PDA

View Full Version : Hammock sickness??

carlyy88
02-04-2013, 20:52
I just got a Clark Jungle Hammock. However, when I tried to lay in it for more than an hour I got pretty sick, it lasted for almost two days. I don't know if it is motion sickness from the hammock, it wasn't too windy, or if it's because of the chemicals used or what I was just wondering if anyone would know the cause? Or has experienced something similar?

gunner76
02-04-2013, 20:55
Try some Dramamine or similar meds and see if that helps

breyman
02-04-2013, 20:56
Wow, I've never heard of that. Sorry to hear you ended up sick.

I don't suppose it could have been a coincidence? What kind of symptoms did you have? Flu-like? Stomach related? Something else? Had you been in another hammock before with good results?

carlyy88
02-04-2013, 21:01
I have an ENO hammock I've slept in with absolutely no problem. I don't know if it was because I was zipped inside of it or what but that's the only difference I can think of. The only symptom I had was I felt motion sick and got a headache which lasted for about two days.

Bubba
02-04-2013, 21:03
It could be motion sickness if you have a sensitive inner ear. When I first started I did not get sick per se but I could feel sort of a very mild motion sickness. I do get sick on rides so I figured that was the cause. I eventually go used to the hammock motion and of course it does not bother me anymore.

FLRider
02-04-2013, 21:06
I have an ENO hammock I've slept in with absolutely no problem. I don't know if it was because I was zipped inside of it or what but that's the only difference I can think of. The only symptom I had was I felt motion sick and got a headache which lasted for about two days.

That actually sounds a lot like the symptoms associated with a particularly bad migraine. Did you have any kind of "tunnel vision" or grey spots appearing in your field of vision (similar to when you stand up too quickly after squatting for a long period)? If so, that may be due to a bad migraine, not the hammock.

Otherwise, Dramamine (as suggested above) may wind up being your friend. Also, you can hand-wash most hammocks (not sure about the Clarks, but they have a rep as being bombproof, so probably) in cold water and mild detergent. Hang it to dry. That should get rid of any chemicals that might be adhering to the hammock fabric.

Hope it helps!

creativeKayt
02-04-2013, 22:42
Wow! Sorry to hear you've had to deal with that. Bummer.
I hope you get it figured out soon.
:eek:

Beast 71
02-04-2013, 23:23
I got the cold that's going around and the oddest thing was my first symptom was dizziness, then head ache, after that it went to my chest then it acted like a normal cold. It didn't start normally though! I hope it passes.

Boomer
02-04-2013, 23:25
I had the flu for a couple of weeks. I got vertigo when I layed down, due to an inner ear infection.

But, you can get vertigo sometimes if you're laying down and what your ear is telling you is different than what your eyes are seeing. Most often happens on a boat, but for some people it's a car; why not a hammock?

bear bag hanger
02-04-2013, 23:38
I'm guessing this was a brand new fresh out of the box Clark? If so I'd guess you got a little outgassing from the fabric. Sometime new nylon objects need a day or two of airing out. I remember my 2nd Clark had that "new" smell to it. I set it up for a couple days and then it was fine. Just to be sure, you didn't treat it with any kind of bug repellent did you?

Mr.Tattoo
02-04-2013, 23:44
The only time I feel sick is when I have to get out of my Hammock :lol: I hope you feel better...

Law Dawg (ret)
02-05-2013, 00:06
I got a mild case of the dizzys the first few times in my hammock. Recovered from it pretty fast and now it is no problem. Might want to work on side sleeping and try the Epley maneuver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver).

JohnSawyer
02-05-2013, 02:31
Most of my hammocks have side tie-outs that are shock corded. They open the hammock up and have the side effect of dampening the sway...

I hope it was just coincidence... I can't imagine NOT sleeping in my hammock!

John

Bubba
02-05-2013, 07:21
I have read that Clarks promote more of an in line lay. Since you were fine in an ENO perhaps your position in the Clark was not quite as flat and it strained you neck and shoulders without you realizing it?

Pipsissewa
02-05-2013, 08:03
This is from a healthy living website:

Chemicals are used to make fibers suitable for spinning and weaving.

A formaldehyde product is often applied to prevent shrinkage. This product is applied with heat so it is trapped in the fiber permanently.

Petrochemical dyes, which pollute waterways, are used for color.

Chemicals are added to make clothing softer, wrinkle-free, fire-retardant, moth-repellant and stain-resistant.

Commonly used chemicals include volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and dioxin-producing bleach.

Nylon and polyester are made from petrochemicals, whose production creates nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas that is 310 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Rayon is made from wood pulp that has been treated with chemicals, including caustic soda and sulphuric acid.

Dye fixatives used in fabrics often come from heavy metals and pollute water systems.

Acrylic fabrics are polycrylonitriles, which may be carcinogenic.

Clothing and fabric that is treated with flame-retardant chemicals, such as children's pajamas, emit formaldehyde gas.

This is not to criticize Clarks. This is an inherent issue with nylon and other man-made fabrics. I suggest you hand wash your hammock in the tub and hang to dry. Or, at the very least, hang the hammock (not in the sun) for a few days to off-gas before you sleep in it again.

That being said, your sickness could have been caused by something else, including motion sickness. Either way, I bet you'll end up loving your hammock once you spend more time in it. Most everybody does.

Best of luck to you! :D

OneClick
02-05-2013, 08:29
Yeah I got something like that once but never experienced it again.

See this post ~~> Nausea from hammock? (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59227)

I'm guessing it was allergies or the way I slept, maybe my head was too low.

Mountnman
02-05-2013, 08:43
Can you wash the hammock to rid it of any chemicals. That would at least narrow down what may have caused it.

the_drake_man
04-14-2013, 20:22
I have read people suggest the motion sickness medicine for the headaches but has anyone else tried the medicine and did it work? I am having similar issues with my hammock. Its great until I wake up about an hour later with a dizzy type headache. I get car sick sometimes but it seems to go away after I get out of the car. This seems to last a while longer. I have never tried the medicine before does it have any side affects such as making you drousy?

Black Chrome
04-14-2013, 20:36
Hopefully you can get it figured out quickly TDM. Linsie has some Dramamine that you can borrow if you need it. :) I don't want to see you give up on the hammock thing already.

swankfly
04-14-2013, 20:39
Interesting, my guess is something besides motion sickness. I come from a career on the sea and have seen the worst cases clear up within a couple hours once on dry land...

the_drake_man
04-14-2013, 21:19
I'm definitely gonna try washing it as well.

SwedeMix
04-15-2013, 01:36
Yeah, I had that problem in the beginning too. Felt as if everything was still swaying a couple days after I got out of the hammock, had trouble walking and everything. I just started to babystep into it after the initial discomfort went away, layed down for 5-10-15 mins at a time and suddenly it just didn't feel weird anymore!

So, my 2 cents is to keep practising. But don't fall asleep the first few times, easier said than done, I know, but just try to take it step by step. When you start too feel the "vertigo" appear, just get out in time and try again the next day. It took a fair amount of exercise before it went away for me, but now I can hang for over 12 hours with no problem at all! :laugh:

Good luck!

Cheers / SwedeMix