PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Spring MAHHA Hike In Planning Thread

Downhill Trucker
02-05-2013, 16:57
If there is already a thread on this, please ignore my ignorance! If not, let's get some ideas cooking! I have hiked a bit through that area and have all the AT maps and guidebooks for the area, so I'm more than willing to help with some of the planning.

Just trying to get an idea of who is interested, for how many days, and what kind of mileage you like to do. I'm open for anything...

Two Tents
02-05-2013, 19:53
I'd like to hike NOBO out of MAHHA for 5-6 days. Just sayin, that is what I would like.

Downhill Trucker
02-05-2013, 20:30
I like the idea of heading NOBO out of the hang. Not sure if I can do 5 days tho, but possibly.

doogie
02-06-2013, 07:36
I have been thinking of hiking up from Caledonia State Park into the MAHHA. I have not done that stretch, but it looks like an easy overnight.

Porkroll
02-06-2013, 11:27
In definitely interested in a NOBO out of the MAHHA Spring Hang. 1 to 5 days works for me, as I picked vacation specifically for that. Ideally I'd like to have the hike end Friday.

QiWiz
02-06-2013, 14:54
I am planning to do a post-hang hike. I've been told that NOBO may be the more interesting direction to go.

I have to be in Baltimore on Wednesday night, May 1. I would like to hike NOBO until sometime that Wed afternoon or evening, at which point I would either need to get back to PGFSP to my vehicle, or end the hike at my vehicle that had been shuttled previously.

So . . . looks like I can go NOBO for a 3-nighter (Sun, Mon, Tue nights). If anyone wants to do the same, we could work out the shuttle details so that we both have a way to get to our vehicles. We could certainly share trail with folks going NOBO for fewer or more nights on trail.

Downhill Trucker
02-07-2013, 04:39
Looking at the terrain, if we hike NOBO out of the hang we will have to hike the 16 mile flat stretch of the Cumberland Valley. I didn't think it was that bad but there is no camping or official water for that stretch so it will affect logistics for sure. 2 miles NOBO PGF state park is an excellent overlook with a hidden campsite that can accommodate many hangers. Just throwing out some ideas, I'm open for 5 mile days or 20. Doesn't matter to me.

SOBO (or NOBO if we pre- hike) is a lot more scenic (IMHO) and has better hang sites.

Keep the ideas coming though! We still have a while to plan. From the maps I have, it looks like we are pretty much stuck hiking on the AT if we go NOBO. SOBO would be through Michaux Forest which has tons of spur trails and probably great hang sites.

Porkroll
02-13-2013, 19:24
I have to say I am open to a NOB or SOBO, either would work.

Black Foot
02-19-2013, 08:53
Dan and I are thinking about hiking SOBO into Pine Grove from Boiling Springs starting on Thursday. NOBO from Caledonia is probably a nicer hike but we have done that section.

MML
02-20-2013, 16:44
I am up for a nobo out of MAHHA.
I was thinking about 4 days. But I may have to cut it to 3, all depends on work schedule.
I have already hiked nobo into mahha, so hiking North out of Pine Grove would be the cats meow for me.

Porkroll
02-24-2013, 20:28
I have to back out of the plan to hike after the Spring MAHHA.

Demeter
03-16-2013, 09:26
I have jury duty all of April, but if I can get excused that Thursday and Friday I would like to do a hike in NOBO.

I am involved in a backpacking meet-up group and have had a lot of interest in hanging from ground-dwellers, so may post this for our group as a small backpack/hammock interest meetup.

If I can't get excused from duty, then I will have to wait until the last minute and will not post a trip, so will be hiking alone. In that event, I would like to hike in with you guys. Has anyone lined up a ride back to the cars?

Two Tents
03-17-2013, 19:00
As of right now it does not look like my dog ben and I will be doing any hikes in or out of MAHHA. I just got out of the hospital this past Wednesday and have a way to go before I'll be up to doing any hikes. The doctors suspect I was bitten by something, most likely a spider. That bite led to a down hill chain of events which resulted in almost three weeks of not so nice hospital things. I feel much better and hope that somehow I'll make it to the hang part of MAHHA but that isn't for sure at this point either. I wish things were different but I'm happy to be alive and slowly on the mend. Peace, Two Tents and ben.

QiWiz
03-18-2013, 09:46
As of right now it does not look like my dog ben and I will be doing any hikes in or out of MAHHA. I just got out of the hospital this past Wednesday and have a way to go before I'll be up to doing any hikes. The doctors suspect I was bitten by something, most likely a spider. That bite led to a down hill chain of events which resulted in almost three weeks of not so nice hospital things. I feel much better and hope that somehow I'll make it to the hang part of MAHHA but that isn't for sure at this point either. I wish things were different but I'm happy to be alive and slowly on the mend. Peace, Two Tents and ben.

Get well soon and hope to see you at MAHHA, hiking or not.

I'm going to try to hike S on AT after MAHHA and will have Sun-Wed for that trail time (3 nights on trail); need to be in Baltimore on Wed night. If anyone wants to do some car shuttling with me to allow this, just contact me or talk to me at the MAHHA. We could figure out how far to go and where to leave the vehicle.

Demeter
03-22-2013, 08:06
Got out of Jury Duty for the hang!! Will be hiking in from Caledonia Thursday morning!!

Downhill Trucker
04-09-2013, 19:59
I know some folk are hiking into the hang, but QiWiz and I are hiking out of the hang and heading SOBO on the AT. Probably going to finish Wednesday sometime.

If you're interested in tagging along for this route, let me know. We still have to finalize the logistics, but we are both flexible on mileage and such. Looks like we already have a shuttle too!

SoundMan
04-18-2013, 20:20
I am repeating the hike from last year-

Thursday. Down to Caledonia early am and hike up to birch run shelter-10 easy miles

Friday. Hike down to pine grove - 10 easy miles - Attend MAHHA -

Saturday. Eat pig!!!

home Sunday early

I have PM'ed several of you that have indicated interest in the pre-hike. We can get shuttles sorted. I hope to be at PGF Wednesday night
and getting down to Caledonia Thursday. PM or hit this post if you are interested.