PDA

View Full Version : Northeast>hike>march 29-30th

Nighthauk
01-25-2013, 09:08
Hey guys looking to put together a backpacking trip. Haven't really looked at locations yet. Though I am looking for early start on Friday and mid day leave on Sunday. I will also be putting this out to some of my scout friends. Options are always welcome.

raiffnuke
01-25-2013, 10:56
I am in as far as I can tell so far. :D

Stargaze
01-25-2013, 12:16
Were in!!! That's a great date, our anniversary is the 31st. We will be watching for more details.

Stargaze
01-25-2013, 12:18
That's our anniversary weekend. We are in!!!!!!!

Stargaze
01-25-2013, 12:19
Ahhh tap talk strikes again. Sorry for the double post.

Coffee Bean
01-25-2013, 12:22
Woohoo!!!!

shrineclown
01-25-2013, 12:26
Easter weekend.

Nighthauk
01-25-2013, 13:09
Hmmm I didn't know that. Have talk to lilprincess. Uh roh rorge

Stargaze
01-25-2013, 13:29
If that's Easter weekend were out. Can't leave the kids or get that time off from work.

shrineclown
01-25-2013, 13:45
Well, at least you can have a nice glazed ham for your anniversary.

Taking a second look at the headline....it appears nighthauk is leading a march...Bataan style?

Yukon
01-25-2013, 13:49
That's the beginning of the spring thaw time as well, better to plan a spot as the time draws nearer. If it's really wet you will want to stay off any peaks. Just another thing to keep in mind :)

Coffee Bean
01-25-2013, 14:09
**** :( i had already mentally packed.

Coffee Bean
01-25-2013, 14:11
Ooops, it censored my word. Sorry 'bout that.

Stargaze
01-25-2013, 15:17
Any thoughts to either the weekend before or after that one?

Nighthauk
01-25-2013, 16:47
I will look at my schedule when I get home. I am off in the piney woods again for an overnighter with scouts. Ian flexible a little bit.

Stargaze
01-25-2013, 16:50
Have a great safe trip tonight.

raiffnuke
01-25-2013, 17:20
I will look at my schedule when I get home. I am off in the piney woods again for an overnighter with scouts. Ian flexible a little bit.

Enjoy the weather. Have fun, and be safe.

Nighthauk
01-25-2013, 17:20
Will do. Looks like temps will be about 5-6.

Nighthauk
01-25-2013, 17:30
Delete....

Tobit
01-26-2013, 07:17
Watching the thread for more details.

Nighthauk
01-27-2013, 15:48
Ok So looking at my calendar and talking to Lilprincess I can do the weekend prior to my original date. The 22nd-24th.

raiffnuke
01-27-2013, 15:50
Ok So looking at my calendar and talking to Lilprincess I can do the weekend prior to my original date. The 22nd-24th.

I will check with SWMBO but I should still be a go.

Tobit
01-27-2013, 15:52
LOL, nice seal raiffnuke.

Night, any idea what kind of hike you are looking to do? Easy going, moderate, lots of elevation gain, not so much?

shrineclown
01-27-2013, 17:24
Committed all day on the 23'rd. Would depend where you are; if we wanted to hike in in the dark. Done it before, will do it again, but it will depend where you are. I am going to have to guess we will be a no show for this one. If anyone wants to do something the weekend before, hit me. We would probably take you up on it.

Stargaze
01-27-2013, 19:16
That works for us. We're in.

Nighthauk
01-27-2013, 19:28
LOL, nice seal raiffnuke.

Night, any idea what kind of hike you are looking to do? Easy going, moderate, lots of elevation gain, not so much?

I would like to do something a little more moderate with maybe two locations. We will have to see when getting closer to date how the weather and terrain is. I will be looking for some things shortly and post them up as far as locations go. It will also depend on if everyone can get Friday off or not.

Committed all day on the 23'rd. Would depend where you are; if we wanted to hike in in the dark. Done it before, will do it again, but it will depend where you are. I am going to have to guess we will be a no show for this one. If anyone wants to do something the weekend before, hit me. We would probably take you up on it.

I wish I could but as soon as I get into April and May my calendar explodes with activities.

That works for us. We're in.

Sounds Good.

Snaggletooth
01-27-2013, 23:57
Im interested , would most likely show up Saturday or Saturday night.

McRat
01-28-2013, 07:18
Definitely interested. Will need to see what sort of hike is planned and whether my body is still betraying me, but sounds fun.

R3l@x
01-28-2013, 15:44
Sounds like fun. I'll keep an eye on the thread to see when and where this ends up.

Right now it looks like I may only be able to get a half day on the 15th.

oldsoldier
01-30-2013, 08:31
I am tentative. My fiance will not go, but I am a possible, depending on where and the weather :)

cloudedice
01-30-2013, 10:42
I won't be able to make it. I'm planning a trip on the AT in Connecticut late April/early May and my wife won't like me taking so many trips and leaving her with the two kids.

Nighthauk
01-30-2013, 12:46
Those that can make it. Would you want to do more mileage or more camping. This will help to narrow down options for us. I can go either way. Depending on weather we may end up staying in one place anyway because of mud and muck. We will see how that unfolds. Let me hear your interest.

raiffnuke
01-30-2013, 12:50
I feel that the more people that we have, the shorter the hike, and more time in camp we have together. The more people, the more catching up, gear examining, instruction, and general shinanigans that will occur...

Tobit
01-30-2013, 13:20
Those that can make it. Would you want to do more mileage or more camping.
I am good with a fair amount of mileage but can't handle a lot of steady elevation gain. Low peaks are fine but 4K's are out for me until I get in better shape. :confused: :(

G.G.
01-30-2013, 14:58
I may be in. I'd prefer more hiking...

Tripod
01-30-2013, 15:05
I go up hills slowly, big hills little hills, doesn't matter. Currently I am good for a 3 to 5 hour hike with a winter pack depending on the elevation gain. If we will be on snowshoes I would be concerned if you said more than 6 miles, but the dates work for me.

Stargaze
01-30-2013, 15:29
I like Raiff's thinking. No issues with miles between camp set ups if that's what is decided on either. We don't have snowshoes so if there is a good amount we will be slow going.

shrineclown
01-30-2013, 16:20
FWIW since I am already committed elsewhere, but you can accomplish both with Reasons offer. It really is a very nice hiking mountain, as well as a couple others nearby. Just saying...those who want to hike a little can and those who want to hike a lot can all from the same place.

civetta
01-30-2013, 23:43
I'm out. That's a work weekend for me. :(

Nighthauk
01-31-2013, 19:59
ALright to help narrow this down a little bit more and to try and centralize the location i have made a google spreadsheet for sign ups. Please fill it out if you are interested in going.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmDlEwUylA1LdFgyX0cxR0gwc3JsNUFtcC1YT2wte Xc&usp=sharing

Stargaze
02-01-2013, 17:18
Spread sheet updated, thanks to Coffee Bean, the smart one.

Coffee Bean
02-01-2013, 18:33
Spread sheet updated, thanks to Coffee Bean, the smart one.

Aww, shucks.

Nighthauk
02-02-2013, 19:07
Alright guys. Trying to take everything into account for the possible weather, temps and daylight I am thinking of a place in VT about 15 minutes north of MT snow on RT 100. There are two lakes up the Bourne pond and Stratton Pond. It is about 4 miles in and plenty of other trails if we want to move around including a day trip up Stratton Mountain. I will post up more later. If anyone that knows the area wants to post up more to ahead.

Stargaze
02-02-2013, 22:00
Sounds like the best of both worlds there. A little hiking and a little camping.

How am I going to lug a car battery 4 miles, pink flamingos don't light themselves ya know.

raiffnuke
02-03-2013, 03:14
Sounds like the best of both worlds there. A little hiking and a little camping.

How am I going to lug a car battery 4 miles, pink flamingos don't light themselves ya know.

Slip it into Coffee Bean's pack when she is not looking! :D

Stargaze
02-03-2013, 07:30
Slip it into Coffee Bean's pack when she is not looking! :D

That's a great idea. It's going to be tricky to pull off though. I will have to add more weight to her pack now so she doesn't notice it later.

Coffee Bean
02-03-2013, 07:52
Sleep with one eye open that weekend....both of ya! XOXO

Tobit
02-04-2013, 15:13
Finally signed up on the spreadsheet, Stratton Pond area sound perfect.

Nighthauk
02-04-2013, 17:32
I am glad that you can make it. I am looking forward to getting back in the woods hiking myself and enjoying the PINEY woods.

affreeman
02-06-2013, 09:26
Alright guys. Trying to take everything into account for the possible weather, temps and daylight I am thinking of a place in VT about 15 minutes north of MT snow on RT 100. There are two lakes up the Bourne pond and Stratton Pond. It is about 4 miles in and plenty of other trails if we want to move around including a day trip up Stratton Mountain. I will post up more later. If anyone that knows the area wants to post up more to ahead.

During the winter the Arlington - West Wardsboro Rd is only open to the AT trail head from the east (Rt 100) side. From there you have to walk up the road -- which is open to snowmobiles in the winter -- about a mile to the trail-head for the Stratton Pond Trail, and about 2 miles to the top of the ridge where the Branch Pond Trail to Bourne Pond starts.

Which is to say the hike into Stratton Pond via the Stratton Pond Trail is about 5 miles in the winter, and the hike into Bourne Pond is about 6. The Branch Pond Trail can be a bit tricky to follow in the winter unless somebody else has been through recently and you can follow their footsteps.

I hiked the trail between Bourne Pond and Stratton Pond (the name escapes me at the moment) last summer and I would not attempt that in the winter unless I was prepared to bushwhack because losing the trail completely would be very likely.

oldsoldier
02-06-2013, 12:37
I dont recall if I was in on this or not, but, now, I'm not. I have a busy March, and likely will not get out at all. Sorry-was looking forward to getting a hike in, but, it just doesnt seem to be in the cards for me this time.

Nighthauk
02-06-2013, 15:28
During the winter the Arlington - West Wardsboro Rd is only open to the AT trail head from the east (Rt 100) side. From there you have to walk up the road -- which is open to snowmobiles in the winter -- about a mile to the trail-head for the Stratton Pond Trail, and about 2 miles to the top of the ridge where the Branch Pond Trail to Bourne Pond starts.

Which is to say the hike into Stratton Pond via the Stratton Pond Trail is about 5 miles in the winter, and the hike into Bourne Pond is about 6. The Branch Pond Trail can be a bit tricky to follow in the winter unless somebody else has been through recently and you can follow their footsteps.

I hiked the trail between Bourne Pond and Stratton Pond (the name escapes me at the moment) last summer and I would not attempt that in the winter unless I was prepared to bushwhack because losing the trail completely would be very likely.

Afreeman thank you for the update. A couple of us have been in there before a few times. I am anticipating that the road will be open all the way to the stratton Pond Trail by the time that we get in there. If not we will make adjustments as needed. The rest we will take as we get there.
I am thinking of meeting everyone at the intersection of Arlington/Stratton Rd and Rt.100 and everyone drive from there.

SkyPainter
02-14-2013, 15:21
I could possibly be in for this. I am retiring soon, and also leaving my other PT job. The fly in this ointment is the possibility I could be starting radiation therapy in March, based on further testing, and that would seriously take me out for the hike. The therapy would be 5 days a week, Mon thru Fri, for 7 weeks or so, with weekends off to try and let my body recover a little. Hiking would take more energy than I might have then. We'll see. I will keep up with this thread in case.

~ Sky

Nighthauk
02-14-2013, 17:30
Hope you can make it, but taking care of yourself for your family's sake is way more important. Keep us updated and let us know if there is anything that we can do.

Tripod
02-16-2013, 08:48
The fly in this ointment is the possibility I could be starting radiation therapy in March.

~ Sky

I know you have been battling this for a while. Hope this time it takes care of the issue. Be nice to have someone else in retirement with similar interests.

Joe

SkyPainter
02-17-2013, 21:09
I know you have been battling this for a while. Hope this time it takes care of the issue. Be nice to have someone else in retirement with similar interests.

Joe

====> Thank you, Joe. I look forward to more 'me time' this summer. Would be nice to hike and fish together sometime!

~ Sky

shrineclown
02-19-2013, 13:10
====> Thank you, Joe. I look forward to more 'me time' this summer. Would be nice to hike and fish together sometime!

~ Sky

Good luck Sky. Fish on.

SkyPainter
02-20-2013, 07:42
Good luck Sky. Fish on.

===> Thanks! I plan on it! I won't be an Instructor for LL Bean any more, so I will have time to fish myself now. I will still be an Instructor for the State, and have private students, but far less time commitments.

~ Sky. <o}}}}><

Stargaze
02-20-2013, 10:05
Did I miss fly fishing talk at the hang? Hmmm, next group hang we do we should wet a line.

G...Hawk
02-20-2013, 16:20
Looking for a March WinterHang Hike, just checked out the distance from NYC (Queens ) to Stratton : about 4.5 hours.

NJWinterHang Jan25-27
drivetime : 2.75hours

AT501PA HF group of 8 Feb16
drivetime : 3hours

Want to hang / hike every month. Prefer the AT.

A long drive, something to think about.

G

Nighthauk
02-20-2013, 19:42
If you could make it we would love to have you. I know that I am very itching to get out and have a good time with everyone.

SkyPainter
02-21-2013, 07:35
Did I miss fly fishing talk at the hang? Hmmm, next group hang we do we should wet a line.

===> Lol! Nope- there wasn't any. Skydiving chatter, but not fly fishing or fly tying. I did have 10-15 rods in the truck there, though! :D. I would be glad to fish with you next hang together!

~ Sky

Stargaze
02-21-2013, 07:42
===> Lol! Nope- there wasn't any. Skydiving chatter, but not fly fishing or fly tying. I did have 10-15 rods in the truck there, though! :D. I would be glad to fish with you next hang together!

~ Sky

Sounds like a great plan.

Nighthauk
02-21-2013, 11:51
[QUOTE=SkyPainter;945548]===> Lol! Nope- there wasn't any. Skydiving chatter, but not fly fishing or fly tying. I did have 10-15 rods in the truck there, though! :D. I would be glad to fish with you next hang together!

~ Sky[/QUOTE

You also said you had a haitian kid there somewhere in your vehicle that we never saw either.:D At this point you could say you had Air Force One in there as well and we would not know the difference.:D

SkyPainter
02-21-2013, 23:59
[QUOTE=SkyPainter;945548]===> Lol! Nope- there wasn't any. Skydiving chatter, but not fly fishing or fly tying. I did have 10-15 rods in the truck there, though! :D. I would be glad to fish with you next hang together!

~ Sky[/QUOTE

You also said you had a haitian kid there somewhere in your vehicle that we never saw either.:D At this point you could say you had Air Force One in there as well and we would not know the difference.:D

===> Well, the truck is a tad stuffed. Once a day I throw a Big Mac in the back, and it always disappears. The kid's gotta be in there someplace! There are things in that vehicle that have not been manufactured since Moby **** was a minnow. Lotta stuff, but it is MY stuff!

~ Sky

Nighthauk
02-28-2013, 17:53
Tomorrow is March. We will then be in the same month as our Trip. I am getting more and more excited about getting together again with everyone. I also just order my incubator from HQ. will probably me more than I need but really hope to try it out. Who else is excited.

March 22nd-24th whoooo Buddy

Snaggletooth
02-28-2013, 21:09
Guys I cant make it, I have a gig Saturday night the 23rd and I didn't realize till now that its on the same date. I am really disappointed, I was very much looking forward to this hike.
Sorry

Deadphans
02-28-2013, 23:47
Guys I cant make it, I have a gig Saturday night the 23rd and I didn't realize till now that its on the same date. I am really disappointed, I was very much looking forward to this hike.
Sorry

Nice, that's the best excuse I can think of lol.

Being a musician myself I am curious, what type of music you guys play?

Tripod
03-01-2013, 08:58
I am still in and looking forward to the weekend. I have a burrow on order, which hopefully will be here in time or if not, I am going to have to lug the 0 degree sleeping bag.

Stargaze
03-01-2013, 12:48
We're still in, watching the weather for snow. If there is a lot we may have to cancel, not looking forward to a post hole death march hike in.

oldsoldier
03-01-2013, 14:56
So, are we planning the dunker get together after this hike? I'm not able to attend the hike, but we want to schedule our weekend for the spring NEHAA meet as early as we can :)

Nighthauk
03-01-2013, 20:39
Old soldier I am not sure what you mean by dunker. Though I thought the next GROUP hang was in June. I may be wrong in this though.

shrineclown
03-01-2013, 21:13
We're still in, watching the weather for snow. If there is a lot we may have to cancel, not looking forward to a post hole death march hike in.

You just follow. Nighthauk will blaze. Easy :D

Stargaze
03-01-2013, 22:31
You just follow. Nighthauk will blaze. Easy :D

Now that is a great idea. I like it.

Nighthauk
03-02-2013, 07:53
Great thanks guys. Lol. At this rate the way we are losing snow I doubt the will be much to worry about.

Snaggletooth
03-02-2013, 08:27
Nice, that's the best excuse I can think of lol.

Being a musician myself I am curious, what type of music you guys play?

For this gig Balkan folk music Croatian and Serbian.

Yukon
03-03-2013, 15:00
I hiked, or should say snowshoed Stratton today and did a little recon. There is A LOT of snow up there. There is easily 2-3 feet at the elevation of Stratton Pond, and 3-4 feet or more up top. The snowmobile trails have a real good base so that won't melt off very soon. Unless we have a major warm up very soon, I'd plan on parking at the trailhead for Stratton mountain and hiking the additional mile to the Stratton pond trailhead. My guess is there will still be a lot of snow in the woods when you head out in a couple weeks. I have hiked and snowmobiled that area extensively and it's not uncommon to see snow in the woods up there well into April. Here's a couple pics from today.

Nighthauk
03-03-2013, 16:26
Yukon thanks for the update. That is something I was hoping to hear. I am assuming that most of the trails are packed down except the ones to the actual campsites? So snowshoes would be required?

Yukon
03-03-2013, 16:40
Yukon thanks for the update. That is something I was hoping to hear. I am assuming that most of the trails are packed down except the ones to the actual campsites? So snowshoes would be required?

As of today, snowshoes would be a definite requirement. I was only the second or third person through there after this latest storm so I was breaking some trail at times. I hiked the LT up Stratton Mountain though, I didn't go out to the pond. No idea if anyone has taken the trail out to the pond...

Nighthauk
03-04-2013, 21:20
Yukon thanks for getting me even more excited about going then I was already. To truly make this a good trip I am hoping that a new HG UQ comes in on time and I get to carry that out there. Then the weekend will be perfect. even regardless of weather.

Yukon
03-05-2013, 06:59
Calling for another 4"-8" of snow this week, which means 8+ up there. I'd say it will be a nice snowshoe in to the pond :)

Tripod
03-05-2013, 10:17
The time for departing to Stratton Pond is getting closer and I have a couple of questions.
1. Tim, do you have a meetup time/Place plan?
2. A friend, J-T, has signed up, but he could use an under quilt for his Eno Hammock. Anybody have an extra one?
3. I do have an extra set of snowshoes, which I will be happy to bring.
Joe

Nighthauk
03-05-2013, 14:15
Happy to have J-T along. I may have another UQ for him. It will be a 20* phoenix though. It depends on whether or not my Incubator comes in. I was looking at the map and I saw a intersection of Stratton Arlington Rd and Pike Hollow Rd in Wardsboro Vt. 05360. It is just North of Nt. Snow off of Rt 100. about 3-4 miles up. Maybe less. Never checked. How does 10-11 am sound on Friday sound?? I don't know how long it will take everyone to get there so please advise if you need it to be later or earlier.

affreeman
03-05-2013, 15:17
I was looking at the map and I saw a intersection of Stratton Arlington Rd and Pike Hollow Rd in Wardsboro Vt. 05360. It is just North of Nt. Snow off of Rt 100. about 3-4 miles up. Maybe less.

That's just a small intersection and there's really no place for vehicles to sit and wait there. Why not just meet at the general store at the base of the Arlington Stratton Rd? It's actually just off Arlington Stratton Rd; turn onto Arlington Stratton Rd from Rt 100, then take a right on a little road -- Cross Rd -- to get to the store. You'll see it as you turn off Rt 100. It's right here: 43.029261,-72.854239

And, of course, I won't be attending that weekend so feel free to ignore me!

Nighthauk
03-05-2013, 15:32
Sounds good to me. I didn't know there was a store there. So I game for Cross rd.

Tripod
03-05-2013, 16:32
How about 12 to 1pm. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive for me.

Yukon
03-05-2013, 21:22
That's just a small intersection and there's really no place for vehicles to sit and wait there. Why not just meet at the general store at the base of the Arlington Stratton Rd? It's actually just off Arlington Stratton Rd; turn onto Arlington Stratton Rd from Rt 100, then take a right on a little road -- Cross Rd -- to get to the store. You'll see it as you turn off Rt 100. It's right here: 43.029261,-72.854239

And, of course, I won't be attending that weekend so feel free to ignore me!

I was going to suggest the same place!

But, you could always just meet at the trailhead. Once you take that turn off of Rt. 100 you don't make anymore turns, so you can't miss the trailhead. Especially since you won't be able to drive any further than it lol

Nighthauk
03-05-2013, 21:31
I was wondering how far we could make it. So just drive down Stratton Arlington road until they stop plowing?

Yukon
03-05-2013, 21:48
I was wondering how far we could make it. So just drive down Stratton Arlington road until they stop plowing?

Yeah, you can clearly see where the snowmobile trail starts and the trailhead for Stratton mountain is.

Nighthauk
03-05-2013, 21:50
Well if everyone is good with that then we will all meet at the parking spot.

Tripod
03-06-2013, 08:24
I can move my arrival time back to 11 to 12 and leave earlier. Looks like with the road walk from the parking lot to the trail head to be about 4 miles into the shelter at Stratton Pond. Last night I found a recent blog describing the snowy hike in and the shelter.
http://justyouraveragehiker.com/2013/02/25/trail-resourcesstratton-pond-trail-stratton-vt/

Yukon
03-06-2013, 08:36
I can move my arrival time back to 11 to 12 and leave earlier. Looks like with the road walk from the parking lot to the trail head to be about 4 miles into the shelter at Stratton Pond. Last night I found a recent blog describing the snowy hike in and the shelter.
http://justyouraveragehiker.com/2013/02/25/trail-resourcesstratton-pond-trail-stratton-vt/

The trail to Stratton pond is about 3.9 from the Stratton Pond Trailhead, which won't be accessible by car at the time of this trip. You will have about a mile road walk (on a snowmobile trail) from the parking area (Stratton mountain trailhead of the AT/LT). So the hike in will be more like 4.8 miles, call it 5 miles with finding a campsite. If you guys plan to hike around to the north shore tenting area it will be more as well...

J-T
03-06-2013, 10:09
Looking forward to meeting everyone..... so we're meeting at ~11:30am at the Parking Lot (Stratton mountain trailhead of the AT/LT) is that right?
J-T (jim)

Nighthauk
03-06-2013, 10:43
Sounds Good. I look forward to meeting everyone and hanging out again. 11:30 sounds good

Nighthauk
03-11-2013, 20:21
Hey Guys now that we are only two weeks out I am looking for a head count so we have a better idea of who is coming and when, so that Meeting up at the same time as well as getting directions out there so those who are coming late know how to find us. Check in Time.

raiffnuke
03-11-2013, 20:31
Hey Guys now that we are only two weeks out I am looking for a head count so we have a better idea of who is coming and when, so that Meeting up at the same time as well as getting directions out there so those who are coming late know how to find us. Check in Time.

I am still in. :D

Nighthauk
03-11-2013, 20:33
Phew. I was worried Raiffnuke I haven't heard from you in a while.

raiffnuke
03-11-2013, 20:45
Phew. I was worried Raiffnuke I haven't heard from you in a while.

Since the HD switch to https, I have been having firewall issues. It really cuts into my HF time!

Nighthauk
03-11-2013, 20:47
Yeah but you get it on your phone right?

raiffnuke
03-11-2013, 20:52
Yeah but you get it on your phone right?

I sure do. It is a bit more cumbersome to browse, but I keep tabs on things on my phone.

Nighthauk
03-11-2013, 20:54
Good. Look forward to the hike though. Snowshoeing up there is something I am looking forward too.

raiffnuke
03-11-2013, 20:56
Good. Look forward to the hike though. Snowshoeing up there is something I am looking forward too.

It will be a good time, that is for sure!

Stargaze
03-11-2013, 21:29
Any reports on how much snow is up there. We're still on the fence on making the trip.

Tripod
03-11-2013, 21:31
I updated the spreadsheet with arrival times at the Trailhead.

Nighthauk
03-11-2013, 22:20
Stargazer I think there will be still enough that that snowshoes will be required. I can't be positive about that but I have been monitoring the weather up there and it isn't as warm as it is here.

Nighthauk
03-11-2013, 22:22
Thanks JPkeo.

Yukon
03-12-2013, 06:19
Stargazer I think there will be still enough that that snowshoes will be required. I can't be positive about that but I have been monitoring the weather up there and it isn't as warm as it is here.

If I have time this weekend I will shoot up for another recon hike of the area and report back how it's looking. It's one of my favorite areas to hike so I don't mind going multiple times a year :D

J-T
03-12-2013, 06:58
Updated my arrival time also.....just returned from Carter Hut in the Whites.....I should be in shape for this hike, lol.....Looking forward to a fun weekend.... how are we handling food? any group meals or everyone on their own? either way is ok with me...

Stargaze
03-12-2013, 07:16
If I have time this weekend I will shoot up for another recon hike of the area and report back how it's looking. It's one of my favorite areas to hike so I don't mind going multiple times a year :D

Thanks Yukon

Yukon
03-12-2013, 07:34
Throwing my name is as a yes for now, just awaiting some new equipment to be sure. If it comes in time, which I'm thinking it should, I will be there :)

Yukon
03-12-2013, 07:34
Thanks Yukon

Not a problem :D

oldsoldier
03-12-2013, 07:59
Old soldier I am not sure what you mean by dunker. Though I thought the next GROUP hang was in June. I may be wrong in this though.

Yeah, sorry, tapatalk comes up with some crazy auto select words...I meant group hang :)

McRat
03-12-2013, 09:11
Planning on hitting this hang - work and home life conspire to keep me from 100% surety.

SamyK
03-12-2013, 09:46
Planning on hitting this hang - work and home life conspire to keep me from 100% surety.

Was gonna call you today to see if you could go to this. :)

Vtrek and I will be heading up early Sat morning. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

R3l@x
03-12-2013, 16:55

Won't be able to make this one so I've removed myself from the sheet. I just had PRK done and I'm still healing. I need to take to many eye-drops at specified intervals to make this doable :(

Hope to see you guys at the next hang. On the bright side I should have 20/20 for my 100 mile section of the Long trail in July and my next Tough Mudder in June :)

raiffnuke
03-12-2013, 16:56
Won't be able to make this one so I've removed myself from the sheet. I just had PRK done and I'm still healing. I need to take to many eye-drops at specified intervals to make this doable :(

Hope to see you guys at the next hang. On the bright side I should have 20/20 for my 100 mile section of the Long trail in July and my next Tough Mudder in June :)

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Nighthauk
03-12-2013, 20:11

Gonna miss you buddy. Heal quickly my friend.

Tripod
03-12-2013, 23:01

Get those eyes working that's most important!! See you next time.

R3l@x
03-13-2013, 20:42
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Gonna miss you buddy. Heal quickly my friend.

Get those eyes working that's most important!! See you next time.

Thanks guys.

I'll be out on trails hiking in another week but won't be doing overnights until April. I just can't see taping the eye protectors over my eyes each night and staying on all the scheduled eye drops for the weekend and still having fun.

See you all at the next hang or maybe sooner if we can get up on Greylock. Have fun next weekend!

Tripod
03-15-2013, 05:08
My new 15* Burrow from Hammock Gear arrived yesterday and is in my pack. Food shopping today and I will be ready to go.

SkyPainter
03-15-2013, 16:32

===> Luck with the healing and recovery, John! Hope to be hanging this year myself more in the summer ...am retiring April 30th, so I will have some time now for ME! Buying a motorcycle in June - a bagger so I can put my gear on the bike. Wonder where the rest of the stuff will go?

Heal fast, buddy! Seeya this summer!

~ SkyPainter

raiffnuke
03-15-2013, 16:33
===> Luck with the healing and recovery, John! Hope to be hanging this year myself more in the summer ...am retiring April 30th, so I will have some time now for ME! Buying a motorcycle in June - a bagger so I can put my gear on the bike. Wonder where the rest of the stuff will go?

~ SkyPainter

Don't forget the second helmet for the boy that lives in the back your truck!

SkyPainter
03-15-2013, 16:36
Don't forget the second helmet for the boy that lives in the back your truck!

===> I didn't! Buying a 'two-up' so he can ride on the back. He will be the porter for setting-up camp, while I drink single-malt scotch, though I might have to get him more than a Big Mac every day, once he sees how much we eat at these hangs! :D

~ Sky

Tripod
03-15-2013, 20:37
===> Buying a motorcycle in June - a bagger so I can put my gear on the bike. Wonder where the rest of the stuff will go?

~ SkyPainter

How about a sidecar ? Retirement is good, it's just hard trying to squeeze everything in!! But I keep on working on it.

SkyPainter
03-16-2013, 10:04
I hear ya, JP! Retirement does NOT = idle! I will be busier than I ever was, only doing things I actually like!

~ Sky

Nighthauk
03-17-2013, 21:02
looks like there will be some more fresh snow up there at Stratton Pond for this weekend. I have see about 3-5" of more snow on Tuesday. What all think. You excited.

Yukon
03-18-2013, 06:11
looks like there will be some more fresh snow up there at Stratton Pond for this weekend. I have see about 3-5" of more snow on Tuesday. What all think. You excited.

They are calling for 8"-10" in my area, so I'm guessing that Stratton Pond area is going to be seeing at least a foot or more :eek:

I love winter activities, but I'm burnt out this year. Very ready for spring and to see things blooming and green...

As for the hike, I'm still in as long as my hammock and tarp arrive in time. Might want to bring a shovel with us though lol

J-T
03-18-2013, 07:02
Hi Guys....has anyone put together directions to the trailhead. I think I know where it is, but just want to be sure.....any help appreciated....

SNOW~! SNOW~! SNOW~!

jim

Yukon
03-18-2013, 07:41
Hi Guys....has anyone put together directions to the trailhead. I think I know where it is, but just want to be sure.....any help appreciated....

SNOW~! SNOW~! SNOW~!

jim

Basically, from the intersection of Stratton-Arlington road and Rt. 100, you follow Stratton-Arlington road all the way to the trailhead. The trailhead is very obvious, you can't miss it. It will be on your right hand side as you drive...

Stargaze
03-18-2013, 07:41
Crystal and I are going to have to bow out of this one. We don't have snow shoes yet( we're working to fix that) and for some reason I didn't get the Sunday off from work. We will see you all at the next one.

Nighthauk
03-18-2013, 07:49
Yukon using weather.com they are only calling for 3-5". Now they have been fairly accurate but not dead on. I hope it is not a 12" or more. Oh well still looking forward to it. Already have a shovel planned to be bringing.

affreeman
03-18-2013, 08:56
I know I'm late to the ball but there's a chance my schedule could be changing so now I'm a bit more interested in this trip. If you're hiking in on Friday, and hiking out on Sunday, what's on the agenda fort saturday?

Also, are you planning on staying in the vicinity of Stratton Pond shelter, or over at the north shore tenting area?

McRat
03-18-2013, 08:59
FWIW, I still have those large atlas 836 snowshoes kicking around (buried in the for sale forum) if anyone wants a loaner pair. Old school compared to what most use, but these clown shoes have lots more floatation.

In a pinch, I might even be able to wrangle up another pair of MSR plastics like mine if it is critical to getting a fellow NEHHA-er to the hang.

I love snow in the mountains - just not my driveway.

Yukon
03-18-2013, 09:03
Yukon using weather.com they are only calling for 3-5". Now they have been fairly accurate but not dead on. I hope it is not a 12" or more. Oh well still looking forward to it. Already have a shovel planned to be bringing.

Yes, 3"-5" tonight...but another 4"-6" tomorrow. I don't want anymore snow at all lol.

Just trying to be prepared...

Nighthauk
03-18-2013, 09:13
I know I'm late to the ball but there's a chance my schedule could be changing so now I'm a bit more interested in this trip. If you're hiking in on Friday, and hiking out on Sunday, what's on the agenda fort saturday?

Also, are you planning on staying in the vicinity of Stratton Pond shelter, or over at the north shore tenting area?

The initial plan is like you mentioned. Going in on Friday headed to the north shore campin area and then Saturday see what the majority wants to do. If we want to move to Bourne pond we will if we want to stay at the north shore that is also ok. Sunday we will pack out from wherever we are.

Yukon I understand about done with the snow. I am really looking forward to waking up not shaking while getting dressed and worrying about things freezing. This will be my last winter horrah. BRING ON THE WARM WEATHER. lol

J-T
03-18-2013, 12:56
Basically, from the intersection of Stratton-Arlington road and Rt. 100, you follow Stratton-Arlington road all the way to the trailhead. The trailhead is very obvious, you can't miss it. It will be on your right hand side as you drive...

Thanks~! I'm sure I can find it....

Tripod
03-18-2013, 16:00
I am really looking forward to waking up not shaking while getting dressed and worrying about things freezing. This will be my last winter horrah. BRING ON THE WARM WEATHER. lol

Doesn't look like we will be getting the warm weather this weekend, although the weather is supposed to warm up into the low thirties by Sunday. J-T asked about group meals, but not having seen anything is everyone planning on individual meals or Nighthauk do you have a surprise for us?
Joe

Yukon
03-18-2013, 17:19
Doesn't look like we will be getting the warm weather this weekend, although the weather is supposed to warm up into the low thirties by Sunday. J-T asked about group meals, but not having seen anything is everyone planning on individual meals or Nighthauk do you have a surprise for us?
Joe

It's a 5 mile trek in to the camping spot, in what looks like to be a lot of snow. My guess is its everyone bring their own food. I know that's my plan anyway...

If my hammock shows up that is lol

Nighthauk
03-19-2013, 07:27
JPkeo lol. At the moment I don't have any surprises. I was planning on individual meals but not to discourage anyone that does want to do a group meal.

Yukon
03-19-2013, 08:12
Stratton mountain is reporting 8" at their base lodge already, which is roughly at the same elevation as Stratton Pond...and still snowing. Going to be a winter wonderland!

J-T
03-19-2013, 12:12
Is it true the new guy can't be leader and has to follow everyone to the campsite? :-)

1960HikerDude
03-19-2013, 12:23
I like that rule too!

Yukon
03-19-2013, 12:51
Is it true the new guy can't be leader and has to follow everyone to the campsite? :-)

I like that rule too!

Actually, new guys break trail :D

raiffnuke
03-19-2013, 12:52
Actually, new guys break trail :D

Exactly what he said! :D

Tripod
03-19-2013, 13:48
New and young break trails

Nighthauk
03-19-2013, 14:42
Sounds good to me. I know that we should all sleep well Friday night.

Yukon
03-19-2013, 14:56
In all seriousness, if there is a group of us hiking in together we can trade off the lead trail breaker position. I don't mind doing a lot of it since I'll be missing two nights on my cycling trainer, I'll want the exercise :)

Nighthauk
03-19-2013, 15:05
that was what I was thinking. Well not you needed the exercise :D but the switching on and off.

1960HikerDude
03-19-2013, 15:11
Every time I break wind, er, I mean trail, they send me to the back. :rolleyes:

Yukon
03-19-2013, 15:12
Every time I break wind, er, I mean trail, they send me to the back. :rolleyes:

Just don't eat beans Thursday night please :lol:

J-T
03-20-2013, 10:22
Snow Depth Looking Good

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

Yukon
03-20-2013, 10:31
Snow Depth Looking Good

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

It will be a bit of a march to get in there, but the Stratton Pond area is going to be beautiful this weekend. Hoping for some nice bluebird skies and starry nights :)

Nighthauk
03-20-2013, 12:10
Yukon was thinking the same thing. The pond will looked beautiful all covered in the snow. Totally looking for this to my last wintery hoorah of the year. I least I am hoping it will be. I am so ready for spring and warmer weather.

J-T
03-20-2013, 12:44
Going to EMS to pickup a Titanium Pot tonight.....right now I have a Stainless Steel one....hoping that drops my pack weight by about 40 lbs.....wish me luck :-)

Yukon
03-20-2013, 12:47
Going to EMS to pickup a Titanium Pot tonight.....right now I have a Stainless Steel one....hoping that drops my pack weight by about 40 lbs.....wish me luck :-)

:lol: That's hilarious!

Yukon
03-21-2013, 18:00
Is the spreadsheet all up to date on who will be at the trailhead tomorrow and who will be coming Saturday?

raiffnuke
03-21-2013, 18:04
Is the spreadsheet all up to date on who will be at the trailhead tomorrow and who will be coming Saturday?

My info is updated. And Hunter is going to make the journey with me.

Yukon
03-21-2013, 18:10
My info is updated. And Hunter is going to make the journey with me.

Cool, can't wait to see you and the pup tomorrow my friend! Raiffnuke and I claim our usual spot!! lol

raiffnuke
03-21-2013, 18:19
Cool, can't wait to see you and the pup tomorrow my friend! Raiffnuke and I claim our usual spot!! lol

Good call on the spot. :D

Nighthauk
03-21-2013, 18:51
I think the one who put this together gets first dibs. :D

SamyK
03-21-2013, 18:54
V-trek and myself will be up on Sat

J-T
03-21-2013, 19:12
Looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend....

if you see a guy in a yellow jeep that looks really lost, flag me down.....

J-T

Tripod
03-21-2013, 19:28
It's snowing hard here, might be interesting getting underway tomorrow morning, but i am all packed and ready.

Yukon
03-21-2013, 19:52
It's snowing hard here, might be interesting getting underway tomorrow morning, but i am all packed and ready.

Huh, clear skies here in Cambridge. We just drove through Stratton on our way home from Stowe today and it was clear. If the weather holds like they are saying it should be an awesome weekend by the pond!

Nighthauk
03-21-2013, 20:29
Anyone hear from G.G or Tobit to see if they are coming. I just sent both a PM. I also haven't heard from McRat yet either.

Yukon
03-21-2013, 20:50
Anyone hear from G.G or Tobit to see if they are coming. I just sent both a PM. I also haven't heard from McRat yet either.

Hope they get back to you. Think we should set a time on when we are hitting the trail, with or without people?

Nighthauk
03-21-2013, 20:52
I say we hit the trail no later than 12:00. That way it gives everyone time to get there and ready to march on. That work for you guys?

Yukon
03-21-2013, 21:32
I say we hit the trail no later than 12:00. That way it gives everyone time to get there and ready to march on. That work for you guys?

Sounds like a plan to me...

nyhiker50
03-21-2013, 21:58
Could you at least let us know a state or a general location? That way I can start to make up my mind.

McRat
03-21-2013, 22:27
Still trying to escape. Hoping to make it - but it is looking like Saturday here.

civetta
03-22-2013, 04:29
Have fun everybody! Stay warm and take lots of pics.

Tripod
03-22-2013, 05:28
noon works for me. I had to shovel out this morning so i running a bit latter than planned

Nighthauk
03-22-2013, 08:17
Could you at least let us know a state or a general location? That way I can start to make up my mind.

The location is Stratton pond in Wardsboro Vt. The trail head is off of Stratton-Arlington rd which is directly off Rt 100. We will be driving in as far as we can park the cars do about a mile road trek to the trail head. From there it should be pretty clear where we go. Call if you need help. Check the signup list for numbers.

Yukon
03-24-2013, 10:25
Sorry I had to bail guys, I just didn't have confidence in my setup. I literally had gotten the hammock, tarp, and under quilt a couple days before the trip and never had a chance to "dial" it in. I didn't expect it to be so cold and windy, and I just had a gut feeling that I wasn't prepared.

Hope you guys had a great time, and look forward to the report :)

affreeman
03-24-2013, 15:18
Ha! Jokes on me I guess!

I was thinking I might be able to make this trip after all seeing that my calendar is kind of open next week, and now I finally figure out the dates were changed!

Tobit
03-24-2013, 15:20
I was thinking I might be able to make this trip after all seeing that my calendar is kind of open next week, and now I finally figure out the dates were changed!
Don't worry, you weren't the only one. :lol: Tim sent me a PM Thursday night asking if I was going this weekend. I wasn't able to check my PM's til today as I went to the Whites this weekend. I got busy this month and had been planning on the 29th, I was never able to keep up with this thread. Oh well.

Nighthauk
03-24-2013, 16:45
Sorry guys for the confusion. I should've changed the thread or at least the title. My Bad!!! Plug into your schedules though for June 7-9th for the next NEHHA Group car camping event.

raiffnuke
03-24-2013, 17:11
Sorry I had to bail guys, I just didn't have confidence in my setup. I literally had gotten the hammock, tarp, and under quilt a couple days before the trip and never had a chance to "dial" it in. I didn't expect it to be so cold and windy, and I just had a gut feeling that I wasn't prepared.

I thought you said you were coming back on Saturday. What happened?

Yukon
03-24-2013, 17:49
I thought you said you were coming back on Saturday. What happened?

I thought the weather was going to be better, but it didn't change much. I need a night out in the yard to make sure my underquilt is adjusted right and what not. I really needed a better top quilt, not my 30* sleeping bag, as well. I thought I had packed an extra blanket, but I was wrong...I can blame that on my hasty packing that morning. Just wasn't ready for the weather this weekend unfortunately...

Stargaze
03-24-2013, 18:15
Pictures, video's or this trip never happened. Sorry we couldn't make it, we were looking forward to another trip with the gang.

J-T
03-24-2013, 19:28
You made the right call....better safe than sorry.

J-T
03-24-2013, 19:30
That was a great weekend~!! sorry to those who missed it. Hope to catch you in June. I'll post my pictures shortly....just enjoying a frosty trying to kill the pain, LOL.....I'll post a link to my pics once I have them uploaded to FB.... I'll also post on the NEHHA FB page
JT

J-T
03-24-2013, 19:34
PS- Nighthauk/raiffnuke- Thanks for putting this trip together....

That was a great weekend~!! sorry to those who missed it. Hope to catch you in June. I'll post my pictures shortly....just enjoying a frosty trying to kill the pain, LOL.....I'll post a link to my pics once I have them uploaded to FB.... I'll also post on the NEHHA FB page
JT

Nighthauk
03-24-2013, 19:42
Pictures, video's or this trip never happened. Sorry we couldn't make it, we were looking forward to another trip with the gang.
Don't you worry about that. I am working on the video as we speak. It was a great time and I am sorry you guys couldn't make it. Think JUNE 7-9th

JT

PS- Nighthauk/raiffnuke- Thanks for putting this trip together....

J-T it was truly my pleasure. I had so much fun this weekend getting to know everyone and of course building the fire. Glad you came and I had a chance to hang with you. Look for a trip report that I will make either tonight or tomorrow and you can post the pictures there!

Tobit
03-24-2013, 19:45
How much snow did you guys have in Vermont? At one of my secret camping spots up in the Whites, we had 2-feet in spots. I was not a happy camper, pun intended, and did not end up staying the night.

raiffnuke
03-24-2013, 20:01
How much snow did you guys have in Vermont? At one of my secret camping spots up in the Whites, we had 2-feet in spots. I was not a happy camper, pun intended, and did not end up staying the night.

Most places it was knee to thigh deep. Watch out for those pesky Spruce Traps! :D

1960HikerDude
03-24-2013, 20:41
Thanks Nighthauk for putting this trip together and extending an invite to me. I learned a lot this weekend. Not the least of which is the delightful combination of hot chocolate and Amoretto:)

Nighthauk
03-24-2013, 21:08
Tobit like Raiffnuke said we probably had about 3' in most places. We did have to worry about post holing. Right hiker dude. Lol.

Hiker no problem. I am glad that you had a great time and look forward to the next hang.

Tobit
03-24-2013, 23:30
Tobit like Raiffnuke said we probably had about 3' in most places.
Ok, so I guess I am a wuss for bailing after finding only 2-feet although I was solo. :rolleyes:

vtrek
03-25-2013, 05:35
Beautiful area, great weather, great (big) fire, great people, just an all around great hang! Keep on truckin' joe!
Thanks nighthauk for the invite!
vtrek

J-T
03-25-2013, 08:19
Here's a link to my pictures on facebook..... if anyone knows how to post over to the NEHHA FB page, go for it....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.462699127136818.1073741829.100001902043059&type=1&l=0f73674683

J-T
03-25-2013, 08:24
I figured it out....lol

Here's a link to my pictures on facebook..... if anyone knows how to post over to the NEHHA FB page, go for it....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.462699127136818.1073741829.100001902043059&type=1&l=0f73674683

SamyK
03-25-2013, 08:56
It was nice meeting everyone. Good time had. Thanks for putting it together,

Nighthauk
03-25-2013, 10:25
I am glad that you had a great time. I enjoyed getting to know you and Marty and I look forward to more hangs. Stayed tuned to June 7-9th hang. It will be a car camping event and we will have the location picked out shortly.

Nighthauk
03-25-2013, 14:24
Trail report is up.

civetta
03-25-2013, 20:33
I figured it out....lol

Great pics. I like the panini kabob!

J-T
03-28-2013, 09:53
Great pics. I like the panini kabob!

thanks...it was delicious~!! but a little well done...lol