PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ontario>EGL>Weekday Spring Thaw

Lofty
02-22-2013, 10:47
While talking to a few or you at last weekends EGL Algonquin hang.
I know some of you work shift / flexible hours. As for Me, I mostly work Thursday-->Sunday

Soooooo ....... Who would be up for a weekday hang? I'm thinking Monday-->Wednesday

I few dates I'm thinking of..

March 18-20
April 1-3
April 8-10
April 29-may 1

If any of these days work for any of you let me know and we can start to plan

Kasuko
02-22-2013, 13:21
I would definitely be in for an end of April hang! This is my final semester in University and as of April 19th I will (hopefully) be done with school forever! So I'd love to celebrate with a HF.net group hang!

Jayson
02-22-2013, 14:33
I would probably be in for a couple of nights. All I need is a few weeks heads-up and I can get the time off. That time of year "The BOSS" would probably go also.

L84toff
03-02-2013, 14:43
Wife and I are thinking we'll head to Valens this Mon and Tue. Looks to be great weather, probably be warmer than our Nov Valens hang. I was trying to talk her into Algonquin but she's more comfortable having her first real winter hang at Valens. I'm really looking forward to testing out the new hammock sock I got a while back.

Where were you thinking? I'm good for April 8 overnight and I might be able to take a few hours off in the morning on the 10th so I could stay overnight on the 9th also, depending on where though.

Chard
03-02-2013, 14:54
Sounds like fun Lofty, but I'm a 9-5'er...

Valens should be nice and quiet during the week though.

Take lots of pics.

Chard

Lofty
03-03-2013, 13:12
As for location ....
I cool with pretty much anything several hours around Toronto
I've never been to Valens .. As long as there's trees I'm happy.

Let's pick a spot that perhaps can get a group out.
The days I listed are just the next month

So post your desired days and location (and alternative if you'd be willing to drive - I know I am)

Jodster
03-03-2013, 21:51
I might be interested in a couple nights at Valens. The dates you have listed might be possible so keep me posted on dates and I will see what I can arrange to get off.

Kasuko
03-04-2013, 09:55
If it is at Valens I am out ... that is an 8 hour drive for me.

Jayson
03-04-2013, 10:27
We would be into any date in April...not Valens.

Somewhere with a bit of hiking to the site would be nice. I will talk to Ozz, his family has land around Gravenhurst.

PineMartyn
03-04-2013, 11:03
Any of those dates would work for me, Lofty. The only consideration for me would be the overnight temperatures, since I'd be using only pads and a 3-season bag with my new Hennessy. But if the nights are going to be mild, I can be there. It would be my first time using my hammock outdoors.

- Martin

Chenvre
03-05-2013, 10:00
I should be able to duck out of work for a few days.

Valens is also quite far for me too, so if that's the decision I would most likely pass.

Any interest in Frontenac, or Bon Echo? Frontenac has some great hiking and backcountry camping, and not nearly as far for us Ottawans as the west side of TO.

L84toff
03-05-2013, 12:44
Whoa there! I wasn't suggesting Valens, I just thought I could get out there this week to test out some gear and to have my wife test out the cold. I would really love to get out there but it's not to be. We're both fighting something it seems and don't think it's wise to head out at the moment.

I'm much more of a hiker than a camper, so anything involving hiking would be my preference. In fact doing a good loop over a several days would be ideal. Apr 8 would be good only for an overnighter for me, so nothing quite as far as Echo or Frontenac. However, Apr 12-17 would be great and I'd be happy to make the drive out there if there were a few coming out, again with preference to hiking.

With that said, I'm planning on section hiking the Bruce Trail this year so if there is any other interest in doing a section, I'm happy to go overnight or over several nights.

Lofty
03-08-2013, 11:16
Ok

I like hiking - I've always had a good time at Algonquin

So

April 29-May1. Algonquin
Who's in?

PineMartyn
03-11-2013, 08:28
April 29-May1. Algonquin
Who's in?

I'm in, but because I don't own a winter bag, underquilts, and such, and want to test out the system I do have, it will depend on the overnight temperatures. But I'm keen to get out there in my new hammock.

Do you have a trail/spot in mind for this hang?

- Martin

Lofty
03-11-2013, 09:11
Hey Martin
I want to do the Western Uplands Trail
The 32 km loop - if that's long then the eastern Pines (it's 6-15km) trail

As for insulation - I have an extra DIY synthetic under quilt made from a -7°. Bag. - I know that that quilt and a CCF is good to -11°.
I also have an extra hammock sock.
You can use them if you want

Jayson
03-11-2013, 10:25
Not sure I will be able to make it. We have apaddle trip the following weekend. Two trips in one week may not be doable.

PineMartyn
03-11-2013, 10:26
Thanks for offering to help with the extra insulation Lofty. I'm actually hoping to test the limits of what my existing gear can handle, and I certainly don't want to pack more gear than I need on a backpacking trip.

I'll check out the two loops you suggested. The longer one might be too much as I'm recovering from a severe case of plantar fasciitis. I'll have a better idea whether I can handle a long hike in a few weeks.

Having never done a backpacking trip in APP, how does it work? Does it work for campsites? Does one have to book them in advance? Does one reserve a specific spot?

Thanks again,
- Martin

Lofty
03-11-2013, 11:20
Just realized - western uplands trailhead might be flooded (APP website says its usually flooded in spring)

As for reservations - you book the lake you want to stay at then camp sites are first come first serve.

keg
03-11-2013, 15:53
It's often the first section that is the worst, near the road and by the beaver dam. I've done it in the rain in early may and have to say watching that big old dam overflowing is a sight to see.

keg
03-11-2013, 17:46
Hey pine, you made the news.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/mar/11/pine-marten-pitch-invasion-video

You guys might consider the short loop of the Highlands trail. Short enough to not be stressful even if the weather is bad and still have plenty of time to set up before dark.

Lofty
03-11-2013, 18:54
You guys might consider the short loop of the Highlands trail. Short enough to not be stressful even if the weather is bad and still have plenty of time to set up before dark.

I've done the highland loop 2x - it's a nice trail - I just want some different scenery :)

Keg - if the western uplands is flooded - is it difficult to "cross"? or just take off the shoes and navigate through?

Also we don't have to do the loop there's sites about 4.5 km on maple leaf

Oh the choices - any of them are going to be a good trip.

keg
03-12-2013, 14:46
I wasn't too bad when I did it. Marshy for the first bit. The western side of the loop gets into higher ground quicker than the east side so it's not as bad. Last time I did it early spring was to Maggie and back. Damp boots early on and a few muddy patches but nothing major. It's not like you have to worry about finding a dry spot for a tent anyways. Have fun.

p.s. I find the highland trail far prettier.

Lofty
03-12-2013, 15:12
Thanks keg
Might stick with highland - I've done it 2x so I pretty much know the trail well - that little waterfall on highland makes a great. Swimming hole. - not that I plan on a polar dip - but it's a nice area to refresh and get some water.