PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Alberta>Somewhere Stealthy>February??

snidetripod
01-25-2013, 23:28
Hello, just trying to see if anyone in the Alberta region of Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, would be interested in a stealthy :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: hang sometime in Feb. It would be mid week and towards the middle of the month. I was thinking maybe somewhere east of Edmonton, there are a few tracts of crown land that are fairly large; or maybe in Elk Island there is a winter group site that is a good hike in and no nead for stealth. Just post your feedback if interested, and maybe we can all decide on a local.

Sincerely .... Snide Tripod

P.S. Is there a Hammock group here in Alberta :unsure:, or is everyone just kind of solo at the moment. If not, we should start one. :shades:

Barlutti
01-25-2013, 23:42
sure, form an Alberta group after I move west.... I like this idea though, I could be convinced to come back for a visit if we have enough interest.

HangingKayaker
01-26-2013, 06:15
Good idea. The group area at Elk Island may not be the best though, depending on how many might show up. I've hung there a couple of times. The area is open space suited for tents. What trees are there are limited and they are small and tight.
I'd definitely be interested. Keep us posted.

snidetripod
01-26-2013, 09:55
I thought so, I have not been in there for quite some time. I think Blackfoot or Ministik may be good choices then. I'll keep an eye out next week for possible locations. Hope everyone has a GPS.

snidetripod
01-28-2013, 17:16
So I think that I have found a good place to do this hang. All I need to do now is confirm the dates with my schedule and it's a go. I will post in this thread the details as they present themselves. Thanks. I hope more interest is shown. Maybe there just aren't enough hangers out west here in Alberta and surrounding area!!:rolleyes:

cdn_wolf
02-03-2013, 13:07
I have great experiences hammocking on Crown Land. Southwest of Sundre and west of Chain Lakes. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,18071.0.html Alberta has a wealth of incredible nature experiences. I would be very interested in getting involved in a group hang. There are some fellows in the V-strom community that might be interested as well. On the following link click "Public Land Use Zones" on the drop down menu for the map to get info for Alberta Crown Land.
http://srd.alberta.ca/MapsPhotosPublications/Maps/Default.aspx
Looking forward to hanging with some of you in the coming months.

Phil

Barlutti
02-03-2013, 14:22
glad to see there is a little interest in this. Wonder if we would get more takers in warmer weather ??

snidetripod
02-04-2013, 08:35
Warm Weather. Psha... LOL! Thanks for the links. They will be a great resource for me to plan this and future hangs.

PineMartyn
02-04-2013, 08:48
Hello, just trying to see if anyone in the Alberta region of Canada, or anywhere else for that matter, would be interested in a stealthy :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: hang sometime in Feb. [...] I was thinking maybe somewhere east of Edmonton, there are a few tracts of crown land that are fairly large; or maybe in Elk Island there is a winter group site that is a good hike in and no nead for stealth.

I'm puzzled by something, why would stealth be required for camping on Crown land? Unless the Crown land in question is specifically designated as not for camping because of some sort of special regulatory overlay, you should be able to camp on it without having to be "sneaky".

My wife and I have camped on Crown lands for years and do so almost exclusively as we find it more enjoyable than camping in parks (for a variety of reasons), but this is the first I've ever heard of one having to be sneaky about it. Are the provincial Crown land regulations in Alberta so different from other parts of the country in this respect?

- Martin

snidetripod
02-04-2013, 18:35
I'm puzzled by something, why would stealth be required for camping on Crown land? Unless the Crown land in question is specifically designated as not for camping because of some sort of special regulatory overlay, you should be able to camp on it without having to be "sneaky".

My wife and I have camped on Crown lands for years and do so almost exclusively as we find it more enjoyable than camping in parks (for a variety of reasons), but this is the first I've ever heard of one having to be sneaky about it. Are the provincial Crown land regulations in Alberta so different from other parts of the country in this respect?

- Martin

I was not aware that it was cool to camp on crown lands. Great. The place I was thinking of however, does not approve of overnight camping. With the aforementioned maps, I should be able to narrow down a great spot to do a legal hang.

Thanks for the info, and happy hanging.

snidetripod
02-04-2013, 18:56
So, I have been checking around and found this:
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=P40.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779756162&display=html

Basically, you can camp on any public land for fourteen days and then you have to leave. I believe the Bird Sanctuary is privately owned, so we would either need permission or it would have to be a stealth hang. However, I will check more to see if in fact it is private or public land.

Barlutti
02-04-2013, 19:05
ya that is the beauty of crown land, it's yours and mine to use if we want. Doubt I will have the funds to make it back for Feb, but if you get something going later on, around Easter I will be back for that. even so , still interested in location choice and dates , you never know what will happen ;)

PineMartyn
02-04-2013, 19:08
I was not aware that it was cool to camp on crown lands. Great.

I'm sure you're not alone in this. I've just started a thread on the subject of Crown land camping for hammockers who are interested in the subject. It includes links to some how-to videos I made on the subject of the legalities and etiquette of Crown land camping.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=932108#post932108

Hope this helps,
- Martin

snidetripod
02-05-2013, 10:25
Looking forward to getting something going in the summer here Barlutti. I hope you can make it. Thanks for the info PineMartyn.

I have located some crown land, but it is a good drive away from the Edmonton area. Maybe have to look at these places later in the year, for now it looks like Ministik is the place. Or blackfoot? I hear there are cougars around these parts, although on my treks I have never seen anything. I have however felt eyes watching me, might just be nerves.

I'll keep updating with dates and places people. Thanks!:laugh:

snidetripod
02-05-2013, 21:16
I was just over at Alberta Outdoorsman forum asking about Ministik being crown land. I was advised not to camp there for fear of becoming the next victim of the Ministik Witch. LOL.

snidetripod
02-08-2013, 19:11
I have been given the go ahead to take three days off at the end of Feb. beginning of Mar. so I am going to plan the dates for these three days. I am thinking that Cooking Lake Blackfoot staging area would be the best bet as I am still unsure of camping regulations within the bird sanctuary. If anyone knows a good spot to camp in Blackfoot please post it and we can decide where to do this hang. There are a few geocaches in the area, so I hope everyone can bring along their gpsr's.
Food....... Shall we all just assume that we should bring our own meals, or do we wanna get a pot luck going for one of the nights? Ideas? I am excited to meet all my fellow Alberta hangers and look forward to sharing in some great experiences. Thanks all...

Sincerely . . . Snide Tripod :cool: :cool: :cool:

snidetripod
02-08-2013, 19:40
This is the sign posted at one of the staging areas of Ministik Bird Sanctuary.
http://www.tri-county.ab.ca/Gallery/...stik-Rules.jpg

It clearly states no camping. I have also contacted officials at Cooking Lake Blackfoot and it seems they are also on the no camping bandwagon. There is however crown land north of the city that might prove fruitful. It is called Holmes Crossing PLU. Here is a link to their website:
http://srd.alberta.ca/RecreationPublicUse/RecreationOnPublicLand/PublicLandUseZones/HolmesCrossingPLUZ.aspx

This may be our best bet short of heading to the forestry trunk road.

Does anyoe have Ideas?

snidetripod
02-22-2013, 18:36
So, I guess there are not too many people that are interested in getting a hang together, or maybe there just are not enough of us up here. At any rate, I decided to just turn this thread into an Possible Hang thread for Alberta. If anyone wants to get a campout going, or if you have fpund a cool location and don't mind sharing it, then post it in here. Cool. Hope we can get something together soon.

HangingKayaker
02-23-2013, 09:47
Hey Snide
Not sure if you've seen this map of Crown Land in Alberta? There really isn't anything around us here in Edmonton. Usually i involves a bit of a drive.

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access

snidetripod
02-23-2013, 10:04
Ya, I have seen the maps. I just wanted to get a hang together. Thought it would be a great time. I think i may just do some solo trips into the sanctuary, leave less of a footprint. Should be a good time. Take care. Hope to hang with ya soon.

stieviebie
04-14-2013, 14:52
Hi snide tripod,
I would be interested in a group hang when the weather warms up a bit ( yep I'm a sissy:) )

If I may make a suggestion the alberta wildland parks are a good place to go camping.
Very rudimental (parking lot, portapotty, and a signboard) you walk into the park find a good spot and camp, very peacefull.

Last fall I when twice to fort Assiniboine Sandhills park, lots of birds deer and yes even black bears in that area.

Look into these parks they are about 2:30 to 3:00 north of edmonton and well worth for a weekend trip if you ask me.

Since you are a GPS user here you go.
Maps & Directions
Lat: 54.3892120611 Long: -114.60770862

Stieviebie

snidetripod
04-14-2013, 19:13
Will do Stieviebie. Thanks for the info, and it will be great to get a summer hang going round here.

stieviebie
04-17-2013, 18:12
Snidetripod, if you do setup a spring/summer hang/camp let me know.
If I'm free ill come along so I can learn something of more experienced hangers.

Stieviebie

snidetripod
04-18-2013, 20:49
Snidetripod, if you do setup a spring/summer hang/camp let me know.
If I'm free ill come along so I can learn something of more experienced hangers.

Stieviebie

Sorry Stieviebie, I had no idea you were from Edmonton. Do you work next Wed. Thurs. By that I mean 24 25 of april. I am planning a simple overnighter maybe for one of those nights into Ministik. You are more than welcome to come along. Let me know.
As to being an experienced hanger, well I have only been hanging for a little more than a year. I have progressed through pads, into underquilts, and from cheap Canadian Tire tarps into a beauty from Warbonnet. I don't know it all, just what works for me. You need to get some gear and make it work for you. From wbat I have seen, everyones rig is different. Anyhow, let me know if you are interested.

stieviebie
04-19-2013, 12:38
Thanks for the offer but Sorry, I can't make it.
But I just bought a newly/used underquilt from a forum member, hopefully it will be here late next week,so I'll be testing that out for sure.(first underquilt)

Ill let you know when I go out on a overnight trip.
I'll have to check that minister place out.

Stieviebie

Newfie
10-22-2013, 15:50
Hi gang Newfie here, just reviewing your post from earlier this year with regards to a group getting together for a hang in the Alberta area. I am interested in getting a group together as well. I'm a newbie to hanging and would love to tap into everyone knowledge. I'm out of Red Deer so I'm flexible. The sites suggested around the Sundrie area look great. Keep the communication going.

mm53bar
04-22-2014, 21:12
Hey everyone - just wanted to let you know that there's talk of getting something going around the Edmonton area again, probably sometime after the May long weekend. Fort Assiniboine Sandhills Wildland Provincial Park (http://www.albertaparks.ca/fort-assiniboine-sandhills.aspx) is looking like the destination.

You can find the thread at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?91758-Hangers-in-Edmonton-Ab.