PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Stand carrying capacity????

Coffeedrinker
02-12-2013, 03:02
Hello Everyone,

Now that the winter wind storms are abating, I'm anxious to get my Blackbird out again. I would like to construct a Turtle Stand so that I can have more hang time, but what weight load will it take? I"m 6'2" and 240 pounds.

Thanks,

Coffeedrinker
Vancouver Island

hppyfngy
02-12-2013, 10:51
I think you'd get a lot of responses in the TD build thread, but in short you should be fine.

I'm only 180# but I've had people 250-270# use my stands with no issues whatsoever.

The weakest link is in the joint where the ridge pole is put together. If you're concerned and building it as a backyard stand, you can use a solid length of pipe and not have a joint.

But back to the question, if you build it right your weight isn't a problem at all.

(please see instructions and disclaimer in my sig line...) :)

meanmoe
02-12-2013, 15:18
I've made a turtle dog stand with 2x3 tripods and a standard chain link fence top rail. It holds my 250# just fine.

dkurfiss
02-12-2013, 17:03
My brother came over and put his "lard/large" behind on mine (2x2 and fence rail top) and it held him fine. He is 6'4" and something over 320lb. When I pointed out my hammock was only rated for 250 he laughed and said "turn out the gargage light when you leave."

I woke him up the next morning.

old4hats
02-12-2013, 17:12
My 250ish pounds seem to make my TD stands very happy, no issues at all.

Coffeedrinker
02-12-2013, 19:54
Thanks everyone for your replies to my Turtle Stand weight load...I had been looking for information for some time.

Cheers,

Coffeedrinker.

olddog
02-12-2013, 23:27
My brother came over and put his "lard/large" behind on mine (2x2 and fence rail top) and it held him fine. He is 6'4" and something over 320lb. When I pointed out my hammock was only rated for 250 he laughed and said "turn out the gargage light when you leave."

A newly enlightened hammocker!

Pj1008
02-13-2013, 09:11
I'm right around 240 and my recently built turtle dog holds me just fine.

dkurfiss
02-13-2013, 09:48
A newly enlightened hammocker!

Yeah, his birthday was in Jan. I picked up a used ENO DN for him. He copied down materials and such to make himself a Turtle stand. His wife got him a tarp and bug net for his birthday. I think he is pretty much all set now. I have a PLUQ and a Walmart CCF pad he is going to use along with is sleeping bag.

We are suppose to head south in March for our annual brother/sister "run away" long weekend. We are meeting a couple of cousins in either SC or GA to do some camping, beer drinking, and general story telling. He really wanted a hammock for this weekend.

fishbait
02-13-2013, 09:54
My Turtle Lady stand was working great, right up to the point that the Paracord decided to stretch. Nothing like a long, slow glide to the floor, then the cord found the only split in the wood I didn't see, the loud crash and subsequent colorful language that ensued sent the dogs running. Up until that point the stand held my 200 lbs just fine. In short inspect the components carefully for flaws and don't use Paracord for lashings. The stand is going to be modified into a Turtle dog stand when I get around to it.

Brute1100
02-13-2013, 11:20
Just don't swing in it :) 80 lbs swinging brings it down, ask my friends kid, I couldn't get the words out of my mouth fast enough after he sat down about not swinging...

Other than that I have had 250+ lbs in it with no trouble...

Coffeedrinker
02-14-2013, 23:00
Just don't swing in it :) 80 lbs swinging brings it down, ask my friends kid, I couldn't get the words out of my mouth fast enough after he sat down about not swinging...

Other than that I have had 250+ lbs in it with no trouble...

Thanks Brute,

I want the stand for myself, and I'm a fairly cautious hanger...so NO swinging!

Coffeedrinker

Coffeedrinker
02-14-2013, 23:03

Thanks for your post! I'm looking forward to building my own stand...much better than what I'm doing now!

Coffeedrinker