PDA

View Full Version : Clark is coming out

Bird Dog
03-02-2007, 22:39
In the April 2007 Southeast Edition of Backpacker Magazine there is an advertisement on page 115 for Clark Jungle Hammocks. Their last issue was the gear review. I have emailed them asking why there were no hammock reviews. BD

Just Jeff
03-03-2007, 08:15
They only review gear from their advertisers. And the reviews are always good b/c they don't want to bash their advertisers.

So maybe hammock makers aren't paying as much as their other advertisers?

Hehe...cynical. That's only a slight exaggeration, though. They've had a few scattered blurbs about hammocks here and there, but never a review that I know of.

slowhike
03-03-2007, 09:13
but hammocking is getting more popular all the time. maybe backpacker mag will catch-up some day:rolleyes:

Doctari
03-03-2007, 11:35
but hammocking is getting more popular all the time. maybe backpacker mag will catch-up some day:rolleyes:

Maybe, bear in mind that years after the UL "revolution" they still class "Ultra Light" as anything under 40 Lbs.

They featured: A "Hike" in the wilds of San Fransisco with a 4 page article, a large map, GPS co-ords, & glossy photos.

My prediction: Backpacker will revew hammocks no sooner than fall of the year 2107. "Made of that NEWFANGLED Sil Nylon"

(BTW, if you didn't notice, I dislike Backpacker mag. :eek: )

Doctari.

Coffee
03-03-2007, 12:31
I just dislike places that give only positive reviews. What's the point of reviewing things if they are always good. Eventually they are bound to test something that just plain does not work. Then they should say so.

That's why I usually stick to BGT or user reviews on websites. I think there is still some filtering going on at BGT, but I have read some bad reviews there.

seuss
03-03-2007, 12:38
In the April 2007 Southeast Edition of Backpacker Magazine there is an advertisement on page 115 for Clark Jungle Hammocks. Their last issue was the gear review. I have emailed them asking why there were no hammock reviews. BD

Page 87 of the Backbreaker magazine gear review issue includes this:

"Find additional shelter options - including hammocks and some larger four-person tents - at GearFinder, the web's richest database of outdoor gear."

Lawson and Crazy Creek. That's it. And G-d help you if actually tried to use gearfinder to specifically look for hammocks, the only way I could find those was by going through the list of manufacturers.

If we ever expect backbreaker to cover camping hammocks in their magazine we're going to have to develop one with an integral gps charger.

Coffee
03-03-2007, 13:01
Or a big solar panel.

headchange4u
03-03-2007, 13:34
I have never heard of anyone who owns a Lawson hammock.

Coffee
03-03-2007, 14:17
Having never really heard of the Lawson ones I had to do a little searching

It's also light weight, weighing only 4.25 lbs. Users don't have to carry added bulky weight such as ground tarps and sleeping pad. Blue ridge camping hammocks are a leader in the three season tent category.

Check out their website (http://www.lawsonhammock.com/). They call it a tent.

But hey it was featured in Soldier of Fortune Mag, so it must be nice.

Bird Dog
03-05-2007, 02:07
And......they have a camo version...I wonder if NEO will give up his for a new "camo pattern"? BD

Bird Dog
03-05-2007, 02:08
Does that four pounds include the stand in the picture too? :D BD