PDA

View Full Version : Is Stretchy Fabric Useful?

sparkysko
03-06-2007, 05:54
Bought some fabric which looks ripstop. Probably polyester, doesn't feel like my nylon, but it's definetly synthetic. Anywho, width wise it is definetly stretchy. I can stretch it about 10% or so, and it'll spring back to it's normal width, lengthwise it won't stretch at all. It seems a bit thicker than my 1.9oz ripstop. At first I thought 'do'h, i can't use this', but seeing some other posts makes me rethink whether or not this would be useful for making a hammock out of. Is width stretch desirable?

Just Jeff
03-06-2007, 06:42
It'll work for the backside of a SPE.

slowhike
03-06-2007, 19:16
if it's that stretchy, i think it will let down.

Jazilla
03-08-2007, 08:53
Sparky, nylon hammock material stretches but not by pulling on it. I think if you used that material you would have to hang really high to not touch the ground. You could start your own stretchy hat store, or is the material is soft you could make a sleeping bag liner out of it. Different things come to mind like a light bavalaca, mittens, hiking skirt, your options can be endless.

sparkysko
03-09-2007, 20:05
It has a definite stopping point when stretching it. It's 50 inches wide, and I can stretch it to 55 inches maximum. It's soft, seems more like cotton than nylon, but it is definitely synthetic, I think polyester. I'll just have to make a hammock out of it and see. I don't think I'd sink more than an inch or two if I sat in it. You can only notice the stretch if you take the full width and try to stretch it, if you take smaller widths you can barely notice the stretch.

slowhike
03-09-2007, 20:20
it shouldn't hurt any thing to try it... as long as you hang close to the ground & sit down carefully when you get in it.
let us know how much it stretches. a small amount of stretch might make it more comfortable.

Coffee
03-10-2007, 00:34
Sounds close to the taffeta that I use. Some stretch is ok to me if it is wide enough. If not I get too much shoulder squeeze.