PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail

jgrant0553
01-25-2013, 21:29
Going to hike the Long Trail in May, was just wondering if anyone had done any hanging in that area. Planning on hanging for the entire trip if possible, any tips or hints would be great.

Thanks

lilprincess
01-25-2013, 23:06
For the few miles I've been on it, the hanging was great. Someday I'll do the whole thing. Have fun!

DSM_Stephen
01-30-2013, 14:12
I'm 3 miles from it now and can't image many spots with bad hanging. Are you going under quilt in May? 2 Sleeping pads? I might be on the long trail then too.

raiffnuke
01-30-2013, 14:15
Yes, I think you can hang the entire length of this trail easily. Contact fellow HF members Yukon or LazyRiverRoad, they have both done end-to-ends of the LT.

There are a few of us in the area of the LT than may be able to help.

affreeman
01-30-2013, 14:32
If there is any criticism of the LT, it would be that there are too many trees, not too few. Hanging is easy, but you may find yourself wishing for fewer trees once in a while so you could enjoy a view now and again.

lazy river road
01-30-2013, 17:29
I hiked the Long Trail this summer and was able to hang the entire time at every shelter (except the ones where no tenting was allowed which I skipped over and btw you are now allowed to tent at Stranton Pond they have tent/hang sites). Any ways it took me 20 days, I hung all but three nights and that was simply because 2 nights I hiked in so late I was just super tired and to lazy to hang my rig and the other night I pulled in after dark as well and seconds after getting to the shelter it started poring rain. I was so tired it did not matter and I fell right asleep. It's an amazing trail. I hiked SOBO and really enjoyed it. The nice thing about hiking SOBO is you don't end in the North in the middle of no where. If your interested I can email you my gear list (But I went in August) and my schedule of what shelters I stayed in and what towns I stopped in. I would certainly suggest stopping at the Inn at the Long Trail its one of my favorite places. I took two zeros their I felt so at home. In the north their are some amazing views. Man I could probably go on forever about this trip I am jealous you get to do it I would totally do it again. Some advice I got tons but why listen to me the most important thing is simply Hike Your Own Hike and just have fun.

McRat
01-30-2013, 20:59
Just a head's up in case you are starting early in the month. Mud season in a state known as Vermud to many ATers can be formidable to the hiker and damaging to the trail.

Several peaks along the LT are legally closed to hikers mid-April 'til Friday, May 24th.

The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.

Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak.
(http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60)

Waalkes
01-30-2013, 21:18
I've only hung about 30 miles of the trail south to north, but seems like endless options as others said. Ran into a thru hiker doing it for the second time. He was sporting a Hennessy and kilt. Said there were no issues hanging the entire route.

zanaridg
01-30-2013, 21:46
Shouldn't have any problem. Hiked the portion of the Long Trail that coincides with the AT on AT thru-hike in 2011. I have also hiked the northern section, but on a different trip, but did not hammock. Sometimes on the AT when the shelters were empty I'd hang inside the shelter. It was fun trying to do that. There are lots of trees in Vermont. Enjoy!

Coffee
01-30-2013, 22:10
2nd the check for the mud and the bugs. I was through there in August one year (great swimming to be had) on the AT parts, and the northern 80 miles in October. A couple had canoes you could paddle. Also worth it. Definitely don't be in a rush.

Great hanging to be had. You can camp in some of the ski warming huts. Well worth it for the view.

There is one in VT and I can't remember where that is a privately owned cabin off a side trial with a deck on top that looked like a couple rednecks built on a Saturday with a case of beer. The views there were hard to beat.

Yukon
01-31-2013, 07:02
It will be a muddy, and buggy trip in May...especially buggy in late May going into June. And as previously mentioned, there will be peaks that are legally closed until after Memorial Day. If you can hike later in the season I'd highly recommend that, especially if you could swing a September trip. Late summer to autumn on the Long Trail is just beautiful...

shrineclown
01-31-2013, 09:35
I would concur with Yukon on timing. The guide is a fabulous tool for planning and accurate. Be sure to help the GMC by buying one. If you are not going for speed, plan in the vista trails to break up the green tunnel. Not an option in May, a lot of them, as already mentioned. Just a couple of favorites...Glastonbury Fire Tower,Deer's Leap, Killington Peak and Camel's Hump. Awww, just do them all! Years ago I did a Souther during foliage and it was fantastic. I was fortunate to beat the snow on the trip; it can be iffy that time of year if we are snow lucky for making time. You would want to start in the north for the fall and follow the foliage south. Need heavier gear, I had some five degree nights on that trip. Reverse you would find the colors past by the time you get mid trail. Have fun..wax on....water proof boots in May unless you like wet feet for several hundred miles.

bear bag hanger
01-31-2013, 10:54
I hiked the Long Trail in 2006 and hung my hammock every night. No problems what so ever.

jgrant0553
02-22-2013, 15:52
Yea I was not aware of the mud and trails being closed in May. So I have changed my trip and will be thru hiking the Shalotwee Trace trail in KY. It's close to home and a little less traveled, the Long Trail will just have to wait. Thanks for all your helpful insights.

leshka
06-30-2014, 15:17
I hiked the Long Trail this summer and was able to hang the entire time at every shelter (except the ones where no tenting was allowed which I skipped over and btw you are now allowed to tent at Stranton Pond they have tent/hang sites). Any ways it took me 20 days, I hung all but three nights and that was simply because 2 nights I hiked in so late I was just super tired and to lazy to hang my rig and the other night I pulled in after dark as well and seconds after getting to the shelter it started poring rain. I was so tired it did not matter and I fell right asleep. It's an amazing trail. I hiked SOBO and really enjoyed it. The nice thing about hiking SOBO is you don't end in the North in the middle of no where. If your interested I can email you my gear list (But I went in August) and my schedule of what shelters I stayed in and what towns I stopped in. I would certainly suggest stopping at the Inn at the Long Trail its one of my favorite places. I took two zeros their I felt so at home. In the north their are some amazing views. Man I could probably go on forever about this trip I am jealous you get to do it I would totally do it again. Some advice I got tons but why listen to me the most important thing is simply Hike Your Own Hike and just have fun.

Lazy river road, if you have that information handy and you can email it to me, I would greatly appreciate that!