PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ontario>May 2013 - EGL Spring Canoe Hang - May 2013 - Planning Thread

Chard
03-05-2013, 13:23
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/algonws2009_039b.jpg

EGL Canoe Hang Spring 2013 - Planning Thread

Each March, as the days get longer and Cardinals return, I start thinking more and more about open water, canoeing and trout cooking over an open flame. Over the last few years I’ve had the fortune of paddling on some memorable trips with quite a few of the amazing folks from Hammock Forums and have been fortunate enough to make some good friends. Let's hit the water again!

Destination: Algonquin Park’s McIntosh Lake, via Canoe Lake or Magnetewan Lake access points. While Canoe Lake is the logical route; faster and more direct, Magnetewan is considerably more scenic.

When: May 3-5 depending on ice-out.

Requirements: Given the long paddle across ice-out waters and a 2300m portage, I strongly recommend intermediate to advanced flatwater experience.

Conditions: Expect the worst and hope for the best. Depending on forecasts, outfits good to -5 would be advisable.

Food: I’m all for group soups/stews each night. It’s become a popular tradition on our EGL canoe hangs. Beyond that, you’re on your own. Fishing gear and licenses might also be in order.

Cheers,

Chard

Bubba
03-05-2013, 14:38
Well I'm certainly interested! I'm going to work on it.

Jayson
03-05-2013, 15:10
Definitely interested. Have a four day solo hike planned for the next weekend so will have to talk to work.

Talked to The Boss (Tracey) we are in for a paddle!

Kasuko
03-05-2013, 16:55
[...]
Requirements: Given the long paddle across ice-out waters and a 2300m portage, I strongly recommend intermediate to advanced flatwater experience.
[...]
Cheers,

Chard

What would you consider my flat water experience at?

keg
03-05-2013, 19:08
I'm interested.

Chard
03-05-2013, 19:18
What would you consider my flat water experience at?

Hey Kasuko, you're definitely getting better. PM sent.

Jayson
03-05-2013, 21:51
Would this be a loop trip...moving everyday...or paddle in and stay on one site and then paddle out?

Jiblets
03-05-2013, 22:17
Have canoe, will travel.

I'm in.

Chard
03-06-2013, 00:25
Would this be a loop trip...moving everyday...or paddle in and stay on one site and then paddle out?

I was thinking of a one site weekend. That seems most popular and it'll give us time to do a little fishing.

Bubba
03-06-2013, 09:26
I'm guess you're thinking a two nighter i.e. Friday and Saturday nights?

Chard
03-06-2013, 09:47
I'm guess you're thinking a two nighter i.e. Friday and Saturday nights?

You bet, both nights on McIntosh. It's about a five hour paddle from Canoe Lake, six from Magnetewan, so it's best to get an early start.

Bubba
03-06-2013, 10:12
Besides one less hour paddle I guess the Canoe Lake access point would be a quicker drive? While I love scenery, I would vote for whichever access point saves driving time.

BrianWillan
03-06-2013, 11:42
Besides one less hour paddle I guess the Canoe Lake access point would be a quicker drive? While I love scenery, I would vote for whichever access point saves driving time.

Not only that point on the quicker drive, the scenic route also has 7 portages that totaled several kilometers. The Canoe lake route while only 2 portages and a lift over a beaver ****, has long sections of paddling between portages and the last one to McIntosh Lake is marked as 2300m on the algonquinmap.com site.

So pick your poison. ;)

Cheers

Brian

Chard
03-06-2013, 14:00
Not only that point on the quicker drive, the scenic route also has 7 portages that totaled several kilometers. The Canoe lake route while only 2 portages and a lift over a beaver ****, has long sections of paddling between portages and the last one to McIntosh Lake is marked as 2300m on the algonquinmap.com site.

So pick your poison. ;)

Cheers

Brian

Thanks Brian, I can read a map and tally portages as well as anyone and know the routes through that part of Algonquin quite well, having paddled and portaged along them countless times over the last 30+ years. The Canoe/McIntosh paddle is one I've does many times, in fact it retraces the same Canoe/Tom Thomson route we did a few years back. Sometimes a change of scenery is worth the sweat.

Poison? Most experienced canoeists I know don't worry overmuch about portages. While most of the time we'd rather not do them, and we grumble while we're on them, we understand that they're an essential part of travelling through the bush, of getting out away from the crowds and discovering routes less travelled. Not to mention that the easiest routes have a disproportionate number of yahoos and recieve the most fishing pressure and those are things I'd rather avoid.

As I've mentioned before, portages are often a welcome relief. They give paddlers a chance to stretch their legs, have a snack, snap a few pictures and get close to the forest. To be honest, sometimes the hardest portages become the most memorable portions of the trip. Sure the long ones and the steep ones and the boggy ones are tough, but so what? So is going to the gym. If you pack lightly and take turns carrying the canoe, then portages are really little more than heavy duty hiking. If you pack heavily, well you've got no one to blame but yourself. Every year I see hordes of enthuasistic kids who've managed to scramble from lake to lake and they're almost always smiling.

For my part, most of the most interesting people I've met and sights I've seen have been in the remote, difficult to access places. There's a mutual respect for the land and a willingness to pay the price of admission.

So please, ease up on the canoeing advice.:shades:

nothermark
03-06-2013, 14:01
Hmmmm Not sure if I will be in shape for that portage by then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZ9X5K1z80

OTOH I could take 2 days each way... being retired has merits. ;-)

Chard
03-06-2013, 14:12
Hmmmm Not sure if I will be in shape for that portage by then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZ9X5K1z80

OTOH I could take 2 days each way... being retired has merits. ;-)

What a great video. If I'm not mistaken, that's the boardwalk about 300 metres before the Ink Lake landing. Nice to see it again. Winds can pick up a bit and woe to you if you should stumble, but we've always managed without incident.

As for the portage, overall it's fairly flat or rolling. There's only a couple of slopes to worry about. Back when I was in tripp'n shape my buddies and I all but jogged across it. I think 20 minutes was our best time, water to water. But that was a long time ago.

So don't be daunted. It's long'ish, but no one's forcing anyone to do a non-stop single carry. Also, the guys are usually really good about helping with extra gear (Thanks Bubba!) or awkward vessels (you know who you are!). With my knee I'll likely take it quite easy anyway.

Cheers,

Bubba
03-06-2013, 14:32
I'm not fussed about portages. They do add to the trip. I had a great time in the soul sucking bog and the Devil's Staircase a couple years back:). I'm just thinking about maxizing my time in the park and minimizing the drive if possible.

Chard
03-06-2013, 14:49
I'm not fussed about portages. They do add to the trip. I had a great time in the soul sucking bog and the Devil's Staircase a couple years back:). I'm just thinking about maxizing my time in the park and minimizing the drive if possible.

No worries Bubba, it never crossed my mind for a minute. Canoe Lake is, admittedly, much easier for access for peolpe coming in from Southern or Eastern Ontario.

Cedar328
03-06-2013, 17:33
This looks like a great idea!

For the time being I am schedule all 4 nights of that weekend and it is unlikely I will be able to change that. I will work to move mountains but for the time being I will have to be on the dock looking longingly as you paddle away. Any progress on availability and I will post it here. As always my driveway is open for a carpooling lot if it helps.

Cheers

Cedar.

Chard
03-06-2013, 17:50

For the time being I am schedule all 4 nights of that weekend and it is unlikely I will be able to change that. I will work to move mountains but for the time being I will have to be on the dock looking longingly as you paddle away. Any progress on availability and I will post it here. As always my driveway is open for a carpooling lot if it helps.

Cheers

Cedar.

That's a major drag! What if we arranged to call 911 from McIntosh!! Sounds promising!!!

Bubba
03-06-2013, 20:07
No worries Bubba, it never crossed my mind for a minute. Canoe Lake is, admittedly, much easier for access for peolpe coming in from Southern or Eastern Ontario.

Yeah I was thinking of some of the guys from Ottawa.

Cheers

Cedar.

That sucks dude. Do what you can.

BrknArrow
03-07-2013, 07:31
That's too bad -- this is the same weekend that we'll be paddling up in Temagami.

Maybe ...
Depending on the ice.
It's always a crap shoot to see if Mother Nature will cooperate.

But it is a great time of year for a paddle -- hardly any bugs and even fewer people. Sorry that I won't be able to make it, especially considering that there is stew on the menu. You boys do know how to cook up dinner!

Enjoy your trip and stay safe. :)

Cheers.

Geoff

Chenvre
03-07-2013, 09:36
I shall monitor this thread.

Since I am without canoe, and the experience that comes from having one, I can't say that I would be well suited for this trip.

I was thinking, however, if I were to rent a solo canoe (I am currently in the market for buying one), would a newbie like me be able to tuff it out and tag along? I wouldn't complain too much, and only to Chard, I know he thrives off it.

Cheers,
Nik

Chard
03-07-2013, 13:11
I was thinking, however, if I were to rent a solo canoe (I am currently in the market for buying one), would a newbie like me be able to tuff it out and tag along? I wouldn't complain too much, and only to Chard, I know he thrives off it.

As far as paddling goes, the route up from Canoe Lake is amost completely on large lakes. If the weather fine, then there's no problem, but if the wind's a'blow'n (as she usually does), they can get quite rough. Somehow the western portion of Tom Thomson and the traverse of McIntosh are almost always have strong crosswinds. That might be touch-and-go for a rookie soloing across ice-out waters.

Alternatively, coming in from Magnetewan and puddle jumping east through to Daisy, Misty and McIntosh allows you to avoid the bigger lakes and odds are you'll have a tail wind all the way in. Trolling along the way would probably be better as well. The only catch is that it's another 2 hours drive from Ottawa and more, albeit shorter, portages.

Oh! Actually complaints go quite well with a little single malt and a campfire! Very theraputic.:shades:

That's too bad -- this is the same weekend that we'll be paddling up in Temagami.

Hey BrknArrow,

I assume the fishing's awesome in Temagami that time of year. What route were you thinking of doing if you don't mind me asking?

Chenvre
03-07-2013, 13:59
Thanks for the info Chard. I have no problem with addidional drive time if it means ill be more comfortable and safe on the trek. I can always map out the alternate route as suggested, and plan to meet everyone at a site.

Promising news! Ill keep all of this in mind and when this outing settles on its final route, Ill see what I can manage. Guess I need to get a roof rack too...

Chard
03-07-2013, 14:04
Guess I need to get a roof rack too...

If you're renting, some of the outfitters will deliver your canoe to and pick it up from the access point of your choice. Makes things a lot easier. Give Algonquin Outfitters a call. They've done well by me over the years.

keg
03-07-2013, 19:23
I shall monitor this thread.

Since I am without canoe, and the experience that comes from having one, I can't say that I would be well suited for this trip.

Cheers,
Nik

I'm without canoe but have experience. I'd have no problem partnering up with someone on a rental/paddle (but I'd rent a solo if that's the way people are going).

BrknArrow
03-07-2013, 21:13
Hey BrknArrow,

I assume the fishing's awesome in Temagami that time of year. What route were you thinking of doing if you don't mind me asking?

Well, we found ourselves in a bit of a hairy crossing a few years back as we were coming out of Obabika and made the cut across Temagami for Devil's Mountain. That was ... scary and hypothermic. Since then, we are trying to avoid big water so early in the season. The plan is to start from the landing at the end of the Access Rd. and head down Shiningwood Bay and spend some time on Wasaksina. There is some pretty good trout fishing in the pools that form as Wasaksina runs into Denedus and into Olier ...

We might make it as far as Iceland Lake, though I haven't given much thought as to our exit -- either back the way we came or loop back via High Rock Island. But that depends on the wind and the waves and our resolve!

Massasauga is booked as an alternate if the ice is still an issue, but it ain't Temagami. At that time of year, you can paddle and literally not see another soul while you are on the water the entire trip.

Jayson
03-17-2013, 20:29
So it looks like Tracey and myself will need to bow out of this one. I have been wanting to do longish solo hike for my birthday and 2 trips in one week will be too much.

Bubba
03-17-2013, 20:51
So it looks like Tracey and myself will need to bow out of this one. I have been wanting to do longish solo hike for my birthday and 2 trips in one week will be too much.

That's too bad Jay.

Chard
03-18-2013, 08:34

Sorry to hear about that Jayson, you'll both be missed.

On the flipside, I'm sure it'll be nice to get out and do some solo tripping. Where do you think you'll be heading? Trout season will have opened by then, so you might wat to bring a little rod and basic tackle for some of the creeks you might be crossing.

Chard

Jayson
03-18-2013, 11:23
Me and the dogs are gonna do the Western uplands trail. Planning on bringing my ultralight rod and reel. Not much of a fisherman tho.

mrguyterrifico
03-19-2013, 19:50
Hey everyone. I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ian and I'm from St. Catharines. I'm going to have to sit this one out but I am 110% interested in being a part of future hangs. I'm just going to have to figure out a way to break the news to my pregnant wife and two year old. :D

Chard
03-19-2013, 21:00
Hey everyone. I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ian and I'm from St. Catharines. I'm going to have to sit this one out but I am 110% interested in being a part of future hangs. I'm just going to have to figure out a way to break the news to my pregnant wife and two year old. :D

Well hey, welcome aboard!

If you want to keep up to date on EGL activities, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63286).

See you out there and congratulations on number two!!!

Chard
03-22-2013, 13:28
While we should all bring lighters/fires-steels as a back-up, does anyone who's coming feel like making the trip a little more interesting....

No use of lighters
No use of lighters or fire-steels (hardcore :eek:)
Note: I've got a flint/steel/char-cloth kit if anyone wants to try their hand

Firesteels should have a 100% success rate with suitable tinder. No one's going to go hungry/cold for lack of a fire.

Chenvre
03-23-2013, 07:01
Been wanting to try my hand at a bow drill for the last few years but never found the time/incentive. Also never used flint, but would like to. Is flint harvestable around here?

Sounds like a blast to me! Gives me a reason to hone my fire skills when I'd normally just break out the zippo.

Crash
03-23-2013, 15:47
aaarrrggghhh-
I want to go on a kayak camping trip up there but I can't do it till after may 19th.

Jayson
03-23-2013, 15:56
aaarrrggghhh-
I want to go on a kayak camping trip up there but I can't do it till after may 19th.

End of May is a nice time in Ontario! Let us know when you want to come over...pretty sure we could get at least a small group together!

quiet
03-24-2013, 11:13
I'm in, but not sure how many nights.

M.

Chard
03-24-2013, 12:39
aaarrrggghhh-

No worries Crash. Keep your eyes open for something happening in the summer. (May 19th is my older daughter's birthday btw)

I'm in, but not sure how many nights.

M.

Great news... Look forward to seeing you out there.

PineMartyn
03-27-2013, 09:00
Been wanting to try my hand at a bow drill for the last few years but never found the time/incentive. Also never used flint, but would like to. Is flint harvestable around here?

Flints aren't to be found in this part of Ontario, but some people have success with good pieces of quartz. Quartz is widely found in many parts of Ontario and is hard enough to generate sparks from a high carbon fire steel, knife blade, or an old file. Unfortunately, most of the quartz found in central Ontario is highly fractured owing to exposure to weathering and having borne the weight of glaciers, so finding a piece of quartz that doesn't crumble when struck can be a challenge, but there are better quality quartz deposits to be found in southern Ontario. In my experience the sparks generated by quartz are smaller and more short-lived than those generated from a good chert or flint. In any case, I have never been able to start a fire using any concussive techniques with just natural tinders, no matter how dry. I've always had to catch sparks on charred cloth to get a hot enough ember to ignite natural tinders.

Like you, I've long been interested in bow drill fires, and I've tried my hand at it on occasion, but only recently did I have my first successes with it. It's a pretty great feeling when you finally produce that first glowing coal, so it's a skill that's well worth practicing for that reason alone. It's one I hope to develop and improve this year.

Hope this helps,
- Martin

Bubba
03-27-2013, 09:47
Flints aren't to be found in this part of Ontario, but some people have success with good pieces of quartz. Quartz is widely found in many parts of Ontario and is hard enough to generate sparks from a high carbon fire steel, knife blade, or an old file. Unfortunately, most of the quartz found in central Ontario is highly fractured owing to exposure to weathering and having borne the weight of glaciers, so finding a piece of quartz that doesn't crumble when struck can be a challenge, but there are better quality quartz deposits to be found in southern Ontario. In my experience the sparks generated by quartz are smaller and more short-lived than those generated from a good chert or flint. In any case, I have never been able to start a fire using any concussive techniques with just natural tinders, no matter how dry. I've always had to catch sparks on charred cloth to get a hot enough ember to ignite natural tinders.

Like you, I've long been interested in bow drill fires, and I've tried my hand at it on occasion, but only recently did I have my first successes with it. It's a pretty great feeling when you finally produce that first glowing coal, so it's a skill that's well worth practicing for that reason alone. It's one I hope to develop and improve this year.

Hope this helps,
- Martin

Well there's my lesson for today!:thumbup1:

Chard
04-01-2013, 13:22
Hey all,

What a glorious Easter weekend here in Southern Ontario! Now that we're about a month out from the Spring trip, I was thinking it's probably a good time for a quick role call of who's still interested in coming out (confirmed/almost certain/unlikely), for how long and which entry point they'd prefer; Canoe or Magnetewan/Rain.

Like most trips, I assume everyone will bring all of their own gear, but there may be a few questions we'll need to iron out:

Group items (group tarps, grills, etc...)
Canoes: rented/borrowed
Paddling partners
Carpooling
Interest in group dinners (likely a big stew)

Finally, whether it's car-camping in Valen's or paddling or snowshoeing through the interior of Algonquin, the main goal of the EGL has always been to bring together like-minded hangers from the Great Lakes region in a safe, mainly alcohol-free, family-friendly setting. I'd ask that we all do our best to keep it that way.

Jayson
04-01-2013, 13:28
Not looking good for us on this one. May change tho.

keg
04-01-2013, 14:20
Put me down as almost certain.

Can drive, competent paddler, no canoe. I'm easy on the rest.

keg
04-04-2013, 12:16
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php?utm_source=What%27s+the+big+deal+about+ice +out%3F+2013&utm_campaign=April+2013+Ice-out&utm_medium=email

Ice conditions.

Chard
04-04-2013, 13:36
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php?utm_source=What%27s+the+big+deal+about+ice +out%3F+2013&utm_campaign=April+2013+Ice-out&utm_medium=email

Ice conditions.

Great link. I've been keeping my eye on various Algonquin sites including Algonquinoutfitters.com (http://algonquinoutfitters.com/blog/agonquin-outfitters/the-algonquin-park-ice-out-report-is-up-and-running/) and local satellite imagery (http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=g&page=1).

I have to admit, things always look pretty dicey this time of year and I get antsy waiting for ice-out. This year it looks like it might be late in coming; one old timer was forecasting May 5 for Cedar.

The MNR will likely begin their Park flyovers near the end of the month to advise on the status of open water for those heading in for the trout-opener on April 27th. I'll start calling the park around then as well. Things can change dramatically from day to day. I remember a few years ago the lakes south of 60 were choked with rotten ice one day and the next day, after a night of strong winds, were wide open. It was a rough paddle out and many of the bays we passed were still ice covered, and we even ran into a pair of guys that had had to chop their way through to portages only the day before. All it took was one blustery night to open up the area.

What we've normally done was once we hear there's some open water, we go up regardless and then reassess the conditions when we get there. A couple of times we've driven into the Canoe Lake parking lot only to find the entire bay still locked in ice. That's when it's handy to have a strong Plan B for south of 60!!!! In this case either Bonnechere, maybe Little Coon, Rock, Pen, Welcome or even Louisa.

Flexability is the watchword so early in the season.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_5228b.jpg
Yes. That's snow on the ground.

Bubba
04-04-2013, 22:00
Due to the ice conditions, does it make sense then to plan for the Canoe Lake entry point so we can have a solid plan B?

Chard
04-05-2013, 08:21
Due to the ice conditions, does it make sense then to plan for the Canoe Lake entry point so we can have a solid plan B?

Hey Bubba,

We probably won't know about ice conditions until the end of the month, so I don't think anything's wrong planning to push off from Canoe. As you say, being on Hwy 60 definitely gives us more options in the event Canoe's iced-in. We can always adjust our plans if the Magnetewan passage opens up at the last minute, assuming anyone wants to go that way.

Besides, I'm hoping to spend a few days soloing before the hang (after if necessary) and might just meet you up at McIntosh, so my preference for a route in might be moot. Safety's my concern.

Chard
04-09-2013, 14:24
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/images/iceout_2013-04-03_smokelake.jpg

Even as I wait for ice out, it's beautiful up there!

Algonquin park Ice Out Conditions (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php)

Taliesin96
04-09-2013, 14:35
I'm hoping i can make it, i'll have to see abit towwards the end of the month

Bubba
04-15-2013, 00:58
There hasn't been that much activity in this thread. We are only two and a half weeks away and I wonder if the extended cold weather conditions are putting a damper on the enthusiasm that past trip planning threads usually bring out. I know for me the weather has played a factor. I worry the conditions will either cause a cancellation or make the paddling challenging beyond my skill and comfort level.

Aside from the weather, I have some family matters going on that may require my attention. My wife and I were supposed to have a court date for our adoption in early April but now it has been pushed to early May and we won't find out an exact date until the week before.

I also have been having some issues with my right knee making it painful to kneel for long periods of time. Walking is no problem but if I kneel for a while it is painful to straighten it and it takes a while to walk it off. Not ideal for canoeing and portaging.

Because of these issues I can't commit to this kind of a trip. As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to go ahead and say I cannot go on this one.

I really hope the weather cooperates and you guys do get to go.

Chard
04-15-2013, 11:08
There hasn't been that much activity in this thread. We are only two and a half weeks away and I wonder if the extended cold weather conditions are putting a damper on the enthusiasm that past trip planning threads usually bring out. I know for me the weather has played a factor. I worry the conditions will either cause a cancellation or make the paddling challenging beyond my skill and comfort level.

Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on this hang and haven't seen too much going on. Might just be too early in the season for everyone, maybe a bit of hang fatigue. At this point I think there might be only three of us planning on going up. The ice conditions are definitely giving me a lot of concern. We're about 17 days out and the ice is still pretty solid.

Canoe Lake Ice-Out (http://www.canoelake.ca/iceout/)
Looks like we've got a most popular date: Thursday, May 2nd. More than 50% of people so far think the ice will go out during the 7 days from April 26th through May 2nd; and 90% think it will be out by at least May 3rd.

I heard from two Canoe Lakers who were up on Easter weekend (just 7 days ago!) and reported between 25" and 30" of solid ice; and it was something like -13°C on Tuesday night.

I'm going with May 8th, mostly for posterity ;-)

If these guys are right, it'll be a close call for May 3-5. Granted the lakes south of HWY 60 usually open a little earlier as an alternative, but still.... Looks like I might have to reschedule my solo paddle for after the hang.

Aside from the weather, I have some family matters going on that may require my attention. My wife and I were supposed to have a court date for our adoption in early April but now it has been pushed to early May and we won't find out an exact date until the week before.

I also have been having some issues with my right knee making it painful to kneel for long periods of time. Walking is no problem but if I kneel for a while it is painful to straighten it and it takes a while to walk it off. Not ideal for canoeing and portaging.

That's great news about your hearing and I wish you the best of luck. That's also crappy news about your knee. As you know, I'm having my own knee challenges, but things are looking okay for now. Still, not ideal for extended hours of paddling.

Because of these issues I can't commit to this kind of a trip. As much as I hate to say it, I'm going to go ahead and say I cannot go on this one.

I really hope the weather cooperates and you guys do get to go.

Definitely sorry to hear you won't be albe to come out this time, but all things considered, it sounds like it's unavoidable. You'll be missed, but we'll definitely get together this summer.

keg
04-15-2013, 17:11

That's great news about your hearing and I wish you the best of luck. That's also crappy news about your knee. As you know, I'm having my own knee challenges, but things are looking okay for now. Still, not ideal for extended hours of paddling.

This will be my first trip after ankle rehab and my knee is slow getting into shape so if this trip goes, we'll all be a bit slow.

I have chatted with a buddy about this. He's interested but not committed yet.

Bubba
04-15-2013, 19:55

Definitely sorry to hear you won't be albe to come out this time, but all things considered, it sounds like it's unavoidable. You'll be missed, but we'll definitely get together this summer.

Thanks chard. Hope to see you guys at another hang sooner rather than later.

ofsjason
04-18-2013, 16:31
Wish I could make this! If it was the weekend after I’d be good, but I have plans that weekend in Niagara! Have a great trip, and if there’s another one near Toronto I’ll try to make it!

Chard
04-18-2013, 18:29
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/images/iceout_2013-04-17d.jpg

Updated: Thursday, April 18, 2013
Ice Out Conditions

Lakes throughout Algonquin Park are expected to remain substantially ice covered through the weekend of April 27/28, 2013. Based on current conditions, and all available information, Algonquin Park canoe routes are not expected to be navigable for the opening weekend of Algonquin Park's trout season (April 27). Conditions are continually being assessed by Park staff so please monitor this web page for updates as conditions warrant.
Source (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php)

--------------------

Hmmmm.

:unsure: Even though I planning on heading up on my annual trout trip the following weekend (May 3-5) it still might be touch and go. I know from long experience that a few days of warm windy weather can make all of the difference.

:shades: Normally by this time we're discussing group geal and meals, but all things considered, I'd recommend that anyone coming plan on being self-contained. Just PM me for permit info (9 max). We can figure out any rendevous offline or just meet up at McIntosh. Look for the Hammock Forums flag!

Cheers,

The Old Boot
04-18-2013, 18:59
I'm sewing and splicing as fast as I can but there's no way I'm going to be ready for interior by May 3 - I should be able to manage parking lot camping..:rolleyes:

The list of what I need just keeps getting longer and longer and shipping times from the US are getting in the way.

It's gonna be a last minute thing for me as to whether I show up anywhere - I've got another group that's planning an interior group weekend the same weekend.

Hey, I might be able to drive between the two groups...:eek:

Chard
04-18-2013, 19:16
I'm sewing and splicing as fast as I can but there's no way I'm going to be ready for interior by May 3 - I should be able to manage parking lot camping..:rolleyes:

:lol: I'm laughing because I'm also trying to wrap up a new DIY TQ. First trip of the year always seems a little more chaotic trying to find all my gear. If you can make the 3rd that'd be great, but we'll be back up again a couple of times before freeze-up.

It's gonna be a last minute thing for me as to whether I show up anywhere - I've got another group that's planning an interior group weekend the same weekend.

Hey, I might be able to drive between the two groups...:eek:

Beautiful time of year to be in the park, and I'm sure your friends will have a great time although they might have to bring skates!!! You need to get your butt in gear and get all of your hammock stuff together so you can join them (or us)!!!:laugh:

P.S. What gear are you missing?

Butt in gear.. hammock gear... Yeah, lame. Sorry! :rolleyes:

The Old Boot
04-18-2013, 21:03
:lol: I'm laughing because I'm also trying to wrap up a new DIY TQ. First trip of the year always seems a little more chaotic trying to find all my gear. If you can make the 3rd that'd be great, but we'll be back up again a couple of times before freeze-up.

Beautiful time of year to be in the park, and I'm sure your friends will have a great time although they might have to bring skates!!! You need to get your butt in gear and get all of your hammock stuff together so you can join them (or us)!!!:laugh:

P.S. What gear are you missing?

Butt in gear.. hammock gear... Yeah, lame. Sorry! :rolleyes:

You'll be really sorry you asked...:lol:

Let's see - tarp still needs the linelocs that are on order, hammock needs spreader bars (repurposing a friends old tent poles) and suspension, have pack frame only, it needs waistbelt and packs (doing stackpacks), compression sacks for both quilts, etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum...:rolleyes:

Hey, I have my stove and my quilts are made!!:D

I figure I'll be able to sleep outdoors but not carry anything further than 100 feet from the car and then I'll have to make multiple trips...:lol:

And then there's the matter of conditioning - with no dog to walk any more, I huff and puff going up a flight of stairs. I went out today for a hike and had to turn around within a 1/2 mile - the thunder was way too close to the lightning!! We chickened out! :scared:

Taliesin96
04-18-2013, 21:08

Let's see - tarp still needs the linelocs that are on order, hammock needs spreader bars (repurposing a friends old tent poles) and suspension, have pack frame only, it needs waistbelt and packs (doing stackpacks), compression sacks for both quilts, etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum...:rolleyes:

I figure I'll be able to sleep outdoors but not carry anything further than 100 feet from the car and then I'll have to make multiple trips...:lol:

And then there's the matter of conditioning - with no dog to walk any more, I huff and puff going up a flight of stairs. I went out today for a hike and had to turn around within a 1/2 mile - the thunder was way too close to the lightning!! We chickened out! :scared:

i'll be spending a bunch of time up your way, family and i will be hiking alot up in temegami this summer or once it warms up

Chard
04-18-2013, 21:16

:scared: Whoa dude!!!

Not sure I can help too much but..

Pack: I've got a big boundary bag kicking around.
Compression sacks: I stuff my down in a stuff sack and then wrap it with my bear-bag rope to really compress it, really cinch it down, and then drop that into a garbage bage, twist and stuff into a second stuff sack to protect the garbage bag. Cheap, easy and effective. One of these days I'll have to get myself a fancy-shmancy compression sac with a valve, but until then it's Gladbags for me.
Out-of-shape? Join the club! I'm a wreck too.
Thunder & lightening? Take it as a sign that maybe the Big Guy was trying to get you back behind the thread injector! :lol:

Chenvre
04-19-2013, 11:01
Hey Chard et al;

I've been a fly on this forum wall, but I am still in, have the time booked off, and will be arranging a canoe rental next week. Hopefully this warm spell with winds will persuade the lake ice to bugger off.

I will probably do a solo day or two after the group hang providing things go as planned.

Considering I will be trying to have the canoe dropped off at our lake departure location (no roof racks) it would be nice to have a set location, although its understandable this might not be set in stone until closer to the date. Hoping algonquin outfitters will accommodate last minute scrambles!

Mmmmm, Swift Shearwater. Fishies, here I come!

Chard
04-19-2013, 12:16
Hey Chard et al;

I've been a fly on this forum wall, but I am still in, have the time booked off, and will be arranging a canoe rental next week. Hopefully this warm spell with winds will persuade the lake ice to bugger off.

I will probably do a solo day or two after the group hang providing things go as planned.

Considering I will be trying to have the canoe dropped off at our lake departure location (no roof racks) it would be nice to have a set location, although its understandable this might not be set in stone until closer to the date. Hoping algonquin outfitters will accommodate last minute scrambles!

Mmmmm, Swift Shearwater. Fishies, here I come!

Good to hear it Chenvre,

I'm also hoping to spend a couple of extra days either before or after the hang.

For my part, it'd be nice to go in through Magnetewan, but everything depends on the ice and access road conditions. The Kearney access road sometimes gets flooded in the spring and the road becomes impassable. Obviously the safest bet would be to launch at Canoe Lake, but that route takes us across the biggest water.

Hopefully AO can be a bit flexible given the late thaw. There're usually really good about things like that, given enough notice.

keg
04-19-2013, 16:14
My buddy is 80% in.

It will be his first hammock trip (though he doesn't know it yet). He's borrowed a lightweight tent from me in the past instead of carrying either of his big old tents but now that I have two hammocks, I see no reason why he should be stuck on the ground.

The route from Magnetewan is an easier trip but the access road would be my concern. Then again, it might be easier pushing a car out of the mud than the doing Tom Thompson-Macintosh portage with my current fitness.

Chard
04-20-2013, 10:59
My buddy is 80% in.

It will be his first hammock trip (though he doesn't know it yet). He's borrowed a lightweight tent from me in the past instead of carrying either of his big old tents but now that I have two hammocks, I see no reason why he should be stuck on the ground.

The route from Magnetewan is an easier trip but the access road would be my concern. Then again, it might be easier pushing a car out of the mud than the doing Tom Thompson-Macintosh portage with my current fitness.

Good news Keg, glad to see you're getting your buddy out into a hammock, just make sure he's got his insulation down pat.

The Magnetewan road can be dicey in a couple of low spots during the spring flood. Perhaps a 4x4 could get through but we might just have to go with the MNR's call on this one.

Just a quick aside: I brought my canoe up to Swift Canoe in Gravenhurst for repairs last month and will be picking it up enroute. The only catch is that they open at 9am, so I wouldn't likely get to Canoe lake before 10:15-10:30. A little later than normal, but that's the way it goes.

BTW: Group stew?

keg
04-20-2013, 12:39
My buddy's confirmed and I'm booking a canoe. Stew sounds like a plan.

Are any details needed permit wise?

Chard
04-22-2013, 16:31

The Magnetewan road can be dicey in a couple of low spots during the spring flood. Perhaps a 4x4 could get through but we might just have to go with the MNR's call on this one.

Latest Update: As of this afternoon, Mon Apr 22, the Forestry Tower Road accessing Magnetewan, Tim and Rain Lakes is "experiencing flooding and/or washouts and thus is barricaded until further notice for public safety".

Looks like it's Canoe Lake to McIntosh for Plan A, and I'd put forth Boncherre for Plan B, Welcome/Harry/Rence or even Louisa for Plan C.

Plan D would be to leave the canoes at somewhere enroute (a classic Canadian spousal hoodwink manouver) and catch a flight to the West Indies to settle the hot debate on how well coconut palms support the 1" webbing as opposed to the more traditional 1.5" webbing.:shades:

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/images/iceout_2013-04-03_smokelake.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/923319_10151337195286568_1197285337_n.jpg

canuck_kayaker
04-22-2013, 17:50

I'm 15 minutes from you! Do you paddle as well?

My summer is looking like the only camping I will get to do is sleeping in my hammock in the backyard :(

It seems everyone I know and then some are getting married this summer. Some weekends even have 3 wedding invites for :eek:. No time for camping :(

BrknArrow
04-23-2013, 11:31
No backcountry permits for overnight camping now.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2013/2013-04-22_special_bulletin.php

Not to mention still substantial ice coverage -- you have to go pretty far south to find open water! :scared:

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.13112.1732.CIS_Great_Lakes.143.250m.jpg

You guys still planning on going to Algonquin? Our group has abandoned the idea of Temagami and is heading to Massasauga instead.

Cheers!

Bubba
04-23-2013, 12:57
A lot can change in a week and a half. Here's hoping!

keg
04-23-2013, 19:07
Hopefully something works out. As for destination, as long as it's backcountry and there are trees.

Bubba
04-23-2013, 20:34
Hopefully something works out. As for destination, as long as it's backcountry and there are trees.

Great attitude! I'd be the same. I'll be watching to see what happens here. If the stars align and the universe smiles on me, I may be able to come out provided there is space in a canoe for me. If not it's ok but I am really hoping things pan out for me to come out!

Chard
04-23-2013, 21:01
No backcountry permits for overnight camping now.

Fortunately I already have mine permit with assurances of a full refund if the Park isn't open May 3rd. But that still doesn't bode well.

Not to mention still substantial ice coverage -- you have to go pretty far south to find open water! :scared:
You guys still planning on going to Algonquin? Our group has abandoned the idea of Temagami and is heading to Massasauga instead.

A lot can change in two weeks. Here's hoping!

Whether its trolling big water for lakers or working little rivers for specks, spring ice-out in Algonquin is my favorite time of year. While Bubba's right and a lot can happen in a week, with less than ten days to go, it looks like there's a real possibility that our Canoe Lake-McIntosh route, and any other route in the Park for that matter, will be still ice-bound next weekend.

If that's the case and we're unable to come up with an alternate Algonquin route, we'll have to settle on one of three choices; either relocate, reschedule or cancel altogether. As BrknArrow mentioned, satellite imagery suggests that there a broad band of open water to the east, south and west of Algonquin and parks like Massassauga might be a good option (no trout though). It's just that drive times may become an issue for some. Rescheduling until later in May is also possible but that depends on the flexibility of our schedules. Cancelling outright, well let's hold off on that for the time being.

Let's hear what you guys have to say. If there's a marked preference for either relocation or rescheduling, lets make the arrangements asap and have them as a back-up if Algonquin doesn't work out.

Role Call so far...

Jiblets
Mongrel
Chenvre
Keg
Keg's Friend

Taliesin96 (Maybe)
Bubba (Maybe, pending an astrological alignment)

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/images/iceout_2013-04-21.jpg

Chenvre
04-23-2013, 21:33
Let's hear what you guys have to say. If there's a marked preference for either relocation or rescheduling, lets make the arrangements asap and have them as a back-up if Algonquin doesn't work out.

tldr; Relocation works for me, rescheduling should work for me, but cancellation? :scared:

I'm pretty easy going on this trip plan, since we knew it was going to be touch and go from the beginning.

Being in Ottawa, the drive is going to be substantial enough that a little extra isn't a huge deal, although I'd prefer to not have to drive through TO to get to the western side, but it's not out of the question.

I have a canoe booked with AO, and they have been very accommodating to me by being flexible on the dates (due to ice out), and they now supply foam blocks for cars that are 'lacking the rack', leaving me to freely transport the canoe as I need. I scheduled to pick up in the Huntsville location, so if we do relocate, I might need to find an alternate.

What say the rest of you?

Jayson
04-23-2013, 21:51
Hey guys. If this trip gets resceduled Tracey and myself would be in for 2 weeks later!

This weather has been unfortunate...we have had to change this weekend hiking plans.

Bubba
04-23-2013, 22:51
I know I'm not confirmed so my vote does not count as much but relocation is my only option. For sure I do not want to cancel and the rest of May is not good for me to reschedule. As keg said, give me trees and the woods within a 5 hour drive and I'll be happy. I'm really working on going so don't count me out just yet guys!

keg
04-24-2013, 14:47
I have a canoe booked with AO, and they have been very accommodating to me by being flexible on the dates (due to ice out), and they now supply foam blocks for cars that are 'lacking the rack', leaving me to freely transport the canoe as I need. I scheduled to pick up in the Huntsville location, so if we do relocate, I might need to find an alternate.

What say the rest of you?
I'm in the same boat. If we go somewhere that AO is out of the way all problems can be solved with a couple days notice

keg
04-24-2013, 14:47
I kill myself. Canoe rental, same boat. Ha.

Jiblets
04-24-2013, 15:21
I'm a little fixated on fishing for trout, so my vote is reschedule. Sry Bubba. :)

quiet
04-24-2013, 15:49
My first choice is relo if Algonquin won't allow interior camping. The temps look like they're warming up in the park and the flood waters are supposed to have peaked so water levels should be receding.

Rescheduling is an option, but my calendar is filling up fast.

Bubba, I wish you good fortune on your family matter and hope you are able to join us.

Is the plan to meet on Friday if it's a go (regardless of location)?

M.

Chard
04-26-2013, 09:48
The weather forecast for next week looks very promising...

Issued: 5:00 AM EDT Friday 26 April 2013

Today, 26 April: Mainly cloudy. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 8. UV index 5 or moderate.
Tonight, 26 April: Partly cloudy. Becoming cloudy near midnight with 60 percent chance of showers overnight. Low plus 1.
Saturday, 27 April: Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers in the morning. High 12.
Sunday, 28 April: Sunny.:boggle: Low plus 3. High 20.:boggle:
Monday, 29 April: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 6. High 14.
Tuesday, 30 April: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 15.
Wednesday, 1 May: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 10. High 17.:boggle:
Thursday, 2 May: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 13.

PRESTON
04-26-2013, 09:58
Hi guy's, I know most of this is all up in the air right now but I'm interested in joining this trip or one later on if this one doesn't work out. I've camped on Mcintosh via canoe lake before a few years ago.

Are you thinking solo canoes, or pairing up, rentals, etc? Or too early to decide the details?

I'm from Haldimand County, about 4-5 hours from the park.

Taliesin96
04-26-2013, 10:25
Sorry guys I won't be able to make it.

On another front we going on the may 24 weekend ie really the 17 - 20 to bear mountain which is south and east of Alg it is all crown land. the crown lands run from hwy 60 down to Bells Bay PP to the east is spectacle lake to the south is bark lake.

If anyone is interested let me know, wife and kids will be ground dwellers

keg
04-26-2013, 15:15
Sounds like my buddy might back out. Something about his fiance wanting his help to plan their wedding that weekend (as if he'll have any input).

So I'd be up for having a paddling partner (or I'll change my boat reservation to a solo and have to work harder).

Bubba
04-27-2013, 21:56
Well it doesn't look that good in terms of ice out conditions. Looking at today's updates was not encouraging.:( It might be time to make a decision in terms of relocating, rescheduling or cancelling. Is there a plan E?

BrknArrow
04-28-2013, 06:41
What we found out is that Ontario Parks is very much concerned with liability issues. Our party had reservations for the middle of this coming week at Massasauga, but the opening has been further delayed to May 3rd. From what I was told, if park staff had ANY concerns, they had to delay access by 7 days. For Massasauga, that was a tiny bit of ice still left in the back bays that could shift -- a valid concern, but even though that ice is COMPLETELY gone now, the 7-day delay still holds. In other words, if they observe and declare things to be open and accessible, the park may not open the next day.

And Algonquin is even more of a mess with road access questionable in spots.

Massasauga will be open on May 3rd, though --

http://www.parkreports.com/parksblog/?p=3303#more-3303

Outfitting with rentals would be a challenge. Swift Canoe on the way up, perhaps ... and Oastler Park isn't open yet. I believe your only other option would be White Squall in Parry Sound and the logistics of that would be a hassle, to say the least.

Hope you guys work something out!

Bubba
04-28-2013, 07:49
Thanks for the info BrknArrow. I took a quick look at Kawartha Highlands and they seem to be all booked up.

quiet
04-28-2013, 19:35
If we can't go to Algonquin, are we still looking for a trout fishing lake? Any fishermen out there who know of other locations other than Algonquin?

For an alternate location, assuming we find one, is there a date we need to decide to switch? Wednesday?

M.

Chard
04-28-2013, 19:53
Ironically, this week's weather forecast looks very good (high teens) and that's a good thing, but the Park officials are still telling us the ice will be out somewhere between the 3rd and the 10th. It's amazing how what seemed to be a mild winter for us down here in Toronto has turned into such a late thaw. I would never have thought it. Ice-out has been late before, but going into the second week of May? Seriously?

So, after scouring webcams and weather forecasts and waiting until the last possible minute, I'm going to propose postponing our trip to McIntosh until May 18,19 & 20 (Victoria Day Long Weekend). I know I'd really prefer to be able get back for some proper trout fishing and I've been making the run into the Park each spring for the last couple of decades, usually right after ice-out.

Let me know if this works for you and hopefully you guys can accommodate the change in plans.

P.S. I know that as soon as I wrote this, Biboon, the North Wind or Old Man Winter, will decide to loosen his hold and leave the lakes clear for Friday morning. Tricky old bugger.

Bubba
04-28-2013, 22:04
Well I guess I'm back on the not being able to attend side of the fence. The rest of May is not good for me.:( This weekend was looking really good for me but unfortunately Mother Nature has other plans. Postponing makes the most sense given the situation.

At this point I still want to get out and do some kind of camping so maybe I'll do a car camp just to get out and sit in front of a fire and sleep outside in my hammock.

It's not much of a consolation but does anyone want to turn this into a car camping group hang?

Chard
04-29-2013, 08:04
Well I guess I'm back on the not being able to attend side of the fence. The rest of May is not good for me.:( This weekend was looking really good for me but unfortunately Mother Nature has other plans. Postponing makes the most sense given the situation.

Hey Bubba, I'll make it up to you on our next hang. It's just that the the idea of going for an early spring trip without wetting a line for trout is something I just couldn't bear. This is my annual pilgrimage after all. Again, I can't believe the ice and flooding this year. Pretty amazing!

Bubba
04-29-2013, 08:52
Hey Bubba, I'll make it up to you on our next hang. It's just that the the idea of going for an early spring trip without wetting a line for trout is something I just couldn't bear. This is my annual pilgrimage after all. Again, I can't believe the ice and flooding this year. Pretty amazing!

No worries. I want you guys to get out for some trout! If we had an impromtu car camp this weekend you could take you BB for a test drive.:D

keg
04-29-2013, 09:58
I can't make the long weekend but I'd accept the consolation car camping this weekend. Bubba, any thoughts on location?

Chenvre
04-29-2013, 10:00
At this point, is there any chance we would still be on for this weekend? I have to give a 48 hour notice to AO, so there's still a day or two but even as promising as the forecast looks, it doesn't look like strong winds are coming to help out our conundrum.

I'd still love to get out this weekend regardless. Bubba, Im listening...

The rescheduling should be fine, ill confirm later this week when things settle. Stoopid ice!

Chard
04-29-2013, 10:27
At this point, is there any chance we would still be on for this weekend? I have to give a 48 hour notice to AO, so there's still a day or two but even as promising as the forecast looks, it doesn't look like strong winds are coming to help out our conundrum.

I'd still love to get out this weekend regardless. Bubba, Im listening...

The rescheduling should be fine, ill confirm later this week when things settle. Stoopid ice!

I haven't changed my reservations so technically we might be able to still go if the Park gives the "all clear", but I just don't think it's fair to anyone to drag out the timing on this. Mother Nature's is giving us the cold shoulder this year. Maybe she's just giving the trout a chance to fatten up a bit more before we get there!

If we don't go up this weekend, then I likely won't do a car camping trip but will wait for the trip. I've burnt many brownie points with the wife this winter and have run out of "get out of the doghouse free" cards. Besides, I'd need to arrange to pick up my daughter in Brantford on the weekend.

Stoopid ice!!!

Taliesin96
04-29-2013, 10:46

At this point I still want to get out and do some kind of camping so maybe I'll do a car camp just to get out and sit in front of a fire and sleep outside in my hammock.

It's not much of a consolation but does anyone want to turn this into a car camping group hang?

if you want to car camp with a small hike look at moon river falls or go home lake both on crown land, pm me if you need more info both are just off hwy 12 n or orilla

Bubba
04-29-2013, 13:50
I can't make the long weekend but I'd accept the consolation car camping this weekend. Bubba, any thoughts on location?

Hey Keg. If I was going to go alone I was going to head up to the Pinery but if you're interested as well as others we can just do a Valens hang for convenience as it's more central for many people. I'll PM Taliesin96 about the crown land option but at this point I've started to resign myself to convenience, semi-luxury and a shorter drive.

...I'd still love to get out this weekend regardless. Bubba, Im listening...

Valens is a fair drive for you to car camp but it's familiar and it is a good option for multiple hangers. If you come for two nights then it would be more worth it.

If we don't go up this weekend, then I likely won't do a car camping trip but will wait for the trip. I've burnt many brownie points with the wife this winter and have run out of "get out of the doghouse free" cards. Besides, I'd need to arrange to pick up my daughter in Brantford on the weekend.

Stoopid ice!!!

That's too bad chard but I won't be surprised if you show up.;)

if you want to car camp with a small hike look at moon river falls or go home lake both on crown land, pm me if you need more info both are just off hwy 12 n or orilla

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'll PM you later tonight for some info.

Bubba
04-29-2013, 19:23
Hi guy's, I know most of this is all up in the air right now but I'm interested in joining this trip or one later on if this one doesn't work out. I've camped on Mcintosh via canoe lake before a few years ago.

Are you thinking solo canoes, or pairing up, rentals, etc? Or too early to decide the details?

I'm from Haldimand County, about 4-5 hours from the park.

Sorry I won't be able to meet you this time around. Maybe in the fall. Hopefully you can make it on the Victoria Day weekend.

Taliesin96
04-29-2013, 20:54

bubba i got ya some crownland down your way

Chard
04-30-2013, 14:25
http://www.markinthepark.com/aa_posts/2008/tom_thomson_lake_october_2008/TT100101.jpg

ICE-OUT 2013 Has Arrived!!!!

Let's do this thing!

I just called the Algonquin Park Office and they've told me, assured me, nay, guaranteed me, that Canoe through to McIntosh will be free of ice this weekend. I still have my reservations so......

Sounds like several of you were going to do a car-camping as a Plan E, but if you're game let's go back to Plan A!!! The weather looks like it'll be awesome!!!!

So, let's finalize the rolecall, figure out canoes (and rentals), paddling partners and any group gear we might feel is necessary.

P.S. Sorry about the dates jumping around.. but Mother nature is a touchy old gal!!

keg
04-30-2013, 15:24
Heck, I haven't cancelled my canoe rental yet so why not. I'll check with my buddy this evening.

Chenvre
04-30-2013, 16:09
Yay!

I don't need to cancel the canoe rental now!

Looks like my WB SF won't make it to me before the trip, and possibly my down UQ, so I don't have much extra gear to offer the group. I can pick up groceries for a group meal if needed. I have extra hammocks if needed, but no tarps.

Was anyone planning on getting bait? I usually use lures/jigs, but have never fished trout before.

I won't be bringing my big saw, since I seem to remember the plethora of saws we had last September. I will have an axe or two.

Chard, do the rivers on our journey present us with any white water? I'm a novice, remember, and I can only imagine how high the levels are at this week.

keg
04-30-2013, 17:08
My buddy's out so I have room in a canoe if anyone wants. If not I'll change to a solo.

Group gear I have a big pot, a couple poly tarps, solid first aid kit and other odds and ends. Let me know what's needed.

Chenvre
04-30-2013, 19:50
Chard, do the rivers on our journey present us with any white water? I'm a novice, remember, and I can only imagine how high the levels are at this week.

Answered my own question by looking at the elevations of the lakes closer :shades:

Chard
04-30-2013, 20:27
Heck, I haven't cancelled my canoe rental yet so why not. My buddy's out so I have room in a canoe if anyone wants. If not I'll change to a solo.

Group gear I have a big pot, a couple poly tarps, solid first aid kit and other odds and ends. Let me know what's needed.

Nice about the rental, too bad about your buddy though.

Definitely bring up the first aid kit. I've got my old MEC large guide tarp and stainless steel camp pot that should work, and they're quite light for the size. The extra tarp never hurts. I don't mind bringing them and we can work out what goes and stays at the carpark.

I don't need to cancel the canoe rental now! Looks like my WB SF won't make it to me before the trip, and possibly my down UQ, so I don't have much extra gear to offer the group.

That's a drag about not getting your gear in time but it sounds like your ready to go anyways.

I can pick up groceries for a group meal if needed. I have extra hammocks if needed, but no tarps. I won't be bringing my big saw, since I seem to remember the plethora of saws we had last September. I will have an axe or two.

Groceries sound good. Let's settle on a meal or two and figure out what we need. Saws will probably be covered (I'll likely leave mine at home too if possible but will bring my axe and laplander).

Was anyone planning on getting bait? I usually use lures/jigs, but have never fished trout before. Do the rivers on our journey present us with any white water? I'm a novice, remember, and I can only imagine how high the levels are at this week.

No live bait, other than worms, are permitted in the park. I prefer Rapala floating minnow baits and Little Cleo spoons for lakers. Jigs, spinners, little Cleos and EGB spoons work well on brookies.

Although there will be no white water on the route, the lakes can kick up quite a surf, so care is recommended.

keg
04-30-2013, 20:39

If you want you can partner up with me in the tandem I have booked. From what I've heard, Tom Thompson and McIntosh can get quite windy and wavy later in the day which makes a solo ride more work. If no one wants to ride along with me I'm going to change my booking to a solo tomorrow.

keg
04-30-2013, 21:42
I was originally thinking my menu would be sausage for the first night and dehydrated for the second but I'd probably agree to most food-like solutions.

quiet
04-30-2013, 22:33
I have a solo, so won't need to partner up.

What time are we meeting at Canoe Lake?

Bubba
05-01-2013, 07:54
WhooHoo! I am still in need of a paddling partner. Chard can vouche for me, I'm ok to paddle with.:D

The weather looks good but I have a spare 8x10 tarp I can bring just in case we need to construct another common area shelter. There will probably be redundant gear like axes, saws and stoves but I think we just like to bring our own toys to play with and in Mongrel's case make everyone else feel inadequate. If anyone needs anything then maybe post it here to see if anyone can help out.

For food, I'm open to bring anything needed for a group meal.

Jiblets
05-01-2013, 08:00
Bubba, I've got space in my canoe.

I had contemplated renting a solo, but I'm going to use that money for some down to make some quilts.

Bubba
05-01-2013, 08:03
Bubba, I've got space in my canoe.

I had contemplated renting a solo, but I'm going to use that money for some down to make some quilts.

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to it. You going to have a quilt or two made before the weekend?

Jiblets
05-01-2013, 08:23
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to it. You going to have a quilt or two made before the weekend?

More like next month. :)

Bubba
05-01-2013, 08:24
Roll Call

Chard
Jiblets
Mongrel
Chenvre
Keg
Bubba

...What time are we meeting at Canoe Lake?

IIRC Chard has to pick up his canoe in Gravenhurst so he wouldn't be getting to the park until 10:30 or so. So basically, we can all head out together after Chard picks up his canoe or since he is soloing, the rest of us can leave earlier and meet him at camp. Since I have a 5 hour drive I'm not opposed to a later push off but if Jiblets and the others want to leave earlier, then that's fine with me as well.

Chenvre
05-01-2013, 08:33
If you want you can partner up with me in the tandem I have booked. From what I've heard, Tom Thompson and McIntosh can get quite windy and wavy later in the day which makes a solo ride more work. If no one wants to ride along with me I'm going to change my booking to a solo tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer! I've wanted to try a solo since I first saw the Shearwaters. (I'm in the market to buy) the weather looks promising for winds so I should fare OK on the lakes.

What time are we meeting up? At Canoe Lake?

I'm driving thru the park to get my canoe in Huntsville so I won't say no to Timmies...

keg
05-01-2013, 08:37
WhooHoo! I am still in need of a paddling partner. Chard can vouche for me, I'm ok to paddle with.:D

Sounds like bub a has dibs on the other seat in my rental.

Bubba
05-01-2013, 08:44
Sounds like bub a has dibs on the other seat in my rental.

Jiblets kindly offered me a seat in his canoe already.

Chard
05-01-2013, 10:03
Just a quick aside: I brought my canoe up to Swift Canoe in Gravenhurst for repairs last month and will be picking it up enroute. The only catch is that they open at 9am, so I wouldn't likely get to Canoe lake before 10:15-10:30. A little later than normal, but that's the way it goes.

Hey guys,

As Bubba mentioned, I won't likely get to Canoe lake before 10:15-10:30. If any of group want to head out earlier, feel free. I'd just recommend, for safety's sake, that no one goes off by themselves unless they're an experienced paddler.

Chenvre, given the late start, I'll probably just pass by the Huntsville Tim's and meet up at Canoe Lake. If you're there around 10am, look for a red and grey blur; that'll be me buzzing down Hwy 60 with my canoe on the roof.

keg
05-01-2013, 19:13
So looks good for 10ish at canoe. Gears all set aside and ready to go. Just have to choose which formal wear to bring.

I do have a problem though. My medicinal flask only has 2 or 3 oz left in it and there's no more of that specific medicine so I'll have to find a way of getting rid of it before filling it anew.

I'll assume at this point that we're doing our own food unless someone wants to be decisive on the issue.

quiet
05-01-2013, 22:15
Looking forward to getting out.

I'll be at Canoe Lake around 10:00 - 10:30. Drive safe and see everyone there.

M.

I was at Canadian Outdoor Equipment the other day and told them we were going to try alternate ways of fire starting. I bought a flint and steel kit and have a second one for raffle.

Bubba
05-01-2013, 22:24
Between 10:00 and 10:30 at Canoe lake sounds good to me.

Chenvre
05-02-2013, 10:10
Sounds good for 10-10:30.

Will someone be ok letting me mooch off their water filter? All I have are chemicals and boiling, neither of which give me a cold tasty drink of water.

Bubba
05-02-2013, 10:27
Sounds good for 10-10:30.

Will someone be ok letting me mooch off their water filter? All I have are chemicals and boiling, neither of which give me a cold tasty drink of water.

I'm bringing my gravity filter so you can access that for a cool drink for the low price of 29 cents per ounce.

PRESTON
05-02-2013, 10:54
When ice was looking bad I committed to other (less fun) plans.
Too short of notice for me now for this one personally, but have a great trip, weather looks good.

Chard
05-02-2013, 11:11

I'm bringing my gravity filter so you can access that for a cool drink for the low price of 29 cents per ounce.

I'll be bringing the new onee I got for Christmas.. Gotta love my girls!!!

When ice was looking bad I committed to other (less fun) plans.
Too short of notice for me now for this one personally, but have a great trip, weather looks good.

That's too bad Preston, hopefully your other plans work out well and we'll see you next time.

Chenvre
05-02-2013, 12:01

Check is in the mail!

Bubba
05-02-2013, 21:33
All packed up so off we go!

Chard
05-06-2013, 18:31
Great trip. Find the report here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72593).