PDA

View Full Version : Overcover

TonyF
01-11-2009, 16:59
Not knowing the exact design of the overcover, can you use the overcover without the rest of the SS to give some added warmth if needed? Does it drape or lay close to the hammock sides or would it flap in the breeze ie" is there any way of attaching it to the sides?
Tony

Take-a-knee
01-11-2009, 19:47
Not knowing the exact design of the overcover, can you use the overcover without the rest of the SS to give some added warmth if needed? Does it drape or lay close to the hammock sides or would it flap in the breeze ie" is there any way of attaching it to the sides?
Tony

The Hennessy Overcover has a short sleeve that fits over each end of the hammock. The sides have slits that you thread the side pullouts through, that is what keeps it in place. I just got mine so I can't comment on how it performs but several here say it works great and adds warmth, one poster said it boosted the inside temp 10 degrees.

HappyCamper
01-12-2009, 10:45
Do you need the undercover to keep the overcover in place?

Cannibal
01-12-2009, 10:57
No you don't need the undercover to use the overcover. You won't get a complete 'seal', but it will certainly block some wind and trap some heat. If you wanted to establish a seal you could always lay down some omni tape or velcro, but I'm too much of a weight weenie for that. :rolleyes:

HappyCamper
01-12-2009, 12:50
Thanks Cannibal. That's just what I wanted to know.

kwpapke
01-14-2009, 12:19
No you don't need the undercover to use the overcover. You won't get a complete 'seal', but it will certainly block some wind and trap some heat. If you wanted to establish a seal you could always lay down some omni tape or velcro, but I'm too much of a weight weenie for that. :rolleyes:
This is correct. When used together, I commonly have a 2 inch or so slit opening between the OC and the UC right near my head.

The UC comes up over the bugnet about 4 inches in most areas. Without the UC, you'll have a larger slit, but it'll still do the job. Where the side elastics thread through the OC you'll have a good seal.

My measurements have shown about a +10F air temp benefit from the OC. I believe the effect is even greater in windy conditions. Not that the temperature differential will be greater, in fact it'll probably be less, but the wind really robs the heat from you (convective cooling).

--Kurt

BillyBob58
01-14-2009, 12:57
kwpapke,
Looking forward to your report on your trip with Shug using your SS! That has got to be interesting!

TonyF
01-15-2009, 23:05
Thanks for the explanation on the over cover.
Tony

Ramblinrev
01-19-2009, 22:31
The wonderful [/sarcasm] stock HH tarp is not a winter design by any stretch I would assume. But... big but... could it be put to use as an overcover? It's the right shape. But what about the treatment on it? Would that cause condensation problems? I am not going to try it tonight as it is after dark and I am testing things I know for the weekend.

Take-a-knee
01-19-2009, 22:38
The wonderful [/sarcasm] stock HH tarp is not a winter design by any stretch I would assume. But... big but... could it be put to use as an overcover? It's the right shape. But what about the treatment on it? Would that cause condensation problems? I am not going to try it tonight as it is after dark and I am testing things I know for the weekend.

I don't think silnylon would work for that purpose.

Ashman
01-20-2009, 07:15
Saw this on another thread

http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf