PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: 3rd Anuual Mt. Rogers Hang Out

WrongTurn
01-24-2009, 15:01
It was great meeting all of you yesterday. Oh and whoever let me borrow their NiteIze 9s send me a pm and ill mail them to you, just found them cleaning out my pack.

slowhike
01-25-2009, 15:53
It was a GREAT trip. A few difficulties to be had by some, but for the most part, GREAT trip!!!
Good to meet so many new hammockers & see some that I hardly ever see.
I believe we had close to 40 show up & about 9 or 10 states represented. Maybe we can get better figures on those things later.

The raffle was a big hit too!!! I'll let the Jacks tell more about the cash raised for Hammock Forums & Whiteblaze, and the others that contributed to the prize pile!

More later... my hammock needs me for a while:rolleyes:

Ashman
01-25-2009, 15:57
how was the weather?

slowhike
01-25-2009, 16:01
how was the weather?

I was told 10 to 13°f for the low (Sun night). We missed you man.

WrongTurn
01-25-2009, 16:03
Weather Friday wasn't bad at all, had sun most of the day and then at night we had a maybe a 20 minute sprinkle. Saturday about 4-6am we had a freezing fog/mist/ice mix that kind of floated through the camp. Was sunny and windy when I left yesterday at noon. We heard coyotes or foxes depending on who you ask up around the camp friday night and saturday morning early am howling and singing and then killing a few rabbits. Also saw some pony droppings, but never actually saw the ponies.

GrizzlyAdams
01-25-2009, 16:13
how was the weather?

Friday night was pretty warm, got to 30 F. We had some excellent wind, excellent at least for those of us whose tarps were pitched in preparation for it! Really strong gusts that shook the trees I was hanging from. We had a touch of precipitation, started as sprinkles in the evening, with a dusting of snow during the night.

The temperature dropped through Saturday---was perfect in the high 20's, and very sunny. Great for hiking, which many us of did in small groups. After the sun set the temps dropped to...well there are various reports. I heard that Stormcrow's device measured 10 degrees F at the shelter around 10:30 pm, someone else said 11 degrees. My device was inside the tarp (enclosed on 3 sides), registered 14 degrees as a low. Interestingly it warmed up as the night went on. I went to see a man about a dog around 2:30 and my device read low 20s then. By the time I got up around 7 it was warmer still, higher 20s.

A spendid time was had by most, although there were some injuries due to slipping and falling on the iced-over paths. HC4U shoot some footage of various people's hangs, and drafted me to be the "host" on interviews he taped with the Jacks, and Ed Speer.

It was fun to meet those I knew from last year and other hangs, to meet some folks I've hardly met electronically, and some others with notable presence on HF who I've not met in person before.

Grizz

WalksInDark
01-25-2009, 16:38
Nice to be able to put faces with some of your Trail Names/Real Names. Thanks for all of the helpful Tips & Tricks ----which I will use the next time.

mixinmaster
01-25-2009, 17:25
Nice to be able to put faces with some of your Trail Names/Real Names. Thanks for all of the helpful Tips & Tricks ----which I will use the next time.
Glad you found your way back. Hope to run into you again somewhere down the trail.

Hooch
01-25-2009, 17:48
The trip was great! For old friends, it was great to see y'all again and to the new folks I met, it was an absolute pleasure! Hope to see plenty of y'all in Hot Springs or somewhere else along the trail. Maybe another RRG hang some time? HC, that's a hint. :D

Iafte
01-25-2009, 17:57
So, can anyone say if my son's won anything? Pan had 2 tickets for them...

mixinmaster
01-25-2009, 18:11
A couple of clips from Saturday, 6-ish......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-Y4ZZMAiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2YKp12GA8

MacEntyre
01-25-2009, 18:11
I learned a lot from Mt. Rogers.

...HF folks are characters, but also most pleasant, helpful and generous!
...Frog Sac + poncho liner top quilt can keep you warm at 10 degF
...garda hitch on Omega Pacific rings works w/ HH suspension line
...Mt Rogers ridges look more like wild west terrain than Virginia
...I can still hike with people a bit older than half my age
...pulk sleds capsize often when overloaded.
...port is an exceptional trail drink
...the AT is still a bear highway
...coyote pups whine like foxes
...wild horses beg like dogs
...Ed Speer snores

- MacEntyre

WrongTurn
01-25-2009, 18:40
Ahh yes the what I learned portion of the trip.

The short list would be how to properly set up my triglides thanks to compass and doctari's hiking partner.

The best places for Trout fishing and on tap beer from dave from carolina.

Happy Camper showed me how put my JRB STLs on correctly which made Friday night so much better.

Hooch for the tips on staying warm and layering the pads.

Compass for help with using my WM bag as a quilt instead of a bag and the lesson on compressing loft and loss of insulation.

Grizz and all those friday night involved in the RO water treatment discussion and the effects of flouride on the body.

So many other great people and a hell of a time all around.

Personally I learned that
1. I packed way to many clothers.
2. I need a JRB Nest to get rid of all the pads and such
3. Trying to use a sleeping bag as an under overquilt doesnt work when the bag has a huge hood without a draw string.
4. Russian tea ie Tang, Lemonade, Cinnamon, and Cloves is a great way to warm up in the mornings.
5. Always look for mp3 players in the jacket I don't end up wearing the entire trip.
6. Packs are much lighter without water and that Jeff from MRO was right about not needing to carry water in.
7. If you bring enough water for 3 days dont bring a filter and iodine.
8. Pick bigger trees to hang from because mine flexed during the night and kept slamming my back into the ground.
9. When its cold hang your tarp in a tight A frame to prevent the wind from annihalating your face.

The list goes on. Next Winter I'll be ready with another WM bag for an overquilt and a JRB winter nest.

See ya'll in Hot Springs.

Peter_pan
01-25-2009, 19:15
So, can anyone say if my son's won anything? Pan had 2 tickets for them...

Iafte,

No luck for you... usual group of winners.... two or three folks.... NCP..... 5or 6 others ....NCP...... 7-8 more .... then, yup, NCP..

Skskinner won the quilt and there were two lucky winners of the Speer Winter Tarps....

Pan

Iafte
01-25-2009, 19:16
Oh well. Glad you had fun.

Darby
01-25-2009, 19:53
Well I sure had a great time. Met lots of folks, finally got to see the ponies, tested some new gear, and oh yeah, I won 9 oz. of 900 fp down from Ed Speer (there just aren't enough smileys ! :D). I hope everyone made it down safely. That ice was treacherous. Here are some pics.29962997299829993000

NotToWorry
01-25-2009, 20:01
The April hammock campout is usually the 3rd weekend in April, but this year the dates are still not set. We try & make it the same weekend as the AT TrailFest in Hot Springs, but I've checked with the Madison Co folks who sponser TrailFest & they haven't settled on the exact dates yet--their website gives April 3-6 but that doesn't jive with the past festivals & no one at the county courthouse seems to know what's going on. I'll let everyone know as soon as I know. Anyway, it should be a bit warmer than the Mt Rogers Hang with low teens Sat nite! Hope everyone made it home OK.

NotToWorry
01-25-2009, 20:17
Darby, don't forget to send me your address so I can send your down winnings. If I'd been smart I would have had the down in the car to give you when we made it back to the parking lot--but I packed too fast to think everything through. Will mail your down as soon as I get your address. Congrats & let us know what you make with it.

slowhike
01-25-2009, 22:03
A few pictures can be seen by clicking "My Gallery" below my name.

Oh yeah, you can add your own comments below pictures. Check out the one of Grizz & the pony... it needs a caption.

Doctari
01-25-2009, 22:17
WOW! What a good time!!
I think 3 days isn't enough. Can we change it to 3 weeks next year?!?!???

My guest Rob is a total convert. Says it was the best weekend ever!

I do believe that next year I'm not bringing nearly as much STUFF. Just my stuff, one extra set up, & whatever food for Sat.

My pulk / sled was wonderful. AND, I came up with a few improvements to try, so will keep you posted as to how that works out.

fin
01-25-2009, 22:25
And I guarantee I will not have the largest pack next year - I already have a bet with Stormcrow that I will have a lighter pack than him next year because I won't be carrying 3 full setups, plus extra gear if anyone needed it. NOBODY needed it this year, so I will never carry that much again. Kinda like the venison bacon - if you didn't take advantage of it while it was there, you missed out.:tongueup:

slowhike
01-25-2009, 22:28
Oh yeah... all kinds of great venison as well as brats & all kinds of other good stuff!!! Both home made & store bought!!!!

2Questions
01-25-2009, 22:31
I made it home to PA!! Long drive but worth it. Great time, lots of food, good conversation with many, and lots of new hanging tricks to think about. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in organizing the event and all the peripherals. And now HF posts will have faces and voices behind them.....I never would have guessed what Doctari looked like!!

New winter snow project to obsess over....a pulk sled with a custom gear bag so I can eliminate the backpack. Thanks Doctari...your fault I'm hooked!

How much farther down the road is Hot Springs??

slowhike
01-25-2009, 22:33

Oh, not much. You'd find it worth the drive my friend.

Mule
01-25-2009, 22:34
Animal Control, Indy Dan and Mule made it home safe and sane, (and Sound). Thanks to everyone for a truly enjoyable weekend. I am hoping to see you all again soon. Pictures coming, Mule

2Questions
01-25-2009, 22:39
Oh, not much. You'd find it worth the drive my friend.

Maybe I can talk ZQ into coming with me. She'll not hang around us as much as hanging around a shopping mall somewhere. She'll need electricity, showers, flush toilet, and a tent! (ground dweller for sure...on a twin size air mattress)!! Maybe I can get her to pack her Bernina thread injector too!!

slowhike
01-25-2009, 22:42
Maybe I can talk ZQ into coming with me. She'll not hang around us as much as hanging around a shopping mall somewhere. She'll need electricity, showers, flush toilet, and a tent! (ground dweller for sure...on a twin size air mattress)!! Maybe I can get her to pack her Bernina thread injector too!!

I don't know how far it is to a shopping mall, but there are some neat little shops in town.
It's a neat & romantic little mountain town w/ at least a couple or more good places to eat.

Mule
01-25-2009, 22:53
I uploaded pictures in a new album but I don't see them under my pictures. Gallery is called Mount Rogers 2009. ??? How do we view it?

Here are some of them. Be sure to open the black one too. It's the night sky over the mountain.

Find the Album here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/album.php?albumid=33

Doctari
01-25-2009, 22:58
I made it home to PA!! Long drive but worth it. Great time, lots of food, good conversation with many, and lots of new hanging tricks to think about. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in organizing the event and all the peripherals. And now HF posts will have faces and voices behind them.....I never would have guessed what Doctari looked like!!

New winter snow project to obsess over....a pulk sled with a custom gear bag so I can eliminate the backpack. Thanks Doctari...your fault I'm hooked!

I don't actually look like that, it was all done with mirrors & smoke. :lol:
I'm really 6' tall, have a full head of hair & am only 30 years old. :D

Yea, like I don't have enough obsessions, the sled sort of moved to the top of the list on the drive home.

Mule
01-25-2009, 23:02
One more Photos found in the Album, Mount Rogers 2009, wherever that is.

Shug
01-25-2009, 23:05
Brilliant pix Slowhike ... fun to see all those faces. Looks like all was fun and tasty ... with FishinFinns Brats!! M-m-m-m-m-m-
I enjoyed seeing all those hands in wrist warmers.... I wept.:D

slowhike
01-25-2009, 23:07
Brilliant pix Slowhike ... fun to see all those faces. Looks like all was fun and tasty ... with Fishinfinns Brats!! M-m-m-m-m-m-

Yes, I even got my very own set of wrist warmers from Grizz. Excellent workmanship & functionality!!!

LostCause
01-25-2009, 23:12
Wow. Now I have seen faces to match with the names and online personalities... Looks like it was a blast!

Shug
01-25-2009, 23:15
I uploaded pictures in a new album but I don't see them under my pictures. Gallery is called Mount Rogers 2009. ??? How do we view it?

Here are some of them. Be sure to open the black one too. It's the night sky over the mountain

Good sky ... thanks for the pix!

slowhike
01-25-2009, 23:16
Yep, really good to put faces (& personalities) w/ names.

GrizzlyAdams
01-25-2009, 23:17
Brilliant pix Slowhike ... fun to see all those faces. Looks like all was fun and tasty ... with FishinFinns Brats!! M-m-m-m-m-m-

They are great pictures, for memories.

These wrist warmers (shuggies, I call 'em) were a big hit. Nine pairs distributed (that's to nearly 25% of the attendees), with proceeds on their way to HF central.

Just goes to show that the HF crowd has style and class, and appreciate functionality. Dual use too, when your nose ... oh never mind.

Grizz

Shug
01-25-2009, 23:20
They are great pictures, for memories.

These wrist warmers (shuggies, I call 'em) were a big hit. Nine pairs distributed (that's to nearly 25% of the attendees), with proceeds on their way to HF central.

Just goes to show that the HF crowd has style and class, and appreciate functionality. Dual use too, when your nose ... oh never mind.

Grizz
You can wipe a lot of areas ... brow, chin, nose ......... yeah, never mind!
That is too cool that you put the proceeds to HF ... bigger man than me, you.

Mule
01-25-2009, 23:31
Good sky ... thanks for the pix!
Shug, you are are a riot. Love the videos. Thanks for being here on HF. Can't wait to hang with you someday. Mule

thorwren
01-25-2009, 23:40
So...........Much.............Fun...........

And I can now tell everyone I just spent my wedding anniversary with 40 men.

:lol:

fin
01-25-2009, 23:52
Did anyone else have their dog try to roll in them when they got home? :rolleyes:

And next year, I say "Pony on a spit!" if those buggers get in our food again. Why would they go for beer?

I also have to say it was a pleasure hanging with y'all, and getting to meet you! Now I truly know that the "Internet Hammock Weirdo's," as my wife and co-workers call you, are truly great people. Still Internet weirdos, but good people. ;):thumbup: Special thanks to all the people who put in the effort to make this the great experience it was. And to Grizz for the "shuggies." And to Ed and Pan and Smee for the raffle, as well as mrprez's contribution (I really wanted that stickpic.) This was a very memorable event, and just a heck of a lot of good, clean (mostly) fun. I hope everyone made it back home safe, so we can all hang and hike together again sometime.

jeffjenn
01-26-2009, 00:23
Sounds like everyone had a great time! Glad all trips were made safely. I just have to know, from the pics in Slowhike's gallery, why did FishinFinn have a refridgerator wrapped in green fabric strapped to his back:lol::scared::lol:

Mule
01-26-2009, 03:55
Did anyone else have their dog try to roll in them when they got home? :rolleyes:

And next year, I say "Pony on a spit!" if those buggers get in our food again. Why would they go for beer?

I also have to say it was a pleasure hanging with y'all, and getting to meet you! Now I truly know that the "Internet Hammock Weirdo's," as my wife and co-workers call you, are truly great people. Still Internet weirdos, but good people. ;):thumbup: Special thanks to all the people who put in the effort to make this the great experience it was. And to Grizz for the "shuggies." And to Ed and Pan and Smee for the raffle, as well as mrprez's contribution (I really wanted that stickpic.) This was a very memorable event, and just a heck of a lot of good, clean (mostly) fun. I hope everyone made it back home safe, so we can all hang and hike together again sometime.
Fishinfin, If by StickPic you mean that gadget that attaches a camera to your walking stick, PM me your address and I will drop it in the mail. Mule

MacEntyre
01-26-2009, 06:16
...next year, I say "Pony on a spit!" if those buggers get in our food again.
I'd be happy to feed 'em if they would pack stuff in and out for us. Wouldn't that be unique? A state park with pack horses hanging around, willing to carry a load for a few carrots...

As I anticipated, my daughter saw pictures of the ponies, and she wants to go to Grayson.

Ashman
01-26-2009, 06:37
I went with my daughter last summer with NCP and his daughter, a great daddy/daughter location!

Just Jeff
01-26-2009, 07:08
Yep - we all had an awesome time, too. It's amazing how we can get so many internet people together and everyone is civil to each other all weekend.

Big thanks to the Jacks and Ed for the raffle, and to everyone who brought something to make Saturday's dinner so good. Too many brats to eat, lots of sweets to keep the calories up in the cold, and plenty of firewood to keep us warm. "Brats out!"

The hourly readings on my Brunton show it was coldest Saturday night at ~10:30p...I read 13F on mine hanging a few hundred feet from the shelter. It read 16F at midnight, then jumped to ~22F for the rest of the night. It was a balmy 25F for the pack-up Sunday morning. And hardly any wind at all. Great hangout.

Key things I learned.
- Don't use a full cider jug to cushion your fall. At least not on ice.
- Ponies are only cute until they go for your food, beer or hammock. Then they're just big rodents.
- The MWUQ works awesome as a top quilt too. But it's so thick that it's hard to not breathe on it so a facemask is important.
- The JRB hood is so warm that I didn't want to wear a facemask so my MWUQ was wet all the way down its entire length! And I wasn't using a sock or anything! Some sites had lots of condensation and others had none.
- The winter tarps make double hammocking MUCH easier. I used the JRB 11x10 and it's so nice to just set up camp and not have to worry about keeping both of us dry. Did an awesome job of blocking whatever wind was out there, too.

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 08:13
Me, Skippy and BooBoo made it back yesterday. Thanks to Skippy for driving the truck back to his place. Gave me some time to catch some zzzzzzs. Had a great time, met a lot of people and gave away some knives. I was plenty warm in my Hennessy/PeaPod/Speer Winter Tarp arrangement. Looking forward to the SEHHA event this spring in Hot Springs. The venison bacon was the best!

Just Jeff
01-26-2009, 08:19
One more thing I think is amazing - so many people get their first hangs in winter. All three of my friends had sub-freezing temps for their first time ever in a hammock. Every year there's at least one newbie hanging in gear scrounged from HF's members. Anyone else get their first hang last weekend?

This shows two things.
- HF members are generous.
- Generosity is a good rationalization for our gear addiction. Is it still an addiction if you're sharing?

fin
01-26-2009, 08:28
why did FishinFinn have a refridgerator wrapped in green fabric strapped to his back:lol::scared::lol:

I was smuggling pony meat! Somebody else suggested I was smuggling immigrants over the border in my pack.

Fishinfin, If by StickPick you mean that gadget that attaches a camera to your walking stick, PM me your address and I will drop it in the mail. Mule

Mule, you were as lucky as NCPatrick! Keep your stickpic, I just need to stop at the local camera store and buy one. Heck, I started making a video on Saturday morning, my batteries ran out down at the "watering hole", and I just never got back to it - too busy doing the hike to the different parking lots OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. I barely took another picture. And Walks In The Dark, you earned your name again. It was a pleasure hiking out in the dark with you on Friday to the parking lot, and it's too bad you didn't use the Clark that first night. Heck, If I had known that Stormcrow and Thorwren had showed up with more of my extra gear that they weren't even going to use, we wouldn't have even had to make that walk.

I will probably get around to thanking everyone eventually by name, but for now I have to give a shout out to Jeff, Slowhike and AngrySparrow, for being the quiet gears behind some of this machine - especially at the packing up/cleaning up stage. And HappyCamper and Thorwren, you are truly amazing women, and very happy, pleasant people to be around. I rarely run into happy women in the woods - you two are a rare breed.:cool:

NCPatrick
01-26-2009, 08:29
Hope everyone got back ok.

I had a great time this weekend. Good to see so many folks make it, visit with friends and meet new ones.

I won a few things at the raffle, so my string of good luck continued. Lots of other folks won multiple things as well (Hooch, AnimalControl, Slowhike, etc.), and Mule won the grand prize JRB MWUQ (read up on your acronyms). Thanks again Ed, Pan, Smee, and everyone who helped make the raffle a huge success for HF.

I won the posolutely, absotively last pair of unopened JRB Python skins, although I'm sure Pan'll find just one more set in the warehouse for next year's raffle ;)

At FishinFinn's suggestion, I took a pack of venison bacon to take home, then learned next day that I almost got visited by a pitchfork and torchlight mob to get it back. I would have shared :). Great stuff, by the way. We had fantastic stew made by Thorwren and Stormcrow, venison, brats, more great food than you could possibly imagine. Nobody went hungry, that's for sure.

Headchange made videos of folks explaining their setups, and interviewed the Jacks and Ed Speer. Should be a great vid to watch once he's through piecing it all together.

When the ponies were out in the field, they were "cute". When they were mooching and pooping at the shelter, they were a bit more annoying. I saw one go through the campsites and munch on whatever he found (he ate someone's tea-bags they had left out). Had to drive them out before they finally decided to move on.

I don't know what the final count was, but just about everyone who said they'd make it actually did make it. We even had a surprise appearance by Angry Sparrow.

Had a great time, looking forward to next hangout!

thorwren
01-26-2009, 08:49
I was impressed but not surprised with the generosity and camaraderie of the "Internet weirdos". What a relaxing weekend with great folks. I know we had concerns about me keeping warm this weekend, and I had my doubts. After a 10 degree night, I can solidly attest that a chronically cold person can achieve warmth with the right gear! NOW your wives have no more excuses. ;)

MacEntyre
01-26-2009, 08:53
BTW, AngrySparrow, the small, DIY skins you gave me are the perfect size for the Speer Winter Tarp prototype that Hooch gave me. Black skins for a white tarp. :cool:

Yes, Jeff, generous are the HF hangers! :thumbup:

...still can't get used to the complete disconnect between the name AngrySparrow and the man. :huh:

angrysparrow
01-26-2009, 09:03
We even had a surprise appearance by Angry Sparrow.

Had a great time, looking forward to next hangout!

I really enjoyed meeting everyone!

Grizz told me that he imagined that if ever he met me at a hangout that he thought that I'd just appear out of nowhere, and that's exactly what I did. :)

BTW, AngrySparrow, the small, DIY skins you gave me are the perfect size for the Speer Winter Tarp prototype that Hooch gave me. Black skins for a white tarp. :cool:

I'm so glad they're working out for you!

...still can't get used to the complete disconnect between the name AngrySparrow and the man. :huh:

Shhh! Don't tell everyone that I'm really not angry... :)

Ramblinrev
01-26-2009, 09:14
Shhh! Don't tell everyone that I'm really not angry... :)

too late.....

GrizzlyAdams
01-26-2009, 09:21
BTW, AngrySparrow, the small, DIY skins you gave me are the perfect size for the Speer Winter Tarp prototype that Hooch gave me....

So this gifting is a story worth recording for posterity. Hooch won one a significant prize, one of the two Speer winter tarps. On accepting this prize he said

Attention everyone! I am blessed already with ownership of a SWT, and certainly don't need another. In the spirit of HF Brotherhood and Friendship, I will give this tarp to one in need. Brother MacEntryre, I have been impressed with your diligence to learn the art of hammocking, with your generosity, and also your d*mn funky hat. I wonder if you would honor me by accepting this SWT.
something like that, anyway :D

It was indeed a generous action by Hooch.

Grizz

NCPatrick
01-26-2009, 09:29
So this gifting a story worth recording for posterity. Hooch won one a significant prize, one of the two Speer winter tarps. On accepting this prize he said
something like that, anyway :D

It was indeed a generous action by Hooch.

Grizz

Almost took his head off with it too... :D

HappyCamper
01-26-2009, 09:45
Hey all. I got back home safe and sound. Roads perfectly clear but have to admit that 6 hr. drive down and then 6 hr. back extremely tiresome and tedious. But ahhh, the hang was so awesome. I really didn't think I'd get to go. Thought the roads would be icy and I'd wimp out on the drive. I'm so glad I made it for my first winter hang. HF people are the best.

Mule
01-26-2009, 10:13
Me, Skippy and BooBoo made it back yesterday. Thanks to Skippy for driving the truck back to his place. Gave me some time to catch some zzzzzzs. Had a great time, met a lot of people and gave away some knives. I was plenty warm in my Hennessy/PeaPod/Speer Winter Tarp arrangement. Looking forward to the SEHHA event this spring in Hot Springs. The venison bacon was the best!
Mrprez, it was very good to meet you. As with most of the people there, there just wasn't enough time to get to know everyone as well as I'd liked, but I want to thank you for the gift of the knives. Your gesture and that of all the rest of the folk who came made it a time I shall never forget. A real good time, indeed. Mule

DougTheElder
01-26-2009, 10:23
Indeed, a good time was had by all!!! Special thanks to the Jacks and Ed for their contributions...their generosity was equaled only by everyone's enthusiasm for purchasing the raffle tickets. For next year I suggest that NCP, as an act of generosity, syndicate his head with the proceeds going to HF. I never really thought that rubbing his head would bring luck, but now I'm a believer. Put me down for at least one share. I, too, enjoyed meeting so many of you. It was really an overload to keep everyone straight...the name tags were great. And the hike up the mountain was a small price to pay for even a small taste of Thorwren's stew...There are too many good things to say about the good time and the people...the effort that many of you went to for the benefit of the others was impressive. Heroic, even. This was truly a giving, caring, fun-loving group...I'm proud to have been in your company for the weekend.

MacEntyre
01-26-2009, 10:45
...also your d*mn funky hat.
At funky as your own hat, Professor McGrizz! As I said this weekend, you and I were identifiable by our hats.

Thanks again for the KAQ! I'll have to keep it hidden from my daughter; she wants to put it under her Byer Mosquito Traveller.

- MacEntyre

WrongTurn
01-26-2009, 11:12
I'm sorry I had to bail early Saturday, luckily got back to the car right as my lungs started to go south luckily had oxygen and portable nebulizer in my car. Made for an interesting drive back home to say the least. Have to extend a big thanks to the Jacks for bringing me my STLs and straps even though I did them no justice in my backwards setting up of them on Friday. NCPatrick the figure 9s which he has graciously bestowed on me.

Met alot of great people only caused one serious accident with a ill placed guyline from my tarp. ( How is JD doing?)

Oh and if anyone wants a snowpeak titanium spork I left mine on the rock to the right of Wise shelter by the snowmen. Doctari thats why I bring so many spoons.:lol: Hope to see all of you at Hot Springs. Oh and I received my new trail name, WrongTurn. Spent between 30 and 45 minutes on the AT saturday early morning because I got turned around after going out to answer natures call. Luckily I saw someone elses headlamp light and I always keep my compass and a map in my cargo pocket of my Hyvent pants. If not who knows where I would have ended up.

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 11:42
Who was it that brought the dog? I saw them for a bit on Saturday and then not again the rest of the time we were there. Very nice dog! Makes me want to get a Golden!!!

Ramblinrev
01-26-2009, 11:43
was that skydog? cool dog and JD is cool too.

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 11:54
was that skydog? cool dog and JD is cool too.

Sorry, it wasn't a Lab, it was a Golden Retriever.

Doctari
01-26-2009, 11:57
Who was it that brought the dog? I saw them for a bit on Saturday and then not again the rest of the time we were there. Very nice dog! Makes me want to get a Golden!!!

Refrigerator.

Ramblinrev
01-26-2009, 11:58
goldens are lovely dogs... I gots one but it warn't me.

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 12:05
Refrigerator.

Thanks, we saw you all walking back to the shelter as we were heading back down to the cars Saturday morning. Sure was a nice dog.

Mule
01-26-2009, 12:10

Here are a couple shots of the dog. The owner is is the back. Mule

WrongTurn
01-26-2009, 12:12
That was an amazing dog, darby and I ran into him on the way up to the cars Saturday AM. I understand why some people don't like dogs on the trail, but this dog is ok in my book.

angrysparrow
01-26-2009, 12:30
Here are a few more pics from the hangout -

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/sign_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4867&c=18) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/group-cooking_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4868&c=18)http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/../gallery/files/4/0/4/cooking-closeup_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/../gallery/showimage.php?i=4869&c=18) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/my_hang_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4873&c=2)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/../gallery/files/4/0/4/ponies_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/../gallery/showimage.php?i=4872&c=18)http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/bridge_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4871&c=18) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/mod-squad_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4870&c=18)http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/dayhike-view_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4874&c=11)

HappyCamper
01-26-2009, 13:19
(How is JD doing?)

As most at the hang already know, JD (Skydog) took a hard fall to the ribs Friday onto a small broken tree trunk spike. I’ll let JD tell his story if he wants, but a big thank you to HnryClay for helping JD hike out. I know JD wanted to hike out his own gear because he didn't ask for help and headed out a few minutes before me. I met HnryClay hiking out on the trail and then we caught up to JD who was actually making pretty good time, but you could tell he was in a lot of pain.

As soon as HnryClay saw that JD was struggling with his front and back packs, he offered help and took JD’s front pack. Plus he hiked out faster so that he could go back and take JD’s backpack as well. HnryClay – thanks so much.

JD did better sitting so we were hopeful that he'd be OK for the long drive home. I haven't heard from him (I'm hoping he's at the doctor's). I will give an update if I hear anything if he doesn't post here first.

Happy Camper

Kanguru
01-26-2009, 13:20
I had to leave on Saturday evening as well due to work obligations. Really enjoyed the event! Thanks to all who went way beyond with food. Great group indeed!!!

MacEntyre
01-26-2009, 14:07
On Saturday, HnryClay, Compass and me went on a wonderful hike along the ridge to Rhododendron Gap, where Compass hiked through three years ago. HnryClay knows those hills pretty well. He's a great fellow to have along!

animalcontrol
01-26-2009, 14:13
Just wanted to second (third, forth, etc) how great this event went.
Outstanding location and people...I couldn't have asked for anything better.

HappyCamper
01-26-2009, 14:31
JD update:

----------

"i am a-ok - sitting and the drive home is not painful

hard to type - just a couple broken ribs

did e-room 4 xrays"

------------

Mule
01-26-2009, 16:43
JD update:

----------

did e-room 4 xrays"

------------
Broken ribs are painful, very. Take care. Hope to see you on another hang soon. Mule

Peter_pan
01-26-2009, 16:47
Compas, Smee and I got home safely....We had a great hang IMHO.

Thanks to the organizers for all the coordination.

Thanks to all who brought great chow... Special mention for the Venison dogs and bacon from fishinfinn.

Real special thanks to all who baked the scrumpous cookies and macaroons and cinimin rolls and kindly sent them with their special hangers to add to our feast.

Welcome and thanks to Ed Speer for joining with the Jacks in sponsoring the Gear raffle for the benefit of HF and WB.

Thanks for Doug the Elder sponsoring the moderators present with raffle tickets... Thanks to the moderators for all they do everyday.

Thanks to Grizz for donating the proceeds of his wrist wraps "Shuggies", I think he called them.

Thanks to all who supported the gear raffle.

FTR.... The gear raffle proceeds came to $690.... Grizz's fine Shuggies brought $60.... A check for $750 was sent to Attroll at noon today.... And yes, I did suggest that he fly the Hammock Forum banner on the Whiteblaze rotating banners section for a few months in appreciation of the HF support.

Pan

NotToWorry
01-26-2009, 17:14
MrPrez, did you get the package I left on your car hood Sun am? I left early & didn't get the chance to meet up with you again in the parking lot

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 18:09
MrPrez, did you get the package I left on your car hood Sun am? I left early & didn't get the chance to meet up with you again in the parking lot

Hi Ed,
I sure did! Making the pillows now. I have the prototype all done, now just to work out the kinks and then make the real ones. Thanks for bringing that to the hangout with you!

John

Kanguru
01-26-2009, 18:22
JD update:

----------

did e-room 4 xrays"

------------

JD,
Hope you will be back to 100% soon!!

GrizzlyAdams
01-26-2009, 18:26
At funky as your own hat, Professor McGrizz! As I said this weekend, you and I were identifiable by our hats.

Thanks again for the KAQ! I'll have to keep it hidden from my daughter; she wants to put it under her Byer Mosquito Traveller.

- MacEntyre

I'm a fan of funky hats! Made mine from $3/yd fleece, scraps of Ed's chocolate brown 1.9 oz rip stop, and a band of stretchy fleece. My head stayed warm all weekend.

That quilt is a fine match with your camo tarp. Looking good and staying warm!

Grizz

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 18:33
There was some disagreement about the howling we heard at night. Some say coyotes, some said fox.

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Wild_Coyote_sounds.aspx

I'd have to go with the former.

Shug
01-26-2009, 18:39
Reading all of this makes me PROUD to be a part of this forum....
Sounds like those of us unable to attend really missed something special.

fin
01-26-2009, 18:40
There was some disagreement about the howling we heard at night. Some say coyotes, some said fox.

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Wild_Coyote_sounds.aspx

I'd have to go with the former.

Our resident Natural Resources expert, FireWalker (Rob) disagreed. According to him, he is very familiar with coyotes, having worked in some capacity with them, and the noises we heard were definitely coyotes. I'm sure we could get him to pipe in.

Mule
01-26-2009, 18:47
Our resident Natural Resources expert, FireWalker (Rob) disagreed. According to him, he is very familiar with coyotes, having worked in some capacity with them, and the noises we heard were definitely coyotes. I'm sure we could get him to pipe in.
I hear coyotes all the time in Indiana. There aren't enough foxes in Indiana to talk about. I think they were coyotes. I thought I heard Wile E. once.

fin
01-26-2009, 18:56
I hear coyotes all the time in Indiana. There aren't enough foxes in Indiana to talk about. I think they were coyotes. I thought I heard Wile E. once.

I hear them nearly every night at my house, and I am positive they were coyotes. But we have someone trained in NR, and he also was positive they were coyotes.

Mrprez
01-26-2009, 18:56
I was of the opinion they were coyotes. I've heard them numerous times in various places. If you check the fox sound at the same website, they are quite different from a coyote.

duckobx
01-26-2009, 19:16
Looks like everyone had a great time..wish circumstances would of been better for me... a neck injury which happened Tuesday prevented me from attending :(:eek: I was all packed and ready..moving along..Darby and smithobx filled me in and from pics and posts boy wish I was there..
That just makes the next one only 362 days away:D:D..

duckobx

rigidpsycho
01-26-2009, 19:17
Looks like I missed out on very nice and fun hang. Will have to try and make it next year.

WalksInDark
01-26-2009, 19:22
I dashed off my first posting just to reassure kind and concerned folks (you know who you are) that I survived hiking back and forth to the shelter a second time. :confused: Interesting enough, I saw no ponies. Conclusion: People = Food = Ponies.

It was a pleasure to meet each and every one of you. My only regret is that time did not allow me the opportunity to listen/talk to each of you. While the connection between some of your name tags/trail names and faces have already started to fade (ain’t it great getting older), I look forward to seeing all of you again at other hangs.

Lessons Learned From The Winter Hang (names omitted to protect the guilty…and also so as not to embarrass the smart, generous, and kind. ):

:thumbup: God Bless: the organizers; the folks who supplied the excellent food; the fire wood/keeping the fire going; those bringing extra hammocks/quilts; those willing to cook over a smoky fire so that the rest of us could keep eating……..and eating……..and eating; and, in particular, the people who cleaned up at the end of the Hang.

:woot: Keeping your camera battery warm, without also keeping your camera warm is an exercise in futility. (For those of you who believe in redundancy, two cameras freeze as well as one camera.).

:glare: Why is it that when some people hear the phrase “Wild Animal,” they have an irresistible urge to immediately go up to the animal and try and pet them?

:eek: Bright and reflective guy lines help prevent falls/injuries.

:rolleyes: No matter how expensive the boot, the sole will still burn if placed too close to the fire.

:shades: Never under estimate the slowest person in your hiking group….as may they be carrying all of the stuff that fell out of your pack as you sailed along the way. :jj:.

:thumbdown: Wet socks cause colder feet. Also, when it is time to bed down, putting hand warmers in each of your boots and topping them off with dry socks keeps your boots from freezing. :thumbup1:.

:D It is far better to fess up to ignorance up front, so that you can learn (hopefully, less painfully) the easier way to do almost anything having to do with hiking and hammocking.

:laugh: Anyone who still thinks that there is a “Weaker Sex” obviously did not go to the Winter Hang.

:blush: There are many folks on HF who could knit a Volkswagen if only you gave them some knitting needles, steel wool pads,…..and a challenge.

:boggle: Indians do not lust after cattle when they have venison, enough said.

:thumbup1: Not hearing “I’m right and you’re wrong;” and/or “There is only one solution;” for an entire 3 day time period is so refreshing!

:cursing: Waiting until you are fording shallow streams in low winter temperatures is not the time to discover that your “supposedly” waterproof boots aren’t.

:jj: Just because folks are physically outside the main group, does not mean that they are not having a good time.

:p A good attitude can overcome bad/wrong gear.

:scared: Do not fail to immediately react when folks say, “Excuse me, but that’s my chair.”

:unsure: Buying YakTrax versus Kahtoolas (http://www.rei.com/product/774966) is a terrible place to economize….and may also be very hazardous to your health.

:o Never underestimate the power of the cold.

:D It takes “Real Men” to pull a garden cart through mud, snow, over rocks, and fording streams.

:) Trail names have little or no relationship to the personality of the person bearing them.

:tongueup: Alcohol stoves do not fail in temps below freezing. By actual observation, they work well even at approximately 13 degrees.

:huh: Following footsteps in the snow can take you in directions/places you would never even begin to imagine; but not necessarily where you want to go.

:crying In unknown terrain at night, when heavy mists/fog roll in and your visibility goes down to six feet or less, you better have taken a heading on your compass from the trailhead before you started, plus have a spare headlight handy.

:mad: When you are getting ready to leave your vehicle at the trail head triple check that all lights and other electrical devices are turned off.

:thumbup: Good luck trumps having extra tickets at the raffle.

:lol: Last and certainly not least, never wait until after sundown to go to an open air privy. In the same vein, baby wipes/wet naps are completely useless once they freeze….and you do not want to discover this important fact when you are trying to finish your privy activities.

In the company of so many experienced hangers, there were enough “Teachable Moments,” for even me to be able to take in lots of new helpful information. Thank You All!

P.S. Once I figure out how to post them, I will be putting up some pictures from the Winter Hang.

Iafte
01-26-2009, 19:30
I want to know, how spread out were all the hangers?

angrysparrow
01-26-2009, 19:35
I want to know, how spread out were all the hangers?

Most were within a 300 yard radius, with a few scattered futher.

fin
01-26-2009, 19:47
I dashed off my first posting just to reassure kind and concerned folks (you know who you are) that I survived hiking back and forth to the shelter a second time. :confused: Interesting enough, I saw no ponies. Conclusion: People = Food = Ponies.

It was a pleasure to meet each and every one of you. My only regret is that time did not allow me the opportunity to listen/talk to each of you. While the connection between some of your name tags/trail names and faces have already started to fade (ain’t it great getting older), I look forward to seeing all of you again at other hangs.

Lessons Learned From The Winter Hang (names omitted to protect the guilty…and also so as not to embarrass the smart, generous, and kind. ):

:thumbup: God Bless: the organizers; the folks who supplied the excellent food; the fire wood/keeping the fire going; those bringing extra hammocks/quilts; those willing to cook over a smoky fire so that the rest of us could keep eating……..and eating……..and eating; and, in particular, the people who cleaned up at the end of the Hang.

:woot: Keeping your camera battery warm, without also keeping your camera warm is an exercise in futility. (For those of you who believe in redundancy, two cameras freeze as well as one camera.).

:glare: Why is it that when some people hear the phrase “Wild Animal,” they have an irresistible urge to immediately go up to the animal and try and pet them?

:rolleyes: No matter how expensive the boot, the sole will still burn if placed too close to the fire.

:shades: Never under estimate the slowest person in your hiking group….as may they be carrying all of the stuff that fell out of your pack as you sailed along the way. :jj:.

:thumbdown: Wet socks cause colder feet. Also, when it is time to bed down, putting hand warmers in each of your boots and topping them off with dry socks keeps your boots from freezing. :thumbup1:.

:D It is far better to fess up to ignorance up front, so that you can learn (hopefully, less painfully) the easier way to do almost anything having to do with hiking and hammocking.

:laugh: Anyone who still thinks that there is a “Weaker Sex” obviously did not go to the Winter Hang.

:blush: There are many folks on HF who could knit a Volkswagen if only you gave them some knitting needles, steel wool pads,…..and a challenge.

:boggle: Indians do not lust after cattle when they have venison, enough said.

:thumbup1: Not hearing “I’m right and you’re wrong;” and/or “There is only one solution;” for an entire 3 day time period is so refreshing!

:cursing: Waiting until you are fording shallow streams in low winter temperatures is not the time to discover that your “supposedly” waterproof boots aren’t.

:jj: Just because folks are physically outside the main group, does not mean that they are not having a good time.

:p A good attitude can overcome bad/wrong gear.

:scared: Do not fail to immediately react when folks say, “Excuse me, but that’s my chair.”

:unsure: Buying YakTrax versus Kahtoolas (http://www.rei.com/product/774966) is a terrible place to economize….and may also be very hazardous to your health.

:o Never underestimate the power of the cold.

:D It takes “Real Men” to pull a garden cart through mud, snow, over rocks, and fording streams.

:) Trail names have little or no relationship to the personality of the person bearing them.

:tongueup: Alcohol stoves do not fail in temps below freezing. By actual observation, they work well even at approximately 13 degrees.

:huh: Following footsteps in the snow can take you in directions/places you would never even begin to imagine; but not necessarily where you want to go.

:crying In unknown terrain at night, when heavy mists/fog roll in and your visibility goes down to six feet or less, you better have taken a heading on your compass from the trailhead before you started, plus have a spare headlight handy.

:mad: When you are getting ready to leave your vehicle at the trail head triple check that all lights and other electrical devices are turned off.

:thumbup: Good luck trumps having extra tickets at the raffle.

:lol: Last and certainly not least, never wait until after sundown to go to an open air privy. In the same vein, baby wipes/wet naps are completely useless once they freeze….and you do not want to discover this important fact when you are trying to finish your privy activities.

In the company of so many experienced hangers, there were enough “Teachable Moments,” for even me to be able to take in lots of new helpful information. Thank You All!

P.S. Once I figure out how to post them, I will be putting up some pictures from the Winter Hang.

In the history of hanging, finer words of wisdom have seldom been uttered. Excellent job saying what a lot of us were thinking, feeling, and experienced. I'll walk in the dark with you anytime - it was a pleasure hiking and talking with an ex-WIite. And I won't mention your choice of sleeping gear.:laugh:

MacEntyre
01-26-2009, 19:57
In our little clearing in the Rhododendrons, five hammocks shared eight trees.

It's amazing how many trees grow about 13 feet from each other!

Mule
01-26-2009, 20:11
Some were commenting on some of the ice cleats seen on the hang. I would like to show you what I think are the best, in fact, the USPS uses these, the $45 dollar ones. I have tried others but these work so well. Take a look.
http://www.noslipstore.com/shopbybrand-32north.html

Mule

2Questions
01-26-2009, 21:05
I'm sold on these.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/6/kahtoola_microspikes_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4877&c=14)
Don't slip off and are tough on ice. Downside...you have to watch how you pack them. I put them in a small Glad container with screw on lid.

hnryclay
01-26-2009, 21:05
I really enjoyed this weekend, nice to meet all of the people that came out. Got to see a wide range of hammocks in use, which was really helpful. The people that attended the hang were some of the nicest I have ever met. Thanks to the raffle, I now have a tarp, it's just missing a hammock.

2Questions
01-26-2009, 21:08
BTW Mule,
I would have liked to hear a mini concert from you on the backpacker guitar thingy. I think you have some good sounds. I only heard a little bit...but I liked it!!

slowhike
01-26-2009, 21:15
Thanks again to all those who contributed to the raffle/fund raiser. And thanks again to DougtheElder for buying a ticket for each of the mods!

Thanks to MrPrez for the pocket knife & Grizz for the wrist... I mean Shuggies!

And ALL the great food!!!
Sorry I missed most of those that stopped at the restaraunt Sun. We had one more day hiker out on the trails & I just wanted to be sure he came back safe<G>.
I felt a little bad that I didn't wait on "Walks In Dark", to be sure he made it back safely to his van from his final trip back to the shelter for the rest of his gear.
I was glad to see him post later Sun eve.

I was also glad to see that Angrysparrow wasn't angry at all:D... but I already had that figured out<G>.

After I herd others describe more about the difficulties that "mtnkngxt" had, I wished that I had thought to offer to walk out to his car w/ him.
Glad to see him still posting & recovering.

I hope JD will recover quick too.

I'm still impressed that so many were willing to travel so far to be part of the 3dr Annual HF Winter Hang.
Glad people did so well & took care of each other!

Hope to see some of y'all at Hot Springs!!!

DougTheElder
01-26-2009, 21:29
Reading all of this makes me PROUD to be a part of this forum....
Sounds like those of us unable to attend really missed something special.

We had everything anyone could hope for except a "professional fool"...most of us are merely amateurs...wish you were there.

WrongTurn
01-26-2009, 21:40
No worries on the walk out. Was with Darby and Doctari was right behind us as well. I'm typically fine, but just got over a bad case of phneumonia and the cold air just aggrivated the little lung function I have. Better to have bailed early then make extra work for the medics among us. I'm getting a Underquilt from JRB for my birthday next month from my family, so with that and my down bag as a quilt I'll be ready for Hot Springs. Just need a SWT now and I think I'm getting one of those here very soon.

Shug
01-26-2009, 21:47
We had everything anyone could hope for except a "professional fool"...most of us are merely amateurs...wish you were there.
If all Fools wore a crown we would all be Kings..... or as they say under the Big Top ... Clowns are the Pegs upon which the Circus hangs.
Thanks for the thought. I really hope to make one of these "hangs" and share in the hearty fellowship and Brother/Sisterhood....
Cool

slowhike
01-26-2009, 21:49
No worries on the walk out. Was with Darby and Doctari was right behind us as well. I'm typically fine, but just got over a bad case of phneumonia and the cold air just aggrivated the little lung function I have. Better to have bailed early then make extra work for the medics among us. I'm getting a Underquilt from JRB for my birthday next month from my family, so with that and my down bag as a quilt I'll be ready for Hot Springs. Just need a SWT now and I think I'm getting one of those here very soon.

Glad to hear that you had people w/ you. Darby may have told me that & I just forgot... what was it they said would be the first thing to go when I hit 50???:rolleyes:
Hope we'll see you at Hot Springs.

Hetairoi
01-27-2009, 02:09
I'd like to say thanks to everyone for a great weekend. I got to meet new people and go new places, doesn't get better than that ... oh, unless the people are all sharing knowledge and gear and lots and LOTS of food and fun.

And especially thanks to Pan, Smee and NotToWorry for the raffle. Oh, and thanks Patrick for letting me rub your head, it WORKED!

And thanks to Sparrow and Slowhike for their patience (PONIES!)

I'm gonna put some of these in the gallery here soon, but for now I've got pics up here (http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnJHayes/MtRogersHangout2009#). Don't miss JD vs the HippyPony! (http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnJHayes/MtRogersHangout2009#5295859179094580418)

Hetairoi
John
Bubba
That guy with the hole in his head and the great big camera

MacEntyre
01-27-2009, 07:13
I'm sold on these.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/6/kahtoola_microspikes_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4877&c=14)
Wish I'd had a pair... those two young'uns I followed for 7 miles on Saturday just waltzed right along the icy trail, with me slipping and sliding after them.

Just Jeff
01-27-2009, 08:03
Those would have saved us another gallon of cider, too...I fell on the ice and busted one in my pack.
- "Jeff, your pack is dripping."
- "What's it taste like?"
- "Cider."
True story.

NCPatrick
01-27-2009, 08:19
Those would have saved us another gallon of cider, too...I fell on the ice and busted one in my pack.
- "Jeff, your pack is dripping."
- "What's it taste like?"
- "Cider."
True story.
Who was brave enough to taste it? :eek:

Mule
01-27-2009, 08:54
I'd like to say thanks to everyone for a great weekend. I got to meet new people and go new places, doesn't get better than that ... oh, unless the people are all sharing knowledge and gear and lots and LOTS of food and fun.

And especially thanks to Pan, Smee and NotToWorry for the raffle. Oh, and thanks Patrick for letting me rub your head, it WORKED!

And thanks to Sparrow and Slowhike for their patience (PONIES!)

I'm gonna put some of these in the gallery here soon, but for now I've got pics up here (http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnJHayes/MtRogersHangout2009#). Don't miss JD vs the HippyPony! (http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnJHayes/MtRogersHangout2009#5295859179094580418)

Hetairoi
John
Bubba
That guy with the hole in his head and the great big camera
Really fine photos, thanks, Mule

Mule
01-27-2009, 08:56
BTW Mule,
I would have liked to hear a mini concert from you on the backpacker guitar thingy. I think you have some good sounds. I only heard a little bit...but I liked it!!
Slowhike and I were really both out of practice and cold fingers. Someday we may actually play a tune. Thanks for the kudos, Mule

headchange4u
01-27-2009, 08:57
Kinda late checking in, but I had a TERRIFIC time at this years hang out. It was really nice to see old friends and nice to meet new ones.

I did manage to shoot some video on this trip. Stay tuned for a interview with Pan and Smee, interview with Ed Speer plus Ed talking about using vapor barriers in a hammock system, a few people talking about their setups, and some highlights from the trip. I hope to have the vids posted by this weekend. I'll get some pics up soon.

thorwren
01-27-2009, 12:19
We're test driving Fishinfinn's Warbonnet in our living room. I just put our 2 year old down for a nap. His last whines..... "I wanna nap in the hammooocckk." We start them early. :)

stormcrow
01-27-2009, 12:22

umm, yeah...what he said :blush:

Those short ponies really wanted some food man! I know at least one of them has some decent reach on that hind kick. And my wife grew up with horses. Sigh, that might have been a "here's you sign" moment if I had been 6 inches closer...

Yep! I tore out one of ours when I tripped on it. Oh well, back to the sewing machine!

Or if the fire gradually moves closer to the Boot/Shoe. LOL.

THANK YOU a million times WalksInDark. If I have not mentioned before YOU ARE THE MAN. Not only did you have a monster load of your own but you picked up my crap as I dropped it down the trail in the snow and ice. I owe ya brother! In the mean time I need to get a second backpack! LOL.

Thorwren and Happycamper were awesome! There was another lady there but I did not catch her name. I think she was with the group that JustJeff knows. Anyway, all of the ladies were real troopers. Although, funny, Jenny (thorwren) said, "why is such a big deal that a woman go on this winter campout? We are just as capable as men!" I had to explain to her that it was not the fact that she COULD do it but that she WAS doing it. :lol:

Maybe Real CRAZY Men do! That was something I am pretty sure I WONT be doing again. LOL. Things will be a little different next year weight wise. There is a good chance I will NOT be bringing in SPLIT FIREWOOD! As nice as it was...I will just forage next time...LOL

HAHA. We will have stories to tell! At least we did eventually get there. I will say that I have been on nicer night hikes though! LOL.

I was telling FishinFinn that on the way out to the parking area we were pretty sad that it was all over so fast. Jenny even got a little "misty eyed". We will be around for more of these, trust me. I will probably have at least one kid with me on the next one too.

Adam

stormcrow
01-27-2009, 12:24
We're test driving Fishinfinn's Warbonnet in our living room. I just put our 2 year old down for a nap. His last whines..... "I wanna nap in the hammooocckk." We start them early. :)

LOL. The problem is that he will not nap in that thing. He will just slide back and forth in it on the slippery smooth liner like it is his personal playground

You know, UPS loses packages sometimes....I'm just sayin'.

fin
01-27-2009, 13:44
Maybe Real CRAZY Men do! That was something I am pretty sure I WONT be doing again. LOL. Things will be a little different next year weight wise. There is a good chance I will NOT be bringing in SPLIT FIREWOOD! As nice as it was...I will just forage next time...LOL

I'm with you there, brother!:laugh: I only pulled a very short length to see how bad it was, and pushed on the uphill stretches. That was a beast, and will never be repeated.

I was telling FishinFinn that on the way out to the parking area we were pretty sad that it was all over so fast. Jenny even got a little "misty eyed". We will be around for more of these, trust me. I will probably have at least one kid with me on the next one too.

More red-heads with strong legs and big stomachs!:scared: Next year I'm adding at least a day to the trip and getting in an extra day of hanging/hiking.

You know, UPS loses packages sometimes....I'm just sayin'.

:scared::sneaky::huh::unsure::glare::cursing: :crying:crying:crying

It is a one-of-a-kind, didn't I tell you? I know I gushed over it in my post, but now I have a witness to just how comfortable the combination of design/fabric is. I wasn't exaggerating, and now stormcrow can second that assessment.

Doctari
01-27-2009, 14:06
By the way, I have pulled the wagon less distance, on ground much less rough & hilly, than you guys did, with less weight by far, & IT KICKS MY BUTT. So, you pulling it full of firewood, well, my hat is off to you!
Yes, I was going to use it myself, ("Sounded like a good idea at the time!") and am glad you guys made use of it, but I'll stick with the sled from now on! Leaving the wagon at home next year. :D

stormcrow
01-27-2009, 14:09
By the way, I have pulled the wagon less distance, on ground much less rough & hilly, than you guys did, with less weight by far, & IT KICKS MY BUTT. So, you pulling it full of firewood, well, my hat is off to you!
Yes, I was going to use it myself, ("Sounded like a good idea at the time!") and am glad you guys made use of it, but I'll stick with the sled from now on! Leaving the wagon at home next year. :D

You can leave it because I wont miss it. But it was nice to have THIS year. I might just have me a little sled next year though! That rig of yours was SWEET!

By they way. I have posted some of the pictures we took on photobucket. Here they are. I think I set it up so that anyone can add to them...I think.

http://gs94.photobucket.com/groups/l89/DOV99TSJDE/

Let me know if it does NOT work.

Adam

TonyF
01-27-2009, 14:53
They are definitely Coyotees as we have a lot of they hanging around our property.
Tony

MacEntyre
01-27-2009, 17:39
...all pulk sleds should have HF bumper stickers:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/2/hf_pulk_sled_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4880&catid=member&imageuser=822)

Here's my overloaded pulk sled, which capsized continually until the load was reduced.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/2/100_6065_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4884&catid=member&imageuser=822)

MacEntyre
01-27-2009, 17:45
The Scot's Red Ensign flies in Virginia!

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/2/100_6030_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4879&catid=member&imageuser=822)

Here's the view from the top of the ridge, on the way to Rhododendron Gap.
Very western looking terrain to me...

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/2/100_6049_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4881&catid=member&imageuser=822) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/2/100_6050_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4882&catid=member&imageuser=822) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/2/100_6054_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4883&catid=member&imageuser=822)

Ok, I think I figured out how you folks handle images... sorry for cluttering things up!

Just Jeff
01-29-2009, 01:10
Got my page up. Handful of pics, a few more borrowed ones, some blurbs on coyotes and ponies, and of course how well the MWUQ worked.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

Best part was definitely meeting all the good folks. It amazes me how every year there are folks whose first night in a hammock is sub-freezing in someone else's gear...b/c HF members always bring extra gear to outfit others. (Or just to show it off, and loaning it out is a nice benefit of having it along!) Good crew of people here.

Mrprez
01-29-2009, 08:17
Got my page up. Handful of pics, a few more borrowed ones, some blurbs on coyotes and ponies, and of course how well the MWUQ worked.

Best part was definitely meeting all the good folks. It amazes me how every year there are folks whose first night in a hammock is sub-freezing in someone else's gear...b/c HF members always bring extra gear to outfit others. (Or just to show it off, and loaning it out is a nice benefit of having it along!) Good crew of people here.

Good report. I spent a lot of time talking to Erik, Nick and Annette. Well, she doesn't really talk too much, but had a good time tending the fire with her. They were all good people and I really enjoyed meeting them. I can't think of too many people I'd like to have with me in a war zone, but I'd take any of those 3 anytime! I hope Joker likes his pillow!

Peter_pan
01-29-2009, 15:51
JJ,

Great report and good photos..... Thanks for putting it together....Book Joker for next years drawing for us...;)

Pan

fin
01-29-2009, 18:27
There was some talk before the hang about a fire-making demo, and I brought my "bag of tricks" with to contribute. But it seems that I missed this demo. Was I out hiking when it happened, or did it just not take place?:confused:

MacEntyre
01-29-2009, 19:19
...might it have been replaced with the boot burning demo?

slowhike
01-29-2009, 19:33
There was some talk before the hang about a fire-making demo, and I brought my "bag of tricks" with to contribute. But it seems that I missed this demo. Was I out hiking when it happened, or did it just not take place?:confused:

No, I think there was just to many people to talk to need any other activities<G>.
Maybe next time!

Just Jeff
01-29-2009, 19:48
I can't think of too many people I'd like to have with me in a war zone, but I'd take any of those 3 anytime! I hope Joker likes his pillow!

Yep - Erik was one of the few people I really felt comfortable with. I could just tell him what needed to be done and it happened. Some kinds of trust can only be earned outside the wire.

We'll probably be in Colorado next January so this may have been our last Mt Rogers hangout for a while. Looking like a December move unless something changes. But if that happens we'll just organize a Colorado winter hang for the same weekend! So....y'all might need a new ticket drawer! I bet Stormcrow and Thorwren could provide a couple.

Re: the fire building demo, I was ready for that too but I think it was just overlooked. I even brought some pitchwood along for folks that have never seen or smelled it...really cool stuff. I was gonna use that for a splitwood fire demonstration but ended up spending all my fire time fishing little coals out of the fire for spoons... :jj: I need to keep my fire skills current anyway...made several one-match fires huddled under a fire in the rain once upon a time, but I rarely even build a campfire when I hike now. LNT and the extra hassle, mainly.

slowhike
01-29-2009, 19:54
Great report Jeff! I hadn't herd about Erik sleeping on the mat:D I'm sorry I didn't get around to talking to them more. So many people.

Looking at pictures from Winter Hang 1 & 2, I can see how much Joker has grown. We sure will miss having you guys close by. I hate we couldn't get together more while you were here. Busy times.

MacEntyre
01-29-2009, 20:33
Glad to know my pair of hatchets were available for coyote defense. :cool:

Someone else told me they saw someone actually chopping wood with them! :eek:
(There were so many saws and axes, I thought those little hatchets would sit there unused.)

slowhike
01-29-2009, 21:01
As soon as I got settled in my hammock Fri night I herd a bird calling near by. It seamed unusual to hear a bird calling that close, at night, in the winter. It continued... nice & clear. It had to be close!

But as it continued to sing, it's songs kept changing??? ...and changing???
I thought to myself... this bird has more songs than a Mocking Bird!!!

Then it began to sound like music??????? AHHH... but then I realized that my IPOD had gotten turned on when I put it above my head:rolleyes::lol::D

BTW... I have bird calls as well as music on my IPOD<G>.

Darby
02-02-2009, 18:36
I just recieved my 9.3 oz. of 900 fp down that I won, from Ed (it took me a while to get my address to him). Since I dont use UQ's and I have a TQ, I decided to try my hand at Thru-Hikers Whitney down coat to go under my hard shell. I have to buy the kit w/down, but that will give me enough down for two coats plus. I am planning on giving the second one to my oldest son when he gets back from the Gulf. This is my first project with down, so I am pretty stoked.