PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter at 501 shelter PA 2-16

Dutch
02-06-2013, 13:12
Couple of us are heading out to 501 shelter for an overnighter. We usually get there mid afternoon, cook steaks and tell lies. All are invited. We set up about 50 yards north of the shelter away from the caretakers house. This hang has easy access from Rt 501.

normis1
02-06-2013, 13:15
Hey Dutch - when are you guys going?

yooz85
02-06-2013, 13:16
Ill have to make it out there one of these days, havent hung with any fellow hangers yet!

doogie
02-06-2013, 14:34
Title of the post says the 16th....I'll have to check with the boss, but maybe. Is this the Applebee campsite?

jerzybears
02-06-2013, 18:26
Couple of us are heading out to 501 shelter for an overnighter. We usually get there mid afternoon, cook steaks and tell lies. All are invited. We set up about 50 yards north of the shelter away from the caretakers house. This hang has easy access from Rt 501.

We'll be there..:boggle:

Shewie
02-06-2013, 18:35
No chance of me making it :(

Cranky Bear
02-06-2013, 20:24
I may be able to make it, but not sure about work.

Dutch
02-06-2013, 23:23
Hey Dutch - when are you guys going?
It is the 16th. The title gets cut off on the home page.

Ill have to make it out there one of these days, havent hung with any fellow hangers yet!
This is a good one. Easy in and out for a single night.

Title of the post says the 16th....I'll have to check with the boss, but maybe. Is this the Applebee campsite?
I am not sure what the apple we campsite is, but from the shelter walk away from the house about fifty feet.

We'll be there..:boggle:
I think I owe you guys 4 Stingerz

No chance of me making it :(
Come on, I will meet you at the train station

I may be able to make it, but not sure about work.
That would be great if you can make it.

To all- this is a meat eating adventure.

gbs
02-07-2013, 06:39
I am new to the area, and to the hammock world. Where is this and is alcohol welcome?

biggcarl
02-07-2013, 07:56
That's the day of the sportsmens show in Oaks (just outside Philly). I have my father-in-law joining me that day.

I hate to miss breakfast at the diner with mom. Think brain think. I either have to dump him off early or move everything to Sunday. Must pack bag Friday night.

fishbait
02-07-2013, 13:16
Sounds like fun, I'll have to check with my wife to see if there is anything planned for that weekend.

Dutch
02-08-2013, 04:16
I am new to the area, and to the hammock world. Where is this and is alcohol welcome?
Alcohol is welcome. You can use my cooler:)

That's the day of the sportsmens show in Oaks (just outside Philly). I have my father-in-law joining me that day.

I hate to miss breakfast at the diner with mom. Think brain think. I either have to dump him off early or move everything to Sunday. Must pack bag Friday night.

I don't care who's schedule you rearrange as long as you make it.

Pj1008
02-08-2013, 07:28
I would really love to make it out to this one but it may just be a little cold for me. Ill keep an eye on the weather if lit looks like its going to be above freezing at night ill try to make it out. And if I can make ill probably be bringing a friend too. He is just getting into hanging now but refuses to join our forum. I keep telling him I can't teach him everything. Maybe a group hang will convert him.

G...Hawk
02-08-2013, 11:54
May be possible. If my new Burrow0* is ready in time.

Loved the NJWinterHang at 3*.

Been searching for camping in February
( unfortunately among ground-dwellers : "why do you need trees?" "to hang my hammock" "in the winter?" "yes".
You know that conversation ).

G

JollyGreen
02-08-2013, 17:27
Driving to Virginia this weekend to work, if it's a holiday weekend I might just drive back up for it.

Dutch
02-08-2013, 17:38
May be possible. If my new Burrow0* is ready in time.

Loved the NJWinterHang at 3*.

Been searching for camping in February
( unfortunately among ground-dwellers : "why do you need trees?" "to hang my hammock" "in the winter?" "yes".
You know that conversation ).

G

G It would be an honor to loan you a quilt. However tell stormcrow you want to make this hang and he will put a rush on it.

G.L.P.
02-09-2013, 04:22
hahah and i was just about to make a tread for this trip...
guess i need to check this sub forum more LOL

i'll dig the Dutch grill out of the shed and i'll see about bringing wood
i'll have my saw with me as well if we need to cut any
this is my makeup hang since i couldn't get to the winter hang this year

i might bring buns and brats this time... just to change it up :rolleyes:

Black Foot
02-09-2013, 09:53
I'm in...looking forward to it

I'll bring something to share - not sure what yet

BIG JEFF
02-09-2013, 10:08
Must be nice to be so close to the AT

G.L.P.
02-09-2013, 11:59
Must be nice to be so close to the AT

i know... i'm 10 min away :D

jerzybears
02-09-2013, 12:08
Midway in the am???;)

G...Hawk
02-09-2013, 14:27
G It would be an honor to loan you a quilt. However tell stormcrow you want to make this hang and he will put a rush on it.

Thanks Dutch, but I have a combo-IX-multi-layer-multi-season-TQ with additional down throws that worked in the past.

Ordered the Burrow0* after the NJWinterHang, in the end of January, there are many in line, so I can wait : Dream of the Burrow0* in February and hang in it in March.

( I was just crowing that I, too, will now have a Burrow0*.)

G

G...Hawk
02-09-2013, 15:57
How much snow did the 501 area of the AT get last night?

How far is the hangsite from parking ? North or South of trail ?

Here in NYC varied snow amounts; in Queens only about 10" with drifts, the other end of Long Island and CT and MA measured snow in feet.

Spent the morning and early afternoon shoveling sidewalks, driveway and neighbors' cars. NYC makes a weekend snowstorm a festival.

Feeling good after the hours of shoveling. Arthur and I love to shovel snow.

G

G.L.P.
02-10-2013, 01:00
How much snow did the 501 area of the AT get last night?

How far is the hangsite from parking ? North or South of trail ?

Here in NYC varied snow amounts; in Queens only about 10" with drifts, the other end of Long Island and CT and MA measured snow in feet.

Spent the morning and early afternoon shoveling sidewalks, driveway and neighbors' cars. NYC makes a weekend snowstorm a festival.

Feeling good after the hours of shoveling. Arthur and I love to shovel snow.

G

we didn't get that much here maybe 2-3 inch ... the parking area should be fine by next week since the caretakers need to get plowed out ..
the camping is only 50-60 yards from the parking area
and if you need help bringing your gear in i'll be more than happy to help buddy ;)

G.L.P.
02-10-2013, 01:02
oh yeah i talked to Uncle ray ray and i think he will be coming as well so we should have the entire crew this time :D

Dutch
02-10-2013, 10:24
Midway in the am???;)

Yeah I think it is a tradition now. Gives a good excuse to get up and out in the morning too.

G...Hawk
02-10-2013, 10:38
we didn't get that much here maybe 2-3 inch ... the parking area should be fine by next week since the caretakers need to get plowed out ..
the camping is only 50-60 yards from the parking area
and if you need help bringing your gear in i'll be more than happy to help buddy ;)

Thanks G.L.P.,
I won't need help. BobO/Scout78 has wanted to camp, he has had some recent limitations and this may be good for him.

Looking forward to this.

G

G.L.P.
02-10-2013, 12:40
Midway in the am???;)

can we do what we did on mothers day last year and tell them your our mom LOL :lol::lol:

biggcarl
02-10-2013, 19:33
Edited. Luckily realized I wasn't at the 501 before I hit submit.

jerzybears
02-10-2013, 20:57
can we do what we did on mothers day last year and tell them your our mom LOL :lol::lol:

That was hysterical!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

fishbait
02-11-2013, 11:46
Unfortunately I will not be able to make this. I'll see everyone at the Spring MAHHA, have fun.

uncle_ray_ray
02-11-2013, 14:03
oh yeah i talked to Uncle ray ray and i think he will be coming as well so we should have the entire crew this time :D

I'm definitely making this one! Miss you guys! Hope to see the Jersey Bears and all my good friends again! Making sure I bring my ear plugs this time, one of you guys (not to mention any names) but your wife knows who you are.... had a snorning contest that kept me up half the night!!!!! LOL!
What time are people arriving? I may try to get there a bit earlier this time.
G.L.P. .... directions please?? LOL!

G...Hawk
02-12-2013, 20:17
BobO / Scout78 will be joining the hang.

Anyone going to 501 on Friday ? We may, so the three hour drive doesn't eat up Saturday.

G

G.L.P.
02-13-2013, 00:50
I'm definitely making this one! Miss you guys! Hope to see the Jersey Bears and all my good friends again! Making sure I bring my ear plugs this time, one of you guys (not to mention any names) but your wife knows who you are.... had a snorning contest that kept me up half the night!!!!! LOL!
What time are people arriving? I may try to get there a bit earlier this time.
G.L.P. .... directions please?? LOL!

Directions are in your PM box My Friend ... :D

G.L.P.
02-13-2013, 00:51
Oh yeah ... I'll have a PIF for some lucky hanger this weekend
so someone will go away a happy hanger LOL

Cranky Bear
02-13-2013, 08:30
I'm still tryin but it's not looking good for me.

ferret
02-13-2013, 08:36
hmm.......

neo
02-13-2013, 08:51

:)i remember back in october 2003 i stayed at that shelter.i ordered a pizza on my cell phone.only shelter i have ever stayed at where i could get pizza delivered in my over 1800 miles of hiking to appalachian trail lol:cool:neo

G...Hawk
02-13-2013, 09:46
G.L.P.,

Will you PM the directions to me also ?

Thanks
G

Directions are in your PM box My Friend ... :D

G...Hawk
02-13-2013, 09:48
ferret,

hmm . . . . . . . . . yes

hmm.......

G

doogie
02-13-2013, 10:09
I'm still on the bubble, but I'm itching to try out my new DIY winter tarp

Bosman
02-13-2013, 10:11
Doh! I wish I could get in in this hang! I want to meet all you guys.

G.L.P.
02-14-2013, 01:54
G.L.P.,

Will you PM the directions to me also ?

Thanks
G

sure can buddy

G...Hawk
02-14-2013, 08:34
sure can buddy

Thanks G.L.P

G

biggcarl
02-14-2013, 10:42
Dutch
Da' Bears
GLP
Blackfoot
G Hawk
Uncle Ray Ray
Bob O/Scout 78 (is this one or two people?)

Just getting a head count as some trail magic may follow.

G...Hawk
02-14-2013, 12:07
Dutch
Da' Bears
GLP
Blackfoot
G Hawk
Uncle Ray Ray
Bob O/Scout 78 (is this one or two people?)

Just getting a head count as some trail magic may follow.

Bob O's trailname is Scout 78, he is 78yrs old, but looks like a happy boy when we are section hiking the AT.
He hiked often with the scouts when he was raising his family.

G
G...Hawk

Black Foot
02-14-2013, 12:21
Looking forward to getting outside....

Curious on what the group is planning in respects to dinner. Is everyone on their own or is the plan to coordinate something? I know Dutch mentioned grilling steaks :drool: should we bring a steak? - will someone have a grill to use? Should we bring a side dish to share?

I'm fine with whatever works for everyone, but I want to bring something to share if that's the way we want to go...

Dutch
02-14-2013, 12:46
Looking forward to getting outside....

Curious on what the group is planning in respects to dinner. Is everyone on their own or is the plan to coordinate something? I know Dutch mentioned grilling steaks :drool: should we bring a steak? - will someone have a grill to use? Should we bring a side dish to share?

I'm fine with whatever works for everyone, but I want to bring something to share if that's the way we want to go...

We have a nice big titanium grill that we throw over the fire pit. In general we all bring out own meat but there is usually enough to share. You don't want to be that poor sucker eating freezedried meals or hot dogs when everyone is eating steak. This is a 50 yard walk from the car so comforts are abound. BigCarl graces us with smoked cheeses and sausages. Avoid GLP's sausage though. I usually have a salad to compliment my steak and a bottle of wine will help you sleep through the snoring. In the morning we usually go to a diner for breakfast. So it is eat, drink, sleep, eat again.

biggcarl
02-14-2013, 12:57
Shug does breakfast from the hammock, we do breakfast from the diner.

doogie
02-14-2013, 13:20
We have a nice big titanium grill that we throw over the fire pit. In general we all bring out own meat but there is usually enough to share. You don't want to be that poor sucker eating freezedried meals or hot dogs when everyone is eating steak. This is a 50 yard walk from the car so comforts are abound. BigCarl graces us with smoked cheeses and sausages. Avoid GLP's sausage though. I usually have a salad to compliment my steak and a bottle of wine will help you sleep through the snoring. In the morning we usually go to a diner for breakfast. So it is eat, drink, sleep, eat again.

This sounds good, I think I'll put in extra effort to make it. BTW, will there be some Dutch ware available for purchase? I think my new tarp will need some hardware :)

Dutch
02-14-2013, 13:32
This sounds good, I think I'll put in extra effort to make it. BTW, will there be some Dutch ware available for purchase? I think my new tarp will need some hardware :)

This site is used so much by us that you can just pick what we have dropped the last time. I'm sure there is something in my trunk.

Dutch
02-14-2013, 16:00
I will have a new product at this hang. It is called the tarp tamer.

NarlocB
02-14-2013, 16:22
Would love to make trip up, but work has me scheduled to work all day doing network changes on the 16th.....

G...Hawk
02-14-2013, 19:07
The weather channel ( internet ) is showing at Pine Grove : Rain on Friday night for a number of hours.
Then snow showers for Saturday. Expect that might mean on / off.

At Grantville it is warmer = rain.
Tried to get a location in the mountains. Is Pine Grove close enough in elevation to 501 shelter ?

Those who live nearby, yes you G.L.P., any other local : what do you think ?
Will this mean rain or snow.

Snow is good !
Unless more than 6" and falling for the three hour drive home.

Rain, near freezing rain not doable. ( Yes, yes, . . . we do like to hike in the rain in warmer weather. )

Looking forward to a weather report.
Was planning to travel on Friday afternoon to avoid the snow on Saturday AM.

G

Dutch
02-15-2013, 02:23
I won't be getting there until Saturday afternoon. If there is rain we can retreat to the shelter. The elevation isn't much higher than pine grove. I would guess 1000 feet.

G.L.P.
02-15-2013, 02:49
my weather at my house is calling for a chance of snow in the morning on Sat
and just cloudy at night

jerzybears
02-15-2013, 09:50
We are so excited...I for one need the break from lesson plan writing. It can wait till Sunday.

G...Hawk
02-15-2013, 10:04
Thanks for the weather update.

According to WeatherChannel it is much improved : snow likely only a few hours. Not rain.

G

Cranky Bear
02-15-2013, 16:28
Sorry not gonna be able to make it to this one, here's hoping for next time.

uncle_ray_ray
02-15-2013, 17:33
my weather at my house is calling for a chance of snow in the morning on Sat
and just cloudy at night

I didn't hear them calling for any accumulation, so I'm still in. See you guys tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

jerzybears
02-15-2013, 18:33
I didn't hear them calling for any accumulation, so I'm still in. See you guys tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Cant wait to see you again, Ray!!:boggle:

G.L.P.
02-16-2013, 11:08
see you all in a few hours .... :D

doogie
02-16-2013, 11:28
see you all in a few hours .... :D
I should get there by 3:30