PDA

View Full Version : My take on Summer Series Quilts

tnvarmint
02-12-2013, 16:36
This is my first attempt at making a video like this so go easy on me.

RDIpa86k-WY

As promised here are my first impressions of the Wilderness Logics Summer Series Quilts. As I stated in an earlier post, when I first received the quilts in the mail I looked them over to see the quality of the stitching and such. I could not find a single imperfection in anything. Everything about the quilts screamed perfection.

It was a few days until I got the chance to head out for an overnight trip with my oldest son to try the quilts out. The temps were expected to be in the upper 40s for the high and lower 30s for the low. We hiked in to our spot and found that the site we had planned on camping in had been trashed pretty badly by previous campers. It looked like they had left most everything behind including their tent, food and clothes.

We spent the first hour or so cleaning up the camp spot. After getting things cleaned up some, we set about hanging our hammocks and getting everything set up. This was also my official hammock hang so setting things up was interesting. I have had a hammock out when doing several nights at the lake and such but would sleep in my tent and not the hammock.

After a day of fishing and goofing off with my son, we decided to hit the hammocks around 8:30 PM. I was dressed in my synthetic long john base layers, Columbia Zip-Off Pants, a short sleeve synthetic shirt, fleece ¼ zip shirt and Mountain Hardware 800 FP down jacket. On my feet I had a pair of Darn Tough merino wool socks and a pair of Smart Wool socks over top of those.

I had meant to bring a fleece sleeping bag liner that I normally carry in the summer months when tent camping along with an inflatable seat pad for under my feet but forgot those. I slept amazingly for the majority of the night until about 5:00 am. Around then I woke up with my toes about to freeze off. I got up out of the hammock to use the bathroom and when I got back in I got my rain jacket and wrapped it around my feet hopping that would work. Alas it didn’t! It hit an overnight low of 30 degrees, which is 15 degrees lower than what Wilderness Logics rates their Summer Series Quilts at so I am pretty satisfied. I think with the fleece bag and inflatable seat I would be able to go a bit lower if needed.

Again I am very satisfied with the outcome. My goal was to get my pack weight down to around 12 lbs. base weight for both summer and winter carry which I accomplished. It might not be a true 4 season load out for my area but I would definitely call it a 3 and half season load out.

flatline
02-12-2013, 17:00
well doggies!
that was mighty fine!
the Summer Series quilts are more "powerful" than they look.
and the more you use them, the more you love'em.

my fix for the cold feet is probably the same as yours...
i've started keeping a piece of reflectix, lining the inside of my pack, like a pack stiffener.
i rarely use it but it's always there, all 4 seasons.

thanks for the awesome report,
__bob__

Les Rust
02-12-2013, 17:52
Glad to hear such a good review on the Summer Series Quilts. Nice that they could get you that low and still be light and ready for warmer weather.
Sorry to see such a trashing out there.:eek::mad: Cannot imagine what that crew was thinking as they were packing up. Were they expecting a maid to come by?

Deadphans
02-13-2013, 01:12
Great to hear you like!

It always saddens me to see trash at a beautiful campsite...howwww....?

Jumpmonkey
03-06-2013, 02:07
Enjoyed the review, but I'm left with a pang of sorrow and a burning question. Is that the lower trail to laurel falls I spy behind you? I hiked those paths more than a few times in the 3 years I lived in E-Town, I miss them dearly.

Good hiking and God bless,
Adam

BackPackHiker
03-06-2013, 12:43
Great review, looks like you found a good product.

Bonesat97
03-18-2013, 16:03
Thanks for the video...nice job!

ferret
03-21-2013, 17:22
How tall are you? Or any other taller folk using this set? Just wondering if its enough coverage for someone 6'1+. I see they are cut a little short to save on weight, mostly worried about the TQ. Hard to beat the price on the set though.

Caveman
03-26-2013, 12:36
I'm 6' and the UQ works well for me. I don't have the TQ though, so I can't help much with your specific question.

hawghangar
03-26-2013, 12:44
Nice report... and well done on cleaning up someone else's mess!

tnvarmint
04-03-2013, 13:56
How tall are you? Or any other taller folk using this set? Just wondering if its enough coverage for someone 6'1+. I see they are cut a little short to save on weight, mostly worried about the TQ. Hard to beat the price on the set though.

Sorry for not getting back to this until now. Been extremely busy at home and work here lately.

To answer your question, I am 6'4" and had no problems with the TQ. When laying perfectly straight the quilt came up to the tops of my shoulders. Once I "snuggled" down into and bent my body slightly I was able to pull the TQ up over the top of my head. It was quite toasty like that I must say! If I had to put a height limit on these TQs I would probably go with around 6'6" or 6'7".

If you have major concerns I would just give Marty a call and you could probably get him to make one a tad bit longer.