PDA

View Full Version : Colorado in July

swankfly
02-17-2013, 16:29
Okay, fishing the No. Platte in WYO, mid July. Planning on dumping the clients off at the airport, then looking for some backcountry fly fishing and hiking suggestions. I've never hikied CO, I'm not looking for any peak bagging, or extremely strenuous trails. I would like to incorporate some hanging, a little fishing and some backpacking, 4 days or so.

I know, BIG state, BIG mountains. Just looking for some local advice to steer clear of the crowds if possible.

Thanks,

swank

Slowanderer
02-17-2013, 18:39
swankfly,
What 4 days will you be in Co. in July? Maybe able to help.
Thanks

breyman
02-17-2013, 18:43
Streams or lakes? Rocky Mountain National Park has some of the best fly fishing around. Some of the alpine lakes there are my favorite in the state. Easy fishing. Beautiful views.

Only downside is that the really easy walks get pretty busy (unless you're going on a week day). The less crowded areas are a moderate hike (ie 3-6 miles with a few thousand feet elevation).

Happy to provide other recommendations if you can give a bit more of a feel of where in Colorado you might be (close to any particular towns) and distances you're looking at.

swankfly
02-17-2013, 21:24
Okay, I will be leaving WYO on July 21 for Denver. I am dropping off three clients at the airport and picking up a buddy. We plan on 3-4 nights, backcountry hiking, camping and fishing. Doesn't need to be big water, just good scenery and low crowds. Your help is greatly appreciated...as far as fishing holes, you can PM just to keep them secret. I doubt I will fish them more than every two years!

swank

OutandBack
02-17-2013, 21:51
Okay, I will be leaving WYO on July 21 for Denver. I am dropping off three clients at the airport and picking up a buddy. We plan on 3-4 nights, backcountry hiking, camping and fishing. Doesn't need to be big water, just good scenery and low crowds. Your help is greatly appreciated...as far as fishing holes, you can PM just to keep them secret. I doubt I will fish them more than every two years!

swank

Hi Swank,
I would not leave Wyoming to go fishing in Colorado.
Most of the streams here are stocked do to over fishing.
For years I never bought a Co licence but bought an annual Wyoming.
Miracle Mile, Pathfinder, Wheatland 3 in Wyoming would be my choices.

Now if fishing is your 3rd priority with hiking and hanging your first then
Colorado is the place to be. I would look into Nederland, CO.

End of July is peak tourist season so most campgrounds will be full but there is
millions of acres of National Forest to hike and hang in.

swankfly
02-21-2013, 09:49
O and B,

I am taking some clients fishing in WYO and then dropping them off at the airport. In CO the fishing is second priority, backpacking is first. My concerns are peak tourist season, so some direction for the NF is very helpful.

Thanks,

swank

Cannibal
02-21-2013, 10:03
I haven't actually fished it, but there are a series of alpine lakes (ponds) called Willow Lakes up above Dillon, CO. It is a beautiful, stunning in fact, hike up to the chain of ponds. They are right in the transition area between treeline and tundra. I usually camp at Salmon Lake which is the first one you encounter on the trail leading to the chain. There are some good trees near the lake.

I've heard fishermen talking about Willow Lakes, so there must be some decent fishing. All the ponds are connected on and off by a small feeder stream, so the fish move around a bit I'm guessing. But mostly, the view kicks butt! It is about an 8ish mile hike in, so it doesn't get crazy packed even in the prime months. It is my little getaway spot and I've always been too relaxed to bother with fishing when I'm there. :D

Cannibal
02-21-2013, 10:07
Here (http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIKES/Willow%20&%20Salmon%20Lake%20-%20Hiking%20Trail.htm) is a write-up, from a hiker perspective on the trail with a few pictures.

OutandBack
02-21-2013, 14:24
I haven't actually fished it, but there are a series of alpine lakes (ponds) called Willow Lakes up above Dillon, CO. It is a beautiful, stunning in fact, hike up to the chain of ponds. They are right in the transition area between treeline and tundra. I usually camp at Salmon Lake which is the first one you encounter on the trail leading to the chain. There are some good trees near the lake.

I've heard fishermen talking about Willow Lakes, so there must be some decent fishing. All the ponds are connected on and off by a small feeder stream, so the fish move around a bit I'm guessing. But mostly, the view kicks butt! It is about an 8ish mile hike in, so it doesn't get crazy packed even in the prime months. It is my little getaway spot and I've always been too relaxed to bother with fishing when I'm there. :D

An 8 mile hike up hill would keep most of the tourist away.
This place sounds pretty nice with lakes and small streams to fish.
Cannibal are there designated CG's or can one hang anywhere,
with the usual NF rules on camping near trails and water?

Cannibal
02-21-2013, 14:34
An 8 mile hike up hill would keep most of the tourist away.
This place sounds pretty nice with lakes and small streams to fish.
Cannibal are there designated CG's or can one hang anywhere,
with the usual NF rules on camping near trails and water?
There are a handful of fairly established sites here and there, but nothing formal.

Honestly, I've never much worried about any rules because I have yet to see anybody of authority up there. As you said, the distance and climb keep most of the riff-raff out of the area anyway. The folks that do tread up there, are for the most part, good stewards.

breyman
02-21-2013, 14:41
Here (http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIKES/Willow%20&%20Salmon%20Lake%20-%20Hiking%20Trail.htm) is a write-up, from a hiker perspective on the trail with a few pictures.

That looks like a great hike, I'll have to add it to my list.

Cannibal
02-21-2013, 14:45
There is a great pictorial "Virtual Hike" here (http://www.govirtualhike.com/GoVirtualHike/Virtual_Hiking_Breckenridge_Col.html) from "Nunya".
It's the second one down.

breyman
02-21-2013, 14:47
A few other ideas to toss out (I'd still recommend RMNP - on weekdays it isn't too bad and it's an amazing place).

- Mount of the Holy Cross (just south of Vail). This is fun/different as you get to knock out a 14er as part of it. Hike in about 3 miles to one of the prettiest little stream valleys I've been in. Stay the night and summit the 14er (Mount of the Holy Cross) the next day. Then, hike out. It isn't as long as you wanted, but is a bit more strenuous (doable by most, though). There are definitely other folks there, but with a hammock, you can get out of the way of others (everyone congregates to a few obvious tent site areas).

Major downside is that as far as I could tell, there were 0 fish in the stream running through the valley. The views of the area were unreal, though. You can always fish near Eagle or other similar places nearby.

- Eagles Nest: Hike from Green Mountain Reservoir (just north of Breckenridge area) up a trail to a series of lakes. Hike as much or as little as you want - 5 or 6 miles to the first lake. Good fishing and good hanging.

If you're interested in details on either PM me and I'll track down some info links.

Cannibal
02-21-2013, 14:55
Eagles Nest is a great area!

BTW, don't be too alarmed at the elevation gain and the "Advanced" rating. That rating is really more about the length (distance) of the trail. It is well switch-backed and a slow steady pace gets you there just fine. You'll find lots of spots you'll want to stop and look around anyway. Just be aware of the altitude you'll be hiking/sleeping at if you chose to hike it. The lakes are right around (or a little above) 11,000'. Be VERY well hydrated.

swankfly
02-22-2013, 06:56
Willow and Salmon are on the short list! I found another site with info about the hike, even more detailed! This may be a winner.

http://protrails.com/trails/view/398/summit_county_eagle_county_clear_creek_county/willow_lakes

swank