PDA

View Full Version : Video : The Ghost on Browning Hill

GrizzlyAdams
01-09-2009, 22:50
Mule (skskinner), Hiking Dave and I did an overnight hike this week, to the peak of Browning Hill, near Story, IN. Mule and Dave know these woods well, and there is a lot of local lore surrounding this "Stonehedge of Indiana".

Mostly this is footage of us stomping around on the trails, but there is some gear talk. And a real, true ghost story.

It was a brisk night, low temperature was 16.5 degrees. All of us stayed warm in our hangs, it was only when we broke camp that fingers got cold.

For high resolution, go here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC8XfGJYv3I).

mC8XfGJYv3I

Grizz

Dutch
01-09-2009, 23:16
I think I saw the ghost.

Shug
01-10-2009, 01:09
They are some poor wayfaring strangers ........... walking in ........... the woods sooooo cold............. "Wayfaring Stranger" was a most prodigious choice for the ending scene. That is one of the songs that I have requested to played at my Demise Party ... at the Cemetery. One of my favorite Bill Monroe pieces. Pick and sing it myself .... in Em. Gotta be minor key!
Wow Grizz...that mandolin gave me chills with the still shots of snow with leaves peeking out of the snow. Fellers walking and spending the time in God's Finest Work. Not that I am the most religious ape in the woods but I feel it there in the piney, spooky woods. All three of you are blessed to be granted the gift of COMFORT and security in the forest and are using that gift aggressively. That is powerful stuff because not everybody gets that gift and is able to see, feel and revel in what I feel is His greatest work ........ OK, sorry to get kinda mushy on you.
Love that stark tree footage. And seeing all the hammock set ups with chit-chat on the actual rig. Warbonnet tarp looked stellar as did all the tarps. I like the "pole propping" on the one.
When is your next yard sale? Soonest I hope.
I think the content of this viddy is wonderful as it is an extraordinary thing to capture a live trip and then let us come along in a vicarious way.
Thanks Grizz ..... 5 *****

d-p
01-10-2009, 10:31
Hey "hangers",

I spent my Birthday on Browning Hill with the ghosts and aliens. In fact, the ghosts and aliens looked just like GrizzyAdams and Mule'ie.

FYI: My first hang with the Grizz and for those of you who have not met GrizzlyAdams, well, just let me say this ... "you are in for a treeeeet". So prepare yo'self.

I should add, MisterMule is also one talented guy who has taught me the fine art of getting OFF the Ground.

CarpeDiem
CamperDaver:cool:

cavediver2
01-10-2009, 10:44
great video and like Shug said love the music I like the way Bill does it but it send cold chills down my spine when Emmylou Harris does it in the Am cord. at least that is how I play it capo 3 fret.

Grizz is that one of those handy dandy camera mounts that shug used and what kinda camera are you using

rigidpsycho
01-10-2009, 10:55
Nice video, now that makes me really want to come to Browning Hill sometime.

Shadowmoss
01-10-2009, 12:36
I also would like to know what kind of camera you guys are using to make these videos. I'm just starting to realize the possibilities out there.

GrizzlyAdams
01-10-2009, 12:46
Shug--glad that tune struck a chord with you. Having mandolin music at the backend was a bit of an accident. I'd decided where to put Mule's ghost story (at night), and he talked about hearing this mandolin music, which seemed a great place to cut, and plunk in some mando tune. "Why not finish the whole thing off with that?" I thought. And it really worked well with the stills of trees in the morning, I didn't see that one coming, but liked it when I saw it. I too am a fan of being in the woods in the winter. Is a tad bit trickier finding dry wood to burn though. If I'd thought about making this video into a comedy I would have taped us trying to get our fire going and keep it going.

In the morning I brewed myself a cupa tea from hammock, per your style. I like that a lot. Here's a trick for bushbuddy owners...the bushbuddy does great double duty as a stand for an alchohol stove. I had my Trangia going, and snuffed it out when I was done just by removing the bushbuddy's pot stand and set the kettle on top. Burns off the O2 in an instant. I would think this would work for any other alcohol burner that isn't otherwise easily snuffed.

Dutch--time you got some glasses man. Ain't no ghost up there. Not sure what Mule saw or heard, or what was shaking Dave's hammock in the wee hours.

dplant a.k.a. Hiking Dave--looking forward to more hiking with you and Mule man.

cavediver2--the opening shots I did with the StickPic. After that the tips of my poles were too wide, being layered with frozen mud! My camera is a Canon G9. First video I've made with it, the others have been with a camcorder. Compared to a camcorder the biggest weakness is the mic, and that I can't zoom in the middle of a shot. The latter one is easy to live with. The former one means lots of music for background in the videos.

Rigidpsycho---c'mon up. Mule will show you the sights!

Come in the summer time and you can dodge the rattlesnakes I just read about in the Nebo Ridge Trail brochure I picked up at the trailhead. Another really strong reason for hanging.

Grizz

Shug
01-10-2009, 14:04
In the morning I brewed myself a cupa tea from hammock, per your style. I like that a lot.
Grizz
That is living right my friend........

pegleg56
01-10-2009, 17:23
Boy Mule, looks like it was a fun trip. Wish I could have been there. BTW, I have the hammock I got from you set up in the basement and I think it's going to work out great. Spent a night in it and have a couple of adjustments to make (just fine tuning really) and I'll be ready to go. Working on a ridgeline for it and trying to find a tarp (anyone got a garage sale or yard sale going .... need a 10 x12 or 10 x 10 tarp .... cheap).
Also have to hear more about that stool Hiker Dave has.

Mule
01-10-2009, 19:48
Boy Mule, looks like it was a fun trip. Wish I could have been there. BTW, I have the hammock I got from you set up in the basement and I think it's going to work out great. Spent a night in it and have a couple of adjustments to make (just fine tuning really) and I'll be ready to go. Working on a ridgeline for it and trying to find a tarp (anyone got a garage sale or yard sale going .... need a 10 x12 or 10 x 10 tarp .... cheap).
Also have to hear more about that stool Hiker Dave has.
Let's save discussion of that stool for a campfire. I hope to hike with you soon and I am glad you like the hammock and stuff. Mule

animalcontrol
01-10-2009, 22:40
great video and great stories...
does it get any better?
sorry I couldn't make it

sbmcghee
01-10-2009, 23:25
Isn't that sad? I've lived here in Indiana all my life (except for my time spent in the Army) and I've never even heard of this place. What other interesting areas do we have?

Mule
01-11-2009, 00:38
Isn't that sad? I've lived here in Indiana all my life (except for my time spent in the Army) and I've never even heard of this place. What other interesting areas do we have?
Hi sbmchee, (how is that pronounced?) We do need to get together for a few Indiana backpack/ hangs. There are many places we go. There is a place on Hayes Branch, on Hayes Creek, then there is Panther Gap, and Panther Creek, Terrell Pond and the old stone house that is NW of it a mile or so. There is of course the Axium and Sycamore branch trails that start and end at the tower of Tower Ridge Road. There is Brown Hollow and Bad Hollow, the Peninsula out on the John Grub Ridge and Patten Cave out there too. There is seldom seen Crescent Valley that sets in the middle of the Sycamore Branch loop, and Miller Ridge from Crooked Creek Lake. Then there is seldom seen Jones Hollow that sets NE of the North side of the Sycamore Branch and Terrell Pond, and many others. The next four of my posts will have some photos of those places, Mule

Mule
01-11-2009, 00:40
Here are some more photos

Mule
01-11-2009, 00:43
And more here too.

d-p
01-11-2009, 07:01
CamperDave's 11 oz stool? MulieMan suggested that be put in the campfire ... (talk)

PS: we are NOT talking clinical here ... I think?

Let it be said, let it be done .................

CD::shades:

HappyCamper
01-11-2009, 08:28
I didn't get a good look at Grizz's pack, but I couldn't believe how small Mule and Dave's packs were for a winter trip. What size packs did you carry and what weight were you carrying?

Mule
01-11-2009, 11:17
Dave had his DIY bamboo pack. Amazing! That is his biggest pack and I am guessing it is about 2000 cu inches. Dave had two Hudson River quilts, a DIY hammock and tarp, two liters of water and food. 21 pounds (est).
Mine is a 40 Liter, 2400 cu in Aarn, but with two 3.5 liter, 213 cu in front pockets, and they were not full, just stuffed with whatever I had small enough to put in. I had an Old Rag Mountain and a No Sniveler quilt with a Blackbird hammock and a Warbonnet SuperFly Shelter, and carries a Slinglight Chair, three liters of water and food, 27 pounds (est).

sbmcghee
01-11-2009, 13:38
Mule,

That would definitely be cool. Being a newbie to this game, I'm sure there is a lot I can learn. From your pics, there is still lots of nice areas around here still left to explore. The only bad thing is I about to lose the time I have for fun. My wife is about to take a job at the hospital that requires her to work 12 hour days all weekend. That would require me to stay home on the weekends watching our 5 yr old boy and 1 yr old girl. Then M-F I'm at work. The sacrifices we all make as parents.....

Mule
01-11-2009, 18:19
Mule,

That would definitely be cool. Being a newbie to this game, I'm sure there is a lot I can learn. From your pics, there is still lots of nice areas around here still left to explore. The only bad thing is I about to lose the time I have for fun. My wife is about to take a job at the hospital that requires her to work 12 hour days all weekend. That would require me to stay home on the weekends watching our 5 yr old boy and 1 yr old girl. Then M-F I'm at work. The sacrifices we all make as parents.....
Sorry about weekends but I can go any day. That shouldn't stop us from a trip every now and then. Mule

pegleg56
01-11-2009, 20:01
Sure Mule, rub it in about your life of liesure while the rest of us are still slaving away. But we are definately going to have to do one of those mid-week trips soon.

headchange4u
01-12-2009, 11:00
Another great video Grizz. I also love a good ghost story. I would like to take my EMF meter up there sometime and do a little ghost hunting :D.

It was also nice to see you guys talking about your setups.

d-p
01-25-2009, 09:45
Browing Hill Ghosts ...

:eek:All,
Let me share my "mock" shaking story wit'ya

I was SOUND asleep and was awakened by a "violent shaking" at the foot end, open end of my tarp, sometime in the middle of the nite. Trust me it was a violent shaking that awakened me. I did my best to focus at the foot end of my setup in the 15* temperature, but I couldn't see anything.
OR
hear anything.

Trust me, this "mock" shaking was as real as my now sharing this story.

GHOSTS? Can't really say, but I will share this ...
EVERYTIME I've spent the nite on Indiana's stonehenge, (BrowningHill), something out of the ordinary has happened.

Next trip there, I'll be anticipating something even greater happening because, with each trip there, the unexplained scenerios have increased in intensity.

Hey, who wants to "hang on the hill"?
dplant :cool:

Shug
01-25-2009, 11:04
Man .... I would love to camp up there just to hear that ghostly mandolin music.

Jerry
08-10-2010, 15:42
Would love to hang at browning hill...I live only about 30 min. from it.

I have another place in the Deam that is truly haunted....seen stange things...heard strange things.....

\Let's go......

Jerry the Hiker

Mule
08-10-2010, 15:52
we need to hear all about it. maybe we can do a trip together this fall. mule

RePete
08-10-2010, 21:41
Im hoping we do the spring HH here again. Loved it. Only reverse order. BH first then BH second night. That way you can tote your water up the hill the first day and refill from that great creek at BH the second day. Would love to go later in the fall or even winter with you Mule.

bonsaihiker
08-11-2010, 07:31
I'd love to do another Spring hang in the area. Either there or the other haunted place, or anywhere nice. Can you tell I'm really picky? :lol:

I just want to get back together with the terrific people I met in April, where we go is secondary.

P.S. I camped on Browning Hill a few weeks ago with a friend...video "evidence" to come soon...Bwah-hahahahaha.

Mule
08-11-2010, 15:14
That's great. Hope to see you soon, Steve

Mule
08-06-2013, 19:05
Please check our your faces on my Flickr home page, I put hundreds of our photos in there from hangs many of us have been to,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mule47/9453987632/in/photostream/