PDA

View Full Version : I am getting Spyware on homepage of H/F

cavediver2
01-14-2009, 00:25
I am not trying to scare anyone away so don't shoot me for this
just would like to figure it out.

Well for the first time today actualy this morning I had my virus scanner/spyware scanner pop a window saying that this site had spy ware so I did some snooping around and found this.

Edit

I posted what I found and it made a link so I took all the other garbage off of it so it would not make a link so here it is.

googleads.g.doubleclick dot net

Then tonight I get it as well again after I had taken it out so I have taken it out and tried it again it seems that it is on the home page as this is were my FIREFOX opens too as it should be there is no other site to open a browser too. but it got back in again.

But I thought I would post this and see if any of you computer guru's can tell me why it's giving me an alert.

I am using PC-cillin by trend micro and this is the first time I have ever got this.

GrizzlyAdams
01-14-2009, 00:34
I think that could be related to the ads we have on the HF pages. Since you're a contributing member you can turn those off. Might try that and see if you still get the alerts.

Grizz

Brian
01-14-2009, 00:36
CD,

I think that it's related to a tracking cookie due to the google maps link directly on the homepage. Not all of the hits that PC-cillin claims are nasty/evil/malisious are that (well, evil perhaps). It's probably just a tracking cookie that google uses to track your every click, not to steal your identity or SSN. Again, I may be wrong, but that is what it appears to be.

Everyone who wants to stay free from Google's data collecting ways may want to visit the following link, which zero's out all of your google IP tracking (bookmark it and then visit it every 2 weeks while browsing a google page).

http://www.imilly.com/google-cookie.htm

angrysparrow
01-14-2009, 00:38
1 - HF's server doesn't contain any spyware.
2 - There are banner ads on the homepage, and some of them are served by DoubleClick.
3 - While the banner ads don't contain active malware, it's possible that one might try to set a cookie in your browser. That isn't actually spyware, but it can give a false detection. You can 'disable 3rd party cookies' in your browser to prevent this.
4 - The contents of the banner ads aren't under HF's control.

cavediver2
01-14-2009, 00:49
1 - HF's server doesn't contain any spyware.
2 - There are banner ads on the homepage, and some of them are served by DoubleClick.
3 - While the banner ads don't contain active malware, it's possible that one might try to set a cookie in your browser. That isn't actually spyware, but it can give a false detection. You can 'disable 3rd party cookies' in your browser to prevent this.
4 - The contents of the banner ads aren't under HF's control.

Sound to me like it's nothing bad just first time I have ever seen that pop up and had me wondering. I will try to figure out how to disable 3rd party cookies in firefox tomorrow I am to tired to mess with it now and would probably mess something else up.

thanks to all that posted to this.

Ramblinrev
01-14-2009, 01:05
Tools > Options > Privacy> Cookies

If the check box for "accept third party cookies" is checked.... uncheck it.

If it is not checked then third party cookies are not being accepted.

cavediver2
01-14-2009, 10:15
Tools > Options > Privacy> Cookies

If the check box for "accept third party cookies" is checked.... uncheck it.

If it is not checked then third party cookies are not being accepted.

it was it aint now

thanks

dually
01-14-2009, 12:06
Some browsers allow more options …

Tools > Options > Privacy> Advanced > Override Automatic cookie handling > then --several options your choice ---

I click > prompt when treading new water that way I always know ‘who is up to what’

John

Rain Man
01-14-2009, 12:26
Some browsers allow more options …

Tools > Options > Privacy> Advanced > Override Automatic cookie handling > then --several options your choice ---

Would help if you guys would identify which browser you are giving instructions for.

Rain Man

Ramblinrev
01-14-2009, 12:28
My post was specifically for Firefox as that is what was being used in the original post.

dually
01-14-2009, 17:31
Rain Man,
My OS is Microsoft XP Home Edition, web browser is Microsoft IE version 6.

Mods,
For what its worth…
Each time I log on HF ebay>dot<com tries to give me a cookie. I figured that gave HF recognition for whatever reason.
I have had what I call ‘undesired cookies’ from google Earth but not the google Earth thread here on HF.

et al fwiw,
When my PC starts to bog down or takes forever to load a web page I purge all cookies, web files and history. >Tools >Internet Options >General >delete-options.
Some sites may require that I re-input screen name and/or password >IF< I clicked ‘remember me’ when that account was first established, otherwise, no ill effect.

John