PDA

View Full Version : What hammock(s) are you bringing to Mt. Rogers?

fin
01-10-2009, 18:21
I was just looking down the list of people coming to this hang, and it spurred this question in my brain. Most of you, it appears, favor DIY hammocks. And of the DIY hammocks, most appear to be bridges. So, in the interest of science (and just to see if I'm wrong about this,) I thought I would throw this out so I can get an idea of what we will see when we get to Mt. Rogers.

(Also, purely out of self-interest, I was wondering if I could leave a hammock or two behind and lighten my load because someone will already have a similar model at the hang.)

I had made it my intention to bring a Clark NA, a JRB Bridge and my Warbonnet BlackBird. I was planning on bringing extra gear in the case that a ground dweller was going to want to give a hammock a try.

Mrprez
01-10-2009, 18:49
Hennessy UL Explorer with #2 zipper mod and SS.

Mule
01-10-2009, 19:57
I plan to be wearing all my Warbonnet stuff and also to bring a DIY Bridge. Mule

Hooch
01-10-2009, 22:40
My go-to hammok, the ENO DoubleNest, with all my Speer goodies to go with it. :D

GrizzlyAdams
01-11-2009, 00:10
Planning on bringing my narrow foot DIY bridge, and my dual-mode bridge hammocks.

Grizz

Darby
01-11-2009, 00:10
I will be bringing my modified Claytor clone. I am in the process of making another one with more mods. If I like the end result I will be using that. I am also making a 1.9 tarp & plan on using it also.

Doctari
01-11-2009, 00:14
1 homemade gathered end & 2 commercial gathered end.
Possibly a 2nd homemade gathered end, depends on how ambitious I get tween now & then.

fin
01-11-2009, 08:00
I apologize that the polls are limited and don't allow you to vote on one style more than once (enter a total #.) I was trying to figure a way around that, but figured this would work OK and wasn't going to spend a lot of time with it.

So far, things look pretty even. Plenty of people out there who say they are coming that haven't chimed in yet, though.

Just Jeff
01-11-2009, 15:18
I'm outfitting 4 of us. Haven't firmly decided yet, but probably 2 HHs, an El Dorado, and my down hammock. Maybe another DIY just to have an extra. Might substitute the other El Dorado for one of the HHs.

headchange4u
01-12-2009, 11:03
I will be bringing my warbonnet BB. Choosing the hammock was easy, but I'm going back and forth on what insulation I want to use. I would like to bring my Snugfit, but the more that I think about it, I am leaning toward my Onyx quilt (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3231) as bottom insulation and my WM Apache sleeping bag used as a top quilt. I will also bring my Gossamer Gear Thinlight, just in case.

NCPatrick
01-12-2009, 12:23
Bringing my DIY gathered end hammock, DIY down underquilt (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3008), underquilt-as-topquilt (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=74880#post74880) made by mikeinflaz, JRB Stealth quilt, JRB down sleeves.

Debating between my JRB Hammock Hut tarp and my custom tarp made by Brian at OES, configured into Winter Tarp mode. I may bring both.

I'm making a hammock sock type thing as soon as my material gets in, some large snakeskins for the new tarp, and maybe a down hat if I can get the down in time (temp. budget constraint).

slowhike
01-12-2009, 14:56
Would you call the hammock Ed Speer sleeps in a DIY or a commercial???:confused::lol:

stormcrow
01-12-2009, 17:55
Thorweren and I are bringing the following:
Sleeping Gear
1 eno single nest
1 DIY gathered end hammock
1 HH ultralight explorer (zipper mod)
1 Speer snugfit (Talk about an unexpected Christmas Gift from Jen!)
1 DIY Fishinfinn underquilt (Thanks buddy)
1 DIY Fishinfinn Hammock Sock (I WILL be making one of these)
1 SPE (Thank you Cannibal)
1 HH hex tarp
1 8x10 equinox tarp
1 montbell super stretch hugger #3
2 DIY top quilts (if I can get them finished!)

That is all I can think of in the way of winter gear for the trip. I am going to have much in the way of clothes since it will be a challenge to keep thorwren warm. I am sure I left out a few things. We are bringing some really good stew to share (not sure if we will have 30-40 servings but we will try to back as much as we can to the shelter. At this point I need to get a hold of a NON lightweight backpack. The little Jam2 isnt going to cut it for me on this one (I will fill it up for the wife to carry).

I am much excited to meet you all and have some good winter camping.

Adam

fin
01-12-2009, 21:14
Would you call the hammock Ed Speer sleeps in a DIY or a commercial???:confused::lol:

Now that's a question! Same thing for Brandon, or Pan! :confused::lol:

Ashman
01-13-2009, 10:07
When is this hang?

angrysparrow
01-13-2009, 10:09
When is this hang?

See this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6020).

NCPatrick
01-13-2009, 10:11
When is this hang?

Ashman, if you can make it, you can carpool with Hooch and me if you want. Leaving Friday mid-morning and getting back Sunday early afternoon.

Ashman
01-13-2009, 10:44
Can't do it this weekend, next weekend is a possibility, shot in the dark. Have a great hang!

NCPatrick
01-13-2009, 10:51
Can't do it this weekend, next weekend is a possibility, shot in the dark. Have a great hang!

The Mt. Rogers Hangout is the next weekend, Jan 23, 24, 25th. Did you mean you couldn't go then?

Ashman
01-13-2009, 11:56
NO! I thought you guys were going this week. That has possiblities. Let me get back to you!

WrongTurn
01-14-2009, 11:36
ENO single nest
MacCat Deluxe
Eno Dryfly just to hangout under
WM Summerlite
Slumberjack Extemelite 20degree bag trying to fashion it into an underquilt if possible.

HappyCamper
01-14-2009, 11:54
ENO single nest
MacCat Deluxe
Eno Dryfly just to hangout under
WM Summerlite
Slumberjack Extemelite 20degree bag trying to fashion it into an underquilt if possible.

Don't forget a pad, just in case.

WrongTurn
01-14-2009, 12:05
Would a prolite 3 work?

HappyCamper
01-14-2009, 13:57
I can't comment on the prolite 3 in a hammock. My first hammock pad for winter was the wider ccf egg crate pad from Walmart which was about $12 - $14 bucks.

NotToWorry
01-14-2009, 20:05
Speer Hammock & PeaPod, of course

fin
01-14-2009, 22:10
Speer Hammock & PeaPod, of course

We wouldn't expect any less! Good to have you coming, Ed! Can't wait to meet you.

fin
01-14-2009, 22:11
Don't forget a pad, just in case.

Why the pad? Don't think there will be enough trees? :rolleyes::laugh: Or extra insulation for small weight penalty, JIC?

2Questions
01-14-2009, 22:34
OK...I've been lurking around this thread long enough. I'm aching to see and hike the Mt Rogers area and meet so many of you that have contributed to my hanging obsession. So, I think I'm going to try and make the run down from PA. I'm going to be driving my little Hyundai Accent. Great on gas and very reliable but what about pushing through possible snow at Mt Rogers? Don't want to get stuck or worse!! I'm taking off work Friday and figuring an 8 hour drive should put me be in the area by mid afternoon. How about a carpool rendevous at the entrance of MR anyone? Is this a good idea? Or not needed? Let me know. Thanks. And No, you won't see ZQ outside anytime it's below 75 deg! LOL

fin
01-14-2009, 23:31
How about a carpool rendevous at the entrance of MR anyone? Is this a good idea? Or not needed? Let me know. Thanks. And No, you won't see ZQ outside anytime it's below 75 deg! LOL

You know, this brings up a good point. If someone needs a hitch up the Mountain due to weather, or runs into problems with vehicles/directions, is there someone/someplace that they could contact for info? I have Grizz's # in case of emergency, but what about others? Should we get a PM list going for contact info/alternate coordinates/emergency-help? Hopefully the weather cooperates and the path up the Mt. is clear, but stuff could happen where a rental car doesn't make it to the parking area. Anyone want to volunteer contact info by PM for such an event? I will post this in the Mt. Rogers Hangout thread as well.

Doctari
01-15-2009, 11:38
OK, based on this, I now have / am bringing: a (full) spare set up. So we can corrupt yet another if someone brings a tent :D :jj:

Thorweren and I are bringing the following:
Sleeping Gear
1 eno single nest
1 DIY gathered end hammock
1 HH ultralight explorer (zipper mod)
1 Speer snugfit (Talk about an unexpected Christmas Gift from Jen!)
1 DIY Fishinfinn underquilt (Thanks buddy)
1 DIY Fishinfinn Hammock Sock (I WILL be making one of these)
1 SPE (Thank you Cannibal)
1 HH hex tarp
1 8x10 equinox tarp
1 montbell super stretch hugger #3
2 DIY top quilts (if I can get them finished!)

Adam

HappyCamper
01-15-2009, 11:41
Why the pad? Don't think there will be enough trees? :rolleyes::laugh: Or extra insulation for small weight penalty, JIC?

Yes. . . . :D . . . . .

Extra insulation of course!