PDA

View Full Version : Summer Series UQ

Caveman
02-08-2013, 09:39
Well, I wanted a lighter more packable alternative for summer hiking, so I did some searching around and was very interested in the Summer Series quilts that Marty makes. It was just my luck that one of the guys I hang with from time to time (also a forum member) had one of the underquilts that he was looking to sell. Needless to say, I've got it now :)

First night I slept in it I had a pretty bad cold spot on my lower back and couldn't get it dialed in quite right. It only got down to 59*, so I knew I wasn't doing something right. The next day I had the wife come out and relax in the hammock while I made adjustments. Turns out that I didn't have the suspension tight enough so it was creating a pretty good size pocket of cold air up under me. After tightening things up and checking for gaps, I relieved her of her duties and we went about our day.

Last night I hit the hammock at around 2200 (52*)and slept like a baby until about 0445 when I woke up with a cold back again. I moved around a bit, but finally got up and went inside. The temp was now 36*, so I'm calling this one a success. The quilt is only rated to about 45* and I was in a t-shirt and shorts only. If I would have been in a fleece, I'm confident I would have been fine. Not to mention, I got this thing for summer hiking trips, and in Texas it doesn't get to 36* in the summer.

In conclusion, I think I'm going to spend some great nights with my new gear. Thanks again Wilderness Logics!

CooOkieCOOon
02-08-2013, 09:51
Awesome! Glad it's gonna be good for ya. :)

Mountnman
02-08-2013, 09:53
Congrats on your new UQ, most of the time when I get a cold spot I just have to do a little adjustment and I'm back to being warm. Sounds like a great piece of gear

flatline
02-08-2013, 09:53
you're gonna have a great time with your WLSSUQ!
Wilderness Logics Summer Series quilts are my favorite quilts.

tnvarmint
02-08-2013, 10:30
I cant wait to try mine out tomorrow. It will be a real test for sure. It is supposed to get down to 28*. I am thinking with the SS TQ/UQ and combination of a double layer hammock, Gossamer Gear pad, and proper clothing layers I should be ok. We shall see. I am bringing a fleece bag liner just in case.

Caveman
02-08-2013, 10:41
How far out are you going?

You will most likely be fine, but it's always a good idea to test when you can bail if need be. You are going to be pushing that top quilt pretty hard though. Be safe and have fun.

I cant wait to try mine out tomorrow. It will be a real test for sure. It is supposed to get down to 28*. I am thinking with the SS TQ/UQ and combination of a double layer hammock, Gossamer Gear pad, and proper clothing layers I should be ok. We shall see. I am bringing a fleece bag liner just in case.

dirtwheels
02-09-2013, 17:14
I have one and LOVE it, with an UC and space blanket I've used mine @ 23*.