PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter at the 501 Shelter. Mar 9 - 10th

fishbait
02-26-2013, 22:45
So the wife told me that I should go camping and that March 9th and 10th is an open weekend. Who am I to argue, she said go camp, so I'll go camp. Since I missed the last overnighter at the 501 Shelter I figured why not plan another one. It'll give me a chance to try my HH Clone.

silentorpheus
02-26-2013, 23:19
I might be in for this. Or I might just try to get out in the pine barrens that weekend - 501's a bit of a drive for me. Either way, I'll keep an eye on this. Subscribed.

daddywoodsman
02-27-2013, 00:53
cool. I might be in for this one.

Pj1008
02-27-2013, 06:58
I might be able to make it out to this one! :)

biggcarl
02-27-2013, 07:40
Can't make it, will be at a conference in Atlantic City all weekend.

But I'll most likely be at the 501 later in March.

fishbait
02-28-2013, 08:03
The long term weather prediction indicates a 58 deg. day for Saturday with a 29 Deg low, and possible rain on Sunday. What more could you ask for accept maybe a snow storm.

fishbait
02-28-2013, 08:05
I might be in for this. Or I might just try to get out in the pine barrens that weekend - 501's a bit of a drive for me. Either way, I'll keep an eye on this. Subscribed.

If need be I can drive, I don't think your that far from my location.

G.L.P.
02-28-2013, 17:45
Dunno if i can do that weekend ....
this time of year the wind can get bad up there so be ready for it ;)
also bring firewood the area is picked clean :rolleyes: ( Blame Dutch LOL )

jerzybears
02-28-2013, 19:54
Dunno if i can do that weekend ....
this time of year the wind can get bad up there so be ready for it ;)
also bring firewood the area is picked clean :rolleyes: ( Blame Dutch LOL )

Don't bring wood from NJ. Look for roadside sales. PA loses its mind about wood because of the Asian longhorn beetle.:crying Russ and I are thinking Catskills in March. Have fun.

jerzybears
02-28-2013, 19:56

Let Russ and I know the next time you want to stroll into the Pine Barrens in April. Gotta get out before tick season.

The RidgeRunner
03-02-2013, 17:39
http://www.bmecc.org/at.html

Not sure if this is accurate, the the Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club has on their website that a caretaker is wanted for the 501.

If'n it weren't 3 hours away from work, i'd be all over it.

G.L.P.
03-03-2013, 00:22
yeah the caretaker that is there is moving to a new location ... every 3-4 years they move to a different part of the trail
it's a nice house too ;)

if i don't get to come out for the night i might show up to say hi.. but i'm looking into coming in Late if i can... just not sure yet

Dutch
03-03-2013, 00:41
http://www.bmecc.org/at.html

Not sure if this is accurate, the the Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club has on their website that a caretaker is wanted for the 501.

If'n it weren't 3 hours away from work, i'd be all over it.

If it weren't 90 minutes from my wifes job, i would live this.

I may come out to play.

JollyGreen
03-04-2013, 11:42
ok, so who's in for this weekend?

fishbait
03-05-2013, 14:27
I'm still planning on going, the wife thinks I'm crazy. I just tell her it keeps me from going insane

G.L.P.
03-05-2013, 21:54
they are calling for a good amount of snow up this way ... maybe over a foot so i'll keep everyone posted on the weather

fishbait
03-05-2013, 23:21
they are calling for a good amount of snow up this way ... maybe over a foot so i'll keep everyone posted on the weather

Sounds good. The misses is pushing for me to go to Wharton, but I really want to check out the 501 site

G.L.P.
03-06-2013, 02:32
Sounds good. The misses is pushing for me to go to Wharton, but I really want to check out the 501 site

the 501 is nice... it's not very big to be honest
it's nice cause it's close to a road so it's kinda like car camping but you still need to walk 50+ yards to the sites
to be honest i rather WIlliam Penn or eagles nest ... i like to hike to sites away from roads but it's hard to get everyone on board with a hike/hang so we do the 501 90% of the time
i think the next one i set up will be at either Will Penn or Eagles Nest
April i'll try to finish up what i have left of PA just to get it out of the way in hopes to start on another state next year

fishbait
03-06-2013, 10:16
If it comes down to it and nobody can make it, I can always change my plans back to my original thought, hiking form DWG to the Kirkridge Shelter. It'll give me a chance to get some PA AT hiking done.

jerzybears
03-07-2013, 16:54
the 501 is nice... it's not very big to be honest
it's nice cause it's close to a road so it's kinda like car camping but you still need to walk 50+ yards to the sites
to be honest i rather WIlliam Penn or eagles nest ... i like to hike to sites away from roads but it's hard to get everyone on board with a hike/hang so we do the 501 90% of the time
i think the next one i set up will be at either Will Penn or Eagles Nest
April i'll try to finish up what i have left of PA just to get it out of the way in hopes to start on another state next year

Ahhhh...bringing back memories of "Dutch's Briar Patch Hang!" :lol::lol::lol:

G.L.P.
03-08-2013, 01:33
No snow so your good on the weather .... we didn't get crap LOL

Do that make us the Briar Patch Kids LOL :lol::lol:

fishbait
03-08-2013, 15:47
I know I planned it, but I'm going to back out. Finances are dictating how far I can travel to hang this weekend.