PDA

View Full Version : WWM Length mod

winterrain
01-23-2013, 18:48
A friend of mine recently suggested buying a weight weenie as a winter alternative to my bottom entry Hennessy. I've been looking into it and I really like that option for a lot of reasons, not least of which, the enormous winter pack weight savings. But great scott, the thing is huge! I was thinking about ordering it cut down to around 9.5-10 feet by 50 inches as this seems like it should still be plenty wide enough to get a diagonal lay, but I am not an experienced enough hanger to know if there is some glaring reason that is a bad idea. Any thoughts from BIAS owners?

Two Tents
01-23-2013, 18:58
I just tied an overhand knot in each end of the WWM. It is around a foot shorter, I'd guess. I put a 2-3 inch plastic toggle made from a plastic coat hanger in each knot so I could un tie the knot. So far I've left it where it landed. Mine has the knotty mods both ends so I can really use the width for some serious diagonal action. Commfy, mmm!

breyman
01-23-2013, 19:18
I have a weight weenie. 10 feet x 50-55 inches would be doable, depending on your size and preferences. If you're under 5'10" you probably won't notice the size difference. If taller than that, the longer length becomes nicer.

winterrain
01-23-2013, 19:24
I'm 5'10", around 175lbs. I just thought it might be nice to shave a little extra weight, not that 6oz isn't already impressive. Plus, a 9' ridgeline will put it pretty close to the ends of my tarp. I was trying to determine if I wanted the knotty mod too, trying to go cheap but I see how that could be nice.

breyman
01-23-2013, 19:29
I'm almost the exact same height/weight. It's right on the border, but I personally like the 11' hammocks. It's worth the .5-1 ounce extra weight. The knotty mod is nice, but is fairly easy to add if you want to save the 20 bucks. More than anything, it helps keep the top quilt or sleeping bag from slipping over the side (in absence of a bug niet).

jbrianb
01-23-2013, 20:55
We've made quite a few that were 10 feet long at customers' requests. We can accommodate. You can make the request in the order instructions of your hammock purchase or email us any time.

Thanks!

heyyou
01-28-2013, 06:58
If you are using a stuff sack as a pillow, find a way to tie it to the ridge line.

Anytime my pillow is gone, I reach for the ridgeline to find the tether, not searching for the pillow itself or which side it escaped.

When you first change to this system, you will have to wake up partially in order to think, but you will get used to it such that you eventually will not have to even open your eyes to retrieve your pillow.

Fish<><
01-28-2013, 09:11
Here's my two cents:

1. Talk to Brian, he will help you as noted above.
2. Do the size mod, it will shave weight, but keep in mind length is one of the more comforting things with a bias. Shaving from the sides saves more weight if that is the main concern.
3. (the following is personal preference) Do the knotty mod only on one side. The main function for me is to help keep my uq in the hammock. Therefore I do not need the second(headside) mod for the knotty mod. It will save a few grams, but will still be modded and unique for you.
4. If you weigh less than 220, save even more weight overall and go with the WWM. It is a wonderful hammock with a great feel.

Ok I gave you four cents, but nonetheless my advice. Have fun with your decision. Regardless of what you choose it will lighten your load a significant amount. My wwm is literally half the weight of my diy mock.