PDA

View Full Version : Molly Mac Gear Box vs Jeff's Gear Hammock from JRB

potneck
02-01-2013, 20:21
Wondered if anyone could share some insight on the strengths/weaknesses of the MM Gear Box & Jeff's Gear Hammock

fallkniven
02-01-2013, 21:01
I really like my MM gear box. When I get to camp, that's the first thing that goes up, and I can unload my pack into it. Throw the stuff sacks as I empty them. Very handy.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3iqaKSkGmK8/UQV7xVzhvUI/AAAAAAAAUrw/4_eVxqq1NvQ/s750/DSC_2397.JPG

MacEntyre
02-01-2013, 22:15
The biggest difference is that the silnylon Gear Box is a miniature MMG Hammock Sock with SEEP... meaning it has an overlapping top cover. That is what allows Fallkniven to hang it outside his tarp.

Nice hut, Fallkniven!

- MacEntyre

potneck
02-04-2013, 20:42
I really like my MM gear box. When I get to camp, that's the first thing that goes up, and I can unload my pack into it. Throw the stuff sacks as I empty them. Very handy.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3iqaKSkGmK8/UQV7xVzhvUI/AAAAAAAAUrw/4_eVxqq1NvQ/s750/DSC_2397.JPG

Thanks for the reply. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words and that is a great pic. A MM gear box is going to be my next gear purchase.

KSC
02-04-2013, 21:42
Thanks for the reply. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words and that is a great pic. A MM gear box is going to be my next gear purchase.

You won't be sorry. I love mine!

Loki
02-05-2013, 10:19
I am enjoying the MMGB too.

Currently, I'm testing it's use as a sleep-system "stuff-sack", or so to speak...

Basically, I take the hammock, with both TQ and UQ already installed, various flashlights and other gear I usually have in my hammock once it's been deployed, pillow, etc. and lay them into the MMGB exactly as they will be once deployed (all attached and connected).

Then I wrap the SEEP around and secure it with a strap or two. Finally- stuff it all into the bottom of my pack - compressing it as the rest of the pack contents are loaded.

Once arriving at a site, I'm placing the MMGB on the ground right between my two chosen trees (its silnylon- so waterproof), then opening it up and attaching the hammock to my already installed straps and whoopies.
Done.
My entire sleep system is hanging and ready to use.

At this point the MMGB is now Empty - so I can hang it where it is convenient and use it as intended.

I used to use a small gear hammock but now using the MMGB.
Thanks to MacEntyre for a really useful piece of gear!

MacEntyre
02-06-2013, 18:04
That's a clever way to dual-purpose your gear, Loki.

:thumbup:

- MacEntyre