PDA

View Full Version : Just getting strated

Rescue295
02-27-2013, 10:51
Hey guys. I'm considering trying out hammock camping and looking for some help.

I'm a bigger guy (read, FAT) weighing in about 220 lbs. I have a bad back. And I'm trying to find a hammock that is comfortable for sleeping on my side or maybe even my stomach somehow.

My experience is limited to a Hammock Bliss hammock and trying to sleep in it with a sleeping pad and sleeping bag. I tried sleeping at an angle, but could never get comfortable enough to go to sleep. And the whole sleeping bag/pad thing was a pain. (I do fine with them in a tent.)

I'm considering hammocking due to the ease of site selection and being able to have one with me in my backpack when I'm out doing a search and rescue. I volunteer with my local rescue squad and search and rescue is one of my favorite ways to serve. I also hike occasionally and would enjoy the occasional night with just a hammock and tarp.

I'm looking for suggestions from side-sleepers and people with back problems. What worked for you?

Thanks!

Rescue295
02-27-2013, 10:53
That should read, "Just getting started" instead of "strated." Sorry about that.

cjayflo
02-27-2013, 21:08
I've just tested and layed around during the day but my single layer DIY is doing ok and I weigh 220.

Bubba
02-27-2013, 22:36
You should look into bridge style hammocks. I have read they are good for side and even stomach sleepers. The Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock are two that are available.

Rescue295
02-27-2013, 23:09
Thanks! I'll check into those two. The only other one I saw that was recommended for side sleepers was a Clark Jungle Hammock. Anybody tried one of those?

perdidochas
03-01-2013, 14:17
Hey guys. I'm considering trying out hammock camping and looking for some help.

I'm a bigger guy (read, FAT) weighing in about 220 lbs. I have a bad back. And I'm trying to find a hammock that is comfortable for sleeping on my side or maybe even my stomach somehow.

My experience is limited to a Hammock Bliss hammock and trying to sleep in it with a sleeping pad and sleeping bag. I tried sleeping at an angle, but could never get comfortable enough to go to sleep. And the whole sleeping bag/pad thing was a pain. (I do fine with them in a tent.)

I'm considering hammocking due to the ease of site selection and being able to have one with me in my backpack when I'm out doing a search and rescue. I volunteer with my local rescue squad and search and rescue is one of my favorite ways to serve. I also hike occasionally and would enjoy the occasional night with just a hammock and tarp.

I'm looking for suggestions from side-sleepers and people with back problems. What worked for you?

Thanks!

Make sure your hang angle is at 30 degrees. The first time I tried a hammock I had my hamg angle too shallow, and never quite got to sleep. I kind of dozed. Next time out, I set up a structural ridgeline, which kind of forced the correct hang angle. Great night of sleep.

Another piece of advice, try using your sleeping bag as a topquilt if it has a zipper. Zip the bottom foot or two for a foot box, and use the rest as a quilt.