PDA

View Full Version : Spring Mahha 2013 Pig roast idea

2Questions
01-30-2013, 19:32
I would like to get information from anyone who knows anything about pig roasts. Obviously, someone coming to the Spring Mahha and has an interest in checking it out would be terrific. I've been to one or two, the pork is great and it seems to feed alot of people...quickly. Pine Grove Furnace State Park has given me the OK. Looking for some help determining if this is feasible and what costs are involved....thanks. 2Q

Acer
01-30-2013, 19:49
Shug,,where are you? Need your professional imput!! :)

Gumbo
01-30-2013, 19:52
A pig pickin' is a fine thing indeed! Maybe I'll look at the cost of plane tickets again.:scared:

Black Foot
01-31-2013, 14:34
There are usually catering companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Here is one I found in the Chambersburg area:

CM Pig Out Catering (http://www.cmpigoutcatering.com)

I can give them a call if you'd like

Ramblinrev
01-31-2013, 14:45
The "quick" nature of feeding a lot of people is deceptive. It is my understanding the roaster is going for several hours before the pig is done. The equipment is rather pricy and bulky usually being built on a trailer to be towed behind a pick up. I've seen the last stages a couple of times but if I understood properly the pig was roaster for quite a while.

Chris K
01-31-2013, 14:52
mmm....pig roast

http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/images/pig-roast.jpg

My wedding was held in a field by a beer garden. The reception was a few yards away under a pavilion. We had a pig roast. I recall the sound of the motorized rotisserie during the ceremony..all throughout the sermon and giving the vows...a faint "rrrraoughhh..rrraoughhh" sound over and over...can even hear it on the video..good times.

We had it catered out. I can see if I can find the caterers name but that was 16 years ago..

Yojimbo
01-31-2013, 14:55
I've been to many over the years but never actually done one myself. I love them. The most recent was at a Scout Camporee and the Troop stayed up all night in shifts to keep the pig cooking. Fortunately they had a member who had the equipment. Unfortunately I don't know who that is, wasn't my Troop.

I found this info:
Krugers Rental Service
1625 Ritner Hwy
Carlisle, PA 17013
There website mentions Pig Roasters
http://www.krugersrentals.com/index.php?act=page&id=10701&str=pig%20roast

2Questions
01-31-2013, 14:57
The "quick" nature of feeding a lot of people is deceptive. It is my understanding the roaster is going for several hours before the pig is done. The equipment is rather pricy and bulky usually being built on a trailer to be towed behind a pick up. I've seen the last stages a couple of times but if I understood properly the pig was roaster for quite a while.

...ZQ here....Yes, we realize that the pig will be roasting for most of the day. We have the pavilion reserved for the day, and the pig can be roasting there. When time to eat, the pig will be off the bone and ready to eat...Yum, Yum! It is yet to be determined if we will have a pig roast. Tim thought it might be fun, but he wants to detemine if the cost will outway the "fun".
I thought I remembered someone commenting here on HF about a friend or family member that does pig roasts that might be able to do one for the MAHHA. We would be interested in the specifics if there is such a person.:)

2Questions
01-31-2013, 14:59
There are usually catering companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Here is one I found in the Chambersburg area:

CM Pig Out Catering (http://www.cmpigoutcatering.com)

I can give them a call if you'd like

I've been to many over the years but never actually done one myself. I love them. The most recent was at a Scout Camporee and the Troop stayed up all night in shifts to keep the pig cooking. Fortunately they had a member who had the equipment. Unfortunately I don't know who that is, wasn't my Troop.

I found this info:
Krugers Rental Service
1625 Ritner Hwy
Carlisle, PA 17013
There website mentions Pig Roasters
http://www.krugersrentals.com/index.php?act=page&id=10701&str=pig%20roast

Thanks! We will check them out! ZQ

Yojimbo
01-31-2013, 15:16
I forgot to add. I would be more than happy to help do the cooking. Sitting around all day tending the fire is something I love to do. Set up the hammock stand nearby. Sounds perfect.

Talked to a coworker whose family does catering around NoVa. He says the use a China Box for roasting pigs or other meats. Here is a web site that sells them as well as a lot of useful information for the cooking. I'll keep looking for rental possibilities. http://www.lacajachina.com/default.asp

Dutch
01-31-2013, 15:28
I love the idea. If we don't have someone in the group I vote to have it catered. Raffle money will pay for it.

Ramblinrev
01-31-2013, 15:32
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but something to possibly consider... Pig roasts are extremely aromatic. That means it may well attract visitors. I'm not talking about 4 legged critters. What is the vision that would be in operation in such an event? A donation is requested of the hangers to cover cost. Would visitors be welcomed in as guests or would they be subject to the donation request? I'm not suggesting one is right or wrong. But it is somewhat different than a pot luck picnic kind of thing. It could be important to have every one on the same page.

2Questions
01-31-2013, 15:46
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but something to possibly consider... Pig roasts are extremely aromatic. That means it may well attract visitors. I'm not talking about 4 legged critters. What is the vision that would be in operation in such an event? A donation is requested of the hangers to cover cost. Would visitors be welcomed in as guests or would they be subject to the donation request? I'm not suggesting one is right or wrong. But it is somewhat different than a pot luck picnic kind of thing. It could be important to have every one on the same page.

ZQ here...You could never rain on anyone's parade!:) It is always good to consider all aspects. The pig roast would be for the HF's MAHHA group only. PGFST has had several private groups having a pig roast. We would have a sign on the pavilion, so anyone walking by would see it is a private gathering.

The cost of the roast would be incorporated in with the raffle donation. Again, the cost of having a pig roast will be a big factor in the decision to have one. We probably would not cook any hamburgers, unless there is anyone that didn't want the pork...we could have a count ahead of time, and only cook a small number of hamburgers...and veggie burgers. We could still cook the hotdogs if everyone thought that was a good idea. If the food is as it has been at these MAHHA's...there will be plenty of other food to eat!

This is still in the planning stages...so any input...positive or negative is very welcome! Thanks!

Gumbo
01-31-2013, 15:49
So no name tag = No Pork 4U! Easy way to keep track once the food starts being passed out.

Did I hear right that last year you guys had about 100 people there?

PapaSmurf
01-31-2013, 15:54
I would recommend Pork Butts for pulled pork sandwiches, instead of whole hog.
More even cooking, easy to shred quickly, easier to serve, no carcus to deal with afterward.

---- Edit ----
My numbers were off. These are the updated numbers.
Here in Ohio a 12-14 lb butts will go for approx $2.09/lb = $27.17 each
At around 1/3 lb (cooked weight) per person, you'd be able to feed about 20 people with each one.
So for say 100 people..... 5 butts at $27.17 each = $135.85

How many people do we expect?
If you like, I can talk to my butt guy. :laugh:
What if the pork were donated.... say by Dream Hammock?

2Questions
01-31-2013, 16:01
So no name tag = No Pork 4U! Easy way to keep track once the food starts being passed out.

Did I hear right that last year you guys had about 100 people there?

Good idea....the name tag would be good, but I'm not sure everyone will have a name tag...some might decide to come at the last minute. When the raffle tickets are purchased, if you don't have a name tag, a special tag could be given so the server knows you are part of the MAHHA group. [O]tter is bringing the name tags, maybe he could bring blank ones that could have the name hand written on at the time.

Testing my memory....I beleive we had about 100 at the 2011 spring MAHHA. Last year we had about 80...I think! Someone correct me if I am wrong...Tim might when he gets home from work! ZQ

2Questions
01-31-2013, 16:03
I would recommend Pork Butts for pulled pork sandwiches, instead of whole hog.
More even cooking, easy to shred quickly, easier to serve, no carcus to deal with afterward.
Here in Ohio a 12-14lb butt will go for approx $2.00/lb = $26.00 each
At around 1/3 lb per person, you'd be able to feed about 40 people with each one.

How many people do we expect?
If you like, I can talk to my butt guy. :laugh:
What if the pork were donated.... say by Dream hammock?

Great suggestion....sure, check with your butt guy!
Would the Pork Butts cook on site? Hope so...part of the fun!

Not sure of the number...if we go by previous attendance...80-100

ZQ

PapaSmurf
01-31-2013, 16:07
See my updated post for adjusted numbers.
Yea, just like whole hog, but not as visually impressive.

Yojimbo
01-31-2013, 16:17
I found this at a local (to me) equipment rental place

GRILL, 3X6 CHARCOAL TOW ROTISSERIE

Daily: $110.00
PIGS OVER 200LBS MAY PRESENT A CHALLENGE WITH THIS GRILL
2" BALL (NO LIGHTS REQUIRED)
PARTY ITEM = PICK UP FRIDAY 3PM AND RETURN MONDAY BY 9AM FOR A ONE DAY RENTAL

PS. I have a hitch.

PapaSmurf
01-31-2013, 16:28
Would also need a sizable supply of local, clean (poison ivy free) firewood or lots of charcoal.

2Questions
01-31-2013, 16:33
Would also need a sizable supply of local, clean (poison ivy free) firewood or lots of charcoal.

I guess we are looking at two options....

1. We, the group, do the work and supply all that is needed.

2. We pay someone to come and do the work and supply all that is needed.

Thoughts......

ZQ

2Questions
01-31-2013, 16:35
Also, We would need the pig or butts to be roasted in a contained unit...not on the ground...by whoever does the roasting.

ZQ

PapaSmurf
01-31-2013, 16:38
Also, We would need the pig or butts to be roasted in a contained unit...not on the ground...by whoever does the roasting.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the actual planning, cooking, etc.
My Scout Troop just always made me the butt guy, so I got that handled if it's decided we go that way.

2Questions
01-31-2013, 16:48
I'm afraid I don't know much about the actual planning, cooking, etc.
My Scout Troop just always made me the butt guy, so I got that handled if it's decided we go that way.

If you are the butt guy...does that mean that you would be doing the roasting...or arranging with the pros to do the roasting?

My thoughts...unless there is someone that really loves doing the work of these pig/butt roasts...a.k.a...Shug wannabe:)....we should get a pro, so the rest of us can enjoy the weekend fellowshipping/relaxing and hiking.

Artjrk...are you suggesting that you would like to be the roaster?

Again...what does everyone think?

ZQ

PapaSmurf
01-31-2013, 16:57
I'm saying I always had the job of buying, trimming, rubbing, wrapping and delivering the meat, ready to roast.
I'd be more than happy to handle that duty for the group.

We would still need someone with BBQ smarts (either pro or volunteer) to handle the cooking/smoking.

2Questions
01-31-2013, 17:00
I'm saying I always had the job of buying, trimming, rubbing, wrapping and delivering the meat, ready to roast.
I'd be more than happy to handle that duty for the group.

We would still need someone with BBQ smarts (either pro or volunteer) to handle the cooking/smoking.

Wow...nice of you...a step in one direction.

Now, we shall see what direction we end up going.

Thanks PapaSmurf!

ZQ

Redpath
01-31-2013, 17:23
It's bad Karma and form to turn people away from a pig roast...:scared: The pork butts idea is a good one, especially if you are doing it yourself. I raised a hog and roasted it in a cinder block oven, and it's a lot of work to do a big hog, I camped out next to it all night...It's fun though! Wish I would have had hammock savvy then...Where is this party going to be? I would help out if I can make it...

2Questions
01-31-2013, 17:29
It's bad Karma and form to turn people away from a pig roast...:scared: The pork butts idea is a good one, especially if you are doing it yourself. I raised a hog and roasted it in a cinder block oven, and it's a lot of work to do a big hog, I camped out next to it all night...It's fun though! Wish I would have had hammock savvy then...Where is this party going to be? I would help out if I can make it...

A few miles east of you! Pine Grove Furnace State Park in PA.

April 26-28th

ZQ

Redpath
01-31-2013, 17:32
Hard to tell right now if I could get away, but I had another idea, How about roasting a smaller pig (easier to handle) and a bunch of butts too. I think it adds something to have the whole hog...I like the idea of renting a big rotisserie roaster you could have the pig turning in there and the butts surrounding it getting dripped on. Slowly smoked falling off the bone. mmmm

2Questions
01-31-2013, 17:40
Hard to tell right now if I could get away, but I had another idea, How about roasting a smaller pig (easier to handle) and a bunch of butts too. I think it adds something to have the whole hog...I like the idea of renting a big rotisserie roaster you could have the pig turning in there and the butts surrounding it getting dripped on. Slowly smoked falling off the bone. mmmm

Great idea....the ambiance of a roasting pig...with butts on the side!:)

ZQ

G.L.P.
01-31-2013, 17:43
i'v used smokers in the past but not on a big scale like this :eek:
i have a Bullet smoker it doesn't hold a lot of meat ...
redneck cooking is an art forum the best way to go about it in my view would be find someone with a smoker that can handle that volume of meat and can handle that volume of cooking
i know from using a small smoker the big ones can be tricky to keep at temp if you never used one before
i would say find someone on HF thats going that is seasoned in big smokers
or hire someone to do it... i know up my way once in a while local fire co. will do it for a price but not sure about that area and it's hit or miss .. or see what it would cost to hire Shug to come out

also another way to go about it is get pork butts and do it in crock pots... yes i know it's not "Smoked" but i have done this way before and it came out really good but we would need a few crock pots :rolleyes:
just my .01 .... :D

2Questions
01-31-2013, 17:51
i'v used smokers in the past but not on a big scale like this :eek:
i have a Bullet smoker it doesn't hold a lot of meat ...
redneck cooking is an art forum the best way to go about it in my view would be find someone with a smoker that can handle that volume of meat and can handle that volume of cooking
i know from using a small smoker the big ones can be tricky to keep at temp if you never used one before
i would say find someone on HF thats going that is seasoned in big smokers
or hire someone to do it... i know up my way once in a while local fire co. will do it for a price but not sure about that area and it's hit or miss .. or see what it would cost to hire Shug to come out

also another way to go about it is get pork butts and do it in crock pots... yes i know it's not "Smoked" but i have done this way before and it came out really good but we would need a few crock pots :rolleyes:
just my .01 .... :D

Thanks...all thoughts are welcome!:)

I wonder what it would cost to "hire"... Shug;) The down side....this hang would get too big...not enough trees for all the hammocks!!

ZQ

Acer
01-31-2013, 17:56
I was considering making this hang,,but contracted a trade show for this weekend so tied up with work again. :(

2Questions
01-31-2013, 18:00
I was considering making this hang,,but contracted a trade show for this weekend so tied up with work again. :(

:(...It would have been nice to meet you in person!

ZQ

Gumbo
01-31-2013, 18:13
Since I don't have a smoker, I usually make pulled pork in my crock pot. I add a touch of liquid smoke and it goes over pretty well. It seems to me that a dutch oven could replace a slow cooker recipe fairly easily. Just as a thought if you wanted to prepare it within the group rather than hiring someone.

One pork butt per DO would require 5 dutch ovens to feed 100 people.:scared:

nothermark
01-31-2013, 18:18
where's Shug when you need him? ;-))

Can you rent a big smoker without an operator? That might make the decision for you.

Yojimbo
01-31-2013, 19:42
I was looking further and could get a 3'x6' charcoal roaster on a trailer without the rotesserie for $90 for the weekend.

I was talking with a friend who has experience with this whole pig thing. He mentioned it may be easier to just do pig butts. Cutting up a whole pig is tricky and time consuming especially for a novice. He also suggested just getting a couple personal size smokers. Figuring that should be enough to cook about 3 butts to feed 80-100.

Im still trying to talk to my chef bro-in-law.

OldRagFreeze
01-31-2013, 20:17
Looks like I'll be making it at least one day and I'm an amateur smoker specializing in butts... They're super easy. Keep the smoker/grill at 225 F, add chips as needed, remove when internal temps hit 190 F, wrap and allow to rest for ~ 1 hour and you're set. :)

I can't guarantee I'll be there yet, but if all else fails anyone with a little grilling know how can pull off some great pulled pork, assuming the equipment holds a steady temp.

2Questions
01-31-2013, 22:06
What if the pork were donated.... say by Dream Hammock?

I totally missed this earlier...sorry! We saw it while Tim was looking at all the posts. Very generous of you. I was thinking about an idea earlier...PM coming. ZQ

2Questions
02-01-2013, 11:06
...ZQ here...OK...after doing some research this morning...it looks like it will be more economical and practical to follow PapaSmurf's suggestion for Pork Butts.

He has offered his experience with "buying, trimming, rubbing, wrapping and delivering the meat, ready to roast", as stated in post #25. In post #15, he gave estimates for amounts and prices.

We will need someone to lead the way with the roasting/smoking...including the equiptment. Someone want to take the ball and roll with this?? Do we use charcoal? What BBQ sauce will we use? I can get the sauce and rolls. All costs will be reimbursed with the raffle monies.

I need to check with PGFST to make sure, but we probably can do the butt cooking at the group camping site where all will be hanging. Unless, everyone doesn't want their gear smelling like roasting butt!:). We have the pavilion reserved for the entire day, so the roasting can be done there. It isn't far from the camping site.

As mentioned before...the pork will take the place of the hamburgers...a few can be cooked for those that don't want the pork. The veggie burgers will still be cooked. We can still cook the hotdogs if wanted.

Any questions, suggestions, post on this thread, or PM us.

Thanks!

OldRagFreeze
02-01-2013, 11:20
I'm thinking asking to go to a group hang for even one night the weekend of my first anniversary is a bad idea... But as I posted above, pork butts are really considered beginner's barbecue. Charcoal is best, preferably hardwood chunks. For barbecue sauce it'd be fun to have everyone bring their favorite. I prefer to add the sauce to individual sandwiches rather than the whole butt anyway.

I'd be shocked if someone wouldn't step up and feel comfortable taking it on. I really wish it could be me. :(

2Questions
02-01-2013, 11:21
I was looking further and could get a 3'x6' charcoal roaster on a trailer without the rotesserie for $90 for the weekend.

I was talking with a friend who has experience with this whole pig thing. He mentioned it may be easier to just do pig butts. Cutting up a whole pig is tricky and time consuming especially for a novice. He also suggested just getting a couple personal size smokers. Figuring that should be enough to cook about 3 butts to feed 80-100.

Im still trying to talk to my chef bro-in-law.

Agreed...looks like, if we do this...the butts have it!

2Questions
02-01-2013, 11:28
I'm thinking asking to go to a group hang for even one night the weekend of my first anniversary is a bad idea... But as I posted above, pork butts are really considered beginner's barbecue. Charcoal is best, preferably hardwood chunks. For barbecue sauce it'd be fun to have everyone bring their favorite. I prefer to add the sauce to individual sandwiches rather than the whole butt anyway.

Does she camp...there is a Family Campground just down the road. Maybe you could reserve a site with electricty, and instead of staying at the group area, you could spend the weekend with her and sleep at the campground. There are bathhouses there with showers! ZQ

OldRagFreeze
02-01-2013, 11:34
Does she camp...there is a Family Campground just down the road. Maybe you could reserve a site with electricty, and instead of staying at the group area, you could spend the weekend with her and sleep at the campground. There are bathhouses there with showers! ZQ

Alright, I'm gonna bite the bullet and ask tonight. She does camp, and actually loves to camp... Just not in cold temps or primitive sites. I think this may meet her criteria. :laugh:

I'm assuming the pig roast/butt smoke is Saturday?

2Questions
02-01-2013, 11:45
Alright, I'm gonna bite the bullet and ask tonight. She does camp, and actually loves to camp... Just not in cold temps or primitive sites. I think this may meet her criteria. :laugh:

I'm assuming the pig roast/butt smoke is Saturday?

As crazy as it sounds...I have used a heater in my tent. We have a Pop up camper now, but I used to use a 9 X 9 tent...covered the netting with a fleece blanket...used an electric oil filled radiator, and it heated very nicely! I can handle cooler temps during the day..but sleeping, I need above 60:).

Of course, you might have to sleep inside with your wife! Tim sleeps outside in his hammock. We have been married 30+ years...he gets a much better nights sleep in his hammock...that is more important to me now!:) ZQ

OldRagFreeze
02-01-2013, 11:48
Ya she's warming up to the hammock idea, but for our car camping I'd guess she'll want me in the tent with her on her queen size air mattress. :lol:

I'm just happy she camps, and is OK with me disappearing for a weekend every month or so to backpack... I've got friends that aren't married who have less freedom with their girlfriends. She's a keeper. :)

In the event that I can't make it I think that anyone with good experience using charcoal would do fine for pork butts. I've had some really inconsistent grill temps (that's the hard part; keeping your grill at 225 F) on a few I've done due to wind and they turned out fine. It seems that as long as you pull them off no sooner than 190 F (later is OK though, I've done that a few times too) they turn out perfect. Briskets, ribs, pork tenderloins and the more expensive cuts tend to be more picky about temp.

The reality is that even if I did come whatever grill arrangement we worked out would be different from my own, so I'd be winging it anyway. Unless you can find someone who has their own large-scale smoking rig than anyone would be at the mercy of the equipment. I don't think there is much risk though.

Jazilla
02-01-2013, 11:49
We roasted a piggy at our Fall hang back in October. Did it up in a Cajun microwave, which is essentially a huge wood dutch oven. It came out great.

Yojimbo
02-01-2013, 13:29
Question how big of a roaster/smoker would we need? Estimate square footage. I've never done butts before so I have no idea.

OldRagFreeze
02-01-2013, 13:41
Question how big of a roaster/smoker would we need? Estimate square footage. I've never done butts before so I have no idea.

I think you'd just want to make sure they're not touching... They'd probably be fine if they are, but I'd avoid it anyway. Other than that you just need the space they take up, which isn't much. You cook them with the fat cap on top and I'd say a ~10 lb butt would probably need 1 square foot or less. Some will be a good bit less than that but that's probably a good estimate. You can expect about 60% yield in terms of finished product, and a good sandwich is about 1/3 lb... So 18 sandwiches per ten pound butt, roughly.

2Questions
02-01-2013, 14:00
I put in several calls this morning...learned some things... and decided on what I wrote in post #40. I just received a call from one of the companies I called and had to leave a message. The woman I spoke with leads me to check into this a little more...looks inviting to have them do a pig roast or pork butts. Either will be cooked off site and delivered to the campground. The pig would arrive intact and meat taken off bone as served. The butts would be delivered ready to eat. I need to do some PMing about the cost. I will post findings later.

I do like the idea of less work for us....having someone do the work and we enjoy, is definitely a plus. Cost will be the deciding factor.

Agree..disagree..anyone??

ZQ

Yojimbo
02-01-2013, 15:23
I love outdoor cooking. If we have the Pig brought in, it would just give me more time to cook up a fancier dessert. So I am good either way.

2Questions
02-01-2013, 15:55
We are leaning toward having a whole pig brought in already roasted...served right off the bone. We are still working out the details to know for sure. ZQ

Black Foot
02-01-2013, 19:45
I put in several calls this morning...learned some things... and decided on what I wrote in post #40. I just received a call from one of the companies I called and had to leave a message. The woman I spoke with leads me to check into this a little more...looks inviting to have them do a pig roast or pork butts. Either will be cooked off site and delivered to the campground. The pig would arrive intact and meat taken off bone as served. The butts would be delivered ready to eat. I need to do some PMing about the cost. I will post findings later.

I do like the idea of less work for us....having someone do the work and we enjoy, is definitely a plus. Cost will be the deciding factor.

Agree..disagree..anyone??

ZQ

I have been to some of these events they roast the pig off site and bring it on-site in the roaster. They usually take care of prepping, serving and such...if the cost is reasonable my vote is to go for it.

G.L.P.
02-01-2013, 21:59
We are leaning toward having a whole pig brought in already roasted...served right off the bone. We are still working out the details to know for sure. ZQ

i think thats the best bet ;)

Iafte
02-02-2013, 10:59
I'm making a large smoker so I can do a whole hog if I want, but I don't think it will be done in time. Best bet is to have someone bring it it.

For a whole hog, planning to eat around 6ish Saturday night, you would have to get it on and started early morning. See charts below for cooking times/resources needed.

Info Website (http://www.porkbeinspired.com/cookingmethod_wholehog.aspx)

I love me some BBQ...

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538629_3601866009726_1479346015_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p206x206/543649_3602649549314_961613082_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/305145_3603409688317_972774139_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p206x206/564619_3604844844195_161375112_n.jpg

2Questions
02-02-2013, 16:33
...ZQ here...We have decided to have a roasted pig brought to the pavilion for Saturday's supper, ready to serve off the bone. Having it roasted off site reduces the cost.

We will not be cooking the beef hamburgers. We will be cooking the veggie burgers. We will be cooking beef Kosher hotdogs for the children and anyone that doesn't want the pork.

As soon as I get a chance, I am going to start a new Official planning thread with the MAHHA details. When I do, this thread will be closed.

Downhill Trucker
02-02-2013, 18:20
Sounds awesome! Can we also start a thread for planning a pre or post hang hike? I know a couple folks did this last year and I wanted to be a part of it this year.

Can't wait for the hang and some yummy BBQ!!!

2Questions
02-02-2013, 18:32
Sounds awesome! Can we also start a thread for planning a pre or post hang hike? I know a couple folks did this last year and I wanted to be a part of it this year.

Can't wait for the hang and some yummy BBQ!!!

Someone can start a pre/post hike thread....but not me...I don't do overnight hikes!;) Tim will be doing a pre hike. In full discloser...I don't sleep in a hammock:)...Tim does...For 20+ years, I have been in a tent on an air mattress...this past July, we finally were able to purchase a pop-up camper...that is where I sleep now:D. My perspective has been elevated...just not in a hammock!:D ZQ

perrito
02-02-2013, 23:56
One thing to add-

Find out how they prepare the meat, in an oven or over a charcoal pit. I've had both and charcoal rules!

SoundMan
02-04-2013, 21:23
This just keeps getting better...hiking + hammocks + BBQ....

How are we ever gonna top this one??

Thanks for getting this together Donna/Tim!!

2Questions
02-06-2013, 06:09
...ZQ here....I have requested that this thread be closed. Here is the link to the Official planning thread I started. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67695