PDA

View Full Version : New Darien UL in Coyote; 1st Test Hang

Gideon
02-24-2013, 15:06
Performed my initial "disaster check" of my new Darien UL hammock; thought I'd share my initial impressions. Will be taking it on an over-nighter next weekend with some forum members; needed to make sure it checked out so I took it to a local community lake just to set it up and make sure it was good to go.

Goal; a ultralight hammock to optimize my ultralight 3 season set up; the Darien UL weights just over 11 oz including suspension, cuben fiber bishop bag, cuben fiber ridgeline organizer, integrated bug net, tree straps, whoopie slings and a full complement of dutch gear: Dutch whoopie hooks, quilt hooks, dutch clip on tree straps. Site claims this is the lightest hammock with an integrated bug net; I couldn't find anything lighter. Went with integrated bug net for weight and functionality; I'm in Missour so bugs are almost a 4 season issue here. Fabric is 1.0; its so lightweight you can almost see through it. You definitely won't want to poke a hole in it and it comes with a weight limit of 200 lbs; I'm 160 so that's not a problem.

Cost; $200; a good value considering this setup is optimized and complete; perfect suspenssion, carrying sack etc.

Fit & Finish: perfect craftsmanship; that's all you can say about that, the whoopie slings are spliced right onto the whoopie hooks, there are 4 dutch quilt hooks sewn onto the hammock.

Funtionality; The real value of the whoopie hooks is that it reverses your whoopie slings which means you can adjust them a lot closer than you can when the fixed loop is toward the tree. I didn't realize how big of a difference this would make; it enables you to set up your hammock with the ideal 30 degree angle on your suspension between trees that are as close as 4.5 paces or far away. This means you have greater flexibility on the distance between trees; for me it means my tarp is the determining factor for what I need as far as distance between trees. The zippers work very smoothly, I wish they were black instead of silver but I'm nit-picking. The cuben fiber ridgeline organizer is great, holds glasses, a flashlight or Ipod/phone quite well; also it's constructed in a tube so you could stuff something into the tube; hard to explain but it's a very well thought out, ultralight organizer. There's also a little loop sewn into one edge, not sure what that's there for; my quess is you could attach some shock cord to it and stake out that side of the hammock a bit.

Comfort; I opted for the 10' lenght; I'm only 5' 7" so I like the shorter hammock, plus I wanted to optimize the weight. I love how it lays; it's asymetrically cut you can only really lay one way in it but it has extra fabric for the footbox area. Nice and flat. I also love how you can see out of it really well.

Summary; Normally this hammock is offered in ACU and woodland camo but they happened to get a quantity of the coyote in and I changed my order to that; I love the look, it'll good great with my olive green underquilts The Whoopie slings are a hot green color; I would have preferred a more subdued gray but they aren't bad as is.

Getting this light of a hammock with all of these "optimized" (theres that word again) features is fantastic and all of the titanium dutchware is simply outstanding. It's ready to hang right out of the box and the customer service from Dream Hammocks is as good as anything I've ever experienced anywhere ever. I'm convinced that an integrated bug net is the way to go if the majority of your hanging is in a buggy area like my part of Missouri; I've had netless hammocks with a seperate bug net but didn't really care for all of the extra netting. I don't think there's a more optimized ultra light weight complete hammock out there at this moment in time.

I've attached a few pics too; if I notice anything else when I use it next weekend I'll update my post; if I don't, then it performed as perfectly as I expect it to.

The bottom line? This is a perfect hammock if you're under 200 lbs and you're really trying to move into ultralight backpacking; it's also the kind of gear you'll need to/want to take care of.

Gideon

Gideon
02-24-2013, 15:10
A few more pics...

Brute1100
02-24-2013, 15:12
Love it... Only way to get it lighter is with UCRs... Could shave a few feet of amsteel that way... Not much but if your counting grams UCRs are your friend...

PapaSmurf
02-24-2013, 16:15
There's also a little loop sewn into one edge, not sure what that's there for;

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46875&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1361736383 (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46875&d=1361736383)

Thanks for the very detailed look at the Darien UL. I hope it works great for you on this upcoming trip.

This little loop is a direct result of customer feedback asking for a way to keep the net flipped back over the hammock when it's not needed. The idea is to clip a lightweight object to the loop and throw it back over the hammock. Having a little weight pulling the netting back will hopefully provide enough pull on the net to prevent the netting from being in your way. I haven't heard any reports back on this addition, so I'd be interested in hearing if the loop works for you.

dragon360
02-24-2013, 16:31
Beautiful hammock you have there - congrats!

hairbear
02-24-2013, 18:05
Nice hammock,im happy for you. Do you feel any calf bite at all?

engine386
02-24-2013, 19:00
great review, thanks

Gideon
02-24-2013, 23:35
Nice hammock,im happy for you. Do you feel any calf bite at all?

Won't really know until I spend a night in it or two, however, just laying around in it, it feels more comfortable than my black bird or Hennessey. I notice calf pressure on my black bird but it doesn't really bother me. I think it'll be even better on the Darien. Also, if you got it in 11ft vs 10 ft I think it only improves. We'll see this weekend.

One more complete hammock setup to go and my three youngest will be able to go on hangs together with me....I'm looking forward to that! :D

Gideon

hammock_monk
02-25-2013, 00:12
Hairbear, I'm sleeping out in my Darien UL tonight. There is definitely a tight gather under me but, between the way the hammock is cut and the way I lay, it passes comfortably behind my knee rather than under my calf. It's a nice flat lay and very comfy. Amazing, really, given its UL character. And papasmurf, thanks for the info on that loop. I'll have to check in the morning to see if mine has one. BTW, I love the integrated quilt hooks. It makes a big difference w my DIY quilt.

I was hoping for low thirties overnight but it's quite balmy so far: 44 at present. But sky is clear so maybe the mercury will drop. Wish me luck on my first overnight in the Darien UL. Gideon, thanks for the write up.

breyman
02-25-2013, 00:39
I got a Darien UL in Coyote recently, too, and love it! Super comfy, the weight is off the charts on the good side of things and all the details are just right (love the dutchware, ridgeline organizer, etc.).

Definitely a winner - this is my go to rig when backpacking.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=2451&pictureid=18099

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=2451&pictureid=18100

Sidewinder
02-25-2013, 01:08
Thanks for the review. Ordered one in the same color but 11' long. Can't wait. Should be great this comming bug season.

S

hairbear
02-25-2013, 05:51
Maybe i can get a test lay in gideons this weekend. Definatly thinking of dipping my toe in the water to see if it will work for me. Is there a return policy ,and if so how long? The weight for an all inclusive set up is amazing.

Gideon
02-25-2013, 06:47
You're welcome to try laying in mine Hairbear; can't speak to any return policy but I do know you could recoupe most of your money by selling it here on the forum.

Enjoy the new week!
Gideon

breyman
02-26-2013, 09:11
Maybe i can get a test lay in gideons this weekend. Definatly thinking of dipping my toe in the water to see if it will work for me. Is there a return policy ,and if so how long? The weight for an all inclusive set up is amazing.

I don't think Dream Hammocks has a satisfaction return policy (like Warbonnet's, for example). They do have an excellent resale, though. I'm sure you could sell it here for 90-95% of original value if used very lightly.

hairbear
02-26-2013, 10:10
I don't think Dream Hammocks has a satisfaction return policy (like Warbonnet's, for example). They do have an excellent resale, though. I'm sure you could sell it here for 90-95% of original value if used very lightly.

Thanks for the info, Im looking forward to seeing gideons soon.

affreeman
02-27-2013, 08:19
I have the 11' Darien in coyote. Received it a few weeks ago just before the blizzard hit. Had just enough time to make a very quick trip to the local park the day before the blizzard to hang it for a few minutes. Absolutely love the room and comfort. The fabric looks so fragile it kind of scares me, but it feels sturdy when I'm in the hammock.

Because I am tall I use a long UQ, and the quilt hooks actually end up a bit in-board from the corners of the UQ. Theys till seem to do the job, but with the long UQ it would be better if the hooks were a bit closer to the ends of the hammock.

Other than that. I think I am going to love everything about this hammock.

Caveman
02-27-2013, 11:11
Very cool. One of my favorite colors.

hammock_monk
02-28-2013, 10:12
Haha. My quilt hooks are all the way at the ends of my quilt. I'd like them a bit more inboard. Guess you can't place them to please everybody. I was thrilled just to discover they were there!

I slept out two nights this week and must say I love this hammock.

breyman
02-28-2013, 10:20
Haha. My quilt hooks are all the way at the ends of my quilt. I'd like them a bit more inboard. Guess you can't place them to please everybody. I was thrilled just to discover they were there!

I slept out two nights this week and must say I love this hammock.

The quilt hooks are actually meant to hold the suspension lines - not to attach directly to the quilt...

hammock_monk
02-28-2013, 10:41
Sure, of course. I went and looked at my setup and I too, would prefer the hooks a but farther out, at least on the foot end. I might move them or add another pair. I am going to add a hook or something to fix my quilt at my shoulder, which tends to pop out of my quilt otherwise.

Sorry for talking through my hat earlier.

Disco
02-28-2013, 11:13
Nice review! Can't wait to check it out this weekend!

PapaSmurf
02-28-2013, 11:27
Normally I set the quilt hooks at 16" from the ends of the hammock.
This leaves approx 88" between the hooks on the 10ft model and approx 100" between on the 11ft model. Of course, this is straight line distance along the side and not a diagonal measurement.

The placement of the hooks has been tested with 52" and 78" long underquilts.
With an extra long 86" or 83" underquilt, I can see it getting a little tight if used on the 10ft model.

I'm certainly cool with moving the hook locations to accommodate a specific user or quilt size or even changing the "standard" locations to cover most everything out there.

I'm a little confused about the overall best "default" location, but will watch these comments carefully.

River Otter
02-28-2013, 12:19
Great review, and nice hammock. That's a beautiful color. Thanks

Gideon
02-28-2013, 20:02
Well this weekend I'll be testing this hammock and I'm using a 3/4 phoenix 20 degree underquilt. I'm toying with the idea of also adding my 40 degree phoenix at the same time since it's supposed to be down to 16 and I'm a cold sleeper.

I was also a bit leery of the fabric, it's very thin; so much so you can see the ground through it. I think it'll be fine but I do think you have to be extra careful with something like this so you don't poke or tear it. I suspect that once it does have a tear that it would be all over :eek:

I think the key is with any ultralight gear is to treat it with care.

Gideon

affreeman
02-28-2013, 22:38
Normally I set the quilt hooks at 16" from the ends of the hammock.
This leaves approx 88" between the hooks on the 10ft model and approx 100" between on the 11ft model. Of course, this is straight line distance along the side and not a diagonal measurement.

The placement of the hooks has been tested with 52" and 78" long underquilts.
With an extra long 86" or 83" underquilt, I can see it getting a little tight if used on the 10ft model.

I'm certainly cool with moving the hook locations to accommodate a specific user or quilt size or even changing the "standard" locations to cover most everything out there.

I'm a little confused about the overall best "default" location, but will watch these comments carefully.

For reference, the quilt I used and referred to in my post is the JRB Hudson River Long, which is 86". If the quilt hooks are 100" apart on the 11' hammock, it doesn't make sense to me that I have this issue with the fit. I'll have to do some measuring when I get a chance.

hammock_monk
02-28-2013, 22:47
My quilt is a DIY 84" in length. And to be clear, I'd move the hooks if I was sewing just for my own quilt, but I am not criticizing the hammock, which is beautiful. I am taking it out for a couple nights this weekend. Maybe I'll do a review after.

PapaSmurf
02-28-2013, 22:48
I'd definitely be interested in seeing a photo or 2 of how these longer underquilts fit.
I can always alter the location for those who need some extra room.

affreeman
03-01-2013, 07:49
I'd definitely be interested in seeing a photo or 2 of how these longer underquilts fit.
I can always alter the location for those who need some extra room.

Here's my JRB Hudson River Long, at 86", on my 11' Darien UL:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--Oz3t26gwHs/URPhvxNIhVI/AAAAAAAAR3A/umNjUGtcBCM/s851/IMG_20130207_120909.jpg

And here's a close-up of one of the quilt hooks. You can see the UQ suspension elastic is pulling on the quilt hook since the quilt hook is in-board of the end of the quilt, which now that I think about it might put undue stress on the hammock.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZrhsJO9im88/URPgytqdw1I/AAAAAAAAR2w/mv_KcYxGokM/s851/IMG_20130207_120926.jpg

affreeman
03-01-2013, 07:53
Here's my JRB Hudson River Long, at 86", on my 11' Darien UL:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--Oz3t26gwHs/URPhvxNIhVI/AAAAAAAAR3A/umNjUGtcBCM/s851/IMG_20130207_120909.jpg

And here's a close-up of one of the quilt hooks. You can see the UQ suspension elastic is pulling on the quilt hook since the quilt hook is in-board of the end of the quilt, which now that I think about it might put undue stress on the hammock.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZrhsJO9im88/URPgytqdw1I/AAAAAAAAR2w/mv_KcYxGokM/s851/IMG_20130207_120926.jpg

Replying to my own post, how gauche!

Thinking a bit more, I wonder if this issue with the quilt hook placement is only because the hammock is unloaded. Once I'm in the hammock and the UQ is forced into a curve around my body it's going to fit differently.

I'll likely never know as I do almost all of my backpacking solo, and I don't know how I can look while lying in the hammock.

affreeman
03-01-2013, 07:58
And while I'm posting photos, this might give you an idea of how much room I, at 6'3", have in my 11' Darien UL:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kdTUC-JNK-E/URPf5rx-BLI/AAAAAAAAR2g/o5Om6ls3Nf4/s622/IMG_20130207_120724.jpg

PapaSmurf
03-01-2013, 08:23
Thinking a bit more, I wonder if this issue with the quilt hook placement is only because the hammock is unloaded. Once I'm in the hammock and the UQ is forced into a curve around my body it's going to fit differently.

Ahh. This makes much more sense now. Thanks for the photos.
So the distance between the quilt hooks on a straight line would mimic the 83% ridgeline rule and actually be 83" instead of 100". I agree that the distance will increase as you load the hammock and force the UQ into a curved shape.

If I were to use a measurement of say, 12-14" from the channel, it would possibly help with these longer UQ's without affecting the full size and 3/4 size too much.