hat
01-21-2009, 11:15
Hiking the AT a bit over Spring Break (March 15-21) so not great for me... Feb is better, but may probably be colder... Glad to hear they allow hammocks, though! Any ideas for where in the park?

Counselor
01-21-2009, 16:47
Hiking the AT a bit over Spring Break (March 15-21) so not great for me... Feb is better, but may probably be colder... Glad to hear they allow hammocks, though! Any ideas for where in the park?

I'm trying to avoid buying and UQ and TQ . that's what i suggest March. If the site is truly near our cars - i can bring traditional blankets if everyone promises not to laugh!

Alan is working on the site location i believe.

Alan
01-21-2009, 16:57
Alan is working on the site location i believe.

Soon as we decide on the date I can call and make the reservations.

beeman
01-22-2009, 18:05
I have been hesitant to add to this thread, but if the last weekend in February is chosen, I and my son may attend from the Dallas area.

Red Hat
01-22-2009, 19:16
If you wait for everyone to agree, you'll never get out there. Whoever is in charge of reservations, pick a date and let us know. Those who can will, and those who can't will wish they could.

Counselor
01-22-2009, 19:41
Last weekend in Feb is not good for the wife. Perhaps first weekend of March?

Counselor
01-25-2009, 22:24
Dates: March 6 and March 7

Attendees

1. Counselor
2. Cheerleader

UncleMJM
01-25-2009, 23:22

Attendees

1. Counselor
2. Cheerleader
3. UncleMJM & ground dwelling son

Counselor
02-06-2009, 18:38
anyone else?

UncleMJM
02-06-2009, 22:32
I'm still good for that date. The location is fine too, although if it would get more folks, I wouldn't mind going further north to other State Parks up I 45

Red Hat
02-07-2009, 11:19
Sorry, I'm leaving March 13th for 10 days and my husband might be a little upset if I'm gone the weekend beforehand. Next time...

beeman
02-08-2009, 09:11
CAnnot do it that date either. I'm helping to put on a teachers appreciation luncheon at my son's school on Friday and taking my daughter to a rowing competition in Austin Saturday. PErhaps next time.

Alan
02-08-2009, 15:03

Attendees

1. Counselor
2. Cheerleader
4. Alan

Counselor
02-08-2009, 22:35
I've got no issues adjusting the date back a week (or having a second hang).

Glad to see your name on the list Alan.

R3dShift
02-15-2009, 22:39
Hi everyone,

New member here. I just ordered my first hammock a few days ago and I haven't even set eyes on it yet, but I wanted to take the opportunity to say hi while all of my fellow (East) Texans were in one group here. I also wanted to bring to your attention a 20 mile trail in my neck of the woods that might make a nice hike for another meeting.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Four%20C.html

Counselor
02-23-2009, 15:12
Alan will be calling to make reservations. Is their anyone else that will be attending. Current list is:

Attendees

1. Counselor
2. Cheerleader
4. Alan

Please confirm.

Alan
02-23-2009, 15:15
I'll call tomorrow with our final numbers. I'll ask for a family friendly area with LOTS of trees close together! :lol:

Chris - is there any sort of coupon code, ticket #, reference # I'll need when I call to make the reservations and tell them about your coupon?

Counselor
02-23-2009, 15:17
I'll call tomorrow with our final numbers. I'll ask for a family friendly area with LOTS of trees close together! :lol:

Chris - is there any sort of coupon code, ticket #, reference # I'll need when I call to make the reservations and tell them about your coupon?

I won't be able to get that until Wed. My wife is out of town - so when she returns I'll ask her for it, then I'll email it to you.

Alan
02-23-2009, 15:18
I won't be able to get that until Wed. My wife is out of town - so when she returns I'll ask her for it, then I'll email it to you.

Sounds good. I'll wait to make reservations when I hear back from you with any info from the coupon.

UncleMJM
02-23-2009, 16:06
My son and I are both looking forward to some time in the woods and the chance to meet some other Texas Hammock Hangers.

LostCause
02-23-2009, 16:18
Work load permitting, the wife and I will make an appearance. Unfortunately I cannot make any promises.
Are you going to post a google map of the general area where you are all going to be?

Edit: I'll handle my own reservation if I am able to go. But I do hope to see everyone out there!

Counselor
02-23-2009, 17:49
Good point.

Alan - how we will handle finding the right location?

Also are you making the reservation for Friday and Saturday night?

Work load permitting, the wife and I will make an appearance. Unfortunately I cannot make any promises.
Are you going to post a google map of the general area where you are all going to be?

Edit: I'll handle my own reservation if I am able to go. But I do hope to see everyone out there!

UncleMJM
02-23-2009, 18:37
We will only be there Friday night and daytime on Saturday.

It may make sense to have us all make our own reservations.

The reservations are not site specific so the first one there can pick a place with good trees and then leave word at the gate that "the Hammock Forum group is near campsite # ___ . "

Thoughts?

Alan
02-23-2009, 19:33
I can only be there from Friday at noon, thru Friday night, and Saturday half day. Probably have to bug out sometime after lunch Saturday.

Reservation will be for Friday at noon through Saturday at ??? Not sure how it works. Last time I actually camped at Huntsville State Park I was a kid and didn't have to worry about making the reservations.

LostCause - We'll keep the light on for you!

I'm waiting to hear back from Counselor. He has a 1/2 off coupon that may allow us to make one reservation and all benefit from his generosity. I'll let him confirm.

I'm taking a vacation day March 6th, so I'm gonna leave the house sometime around noon to get there and get a spot. If everyone will PM me their names, screen names, and cell numbers...I'll text each of you when I arrive and give the site number.

Alan
02-25-2009, 12:32
Not to step on Chris' toes, but he and I have been talking and making final arrangements for the trip to HSP March 6-8th.

Chris (Counselor) has a 50% off coupon he is generously donating. I will call to make the reservations tomorrow morning for 7 hammock campers:

1. Counselor
2. Cheerleader
4. Alan
5. LostCause and wife (maybe)

The coupon is good for a 2-night stay only. Counselor and Cheerleader will be staying Friday night and Saturday night. (If I can swing it...so will I!)

I am taking a vacation day March 6th and will arrive at HSP early to check in and get the spot. If payment is due, I'll go ahead and pay and everyone else can pay me back.

Any other wishing to attend? Let me know right away!

LostCause
02-25-2009, 12:58
Hmmm.... no one has discussed food....

Cannibal
02-25-2009, 13:00
Hmmm.... no one has discussed food....
In Texas? Food doesn't need to be discussed as it is seen as a given. If there isn't any Brisket there, ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves. :glare::D

Alan
02-25-2009, 13:03
BYOF
(Bring your own food!)

Chrisp70
02-25-2009, 14:03
Just found out I'm going to reschedule my camp out with my scouts. I'm going to hint around to my wife about going to Gilmer, TX and do some Jeep Trail riding, or Heading out to Huntsville for some relaxation. It would be nice to go camping with out a pack of scouts around!

Alan
02-25-2009, 14:04
Just found out I'm going to reschedule my camp out with my scouts. I'm going to hint around to my wife about going to Gilmer, TX and do some Jeep Trail riding, or Heading out to Huntsville for some relaxation. It would be nice to go camping with out a pack of scouts around!

Does this mean you'll be able to join us?

Counselor
02-25-2009, 14:46

sounds like a cryptic message to me.

Chrisp70
02-25-2009, 16:04
Maybe! I will know here in the next couple of days.

We had reservations on the 6 th and 7th at Martin Dies Jr SP. The events cordinator had something come up. We had an awsome weekend planned. We might continue to go up there and cordinate our own event's. We may reschedule. My wife trys to keep me down to camping one weekend a month :-) I usually go up to Gilmer, TX for a little Rock Crawling the first weekend of March, but the kids won over the Jeep.

UncleMJM
02-25-2009, 17:13
Food?

The last time I camped at HSP, I drove a couple of miles into town and went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner, had pop tarts for breakfast and Sonic for lunch.

But wait, my wife and daughter are not coming this time so I will bring my own and stay in the woods.

Alan
02-25-2009, 17:21
Looks like there are spots designated for tent campers only. We don't need no stinkin' electrical hookups!

Check in time on Friday is 2pm so that's when I'll get there.
I'll post what site we get. Any preferences? Some are closer to the water.

There appears to be a charge for more than 2 cars per site. We'll figure that out later.

LostCause
02-25-2009, 17:37
Is there a possibility to go 'make' our own campsite so to speak? A short hike from the parking area away from the tenters?

Chrisp70
02-25-2009, 17:40
I just spoke to the wife. She is friendly for some reason? If I can get the other scout parents to reschedule I will be free this weekend.

Huntsville SP 3 hours 9 mins 119 miles

Alan
I'll ask about "stealth" camping away from our site.

Chrisp70
You could meet out side the park and caravan in.

Alan
02-25-2009, 17:45
You could meet out side the park and caravan in.

If someone wants to meet me there at 2pm, sounds good to me. I want to miss all the Friday afternoon traffic!

LostCause
02-25-2009, 17:58
I want to miss all the Friday afternoon traffic!

I agree. Traffic on I-45 is a #$%^&. Hwy 59 though is worse, at least in my experience.

UncleMJM
02-25-2009, 22:14
I'll try to meet you there by 2:00.

Alan
02-26-2009, 07:14
I'll try to meet you there by 2:00.

Sent you a PM with my cell number.

Counselor
02-26-2009, 10:42
i'm gonna try to take a half a day as well - we will see.

Alan
02-26-2009, 12:05
Just called HSP and there are some concerns:

1. Can we stealth camp away from our reserved campsites? No
2. Are there areas in the park that are more densely populated with trees in order to accommodate 5-7 hammock campers? Yes. She suggested sites 26-40, BUT...

*** She suggested we scout those sites first. This may not be possible! ***

UncleMJM has a better idea! See below...

UncleMJM
02-26-2009, 17:26
Here are a couple of thoughts and my numbering won't match Alan's ...

1. Don't trust the map as far as scale goes. It may be accurate, but not necessarily. And take with a grain of salt the park attendant's comments about suitable trees. Most of the sites will have a tree or more, but whenever I have asked a park employee, (at other state parks), over the phone about sites, the reality was much different than what I expected based upon their comments. Having said that, since reservations are first come first serve, I think that if a couple of us get there by 2:00 we should have a pretty good chance of pick of the litter.

2. The restroom facilities there are usually in pretty good shape so there shouldn't be an odor issue and it doesn't matter how far away we are because everything there is relatively close.

3. Sites 36, 38, 41, and 43 are inside of a loop and back up to other campsites. The ones on the other side of the road, if memory serves right, back up to woods so there would not be a reason for anyone to randomly walk through our camp and there may be more suitable trees.

4. If you want to go ahead and reserve 2 sites, go for it. I will cover the cost for one of them for one night.

5. If you are hesitant about reserving and not knowing for sure what's available, then I may have another option for us to consider that is not too far from there but before I muddy the waters with more options, let's get some other opinions.

Alan
02-26-2009, 17:35
You, sir, are VERY wise in these matters!

Edited. See below for update.

Alan
02-26-2009, 20:34
UncleMJM called me earlier and we discussed the pros and cons of HSP, especially in light of recent events.

I think UncleMJM has come up with a MUCH better plan. He suggested 2 alternatives to HSP:

STUBBLEFIELD LAKE CAMPGROUND

This is a fully developed campground area located along Forest Service Road 215 on the south shore of Stubblefield Lake, an oxbow lake on the upper reaches of Lake Conroe. The vegetation in the campground consists primarily of southern pine, oaks, gums, and dogwoods. It is a fairly open campground; however, portions of the area contain thick vegetation between campsites providing a private atmosphere. It has 30 campsites with picnic tables, fire rings, lantern posts and tent pads.

There are no electrical or water hookups available. Potable water is available from hydrants throughout the campground area. The Stubblefield area has toilet facilities with running water and hot showers.

The fee for this campground is $10.00 per night per campsite (includes 2 vehicles), payable upon arrival at your chosen site. There is a limit of eight persons per campsite. All other sites are on a first come, first serve basis. The entrance station has a receptacle for fee deposit.

KELLY'S POND CAMPGROUND

This is a primitive (no fee) campground area located at the end of Forest Service Road 271. Kelly's Pond has an open-air feeling with sparse vegetation consisting primarily of southern pine and oak within the camping area. It has eight campsites with picnic tables, fire rings and lantern posts.

Tent camping is available here. Individuals must utilize the adjacent parking area and walk into the camping units. The area is very primitive with no potable water or electricity. There is a vault toilet, but no shower facility. The closest water is located at Stubblefield Lake Campground, approximately 4 miles to the north.

Mike and I should be able to grab prime real estate (no matter which park we choose) since we'll arrive early Friday afternoon.

1. We should be able to pick our own spots, stealth camp, spread out, or close ranks if desired.

2. We won't be as restricted with state park rules, still have amenities available (at Stubblefield), and be closer than HSP. (i.e. fire pits available at Stubblefield and Kelly's Pond)

3. Stubblefield certainly appears to be a more advanced area than Kelly's Pond.

Mike said he'd be around later this evening and can provide greater detail to his ideas.

UncleMJM
02-26-2009, 21:53
I should be a ventriloquist. Everything I wanted to say is in Alan's message and I didn't even move my lips.

The only thing I will add is that I will be camping at Stubblefield Lake tomorrow night and will have a better informed opinion by the time I get back.

An interesting point is that although Kelly's Pond has more trees and is free, (of course it has less creature comforts), it does have a $5.00 per person entry fee. Stubblefield has more going for it and no per person fee since the sites are $10.00 each.

One other point to clarify, at Stubblefield there is only one car per site without a $5.00 fee per car over 1.

Alan
02-26-2009, 22:12
I should be a ventriloquist. Everything I wanted to say is in Alan's message and I didn't even move my lips.
:lol:

The only thing I will add is that I will be camping at Stubblefield Lake tomorrow night and will have a better informed opinion by the time I get back.

Even better! We'll be able to get a scouting report from UncleMJM. :shades:

Counselor
02-27-2009, 01:08
I'm good with whatever you decide :)

Red Hat
02-27-2009, 10:02

We're in our RV over at Somerville State Park, Birch Creek Unit. It is super windy here, how was it at Stubblefield? That's a nice little park. I've camped there several times while hiking the Lone Star Hiking Trail. I'm putting out the hammock today just for practice, then hiking into the woods with a friend to do the Somerville Hiking Trail tomorrow. My BB isn't here yet, so I'm using my HULBA and homemade UQ. Not supposed to be very cold, but still windy. Hope you guys have a great time next weekend.

UncleMJM
02-28-2009, 22:31
We arrived at Stubblefield Campground (Sam Houston National Forest) between 1:00 and 2:00 Friday afternoon and the place was nearly empty so and I had my pick of the place.

There are many sites that would accommodate multiple hammocks, in fact the site I was in could have worked for 5 or 6 I bet. Anyway, sites 19, 20, and 21 are right next to each other, they have water access, and the restroom is just across the road. Also across the road is a trail head for the Lone Star Hiking Trail.

The place did fill up by late Friday evening due to a big orienteering competition but even so, it was not nearly as densely populated as I have seen some state parks.

It rained some late Friday night and was quite windy, however, where we were there was good wind protection from the surrounding trees and we were high and dry.

One thing nice about this place is that unlike State Parks, gathering of downed wood for fires is allowed and even with burn bans in the area, campfires were allowed. It would be a good idea to bring some firewood to simplify things though.

After checking it out, I strongly suggest we go here.

For more info ... http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/sam_houston/stubblefield.shtml

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5108&c=18

Alan
03-01-2009, 14:10
Sure feels like Stubblefield is the right place for our Texas Hammock Hangout!
Count me in!

Mike, I still plan on being there around 2pm unless you'd like to meet sooner so we can secure an entire area for our crew.

Red Hat
03-01-2009, 18:47
We arrived at Stubblefield Campground (Sam Houston National Forest) between 1:00 and 2:00 Friday afternoon and the place was nearly empty so and I had my pick of the place.

There are many sites that would accommodate multiple hammocks, in fact the site I was in could have worked for 5 or 6 I bet. Anyway, sites 19, 20, and 21 are right next to each other, they have water access, and the restroom is just across the road. Also across the road is a trail head for the Lone Star Hiking Trail.

The place did fill up by late Friday evening due to a big orienteering competition but even so, it was not nearly as densely populated as I have seen some state parks.

It rained some late Friday night and was quite windy, however, where we were there was good wind protection from the surrounding trees and we were high and dry.

One thing nice about this place is that unlike State Parks, gathering of downed wood for fires is allowed and even with burn bans in the area, campfires were allowed. It would be a good idea to bring some firewood to simplify things though.

After checking it out, I strongly suggest we go here.

For more info ... http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/sam_houston/stubblefield.shtml

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5108&c=18

Friday night it was hot when I crawled into my hammock out on the Somerville Trailway several miles out of Birch Creek Park. During the night the cold front blew in and the wind began to sway me and my hammock. I wrapped up tight in my sleeping bag and tried to sleep. Then my bottom began to fall through the bottom entry on my HH. Never happened to me before! Think I may have had the head end tied too high as I was sliding down with my bottom falling through most of the night. It was not pleasant. I'm glad to say my Warbonnet BB arrived in the mail and was waiting for me upon my return.

Counselor
03-01-2009, 20:21
Stubblefield it is . . . can we get a final head count . . . also - how many women will be going? (my wife doesn't want to be the only one).

Alan
03-01-2009, 20:27
I think the final count is 5 w/ 2 who said "maybe".
Just me. My wife isn't coming, but don't let that stop your wife! I think it's awesome that she wants to come.

Counselor
03-01-2009, 21:50
I think the final count is 5 w/ 2 who said "maybe".
Just me. My wife isn't coming, but don't let that stop your wife! I think it's awesome that she wants to come.

She's gonna bail if she's the only girl.

Is their anyone doing two nights?

Big D
03-01-2009, 22:24
Stubblefield it is . . . can we get a final head count . . . also - how many women will be going? (my wife doesn't want to be the only one).

Man, I wish I could make this. If my plans fall through, would you guys/girls mind me crashing? I can't believe that I just found this.

Counselor
03-01-2009, 22:35
Man, I wish I could make this. If my plans fall through, would you guys/girls mind me crashing? I can't believe that I just found this.

We will save you a spot. I'm considering a two night hang as well.

UncleMJM
03-01-2009, 23:52
I will be arriving by 2:00 and plan on shooting for campsites 19-21.

I too want to encourage any wife or wives to attend. Mine would be there but has a commitment with her school work.

Again, my son and I will only be there the one night.

LostCause
03-02-2009, 00:03
If I'm able to go, my wife will be with me.

I'm the maybe guy.

My work schedule is unpredictable and I won't know until probably a day or two before. But I DO hope to see you all there!

Alan
03-02-2009, 10:12
This is going to be a great event. :cool:

Thanks to Counselor for posting the idea!
Thanks to UncleMJM for scouting the area ahead of time!

Big D and LC - sure hope you guys can make it.

Anyone else? Please feel free to join us!

Counselor
03-02-2009, 14:40
Thanks to Alan for keeping the idea going.

Looks like the wife is going to bail on us - she's doesn't want to be the only chick.

So this means I have an extra Blackbird if anyone wants to try it out :)

Alan
03-02-2009, 15:27
Looks like the wife is going to bail on us - she's doesn't want to be the only chick.

Ah man. That stinks! I wish she would come. I certainly don't think ANYONE would mind if she were there. I know I wouldn't! She's been wanting to join since we first kicked off the idea.

I think she'd have a blast hearing all of us shoot the bull and lie about the size of the fish we caught last time we were out fishing or how big a rack there was on the last buck we shot. :lol:

Counselor
03-02-2009, 16:28
She'll probably come to a future hang. She's only interested in this stuff because i don't shut up about it. The good news is that she doesn't mind me going!

rhjanes
03-02-2009, 17:03
I was interested in your Orienteering comments. I wasn't at that meet, but a work friend was. Looks like it got REAL interesting!
The kid made a "180", got lost. At least he found water, quit wandering, and waited for help. Just like Coach Duane told them!
http://cbs11tv.com/local/missing.boy.found.2.948142.html

LostCause
03-02-2009, 17:10
She'll probably come to a future hang. She's only interested in this stuff because i don't shut up about it.

Somehow this sounds familiar...

Counselor
03-03-2009, 14:27
i'm going to need more specific information on where to meet.

Alan
03-03-2009, 14:30
i'm going to need more specific information on where to meet.

Texas 1375 west from New Waverly for 9 miles; turn right (NW) on FSR 215 for 3 miles.

I believe UncleMJM and I are going to squat on sites 19-21.

PM sent

UncleMJM
03-03-2009, 14:41
FSR 215 is also known as Stubblefield Lake Road. There is actually a sign on 1375 for Stubblefield Lake campground at that turn.

The rules are that you cannot reserve a site unless you are there, so Alan and I will each get a site and then hangout at the site in between.

I am thinking sites 19-21 but if it is different, we will not be hard to find since there are only 30 sites in the entire place.

Alan
03-03-2009, 14:54
The rules are that you cannot reserve a site unless you are there, so Alan and I will each get a site and then hangout at the site in between.

I will bring more than 1 hammock so we can put them up to make it appear as though there are more people than me and Mike.

Counselor
03-03-2009, 14:55
I will bring more than 1 hammock so we can put them up to make it appear as though there are more people than me and Mike.

Hang up ALL of your tarps every where :)

What else are you guys bringing?

Alan
03-03-2009, 15:00
I'm bringing everything AND the kitchen sink since we're car camping.

food
clothes
money
sleeping bags
quilts
tarps
hammocks
flashlights
camp chair
etc

Counselor
03-03-2009, 15:04
I'm bringing everything AND the kitchen sink since we're car camping.

food
clothes
money
sleeping bags
quilts
tarps
hammocks
flashlights
camp chair
etc

I'm going to try to keep it as minimal as possible. I'll bring stuff to cook out of my stoves - want to try the several different models I have.

UncleMJM
03-03-2009, 23:36
I'll bring a couple of hammocks to fill the trees too.

I am looking forward to seeing some Blackbirds except that I may find I want something new.

Counselor
03-04-2009, 08:31
I think I'm taking the entire day off Friday. so i can be there early too.

1) Big D and Lost Cause - any news?
2) Anyone staying two nights?
3) Do we want to consider an open fire BBQ?

LostCause
03-04-2009, 09:14
If everything goes perfect, I can be there Saturday.

But out here, things are not likely to even go decent, let alone perfect. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a bow here and let you guys do your thing. It's really unfortunate, because I REALLY wanted to be there.

Take lots of pictures for that report that you are going to post on HF guys. Have fun!

Counselor
03-04-2009, 09:29
We will still hold a spot for you.

by the way, how is that hammock stand you ordered?

LostCause
03-04-2009, 09:52
Thanks. I am still hoping my wife and I can make it.

I've only used the stand once, but I like it. I actually have it in my living room and it spans under my futon so that it takes up little to no space. I'm just kicking myself because I jumped the gun and missed that deal...

Did you get in on that stand action?

Counselor
03-04-2009, 10:52
I checked amazon today and the price is up to $129. from what I've read Amazon made an error and canceled everyone's order.

I've been thinking about making my own stand - seems simply enough - but this is idiot proof :) is it stable when rolling around?

LostCause
03-04-2009, 12:43
It doesn't have wheels, but it disassembles pretty easily.

Edit: Wait... you probably meant rolling around in the hammock. :lol:

Yeah. It's pretty stable. I had my mayan hung from it and it flexed but was stable. I wouldn't attach a tarp to both points because of the flexing. You would need some kind of shock cord attachment to compensate.

Counselor
03-04-2009, 22:53
Alan - no hammock talk today?You must be sick or something

Alan
03-04-2009, 22:58
Alan - no hammock talk today?You must be sick or something

I've posted here and there tonight but my wife is VERY ill and we're not sure what's going on. I'm trying to keep her from becoming dehydrated.

LostCause
03-04-2009, 23:59
I hope it isn't anything serious. Gatorade is always good, clear fluids at least. Wish her a speedy recovery.

Alan
03-05-2009, 07:19
Thanks. Hope she gets to feeling better before I head out for our hang.

Counselor
03-05-2009, 08:39
Great - now i feel like a jerk. My apologies Alan.

I hope everything is going better with your wife.

Alan
03-05-2009, 08:55
Great - now i feel like a jerk. My apologies Alan.

I hope everything is going better with your wife.

You shouldn't feel like a jerk at all! If anything, I'd say you're clairvoyant! :laugh:

She'll be alright. She's starting to get mean again. That typically means she's feeling better. :lol:

Alan
03-05-2009, 08:59
Just to finalize things on my end...I plan on being at the Stubblefield campground around 2pm Friday afternoon. I am bringing several hammocks and will set them up to help save sites 19-21.

Hope everyone can make it!

UncleMJM
03-05-2009, 09:05
What he said. Me too.

Counselor
03-05-2009, 09:28
Yup, me three.

Would you guys be interested in meeting at REI and follow each other up?

Alan
03-05-2009, 09:35
I'm way up north in the Spring/Woodlands area. REI is quite a ways from me.

Counselor
03-05-2009, 09:41
I was thinking the REI in the woodlands - their is one, right?

or some other place in the woodlands.

Alan
03-05-2009, 09:48
I was thinking the REI in the woodlands - their is one, right?

or some other place in the woodlands.

If there is a new REI in The Woodlands...I'm gonna be hacked off! I absolutely HATE traffic and despise driving over to the REI at Willowbrook.

Counselor
03-05-2009, 09:53
My mistake - it's at willowbrook. Scratch that idea.

Is their a location that would be convenient to meet at - say 1:00 and caravan up?

Alan
03-05-2009, 10:00
My mistake - it's at willowbrook. Scratch that idea.

Is their a location that would be convenient to meet at - say 1:00 and caravan up?

If I'm the furthest person north on I-45, I would suggest someplace where everyone would be able to get off and then right back on the freeway.

There is a Wells Fargo bank at the corner of I-45 and Spring Cypress. It has a huge parking lot area right there on the feeder road right past the light at the Exxon station.

How about there?

For all you coming up my way, you'd take the Spring Cypress exit like you were going into Old Town Spring...go straight through the light...and turn right into the Wells Fargo parking lot. I'll be in a silver, 2-door Honda Accord.

For all of you with Google Earth, the bank is located at 30*04'33.03N and 95*26'07.42W

Counselor
03-05-2009, 10:03
i know exactly where that is.

I'll be there . . . 1:00 pm?

I'll be in a Red Pearl Acura Tl Type S :) I love my car.

Alan
03-05-2009, 10:04
1pm is good for me.

Mike?
Others?

Counselor
03-05-2009, 10:11
Big d - how are your plans looking?

Counselor
03-05-2009, 10:53
I am so excited about tomorrow that i have to sit on my hands to stop from clapping.

Alan
03-05-2009, 11:13
I've got to remember to bring my camera!

Counselor
03-05-2009, 11:29
I'm bringing a digital slr :)

Alan
03-05-2009, 11:32
I'm bringing a digital slr :)

+1 on that!

Counselor
03-05-2009, 11:44
now i need to find my tripod.

I'm also bringing:
- 2 Blackbird
- 2 Top blanket III
- 2 Snug Fit
- jet boil
- bunch of alcohol stoves
- Heet
- MacCat Tarp
- wood burning stove
- Hot chocolate

That's about as far as I've got with my list

UncleMJM
03-05-2009, 16:01
I will be coming in from College Station so as much as I love REI, it will be best for me to meet at Stubblefield.

Counselor
03-05-2009, 16:02
fine be that way - Why are Aggies always so difficult :)

LostCause
03-05-2009, 16:28
I can't wait to see all the pictures you guys are going to take. Is there going to be a video in this thread's future?

Alan - How's your wife feeling?

Counselor
03-05-2009, 16:39
my DSLR doesn't do video - that's up to Alan :)

UncleMJM
03-05-2009, 16:57
fine be that way - Why are Aggies always so difficult :)

It just comes with the territory. :)

Alan
03-05-2009, 20:33
My wife is NOT well. We believe she has Rotavirus. Turns out a child she was in contact with this past weekend recently had it.

Things have gone from bad to worse. She is now on special meds normally reserved for cancer patients to take during chemo treatment so as to keep them from getting sick. She can't even keep water down and the meds really aren't helping! I fear a trip to the ER soon if things don't drastically change. :scared:

I've asked time and again and she absolutely refuses to deny me the opportunity to go on this trip.

I'm slowly packing and just about ready to go.

Chris - I'll see you at the Wells Fargo tomorrow at 1pm.
UncleMJM - we'll meet you up there.
LC - sure wish you could make it!

My Canon S5 IS will do pix and vids.

*** Don't forget your $$$! It's $10 for camping overnight and $5 for your car. ***

Counselor
03-05-2009, 22:44
i have all my stuff out and ready. I'm ready for a lesson in how to properly hang everything too :)

UncleMJM
03-06-2009, 01:19
My wife is NOT well. We believe she has Rotavirus. Turns out a child she was in contact with this past weekend recently had it.

Things have gone from bad to worse. She is now on special meds normally reserved for cancer patients to take during chemo treatment so as to keep them from getting sick. She can't even keep water down and the meds really aren't helping! I fear a trip to the ER soon if things don't drastically change. :scared:

Alan, it's just a camping trip, take care of your wife and if you can't make this one, we can do others.

As far as the cost goes, it is $10.00 for the site and one car. The extra $5.00 is per additional car.

Counselor
03-06-2009, 09:14
Are we still getting three sites? if so who should ask for what site?

Alan
03-06-2009, 10:11
Are we still getting three sites? if so who should ask for what site?

I think Mike will be there earlier than us and is going to "reserve" those spots. It's a first-come/first-served campground.

Chrisp70
03-13-2009, 07:36
How did the hang go. I stayed at Martin Dies Jr, State Park. Great weather we had a slight mist one evening. Nice and cool.

Alan
03-13-2009, 08:00
How did the hang go. I stayed at Martin Dies Jr, State Park. Great weather we had a slight mist one evening. Nice and cool.

We had a great time! Trip report here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7530)