PDA

View Full Version : Just curious... do you camp along the trail or not?

bristolview
01-27-2009, 20:04
When hiking various trails like the AT or other, there are camping areas along the route, usually near streams for water. These areas often have stone fire rings from other hikers, flat spots for tenting, etc.... When I hiked with a tent (ancient history), I would camp in these spots, with anyone else who might have been hiking thru.

Now with a hammock, I find myself often camping off the trail. Sometimes over a hill away from the trail, sometimes nowhere near one of the camping sites, sometimes just bushwacking. With a hammock, no flat spot or smooth spot is needed, which opens up some nice options. I'm no morning person, so I like to sleep in at times. Evening is another story though, and if possible, I'll pitch camp to be able to watch the sunset. The flexibility of the hammock allows a bit of freedom in this.

So, just curious... where do you hangers camp when hiking? Trail camp spots, other?

kwpapke
01-27-2009, 21:32
I agree hammock camping opens up a new set of possibilities, but depending on the venue it still often makes sense to use official campsites.

On the Border Route last year there were almost no campsites, so I just pulled off wherever looked good
On Isle Royale NP I always used official sites. This is a pristine park, and the rangers enforce the rules. OTOH, I didn't necessarily hang over a tent pad.
In Teddy Roosevelt NP last year there were no backcountry campsites, so wherever I ended up was a good spot...
On the Superior Hiking Trail where I spend the most time, for 3-season camping I always use the official sites. They have nice benches, pit latrines, access to water sources, etc.
On the SHT for Winter camping I am more likely to stray off the official sites to find a protected spot out of the wind

I feel we should hang in an official campsite wherever practical to minimize impact. You also have to be very careful on trails that have sections on easements of private property and respect the property owners' rights. You don't want to p*ss off a property owner who has been gracious enough to allow the trail to cross their domain.

--Kurt

Oh-No
01-27-2009, 22:14
[QUOTE=So, just curious... where do you hangers camp when hiking? Trail camp spots, other?[/QUOTE]

I like to take a break in the mid afternoon at camp spot (with water) , make dinner, eat, and clean up.
Then I hike on for several miles and pick a place to sleep.

The mid afternoon break gives new life to my legs and at the end of the day I only have to look for a good place to sleep. (not a place to sleep, cook, & clean up) This tactic gives you the flexibility to pick a good spot to eat, even if it is not a good place to camp. Then you can hike on and not have to worry about finding a good camping & eating spot at the end of the day. Plus you can sleep away from areas which are routinely checked out by critters looking for food. YMMV

Take-a-knee
01-27-2009, 22:26
On the AT down south after June you have to camp in established campsites most of the time because of the underbrush.

Heber
01-27-2009, 22:34
I most often hike along the Ozark Trail here in Missouri. Most places the rule is that backcountry camping is allowed 100 feet off the trail. I camp where I like the site and the trees are the right distance apart. I'm REALLY careful about LNT. I doubt you could tell where I had camped even if you came by the same day.

I much prefer this to established campsites. I go to the woods for peace and quiet.

Mule
01-27-2009, 23:01
I hike in the Hoosier National Forest most of the time, and the trails there are seldom used by others. They lead to fairly remote areas and then we sometimes leave the trail a bit to find places where no one has camped. These trails are not marked, you just have to know where you are going. Mule

Cannibal
01-27-2009, 23:19
My mood usually dictates that decision. Sometimes I just don't want to risk the chance of having company if I'm out there to ponder the universe and such. Other times a little company is nice. Sometimes I just find a place that 'feels' good, so I make camp. If I'm with a group then the campground is a good place to meet and usually laziness kicks in if you've been waiting for someone, so I'll hang there.

plowhorse
01-27-2009, 23:19
I typically camp in unimproved campsites. this weeds out all the yahoos looking to make a lot of noise all night long. I am hoping the hammock will allow me to get out even farther so I can really commune with nature

BillyBob58
01-27-2009, 23:25
Most of my hiking trips have been in the Wilderness areas of the west, and there really were no established campsites once we left the vehicle. So it was always just pick a likely looking spot and hang there. I really love that. Of course, there were also really likely spots that had been oft used, with fire rings and such. But still nothing official.

But in the Olympic National Park in WA, we had a mixture. There were "developed sites", meaning a fire ring and limited numbers and reservations and food hanging cables. Or, as long as the correct arrangements were made, and you had either a bear canister or ability to hang food, you could just go off in the woods by yourself. That was great.

MacEntyre
01-28-2009, 06:36
My favorite is the wilderness area that's closest to home. It has old indian trails and camp sites that have been maintained by Boy Scouts, contrary to the wilderness area protocol. I like to use the trails to get to the areas I'm interested in, but I never use the camp sites. LNT is more fun in a hammock.

bristolview
01-28-2009, 07:28
Kurt, you bring up many good points. I tend to avoid the campsites along the trail much of the time, but I do respect the area and try to LNT as many others have commented. As far as damaging the area, I take wide hammock straps to protect the trees, and if the ground is not clear, I don't generally make a fire. Needless to say, I'd always encourage people to follow the local rules with regard to designated campsites or no. I find that some of the sites are so used that they are packed dirt, the firerings have old bits of aluminum cans, etc.... They aren't terrible, but they're very heavily used as everyone hiking thru uses them. I pick a spot that's generally pretty 'out there' and very unlikely that anyone else will use for years, so the impact is very low.

Sounds like most of us are doing similar things.

Ramblinrev
01-28-2009, 07:36
There is a lot of controversy between the low impact scattered and low impact concentrated camps. I'm sure there is less awkward language. In essence, some contend that to scatter the camps into less used areas reduces the long term impact on any given wilderness environment. Others claim that any impact is too damaging and so designated campsites are preferred because at least all the impact takes place in one spot and so is not as overall destructive.

Near as I can tell, they both have their points. I usually used previously established sites simply because they are there and often provide amenities such as lpgs or stumps to sit on. I am having to rethink some of this as I become more hammock adapted.

Youngblood
01-28-2009, 07:47
My mood usually dictates that decision. Sometimes I just don't want to risk the chance of having company if I'm out there to ponder the universe and such. Other times a little company is nice. Sometimes I just find a place that 'feels' good, so I make camp. If I'm with a group then the campground is a good place to meet and usually laziness kicks in if you've been waiting for someone, so I'll hang there.

You forgot about the "Heck, this site will do, let's hang here!" (Used late in the afternoon when a surprise rain is starting up.):D

Cannibal
01-28-2009, 09:55
You forgot about the "Heck, this site will do, let's hang here!" (Used late in the afternoon when a surprise rain is starting up.):D

Oh yeah, but to be honest "Heck" isn't what usually starts that sentence. :scared::D

neo
01-28-2009, 11:18
i am a leave no trace stealth hanger,no fires,no trash,you cant even see me.:cool:neo

rigidpsycho
01-28-2009, 12:26
i am a leave no trace stealth hanger,no fires,no trash,you cant even see me.:cool:neo

Who said that? I hear someone ,but can't see them. HAHA. On a serious note thought I like to try and get away from the trail a little to avoid a mass group who is noisy, which is hard to do at Red River gorge here b/c so many partiers go to it. I will try to use an established site, but I would like to enjoy some peace and quiet.

bristolview
01-28-2009, 15:55
Youngblood, why stop because of rain? I love hiking in the rain, keeps you from overheating. Also tends to keep the bugs down. This is one of the reasons that I don't often hike in boots anymore. My wonderful Vasque boots would eventually get water in them and be uncomfortable. I switched to beatup light Vietnam combat boots, canvas with drain holes. They worked pretty well. They offer limited ankle support, and I found that was just fine even with a heavy pack. That set the stage to move to sandals, which offer just about no ankle support. I now hike in sandals almost entirely, and quite like it. (Croc Tikali sandals) Back to the subject, hiking in the rain is awesome. On heavily used trails (without much plant cover), this can be damaging to the ground and cause erosion. In these situations, if the trail isn't muddy, I'll hike it. If it is, I'll generally head off trail where the ground can support it without issue.

Youngblood
01-28-2009, 17:02
Youngblood, why stop because of rain?
Let's see... because with a hammock and tarp you have more options of stopping when you don't want to get wet?

Ashman
01-28-2009, 18:49
Campsites, my hiking partners are ground dwellers, poor bastidges, so we have to find a pretty spot for them. Its always funny we are looking for a spot at the end of the day and they are asking (what about this spot? How about that?) I smile smugly and keep my opinions to myself!

photomankc
01-29-2009, 00:45
If there is a nice site nearby I'll usually setup near it if I can and just use the sitting spots and fire rings and such. On sections where there is no good site near then I will just go till I find close access to water or a good view and I setup there. So far I have been about 50/50 on this. Our trails here in MO are not all that crowded so very often I have miles of territory to myself. I still like to keep a little hidden just to keep someone from pillaging my gear while I am out and about.

If it's a park with rules then I camp where they designate, but I won't set foot in a RV parking lot campground. I hate that with a passion.

bristolview
01-29-2009, 09:52
>I still like to keep a little hidden just to keep someone from pillaging my gear

That's what happened to me. I had my backpack, cooking gear, stove, food and other stuff stolen. I guess I'm a bit jaded now, I lost a lot of trust and haven't really got it back yet. Most people on the trails are great though.

Agreed, if there are local rules about camping, then I follow them. Not all RV camps are horrible, but I do understand the point. My question here was really with regard to hiking and backcountry camping, and I do not consider an RV campground in that category. My daughter is only 7, and up until recently really didn't have the endurance to do much back woods camping. We've spent a bit of time in these RV grounds, and used them as a basecamp and did day hikes from there. For that, they are fine, but they cannot compare with really being out in the bush. They were a good intro for my daughter though. This spring, we're planning some hikes in NY and Vermont, so she'll get her first taste of real hiking and camping. (I only have small hiking tents, so I think the sleeping arrangements will be Mom/Daughter/Dog in a small tent; myself in a hammock. I suspect along the way, the hammock will be taken over by one of them, that's fine. My daughter wants to stay in the hammock with me, but I'm not sure that'll work really)

MacEntyre
01-29-2009, 10:05
I guess I'm a bit jaded now...
I don't think so. Lots of bad things happen in the woods, where we are more vulnerable and isolated. Most people are good neighbors, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch out for the bad guys!

Doctari
01-29-2009, 15:22
Yes, , , , and No.

Because I can camp nearly anywhere, I genarally do.
One of my favorite "Hammock vs Tent" stories: I was hiking with my then work partner & his 17 yo nephew (from Florida) along Osborne bend loop in RRG, ths is a tril along a ridge, minimal tent sites. I decided to take a break, & never caught up with them, , well, I decided they needed Uncle / nephew time, and I was tired. So, I set up right next to the trail, had a GREAT night sleep, as usual. The next AM, I caught up with them, sleeping on the ground on the side of a fairly steep hill. I had to wake them both up, even the 17 year old was moaning & groaning about how bad he had slept on the side of the hill. I laughed & said "I slept great!" My work partner said, and not for the first or last time: "Shut up Gary!". :D

Poor groundlings.

Coffee
01-29-2009, 15:26
Yes, , , , and No.

Because I can camp nearly anywhere, I genarally do.
One of my favorite "Hammock vs Tent" stories: I was hiking with my then work partner & his 17 yo nephew (from Florida) along Osborne bend loop in RRG, ths is a tril along a ridge, minimal tent sites. I decided to take a break, & never caught up with them, , well, I decided they needed Uncle / nephew time, and I was tired. So, I set up right next to the trail, had a GREAT night sleep, as usual. The next AM, I caught up with them, sleeping on the ground on the side of a fairly steep hill. I had to wake them both up, even the 17 year old was moaning & groaning about how bad he had slept on the side of the hill. I laughed & said "I slept great!" My work partner said, and not for the first or last time: "Shut up Gary!". :D

Poor groundlings.

Now he or I wouldn't say that!:rolleyes:

bristolview
01-30-2009, 22:07
My favorite story was camping with a friend. We were on a knoll above the creekbed, but on the downside of a steep hill that was cutting wind for us. I strung up my (lawson) hammock and went to sleep, even though the clouds opened up like pouring buckets. In the morning, I learned that my hiking partner was bailing water from his tent most of the night. The runoff from the hill created a small creek, completely flooded his tent. We're not talking wet, we're talking about 4 inches of standing water. I never noticed, just listened to the raindrops on the fly and swaying gently. Ahhh, nice. Needless to say, his pack was a good bit heavier that day too, as EVERYTHING was soaked. The Lawson sucked (in general), but still better than a tent.