PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial MI Spring Hike & Hang>MRT/NCT>3/8/13

Boudah
01-22-2013, 17:18
Unofficial MI Spring Hike & Hang>MRT/NCT>3/8/13

Manistee River Trail / NCT Loop- March 8th - Long weekend.

Friday Start - AM - Hike 9 miles from Upper River to Eddington Creek. (NCT side)

Saturday - 8 miles from Edd. Creek to stealth spot on the river south of Cottage Rd.

Sunday - Hike out a few miles.

It's like 20-21 miles total.

As much as I enjoy the car camp events; I feel like I gotta stretch my legs on this next one!:D

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/rivertrail-1_zps1dd9bede.jpg

Boudah
01-22-2013, 20:39
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/209833_730320999101_239902_o_zpse600a8f8.jpg

Kerrkid
01-23-2013, 13:25
Hey Boudah, My ETA will be around 9 or 10 am friday morning you dont have to wait for me if you want to get an earlier start i can meet you at Eddington Creek. This will be may first hike of the 2013 season looking forward to getting out and spending some time in the woods....

OneClick
01-23-2013, 13:39
I would love to join you guys on this one, but unfortunately I'm out of vacation time :( I did this loop for the first time last May and was easily one of my favorite trips!

Stone
01-23-2013, 15:23
I'll figure a way to be there at some point of the day. I can firm this up after I get back from the McCormick Wilderness with Lerms, SR and Shogun.

Vulture
01-23-2013, 20:34
I hope to join this, but need to make sure I don't have any schedule conflict first.

Boudah
01-24-2013, 08:53
Hey Boudah, My ETA will be around 9 or 10 am friday morning

That's probably about when I'll get there too.

vampiresmiley
01-24-2013, 08:56
I will be there. What time time do you anticipate getting started on Friday morning?

Michael

Boudah
01-24-2013, 09:25
Id like to hit the trail as soon as possible, I'm gonna shoot for 10am but would be happy with anytime before noon! Lol

OneClick
01-24-2013, 10:57
I'll keep an eye on this. I think the best I could do is start from the Marilla trail head around 9:45PM and meet up in camp late. This would leave more hiking Sunday than I wish to do on top of the drive home, but doable.

Stone
01-24-2013, 11:26
Id like to hit the trail as soon as possible, I'm gonna shoot for 10am but would be happy with anytime before noon! Lol

I may just have to take the whole day off.......

Vulture
01-24-2013, 20:12
I'm out, unfortunately, unless the event date changes. Should be a great early Spring trip. It should be noted, however, that March is often when we now get significant contrasts in weather including a foot or three of snow!

michigandave
01-24-2013, 20:18
Wish I could make this one, but work and family committments are keeping me close to home. The pines at Eddington Creek are one of my favorite spots on the NCT...and I really wanted to see the stealth spot I heard about at the last hang. Hoping to get up there in April.

Stone
01-25-2013, 07:02
Wish I could make this one, but work and family committments are keeping me close to home. The pines at Eddington Creek are one of my favorite spots on the NCT...and I really wanted to see the stealth spot I heard about at the last hang. Hoping to get up there in April.

M7rXTYn4pkw

Here you go.....

Kerrkid
01-25-2013, 08:04
M7rXTYn4pkw

Here you go.....

LOL you big teaser!!!!:laugh:

michigandave
01-25-2013, 09:13
Now I've got to get up there and find it. How about a couple more clues?

Boudah
01-25-2013, 09:49
Dammit, I can't wait to get out and hike! I think i may even bring the puppy along for her first backpacking trip!

Kerrkid
01-25-2013, 12:01
Dammit, I can't wait to get out and hike! I think i may even bring the puppy along for her first backpacking trip!

I feel the same way the last time i was out was the fall hang.. I am over do for some hiking... What kind of puppy and how old? I have a 4 month old Golden Retriever Husky mix she is all husky except the eyes.... I can't wait to get her out on the trail hiking but i think it's to soon I may wait till fall before bringing her out.... I want to start by taking her on day hikes before i do any over night's.....Plus i need to still get her gear yet.

OneClick
01-25-2013, 12:38
I feel the same way the last time i was out was the fall hang.. I am over do for some hiking... What kind of puppy and how old? I have a 4 month old Golden Retriever Husky mix she is all husky except the eyes.... I can't wait to get her out on the trail hiking but i think it's to soon I may wait till fall before bringing her out.... I want to start by taking her on day hikes before i do any over night's.....Plus i need to still get her gear yet.

Don't want to get off topic but that sounds like a good looking dog! Could you post a pic?

Boudah
01-25-2013, 12:40

She is a 5 month old purebred Australian Shepherd. (pic taken about a month ago) She hikes with me for at least 2 miles almost daily at Saugatuck dunes state park (live 5min away) very good trail manners off the leash. I've been taking her there since she was 9wks old.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/DSCN7365_zps94f65ed1.jpg

Kerrkid
01-25-2013, 13:25
Don't want to get off topic but that sounds like a good looking dog! Could you post a pic?

The golden Retriever husky mix is really called the Goberian breed.. Great dog's the train love's being outside in the cold and love's people.
maggie 017.jpg

Kerrkid
01-25-2013, 13:28
She is a 5 month old purebred Australian Shepherd. (pic taken about a month ago) She hikes with me for at least 2 miles almost daily at Saugatuck dunes state park (live 5min away) very good trail manners off the leash. I've been taking her there since she was 9wks old.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/DSCN7365_zps94f65ed1.jpg

Cute puppy looks like she has some big paws on her!!

Stone
01-25-2013, 14:16
Yeah, that is going to be a huge dog!!!!

Boudah
01-26-2013, 12:48
Back on topic... I'm pumped to get out there and cover some miles, the last real backpacking trip i went on was Isle Royale May 2012. Everything this last summer/fall was just tooling around at Nordhouse.

Kerrkid
01-26-2013, 17:23
Olympic National Park was my last real hike back in september 2012 after that it was the fall hang. So i am over do for a backpacking weekend with some added miles. :D

Stone
01-27-2013, 08:24
Totaly agree with you both about needing some trail miles.....

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

easy_grounder
01-27-2013, 13:38
Count me in. Ill ride up there with Kerr

Stone
01-27-2013, 14:31
Of course the "Manistee Creeper" has to be there!

youbet
01-29-2013, 08:32
I really hope to go, work my be picking up for me then. It would be my first loop in michigan.

Kerrkid
01-29-2013, 10:16
I really hope to go, work my be picking up for me then. It would be my first loop in michigan.

You will enjoy that hike Eddington creek is a really nice spot to camp tons of tree's and water is down the hill just remember to look up before setting up. Sat camp site is nice to LOL, over all this loop is really fun to hike hope you can make it...

OneClick
01-29-2013, 10:43
I'm out of vacation but I may be able to swing a 1/2 day Friday.

If I hike in from the Marilla trail head would anyone be willing to drive me back to the car Sunday? I don't want to do 12+ miles then drive home all on Sunday.

I'd hate to miss the NCT side but that's just how it is.

Kerrkid
01-29-2013, 12:30
I'm out of vacation but I may be able to swing a 1/2 day Friday.

If I hike in from the Marilla trail head would anyone be willing to drive me back to the car Sunday? I don't want to do 12+ miles then drive home all on Sunday.

I'd hate to miss the NCT side but that's just how it is.

I can give u a ride back to your car.

OneClick
01-29-2013, 13:59
I can give u a ride back to your car.

Thanks! Who knows, maybe I will be able to get the whole day off but need to get out either way!

Boudah
02-04-2013, 10:26
TTT, I'll make a guest list after work today. :)

grimtongue
02-04-2013, 12:22
I may just have to make some time for this trip. I don't have a whole lot of cold weather gear though. Might just be the excuse I am looking for to acquire some though!

Boudah
02-05-2013, 04:57
With the weather acting as goofy as it has been in Michigan. (0-60-0 in one week flat) It could be 10 and snow, or 55 and sun????

vampiresmiley
02-07-2013, 14:05
Looks like if I head north after dropping the kids off at school, I could be there around 10:15 - 10:30 on Friday. I'm going to try to sneak in a solo weekend trip to Hoist lakes near the end of this month, but am definitely looking forward to meeting up with a few others for this trip.

cjayflo
02-12-2013, 02:25
I will be going on my first outing in a long long time April 27th. We are looking at the NCT side and just doing a point A to point B hike with an overnighter. Any tips or advice for that part of the hike?

Stone
02-12-2013, 07:15
I will be going on my first outing in a long long time April 27th. We are looking at the NCT side and just doing a point A to point B hike with an overnighter. Any tips or advice for that part of the hike?

The NCT side really dosent have much scenery, the MRT side is much better. And there really arent too many good spots (with water available) on the NCT side to camp as well, aside from the northern termius. You can still point to point on the MRT side. Start at either Red Bridge, Seaton Creek or the Marilla trailheads, there are a lot of nice campsites along the MRT side, not to mention some great outlaw (stealth) sites.

But if you do decide on the NCT side, take lots of water you will be in a dry camp most likely. There are a few steep climbs, and a lot of ups and downs the the draws and hollers. There is a decent site at Red Hill that is a few miles from Red Bridge. I would recomed starting at the Marilla trailhead if you decide to head there.

OneClick
02-12-2013, 09:06

I did the NCT/MRT loop last May and enjoyed almost every part, including the NCT side. I started at the Marilla TH working my way south. Stonehooligan is right about less scenery on the NCT side but I would say it's just lacking a view of the river. There are some high parts where you can see it before the leaves come out. Other than that I found plenty of nice piney areas to camp, so many I couldn't decide, as usual!

Personally I would pass on any of the "camp sites" you'll see on maps/brochures if you do the MRT side. They are the usual trampled down, dirty, trash laden spots where people can't respect minimizing their impact. You can camp anywhere as long as it's 200' from the water. You can't beat getting a nice pristine spot hidden in the pines away from the trail and all the action!

cjayflo
02-12-2013, 13:26
Thank you both for the replies! The main and pretty much only reason we were thinking the NCT side is the possibility of the low side being swamped out. I will be the only hanger and it will be my first true hang. I know we are getting some good snow now, but do you guys think it will be too mucky the end of April? Thanks again so much! This is exactly the good info I was looking for! :D

Boudah
02-12-2013, 13:32
Thank you both for the replies! The main and pretty much only reason we were thinking the NCT side is the possibility of the low side being swamped out. I will be the only hanger and it will be my first true hang. I know we are getting some good snow now, but do you guys think it will be too mucky the end of April? Thanks again so much! This is exactly the good info I was looking for! :D

The MRT side isn't low land... you hike up along the edge of the valley for the most part. Near Red Bridge it drops to river level, but i think you'd be fine hiking either side.

Stone
02-12-2013, 13:33

Tough to say about the trail conditions. The MRT side is mostly above the river and not subject to too many of it's effects. But that dosent mean it cant get mucky. I have seen it dry as a bone, and a soupy mess all within the span of a few months. We will be up there at the begining of March (as this thread indicates) and I plan for a wetter than normal experience. But, with the weather this year who knows. Might need my swimsuit. Keep your eyes open for a trip report from the March trip, might have some idea of the trail conditions for your April trip, but that could change too.

michigandave
02-13-2013, 11:40
I was up there April 15-16, 2012. T-shirt & fleece weather and very dry on the NCT side. MRT was good to, with some mushy spots closer to the river, but it wasn't too bad at all. The prior year I was there around the same time of year and it snowed 2" and got into the 20's. Can never tell with Michigan weather.

Wish I could make it to the unofficial MI spring hang, but work & family commitments are keeping me close to home. The official spring hang seems to have fizzled out, so hope to make it to the Summer one.

Stone
02-13-2013, 11:56
The official spring hang seems to have fizzled out, so hope to make it to the Summer one.

Oh, I just think people are taking a little break. It will get up and going again once the weather turns more towards hiking season.

Kerrkid
02-13-2013, 11:57
Wish I could make it to the unofficial MI spring hang, but work & family commitments are keeping me close to home. The official spring hang seems to have fizzled out, so hope to make it to the Summer one.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the spring hang will still happen but i think it wont take place till April or May at least that's what i think anyway.....

easy_grounder
02-13-2013, 15:36
So what's our current headcount for March 8th?

I am in.

Boudah
02-14-2013, 10:00
Boudah
Stone
EZ
Vampire
Markr6
Tim (idk what your HF name is)
Brian (same^)
Maybe Mr. Pink.

Who am i missing?

Stone
02-15-2013, 07:34
Boudah
Stone
EZ
Vampire
Markr6
Tim (idk what your HF name is)
Brian (same^)
Maybe Mr. Pink.

Who am i missing?

Tim is Lakesuperior777
Kerrkid

easy_grounder
02-18-2013, 17:53
Looking forward to this trip. We still planning the whole loop?

ambrosia
02-20-2013, 01:32
Dang it I am going to miss this! Should of moved up the first of March not end of March oh well there will be others I hope! Have fun and take lots of pics!

Boudah
02-20-2013, 10:04
Looking forward to this trip. We still planning the whole loop?

You bet. I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing the pooch too, for her first overnight.

Kerrkid
02-21-2013, 15:59
I was thinking about bringing maggie on this one but I think she will sit this one out, I dont want her to keep anyone up at night being her first overnight. (Maybe will see)

How much snow is in the area not that it matters just wondering?

vampiresmiley
02-21-2013, 22:37
How much snow is in the area not that it matters just wondering?

I haven't been west of Cadillac in the last couple of weeks, but the snow reports I've seen still show 12-18 of snow in the area. With temps forcast to stay around freezing, and the chance of a little more snow over the next couple weeks, it's looking like there may still be some around for the "spring" hike.

Michael

grimtongue
02-24-2013, 22:51
Count me in. Plus one, a newb to hanging. Trying to get his gear together right now. Looking forward to it!

Stone
02-25-2013, 08:08
I haven't been west of Cadillac in the last couple of weeks, but the snow reports I've seen still show 12-18 of snow in the area. With temps forcast to stay around freezing, and the chance of a little more snow over the next couple weeks, it's looking like there may still be some around for the "spring" hike.

Michael

Best person to ask is wildcrafter, he lives on the Mean Street of Irons. Which is the closest memeber.

grimtongue
02-25-2013, 10:26
By the way, we will only be able to do Sat. and Sun. Where is the camp for Saturday night? I'm pretty familiar with this loop, I usually hike it seven or eight times a season but I have no idea where this "secret" site is that you all keep talking about.

bloomgorge
02-25-2013, 13:51
By the way, we will only be able to do Sat. and Sun. Where is the camp for Saturday night? I'm pretty familiar with this loop, I usually hike it seven or eight times a season but I have no idea where this "secret" site is that you all keep talking about.

Wouldn't be a secret if we told you now would it. By boudahs post its appears south of sleagle creek so I'm sure someone well leave a market on the trail. Normally its the lets hf in the ground or sticks and an arrow

Stone
02-25-2013, 13:55

This is the "secret" site, you might be able to reconigze the location. It is north of Slagel Creek.
M7rXTYn4pkw

grimtongue
02-25-2013, 15:52
One says north, one says south..... Looks sorta familiar, I'm sure I can find it. Only thing is that it's kinda hard to stop in the middle of the MRT when one is planning to do the whole loop in one night. (two days)

Stone
02-25-2013, 18:29
One says north, one says south..... Looks sorta familiar, I'm sure I can find it. Only thing is that it's kinda hard to stop in the middle of the MRT when one is planning to do the whole loop in one night. (two days)

Thats how we keep it a secret. LOL! I"m not sure of the total plan, but if that is out destinaion, I'll make sure you can find it.

Boudah
02-27-2013, 10:44
It's kind of a "you know it when you see it" spot. To be honest I've really got zero clue of where it is in relationship to creeks and trail, but I've stayed there every time I do the full loop.

Also i should note there is no water at the trail head so make sure you're full-up when you arrive (red bridge has a pump iirc)

OneClick
02-27-2013, 12:40
NO!! Again, I'll have to cancel this trip since I'll be in Detroit that weekend. One of these days I'll break the curse of not being able to meet any fellow HG friends. I promise!

Stone
02-27-2013, 12:45
Well, we got aobut 6" of heavy wet snow in Ludington last night.

Boudah
02-28-2013, 12:07
That **** groundhog was right...

Kerrkid
03-03-2013, 13:28
Weather is looking good for next weekend low 40s durning the day mid to low 20s at night 50% chance of snow on sat I'll take it.. I know this forcast will change, Looking forward to getting out next weekend and putting some miles behind me... But most of all just looking forward to chilling out around camp having some dinner and sipping on some SCOTCH around the fire the ring of fire!!!!! :lol:

Maggie will be sitting this one out I think i will take her on a solo first to see how she does sleeping outside under my tarp I would hate for her to keep anyone up at night..

Stone
03-04-2013, 09:44
I got the home appoval, now just need the work one.....

Boudah
03-05-2013, 12:50
This is turning out to be the longest 4 day work week I've ever worked

cjayflo
03-05-2013, 14:29
Is it spring? I was skiing at Boyne on Sunday and man it was cold! Went for a run at noon today, same thing! Have fun this weekend.

grimtongue
03-05-2013, 14:40
First hike off the year! Can't wait!

Stone
03-06-2013, 06:45
Just as a note there is anywhere from 16" to 24" of snow on the ground....
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=Latitude%2CLongitude%3B+City%2CST%3B+or+Statio n+ID&var=snow_depth_shallow&dy=2013&dm=3&dd=4&dh=6&snap=1&o3=1&o6=1&o11=1&o9=1&o13=1&lbl=m&mode=pan&extents=us&min_x=-86.291666666668&min_y=43.908333333334&max_x=-85.350000000002&max_y=44.616666666667&coord_x=-85.820833333335&coord_y=44.2625000000005&zbox_n=&zbox_s=&zbox_e=&zbox_w=&metric=0&bgvar=dem&width=600&height=450&nw=600&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0&zoom8.x=5&zoom8.y=8

vampiresmiley
03-06-2013, 09:59
I'm anxiously awaiting Friday-- got a lot of work to do at the office, but I am not missing this trip. I've been keeping a close eye on the weather forecast and hoping for the best.

Still got to repack all my gear from my last two weekends (trip report (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69214)) and swap out for some lighter equipment, but should be able to do that tonight so I'm ready to go.

Michael

Bosman
03-06-2013, 10:07
OMg! I live in Holland. If I had known before today I'd part Warner's to be there! :(

sr1355
03-06-2013, 10:41
As much as I'd like to make this early spring hike I will be busy working in the shop.... You guys have a BLAST!!!!

Boudah
03-06-2013, 10:58
I suppose that's a legitimate excuse... :)

Boudah
03-06-2013, 11:01
OMg! I live in Holland. If I had known before today I'd part Warner's to be there! :(

I live in Holland too. South side, near Laketown. Small world! If you can pull it off you're welcome to catch a ride with me.

Stone
03-06-2013, 11:47
As much as I'd like to make this early spring hike I will be busy working in the shop.... You guys have a BLAST!!!!

Still got that pulk? LOL!

Bummer that you cant make it.

Boudah
03-06-2013, 20:23
Remember: No water at the Upper River Trail Head - So arrive with full bladders and bottles!

easy_grounder
03-07-2013, 09:08
May have to rush out on soggy Sunday though....

Fri
Mar 8
40°
24°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%
WIND:
SSE at 7 mph

Sat
Mar 9
42°
36°
Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%
WIND:
SSE at 12 mph

Sun
Mar 10
40°
29°
Showers
CHANCE OF RAIN:
60%
WIND:
NNW at 11 mph

Boudah
03-07-2013, 10:01
It'll be like a 2-3 mile hike out on Sunday. We could easily make it back to the cars quickly if needed.

sr1355
03-07-2013, 10:08
Still got that pulk? LOL!

Bummer that you cant make it.

What PULK... I was trying to block that memory out...:lol:

Bosman
03-07-2013, 12:02
I live in Holland too. South side, near Laketown. Small world! If you can pull it off you're welcome to catch a ride with me.

Boudah, I appreciate that. It's good to know I have fellow hangers in my neck of the woods per say. :)
I have dinner with friends fri night and sat I have a date. It's a first date and I think it's kinda bad I'd rather do the hang lol. I can't bring myself to reschedule the date or to explain why lol. If something happens where this opens up I'd like to go. I would be able to leave until late Friday if I did. Ill have to confirm the date today so I can plan or not plan it.
When are you heading out Boudah?

Bosman
03-07-2013, 12:05
Oh I see you are leaving around 9/10am Friday nevermind Boudah.

Bosman
03-07-2013, 12:13
Maybe I can hike with you guys Friday and return home fri eve to hang out with my friends for dinner... That may be an option. Logistics for that could be tricky however.

Stone
03-07-2013, 12:33
What PULK... I was trying to block that memory out...:lol:

Sorry, that is right, we are not supposed to speak of that again. :lol:

Boudah
03-07-2013, 16:55
Bosman, Sorry about the delay, i just got your PM too.

I'm leaving in about an hour, I made plans to meet Stone in Ludington tonight and crash on his couch; we're heading to the trail head in the AM from there.

IDK if we can work this out easily since most are doing the loop or the second half, not just the NCT section on Friday.

grimtongue
03-07-2013, 17:01
Any word on where you guys are camping Sat. night? I'm thinking about just parking at Seaton Creek trailhead to meet up with everybody Sat. night and then hike back to the car Sun morning.

Lerms
03-07-2013, 17:11
Sorry, that is right, we are not supposed to speak of that again. :lol:

Can't talk about the pulk for several more months. Need to start thinking pack. Ha.

vampiresmiley
03-07-2013, 20:47
I'm just about packed, and will be heading up after I drop the kids at school in the morning. I should be at the trail head by 10:30.

Michael

Stone
03-07-2013, 22:12
Any word on where you guys are camping Sat. night? I'm thinking about just parking at Seaton Creek trailhead to meet up with everybody Sat. night and then hike back to the car Sun morning.

Ok, that is doable. We will be camped around Eddington Creek Friday night, if you are there in the morning, meet us that Little Mac Bridge. IF your getting there later, let me know and I'll PM you.

vampiresmiley
03-08-2013, 09:06
I'm just about packed, and will be heading up after I drop the kids at school in the morning. I should be at the trail head by 10:30.

Michael

Had to stop at office this morning, will be there at 11:15.

Michael

bloomgorge
03-10-2013, 17:28
how was the trip? i heard someone got their boots pee'd on and had to call for a ride home.

vampiresmiley
03-10-2013, 18:51
For those of us that didn't bail over little water in our shoes, it was a great trip. I'm sure someone will start a trip report thread soon, maybe even featuring a cameo of the short hiker. :D

http://ourlittlepickle.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/234873.jpg?w=500

Boudah
03-10-2013, 19:25
how was the trip? i heard someone got their boots pee'd on and had to call for a ride home.

It was no walk in the park; per the GPS it was 23 miles total all said and done... and it was hard @$$ work. My boots were soaked for basically 19-20 of them. Frozen solid as a rock Saturday morning. I slid down a 30-40 foot ice coated ridge within a mile of getting out of the trail today too (wasn't the only one to fall here, ha).

Overall an awesome time.

I'll add some pics and/or a trip report later, I'm too tired to even go through them right now! lol

Kerrkid
03-10-2013, 22:52
[QUOTE=Boudah;960121]It was no walk in the park; per the GPS it was 23 miles total all said and done... and it was hard @$$ work. My boots were soaked for basically 19-20 of them. Frozen solid as a rock Saturday morning. I slid down a 30-40 foot ice coated ridge within a mile of getting out of the trail today too (wasn't the only one to fall here, ha).

Overall an awesome time.

I made it pass that ridge but craig was not so lucky... luckily no one was hurt and or rolled off the ridge to the bottom.. :eek:

vampiresmiley
03-11-2013, 06:34
It was no walk in the park; per the GPS it was 23 miles total all said and done... and it was hard @$$ work. My boots were soaked for basically 19-20 of them. Frozen solid as a rock Saturday morning. I slid down a 30-40 foot ice coated ridge within a mile of getting out of the trail today too (wasn't the only one to fall here, ha).

Overall an awesome time.

I'll add some pics and/or a trip report later, I'm too tired to even go through them right now! lol

That last ridge was scary, I was lucky to catch that tree on my way down. :eek: My boots are still soaked this morning -- I think it's going to take at least a couple of days for the leather to dry. I feel surprisingly good this morning, considering how loudly my body was yelling at me by the end of the trip.

Michael

Bosman
03-11-2013, 10:19
Hey guys other than frozen wet boots hopefully you had a good time hiking and around the fire.
What do you think would help the frozen boot issue? I was thinking of like the way you warm the hammock with a water bottle maybe do that with the boots. I have done it but I used 2 small 16oz nalgene's one for each boot and it seemed to work. The only thing is I was thinking of making a reflectix pouch specific for the boots and then have it as a camp pad around the fire or something. Maybe I'll make that soon but that issue is going away with it being 50's in west Michigan. I really hope I can get out and meet you guys soon. It would be sweet if it was even this month or next.
What do you guys think about doing Pictured Rocks in April?

Stone
03-11-2013, 16:29
For those of us that didn't bail over little water in our shoes, it was a great trip. I'm sure someone will start a trip report thread soon, maybe even featuring a cameo of the short hiker. :D

http://ourlittlepickle.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/234873.jpg?w=500

When did you take a picture of my boots? LOL!

Oms
03-13-2013, 12:54
Does it rain at every one of your outings? Next time out with you I will bring my umbrella . Glad you can all laugh about it. whats the deal with p**s in the boots, were you trying to thaw them? :eek:

Boudah
03-13-2013, 19:13
Didn't rain till later Saturday night/Sunday morning... our feet were soaked from post-holing up to our knees in snow if you stepped off the "trail"

Oms
03-14-2013, 06:36
Sounds like you could have used snowshoes on this trip. Cold, wet feet are the pits. I don't normally wear boots because they never dry out. Had this happen to me on a trip and have since changed to breathable shoes for most packing trips. I do like the hot water bottle idea to help dry them out.

Bosman
03-14-2013, 09:43
Sounds like you guys need to invest in some gaitors, pretty indispensable in the winter. I hate some event ones from integral designs that are simple but do just what you need them to. My winter camps this winter often meant wet boots but I keep them near the fire til I went to bed so they were mostly just damp from walking they the snow to my hammock.

vampiresmiley
03-14-2013, 11:02
Not sure what would have been the best solution, other than extra boots. The trail conditions were not really conducive to snowshoes, and the gaiters didn't seem to be of much help. I think the combination of wet deep snow, ambient temperatures just above freezing and the heat generated by the exertion of hiking through it, just combined for maximum wetness.

I was wearing the same boots I wore to the Michigan Fall Hang, which remained dry that entire weekend, despite three days of continuous rain and wet/flooded ground. However, this weekend they failed miserably...

Michael

Mountain Gout
03-14-2013, 11:23
Ok folks... Time for pictures?

Stone
03-14-2013, 11:56
Sounds like you guys need to invest in some gaitors, pretty indispensable in the winter. I hate some event ones from integral designs that are simple but do just what you need them to. My winter camps this winter often meant wet boots but I keep them near the fire til I went to bed so they were mostly just damp from walking they the snow to my hammock.

I must second what vampire said. Snowshoes would not have helped aside from about maybe a mile or so on the trail. Gaiters, had them, the worked great! My pants never got a drop on them. Shoes...my waterproofs were not broken in, and my normal boots werent waterproofed. Lesson learned.
We all kept our boots by the fire till we turned in, with very little benefit. I even put hand warmers inside my boots with a sock stuffed in top while I slept, and nothing.

After puting on frozen boots in the morning that I couldnt even tie up, I could read the writing on the wall...My boots were not going to dry out over the weekend and with rain forecasted for Sat night and Sun, I knew the trail conditions would deteriate to a skating rink as testified by the others. Rather than risk injury and a miserable night in the woods, I bailed. Yes I am a big P*##y! I go to the woods to enjoy myself, not be miserable. For 3 seasons I will endure a lot (rain, wind, sunburn, blisters, wet boots, horrible bugs, need I go on?) becasue that is where I want to be, in the winter why take the risk of injury or getting sick (which I did anyways)?

My advise is to know your gear and its limitations, know yourself and your limitations, discretion is the better part of valor. Yes, I walked off the trail. Yes, I took crap for it (which I dont mind from those who were there :tongueup:). And yes, if put into that same situation again, I would walk off the trail again.

easy_grounder
03-14-2013, 13:03
Sorry but I have to chime in. My -40 rated Sorels were bulletproof this weekend. Dry as a bone and great ankle support. Best $80 spent so far. Now granted, I was fortunate to hike a semi-broken trail (thanks Boudah) but these boots are the bomb.com.

Stone
03-14-2013, 13:11
Sorry but I have to chime in. My -40 rated Sorels were bulletproof this weekend. Dry as a bone and great ankle support. Best $80 spent so far. Now granted, I was fortunate to hike a semi-broken trail (thanks Boudah) but these boots are the bomb.com.

Had I known, what it would have been like, I would have brought my Keen snowshoe boots...alas another lesson learned.

sr1355
03-14-2013, 15:13
Ok folks... Time for pictures?

YES!!! We demand pictures...:D Or I will start to think this was one big snip hunt...

easy_grounder
03-15-2013, 11:56
All my pictures are up in a album under my name.

All the groups pics can be had by emailing Vince and getting the gmail shared account he so kindly set up.