PDA

View Full Version : What is a top-quilt??

the beast
01-09-2009, 12:57
First off, let me say that before I got a hammock for xmas, I had no idea there was this much activity and option around them. I am looking forward to the future of digging into this forum and actually getting a few nights in the woods in my new hammock.
With that being said...This may sound like a dumb question, but I am pretty confused when i look at the top quilts. aren't they just a sleeping bag unzippered most of the way? So is this mainly a weight thing or what? I look forward to all replies!!!

2Questions
01-09-2009, 13:08
I'm home for lunch and like usual, check into HF to see what's going on. So let me take a stab at your question.

As you can imagine, the insulation in a sleeping bag that is underneath you when compressed looses much of its insulating ability. So, the idea in a hammock is to worry about the part of the bag that does not compress.....a top quilt concept. The area then needing insulation underneath you is then accomplished with an "underquilt" which hangs underneath the hammock (and up close to avoid drafts) or a Closed Cell Foam (CCF) pad. The CCF pad provides insulation where a compressed sleeping bag fill fails.

The top and under quilt concept is great for weight and space issues during winter camping. Pads take up a lot of room, even though they are fairly light.

Hope that helps some. I'm sure you'll receive lots of responses. You'll find everyone on HF is anxious to help out a new hammmock hanger. Welcome!

Cannibal
01-09-2009, 13:09
Yep, it's a weight thing. An unzipped bag will work, but you still have all the extra material that adds weight and bulk. An extra reason, for me, not using a bag is that I have zipper fear; I worry about the zipper catching on the hammock material and tearing.

Quilts (as used here) have a footbox that may, or may not, be permanent. A perfectly good synthetic topquilt can be made fairly inexpensively. Jardine (http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm) quilts are popular, easy, and quality gear.

FanaticFringer
01-09-2009, 13:09
Yes you can just use your bag unzipped as a top quilt. Most here prefer using a top quilt such as those sold by jacks r better www.jacksrbetter.com

Check out Just Jeffs (member here) site. It is truely hammock camping boot camp.
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

warbonnetguy
01-09-2009, 13:35
an unzipped sleeping bad may 60+ inches wide, when really a 48" wide topquilt is plenty wide, so you're looking at removeing alot of fabric and insulation from the side. i also found that when a sleeping bag is just unzipped it's so much wider than necessary that it is cumbersome.

te-wa
01-09-2009, 13:39
the only issue(s) that arise when using an unzipped bag as a top quilt are the width. Most sleeping bags, even mummy shaped, have a girth of 60-64 inches. That is a huge waste of fabric and filling when used as a TQ. Unless your a very large person, a 48" wide quilt is totally sufficient. My thin frame gets by with 42" quilts very nicely. The 42" would never work well on the ground though.
Extra width in an unzipped bag means: larger packing volume, heavier weight. Kind of a redundancy, if you can dig it.
if you want a TQ that works in a hammock or on the ground (in the rare instance you have to sleep there) the GoLight Ultra 20 is a fine choice. There are synthetic quilts that also work great if you are shy about down.

Just Jeff
01-09-2009, 14:38
Just think of it as a blanket like you use at home, but made of sleeping bag material.

fin
01-09-2009, 15:55
A top quilt is a way to spend more money on your new hobby. :blush::laugh:

billslade
01-09-2009, 16:19
I love my Nunatak Arc Ghost Top Quilt.
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_ghost.htm

Useable width:
shoulder 46"
hip 43"
foot 34"

If I were to order again I would add a few extra inches to the width. When I'm on my side with the legs curled up I have to shift it just right to provide full coverage. On my back its perfect. I'm 5' 10" and about 160lbs.

They are slightly expensive but worth it. Top quality!

koaloha05
01-09-2009, 22:26
In addition to the weight/volume saving over a bag of similar warmth IMHO top quilts are easier to get into/under than bags in a hammock, more versatile for temperature control compared to any bag with a side zipper. I'm a cold sleeper . My comfort range using a JRB Nest and appropriate under side insulation has been from the low 60F to low 20F. Light weight to mid weight base layer with balaclava for sleep clothing.

Ewker
01-09-2009, 22:42
I will keep using my Marmot Helium 900 fill down bag at 1.5 lbs and rated a 15°