PDA

View Full Version : Top-quilt-question...

Duncan
01-13-2009, 15:54
or, to be more specific: underneath you and your topquilt...

What do you sleep on? Directly on the CFM or on a fleeceblanket or something?

I was not confinsed (how do you write that?) about the topquilt. But, I'm here, all alone in the Netherlands and the rest of the world sleeps with a topquilt so there could be a slide change that I am wrong :shades:

But I was thinking: In a sleepingbag you are lying, well, on the bag. But sleeping under the quilt. What are sleeping on than?
Tell me, tell me, tell me!

Duncan.

Cannibal
01-13-2009, 16:17
I sleep on the hammock fabric. I use an underquilt below to keep me warm; no pad.

Birdofprey
01-13-2009, 16:31
I sleep on top of a Lux large Thermarest that is about 3/4 inflated. The Thermarest slips inside a cheap, fleece "sleeping bag" that I found at WalMart for about $10 U.S.. Over me goes a Wiggy's Ultra Thule sleeping bag that I use like a quilt (with my feet inside the bottom pocket). This set up is very comfortable down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius).

For colder temperatures, I add a cocoon made from survival tubes (available at www.blizzardsurvival.com). The cocoon is merely 2 opened up survival tubes (one covers the bottom of the hammock, and the other covers the top (over the bug net in my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe). This set up is extremely comfortable down to 30 degrees F (I haven't tried it at colder temps yet).

Chrisp70
01-13-2009, 16:41
I get dirty and don't bath regulary:) I sleep on or in a silk sheet/bag liner. Keeps my hammock clean. In warm weather thats all I use.

koaloha05
01-15-2009, 13:22
Directly on the hammock material. I pack a layer of light/silk weight base ware to sleep in. Relatively clean and dry vs. the cloths worn when not sleeping. More or less keeps the hammock & quilt "clean". And if needed another layer for non sleeping time.

Doctari
01-15-2009, 14:36
Down to 30 degrees, directly on the hammock material, with an underquilt under that & an overquilt over me.
In colder temps, & since I got the JRB NS, I only do this "Just in case": I have an army surplus CCF pad, cut to 3/4 length, between me & the hammock. I like the surplus pad as it is somewhat denser than the blue civilian ones. I carry the CCF pad as a "sit on / take a nap on" pad anyway, so it does double duty in colder weather.
Over all of this is a nylon DIY hammock sock, sort of a bivy sack over the hammock & me.

FYI: I do not take naps in the hammock when hiking since a "30 minute nap" in the hammock turned into a 4.25 hour nap last year. ;)

MacEntyre
01-17-2009, 07:16
I sleep on the hammock material because it's too much trouble trying to put something under me in a bottom entry Hennessey. Even with the #2 Mod Bugnet Zipper, though, I don't know why I would put something under me, in the hammock.

I like sleeping in a hammock with quilts. I've gained one pound a year for 30 years, and don't like to struggle with a sleeping bag!

In winter, my Speer Frog Sac, zipped up just enough to make a foot pocket, goes on top of me, and a poncho liner quilt goes on top of that. Earlier this month I was cozy at 20 degF. In summer, I use the poncho liner and leave the Frog Sac at home.

- MacEntyre

pedro
01-17-2009, 07:44
I sleep on closed cell foam pad in a segmented pad extender from Speer hammocks. In colder weather, I add an exped downmat 7 short. I'm just finishing making an underquilt so that I can extend my temperature range. I'm using a hammock sock and a No-Sniveller style top quilt with synthetic insulation.

Peter_pan
01-17-2009, 08:37
I lay right on the hammock, 'cause the UQ takes care of the bottom....Simple, hassle free, and warm.

Pan

Duncan
01-17-2009, 16:16
Allright,

Thanks for all the answers.

Let me explain a bit more. When I go winterhiking the temperatures can drop to 0 - 5 deg F.
So, should a pad work (wich I have, a Exped DLX) or should I get an UQ?
Which can get very expensive because we don't know that in the Netherlands...

And what about weight?

Cheers,
Duncan.

Take-a-knee
01-17-2009, 17:00
Allright,

Thanks for all the answers.

Let me explain a bit more. When I go winterhiking the temperatures can drop to 0 - 5 deg F.
So, should a pad work (wich I have, a Exped DLX) or should I get an UQ?
Which can get very expensive because we don't know that in the Netherlands...

And what about weight?

Cheers,
Duncan.

At zero F I'd say both an UQ and a pad. Since you have a Hennessy the obvious choice is a JRB Nest. The Exped pad is an inflatable? Those together should take you to zero with no problem.

Duncan
01-18-2009, 04:51
At zero F I'd say both an UQ and a pad. Since you have a Hennessy the obvious choice is a JRB Nest. The Exped pad is an inflatable? Those together should take you to zero with no problem.

I also have a Clark NA. And I'm waiting for my Hennessy to get back from the other side of the pond from 2Q where I got a #2 mod...
So I have two top-loaders.

Is there a "one-size-fits-all" UQ?

Duncan.

MacEntyre
01-18-2009, 06:44
I'd like to get a Potomac UQ from Kickass Quilts (http://www.kickassquilts.com/Products.html) for my Hennessey. The regular size weighs about 28 ounces.

Take-a-knee
01-18-2009, 09:53
I also have a Clark NA. And I'm waiting for my Hennessy to get back from the other side of the pond from 2Q where I got a #2 mod...
So I have two top-loaders.

Duncan.

The JRB Nest is one size only, most hangers carry a foam pad to sit on like other hikers. This pad is typically placed under the legs on a cold night. I'm 5'8" and I shortened my Nest to 60" and I use the pad under my legs. I added the down from the removed leg area compartments to the torso area. I should add that my Nest is the older model with 1.5in baffles, current production is 1.9in with overstuff. Wearing long underwear, dry socks and an army polypro top and JRB HOOD and using a No Sniveler as a topquilt I can make it down to 20 F with that set up. I'm starting to get "comfortably cool" from below at that temp.

Take-a-knee
01-18-2009, 09:57
I'd like to get a Potomac UQ from Kickass Quilts (http://www.kickassquilts.com/Products.html) for my Hennessey. The regular size weighs about 28 ounces.

You'll have to make it yourself, Patrick no longer has time to make them. I MAY sell mine, I haven't made up my mind. A poster here named Bearpaw had his wife make him one and he seems pleased with his. He used it with a pad in an Eno hammock in some fairly cold temps recently.

Ramblinrev
01-18-2009, 10:03
If you can make your way through the We Don't sew... vid series, you should be able to make a KAQ as long as you understand how to use synth insulation. There is plenty of information on that already on the forums. Making a synth quilt is no where near as complex as a down quilt because you don't have the baffles to mess with. It is basically a _BIG_ pillow with attachment points. Easy to make and the directions are somewhere on line.

angrysparrow
01-18-2009, 10:08
Easy to make and the directions are somewhere on line.

DIY KAQ Instructions can be found here (http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq).

MacEntyre
01-18-2009, 11:06
I MAY sell mine, I haven't made up my mind.
Let me know, if you find you don't already have a buyer at that time.

Thanks for the link to KAQ instructions, Angry! Somehow I missed the critical information on Patrick's web site.

At $120 just for materials to make a KAQ, the discounted JRB Nest (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hennessy%20Style%20Under%20Quilts.htm) looks like a great deal.

- MacEntyre

Take-a-knee
01-18-2009, 14:18
Let me know, if you find you don't already have a buyer at that time.

Thanks for the link to KAQ instructions, Angry! Somehow I missed the critical information on Patrick's web site.

At $120 just for materials to make a KAQ, the discounted JRB Nest (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hennessy%20Style%20Under%20Quilts.htm) looks like a great deal.

- MacEntyre

I think 70 to 80 bucks would make a KAQ it you used 1.1 DWR. Momentum 90 would drive the price up. Patrick suggests modifying his design to suit your needs. I would make it 60in long (2/3 length). Climashield comes in 60in wide batts, this would create minimal waste and save money. The KAQ is a good design but it works better with the JRB suspension system in my experience.