PDA

View Full Version : MO Hang 5 - OT Thru Hike - May 3, 4, 5 2013

Pages : [1] 2

Disco
03-05-2013, 15:52
MO Hang 5
OT Thru Hike (Taum Sauk Section)
May 3, 4, 5 2013

This is a 3-day hike that will cover approximately 33 miles. We'll start our hike from the Hwy A trailhead at the base of Bell Mt on Friday morning, and end at the Russell Mt trail head on Sunday afternoon/evening. I think we can time it right so that we'll be at the Johnson Shutins trailhead at lunch time on Saturday for anyone that wants to join us at that point.

I think the best way to get cars at both the start and end points is to all meet at the Russell Mt. trailhead, then we pile into as few vehicles as we can to get to our start point, the Hwy A trailhead. It is a 45min drive between the 2 points, so we dont want anyone to have to do both directions Friday morning. Maybe we can all pitch in a couple bucks for those that drive us to the Hwy A trailhead.

Some details we still need to work out:

1. Once we find out how many hikers we'll have, we can figure out how many cars we need to take to the Hwy A trailhead. We can figure this out Friday morning at the trailhead.

2. We need to find out if overnight parking is allowed at Johnson Shutins trailhead for anyone that wants to meet up with us on Saturday.

Post up if you are definitely going. It should be an adventure!

Disco
03-05-2013, 16:22
Here's a google map that shows the Russell Mt. trailhead and directions from there to the Hwy A trailhead.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=State+Hwy+CC&daddr=37.7072782,-90.7826499+to:State+Hwy+A&hl=en&ll=37.557098,-90.778656&spn=0.150509,0.303841&sll=37.585942,-90.791016&sspn=0.3009,0.607681&geocode=FfhPPQId-xeY-g%3BFQ5ePwIdR8SW-ik1o6YDkbnZhzH9lUKl_vtRyQ%3BFZsfPgIdqc-U-g&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&z=12

Campalot
03-05-2013, 18:06
Disco, not sure if the Russell trailhead is open any more. I know not to long ago there was a dispute about the land the trailhead was on. If it is still closed we will have to go on to the claybaugh creek trailhead on hwy 21. If you have already checked on the Russell trailhead and it is a go just disregard this message.

Markunas
03-05-2013, 18:53
If anyone is looking for some outstanding bbq stop at Bailey Joe's BBQ in Ironton. It's just south of the Sonic on the east side of 21. They have some of the best ribs I've ever eaten and a cherry sauce you can use that is killer. We haven't been there in awhile but have made a 125 mile loop on the bike just to eat there. Have fun.

Hoot
03-05-2013, 19:03
I am going to try to make this trip, put me down as a yes for now however I will have more info Later in the Month.

Markunas
03-05-2013, 19:17
The Ozark Trail website says the Russell trailhead has moved a little farther up the road to the High Pointer Trailhead. It says the reroute has been completed.
http://www.ozarktrail.com/taumsauk.php

digitizer101
03-05-2013, 19:34
Disco, I am in for sure. I have been waiting to do this trail for over a year since the last time I attempted it and had to call it half way do to my on stupidity.

Forgot my boots and soaked my feet at the falls.

Hoot
03-05-2013, 19:48
Disco, I am in for sure. I have been waiting to do this trail for over a year since the last time I attempted it and had to call it half way do to my on stupidity.

Forgot my boots and soaked my feet at the falls.

Yeah this is some amazing country through there. I am just trying to shuffle things for this trip due to so many other trips! Oh and work, the wife and stuff. :lol:

Disco
03-05-2013, 20:02
maps can be found here: http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps.php?mtid=4

hairbear
03-05-2013, 23:01
Im in............

Skygzr
03-06-2013, 07:31
I am in! been there done that, but it has been years as this section is not on the longer more completed section of the ozark trail. In fact I haven't been on this section since the dam was repaired.

Disco
03-06-2013, 10:49
Skygzr, it will be good to have you along!

I got word that there is overnight parking at the Hwy N TH near Johnson Shut-ins. Connects via the scour trail. So, if anyone wants to join us Saturday, this is probably where you'll want to park. I think we can time it so we are at Johnson Shutins for lunch Saturday.

Gideon
03-06-2013, 11:02
Pyro and I are all in!
Gideon

RamenShamen
03-06-2013, 14:30
Pyro and I are all in!
Gideon

I call!:D

lol

digitizer101
03-10-2013, 09:38
Gideon, you will be happy to know the the gift exchange stove has worked out well for me. It fits perfectly with my DIY Heineken coffee peculator. It has the perfect amount of fuel to bring 1 1/2 cups of water to peculation and peculate for 6 min.

If you have time check it out in action below.

I am defiantly thinking of switching to this setup for our next trip. I have to get that 50 lbs down somewhere and the cook kit sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks again

IEORYIYBXnk

PS if you can remember the web site you ordered this from let me know I have been asked a couple of times already.

See everyone in May if not sooner:D

hairbear
03-10-2013, 10:05
Nice stove gideon,and a very creative cup of coffee dig,keep up the good work.

RamenShamen
03-10-2013, 10:52
Nice stove; nice percolator; nice video.

That coffee sure looked perfect to me.

Did I miss you saying ~ how much fuel you added?

Gideon
03-10-2013, 13:40
I think the most important thing besides the stove is the pot you're going to use on the stove. A beer pot is perfect for this stove because it's so thin/lightweight. that same stove doesn't work quite as well with a titanium pot that's larger. I think you found it's sweet spot Digitizer!

Glad it's working so well for you! The guy who made this (not me) does really good work!!

Gideon

digitizer101
03-10-2013, 14:58
Nice stove; nice percolator; nice video.

That coffee sure looked perfect to me.

Did I miss you saying ~ how much fuel you added?

I didn't actually measure the fuel the first time. However I think it was less then an ounce.

RamenShamen
03-10-2013, 17:43
Nice! That's pretty darn efficient.

Skygzr
03-11-2013, 08:14
I didn't actually measure the fuel the first time. However I think it was less then an ounce.

Do you enjoy the taste of percolated coffee over any other? I think it is a neat set up and good video, but if you wanted to reduce pack weight you could switch to Starbucks VIA or some other premium instant espresso over the weight of the percolator set up. You have to start somewhere ;)

Campalot
03-12-2013, 16:27
I'm in for this one. Will just have to figure out where I can meet up with the group. Would like to meet up on Friday night but not sure that will be possible. Not sure how far the group will get on Friday. If you think you might get somewhere close to hwy n that evening I will try to meet on Friday, otherwise I just meet on Saturday.

digitizer101
03-13-2013, 07:50
Do you enjoy the taste of percolated coffee over any other? I think it is a neat set up and good video, but if you wanted to reduce pack weight you could switch to Starbucks VIA or some other premium instant espresso over the weight of the percolator set up. You have to start somewhere ;)

Skygzr, I have tried the VIA and a couple other instant coffee brands. I am not a big fan of the instant I do however enjoy a cup of cowboy coffee every once in a while and as for the percolator, well it was more of a challenge then anything else. I am not sure I will take it on a trip as you mentioned it just adds weight and I have enough issues with carrying to much when I'm backpacking. My last two trips out I was an enormous 50+ lbs. (something has to go!)

Disco
03-13-2013, 16:50
I came across a diagram that illustrates Hairbear's campfire smoke predicament, so I thought I'd share.

Skygzr
03-13-2013, 17:18
I came across a diagram that illustrates Hairbear's campfire smoke predicament, so I thought I'd share.

LMAO- the smoke always seeks the vacuum to fill- that should explain everything.... :lol:

hairbear
03-13-2013, 18:19

That would be funny as heck if it were not true:lol:,on a 30 mile hike I get at least 10 miles in around the campfire.

hairbear
03-13-2013, 18:22

maybe its the coat color. Is green a smoke magnet?

Campalot
03-13-2013, 18:55
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

hairbear
03-13-2013, 21:25
LMAO- the smoke always seeks the vacuum to fill- that should explain everything.... :lol:

So now its two on one huh...lol. A wise guy huh nuk nuk nuk.(gotta picture the stooges here)

Skygzr
03-14-2013, 13:24
maps can be found here: http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps.php?mtid=4

Disco,
where do you think you will be camping on Friday night? I now have to be in chicago the full day Friday, which means I will drive down Friday late and night hike after you, or join you first thing saturday morning.
Thanks

Disco
03-14-2013, 14:46
I was hoping to stay Friday night on Goggins Mt., just past the 19 mile mark on this map...

http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps/detailed/TaumSauk2mile16to32.jpg

Skygzr
03-14-2013, 14:57
I was hoping to stay Friday night on Goggins Mt., just past the 19 mile mark on this map...

http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps/detailed/TaumSauk2mile16to32.jpg

Ok, it looks like I will park at the Johnson Shut in trail head and then either hike in your direction to meet you early Saturday morning or just wait at that intersection for you guys to show up mid-morning Saturday. Hopefully I can beg a ride from someone back to my parking lot when it is all said and done.

Disco
03-14-2013, 15:56
We are going to try and time it so we are at Johnson Shutins for lunch Saturday.

If you want to meet up with us Friday evening, I think you'd be looking at a 5 mile or so hike from the shutins back to where I think we'll be (24.5 mile mark back past the 20 mile mark). We can make sure we're right off the trail so you can find us if you choose to do that.

Otherwise, I believe Campalot is meeting up with us around lunch time Saturday at the Shutins, so you two could find each other while you wait for us.

Skygzr
03-14-2013, 16:39
We are going to try and time it so we are at Johnson Shutins for lunch Saturday.

If you want to meet up with us Friday evening, I think you'd be looking at a 5 mile or so hike from the shutins back to where I think we'll be (24.5 mile mark back past the 20 mile mark). We can make sure we're right off the trail so you can find us if you choose to do that.

Otherwise, I believe Campalot is meeting up with us around lunch time Saturday at the Shutins, so you two could find each other while you wait for us.

ok, I will either come in your direction saturday morning or campalot and I will meet you at the intersection. I don't think I will be there until very late so you all would be snoozing by the time I get there, so I will plan on saturday morning

Campalot
03-14-2013, 17:29
Skygzr, don't think I'll be going till Saturday morning either but was thinking about getting there pretty early that morning and hiking towards the group to meet up with them well before noon. Don't know what you are thinking but if sounds ok to you ill just meet up with you that morning and we can hike towards them together. Don't know of anyone else meeting an Saturday.

Skygzr
03-14-2013, 17:46
Skygzr, don't think I'll be going till Saturday morning either but was thinking about getting there pretty early that morning and hiking towards the group to meet up with them well before noon. Don't know what you are thinking but if sounds ok to you ill just meet up with you that morning and we can hike towards them together. Don't know of anyone else meeting an Saturday.

this sounds like a plan. let me know what time you want to meet at the Taum Sauk trail head and I will be there.

Campalot
03-14-2013, 18:34
Do you want to meet at Johnson shut-ins or taum Sauk trailhead? Don't care either way myself. I was thinking of parking at the shut-ins trailhead and walking down hwy n to where it intersects with the ot. Probably would depend on how early of a start we could get.

Skygzr
03-14-2013, 19:35
Do you want to meet at Johnson shut-ins or taum Sauk trailhead? Don't care either way myself. I was thinking of parking at the shut-ins trailhead and walking down hwy n to where it intersects with the ot. Probably would depend on how early of a start we could get.

Sorry Buddy, my typo- meet at Johnson Shut-In trailhead. I had been looking at the Taum Sauk map.

le_butters
03-19-2013, 14:48
Pending how my finals look I would be interested in going. Ill have a for sure or not as we get closer to time.

Campalot
03-19-2013, 16:30
Join us if you can. These are a great group of guys and a lot of knowledge to be had. If you can't make Friday there is a couple of us meeting up on Saturday morning early to meet up the rest of the guys.

rngn
03-19-2013, 18:15
MO Hang 5
OT Thru Hike (Taum Sauk Section)
May 3, 4, 5 2013

This is a 3-day hike that will cover approximately 33 miles. We'll start our hike from the Hwy A trailhead at the base of Bell Mt on Friday morning, and end at the Russell Mt trail head on Sunday afternoon/evening. I think we can time it right so that we'll be at the Johnson Shutins trailhead at lunch time on Saturday for anyone that wants to join us at that point.

I think the best way to get cars at both the start and end points is to all meet at the Russell Mt. trailhead, then we pile into as few vehicles as we can to get to our start point, the Hwy A trailhead. It is a 45min drive between the 2 points, so we dont want anyone to have to do both directions Friday morning. Maybe we can all pitch in a couple bucks for those that drive us to the Hwy A trailhead.

Some details we still need to work out:

1. Once we find out how many hikers we'll have, we can figure out how many cars we need to take to the Hwy A trailhead. We can figure this out Friday morning at the trailhead.

2. We need to find out if overnight parking is allowed at Johnson Shutins trailhead for anyone that wants to meet up with us on Saturday.

Post up if you are definitely going. It should be an adventure!

Im thinking of going but wont be there till friday night and will catch up on saturday hopefully somebody can give me a ride back to hwy A

Skygzr
03-19-2013, 20:43
Im thinking of going but wont be there till friday night and will catch up on saturday hopefully somebody can give me a ride back to hwy A

are you going to hike in the 8-9 miles from at night or do you want to meet me and campalot at the johnson shut in trailhead saturday morning

rngn
03-19-2013, 21:38
are you going to hike in the 8-9 miles from at night or do you want to meet me and campalot at the johnson shut in trailhead saturday morning

I really wanted to do the hole thing ,I thought I would do some night hiking friday night and then get up early saturday and catch up to the group if you would like to join me that would be great. woody

digitizer101
03-29-2013, 13:38
Well we are about a month away and I have been rebuilding my system for this hike. I am hoping to drop down to 30 lbs instead of 50 lbs since this is a long backpacking hike.

I have decided to leave the monster UQ at home as the temps should be much higher then our last trip. Instead I will be bringing a JCP DIY UQ and a self-inflating pad. That is if I don't finish my next quilt before the hike.

I am also working on a bugnet that I spoke with campalot about last week. I think a bugnet would be my next highest priority for May.

I would also like to get away from the Harbor Freight tarp that I have been using for almost a year now(starting to see daylight through it). I am looking at a DIY tarp just haven't settled on one yet, however If time does not permit I will just pick up another Harbor Freight tarp and live with it.

Here is a video of where I am on the bugnet as well as some other stuff. (awesome snow storm over last weekend)

9Ve2lpsp1nA

Disco
03-29-2013, 14:42
I'm hoping for highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s (or warmer). That would be ideal for my lightweight setup.

hairbear
03-29-2013, 18:59
Well we are about a month away and I have been rebuilding my system for this hike. I am hoping to drop down to 30 lbs instead of 50 lbs since this is a long backpacking hike.

I have decided to leave the monster UQ at home as the temps should be much higher then our last trip. Instead I will be bringing a JCP DIY UQ and a self-inflating pad. That is if I don't finish my next quilt before the hike.

I am also working on a bugnet that I spoke with campalot about last week. I think a bugnet would be my next highest priority for May.

I would also like to get away from the Harbor Freight tarp that I have been using for almost a year now(starting to see daylight through it). I am looking at a DIY tarp just haven't settled on one yet, however If time does not permit I will just pick up another Harbor Freight tarp and live with it.

Here is a video of where I am on the bugnet as well as some other stuff. (awesome snow storm over last weekend)

9Ve2lpsp1nA
Nice job,Cant wait to see your stuff .
Ive been busy too ,we will compare notes at the hike.

Gideon
03-31-2013, 10:51
Well unfortunately Pryro won't be able to come on this one; I'm going to miss him terribly but he can't miss any more school. It's only one hike but I looked forward to them even more when we were doing them together.

So i'll be solo on this one; as for the weather, I'm with Disco, I'm hoping for 50's at night. If we get that then I can use my ultralight system.

if anyone can brief us on what to expect for water along the trip, that would be helpful.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and Digitizer, I'll be amazed if you get under 30lbs! ;)

Happy Easter everyone!
Gideon

Disco
03-31-2013, 11:24
Sorry to hear that Pyro can't make it. We'll be sure to get a few hangs in while school is out.

As far as water goes, it appears that we will have ample water sources along the trail, according to the maps. I'll be filtering with 2 20oz gatorade bottles for storage.

Gideon
03-31-2013, 17:04
Yeah, he's not to happy about missing this one; he really likes our hangs and has a lot of respect for you guys.

Sounds good about the water; I've spent a lot of time, and too much money, putting together my ultralight system and there's a good chance I'll be able to use it on this run. If water is plentiful then I can really travel light. Can't wait!

Gideon

Clinton
04-01-2013, 10:47
A weekend I dont have kiddos.

digitizer101
04-01-2013, 11:28
A weekend I dont have kiddos.

That sounds like you're in, however kids are always welcome. We have 2 groups going out, one meeting Friday morning at the HWY A trail head and one meeting Saturday morning at Johnson Shutins trailhead were we should be able to meet up.

Look forward to seeing you.

hairbear
04-01-2013, 13:27
Well unfortunately Pryro won't be able to come on this one; I'm going to miss him terribly but he can't miss any more school. It's only one hike but I looked forward to them even more when we were doing them together.

So i'll be solo on this one; as for the weather, I'm with Disco, I'm hoping for 50's at night. If we get that then I can use my ultralight system.

if anyone can brief us on what to expect for water along the trip, that would be helpful.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and Digitizer, I'll be amazed if you get under 30lbs! ;)

Happy Easter everyone!
Gideon
sorry to hear that pyro wont be there,we will miss him. 20 lbs in two months ,now thats a crash diet for the pack for sure. The knees will rejoice.

hairbear
04-01-2013, 13:29
My car will be at the end ,Ill get you to hwy a.

hairbear
04-01-2013, 13:37
I liked bell mountain alot when we were there. Im thinking about going down early to hike to the top of bell for a thursday night hang .Plans are to catch the sunrise from there ,then hike down to meet the group for friday morning.Any others interested in joining me?

Perhaps a chance for someone that wouldnt be interested in the long hike could get a nice outing in for a one nighter.

Clinton
04-01-2013, 15:33
Me and gf are going friday or sat morning at hawn state park. Think thats bell mtn.?

hairbear
04-01-2013, 21:59
Me and gf are going friday or sat morning at hawn state park. Think thats bell mtn.?

Bell is down on hwy A . The parking lot that we are meeting at is below the mountain.The o t we are hiking passes the bell mountain trail,so they would come to us around half way back down the trail.

Hawn is very nice you will enjoy it.

digitizer101
04-03-2013, 17:36
I liked bell mountain alot when we were there. Im thinking about going down early to hike to the top of bell for a thursday night hang .Plans are to catch the sunrise from there ,then hike down to meet the group for friday morning.Any others interested in joining me?

Perhaps a chance for someone that wouldnt be interested in the long hike could get a nice outing in for a one nighter.

Hairbear, Just wanted to let you know you can count me in on the Bell Mountain Thursday night side hike.

Just to verify we can get there at some point on Thursday and drop one of our cars at the end destination and leave one at the Hwy A trail head.

That gives us one car at the end destination so far. We will most likely need one or two more.

It sounds like there will be 2 more groups going out on this hike. Those heading out on trail Friday from Trail head at Hwy A and those heading out Saturday heading out from Jhonson Shutins.

If we get one person from each group to drop off a car at the end destination that would be three cars and should be plenty.

This of course is just a suggestion and any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone soon :)

digitizer101
04-04-2013, 10:45
Hairbear are you thinking of meeting the rest of the group at the Trail Head at Hwy A Friday morning or just meeting up with them at the TS3 marker on this map?

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/bell_mtn_loop.jpg

They are only about a mile apart so I don't know that it matters much except we would have to back track and repeat that section.

Thanks

hairbear
04-04-2013, 21:35
Hairbear are you thinking of meeting the rest of the group at the Trail Head at Hwy A Friday morning or just meeting up with them at the TS3 marker on this map?

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/2/3/bell_mtn_loop.jpg

They are only about a mile apart so I don't know that it matters much except we would have to back track and repeat that section.

Thanks
Yes the ts3 is the start of the bell mountain trail. That is where you leave the o t. That will be where the group catches up .
That first part is pretty rocky. We might have to come down a little further to get to a real nice spring for water .

hairbear
04-04-2013, 21:47
If you feel adventurous we could go in the way i came out the last time.It would be bush whacking for the first 5 miles down joes creek then skirt the mountain going up the back side. When I say bush whacking im not using the term lightly, then we come to the trail making easier going to the top.
Doesnt matter to me we can hike your hike that day,the trail up is just as good.

digitizer101
04-05-2013, 06:45
Hiking the creek in could be fun, however I am not very good at bushwhacking when it comes to directions. Once I am off the trail I am lost for the most part hence the reason I back track as soon as I feel like I've lost a visual marker of the trail.

But I am game to give it a try if you feel comfortable with the direction. The bushwhacking through the woods part doesn't bother me I kind of enjoy it as long as I don't feel lost.

What time where you thinking of meeting on Thursday at the trail head. My guess is that we may as well head straight to the end point and meet there to drop off a car first then head back over to trail head on Hwy A.

Disco are we all planning on ending at the new Russel Mountain trail head(High Pointer Trailhead) still?

Thanks

Skygzr
04-05-2013, 08:33
My car will be at the end ,Ill get you to hwy a.

I am going to the Johnson Shut In trail head Saturday morning - For thise starting there what time does everyone want to meet - 7 am?
I was also planning to take Monday off and once shuttled back to Hwy A then walk the section I missed friday back to the shut in parking lot

hairbear
04-05-2013, 08:37
I am going to the Johnson Shut In trail head Saturday morning - For thise starting there what time does everyone want to meet - 7 am?
I was also planning to take Monday off and once shuttled back to Hwy A then walk the section I missed friday back to the shut in parking lot

Ill get you back to hwy a ,no problem.

Skygzr
04-05-2013, 08:39
If you wanted to stay for Monday we could do bell mountain again then?

hairbear
04-05-2013, 08:43
If you wanted to stay for Monday we could do bell mountain again then?
Nothing I would enjoy more than some extra miles with you ,but after bouncing out of here early ill need to get back for work monday morning. Next time perhaps?

Skygzr
04-05-2013, 08:55
See you Saturday morning then

hairbear
04-05-2013, 08:58
See you Saturday morning then

looking forward to it.

Disco
04-07-2013, 07:29
I just got back last night from hiking this entire section (Hwy A to Hwy 21/Claybaugh Creek TH) over the last four days.
I think we may need to park at Taum Sauk Mt. instead of the Russell Mt. TH.
Parts of the trail are very rugged, I did 10 miles each day and it was tough. I think we'd be really pushing it to do 36 in 3 days.
If we do Hwy A to Taum Sauk, we're still looking at 30 miles in 3 days, and I think that will be more manageable and enjoyable. It also works out better for where I want to camp each night...otherwise we'd have too many miles on the last day.

There is a nice parking lot at Taum Sauk Mt, so we can meet there Friday morning, then cram into a couple cars and head to the Hwy A TH. We'll still be on track to meet guys at the Shut Ins on Saturday for Lunch. I scouted some great spots to camp each night! Should be fun!

Disco
04-07-2013, 08:57
It looks like if we camp where I want to camp, we'll be doing aprox. 11 miles on day one, 7 miles on day two, and 12 miles on day 3.

Day 1: Hwy A to Walker Branch. There is a nice site with a fire ring there, and there should be water in the branch.

Day 2: Walker Branch to Johnson Shut Ins for Lunch, to the Scour. The Scour is a cool place to hang...neat view of the valley and the reservoir.

Day 3: The Scour to Taum Sauk Mt.. This will be a long day, but we'll see some cool stuff like Mina Sauk Falls and Devil's Tollgate.

A few notes about the terrain... There is every possible kind of surface along this trail. Mud, gravel, grass, dirt, moss, large boulders that you have to climb up, and several creek crossings (including the Black River). You name it, we'll walk on it. Choose your shoes/boots accordingly.
Water was plentiful...hopefully that will be the case when we go.
There are many areas where you are in the sun for a long time. Sunscreen is suggested.

Gideon
04-07-2013, 09:41
Wow Disco! Sounds like we're really going to be doing some hiking on this one! Thank you for all of the scouting!
Gideon

fgtayl01
04-07-2013, 13:24
Hey guys.

I'd have a hard time keeping up with you all on that distance anyway but I was hoping to offer any logistics support/travel/etc. you might want and at least get few miles a night in on my own.

Looks like I'll be working though. Always happens on the best weekends. :(

Skygzr
04-07-2013, 14:25
It looks like if we camp where I want to camp, we'll be doing aprox. 11 miles on day one, 7 miles on day two, and 12 miles on day 3.

Day 1: Hwy A to Walker Branch. There is a nice site with a fire ring there, and there should be water in the branch.

Day 2: Walker Branch to Johnson Shut Ins for Lunch, to the Scour. The Scour is a cool place to hang...neat view of the valley and the reservoir.

Day 3: The Scour to Taum Sauk Mt.. This will be a long day, but we'll see some cool stuff like Mina Sauk Falls and Devil's Tollgate.

A few notes about the terrain... There is every possible kind of surface along this trail. Mud, gravel, grass, dirt, moss, large boulders that you have to climb up, and several creek crossings (including the Black River). You name it, we'll walk on it. Choose your shoes/boots accordingly.
There are many areas where you are in the sun for a long time. Sunscreen is suggested.

Disco
were you planning on coming into the shut- in parking lot for any reason or should we meet you on the OT at the intersection?

Disco
04-07-2013, 17:47
Disco
were you planning on coming into the shut- in parking lot for any reason or should we meet you on the OT at the intersection?

I thought it would be nice for us to come into the shut in parking lot and meet you guys by the visitors center. There are several picnic tables there where we could sit and eat lunch.

Skygzr
04-07-2013, 17:53
I thought it would be nice for us to come into the shut in parking lot and meet you guys by the visitors center. There are several picnic tables there where we could sit and eat lunch.

Then that is where we shall be! :lol:
Anyone that wants to start from the Shut-in parking lot I will be there between 7-8 am.

Disco
04-07-2013, 18:25
I think we'll be strolling into the shut ins at about noon....are you going to hike up the trail to meet us?

hairbear
04-07-2013, 18:28
I just got back last night from hiking this entire section (Hwy A to Hwy 21/Claybaugh Creek TH) over the last four days.
I think we may need to park at Taum Sauk Mt. instead of the Russell Mt. TH.
Parts of the trail are very rugged, I did 10 miles each day and it was tough. I think we'd be really pushing it to do 36 in 3 days.
If we do Hwy A to Taum Sauk, we're still looking at 30 miles in 3 days, and I think that will be more manageable and enjoyable. It also works out better for where I want to camp each night...otherwise we'd have too many miles on the last day.

There is a nice parking lot at Taum Sauk Mt, so we can meet there Friday morning, then cram into a couple cars and head to the Hwy A TH. We'll still be on track to meet guys at the Shut Ins on Saturday for Lunch. I scouted some great spots to camp each night! Should be fun!

Nice recon disco. That should knock the winter rust off those knees.

Skygzr
04-07-2013, 18:29
I think we'll be strolling into the shut ins at about noon....are you going to hike up the trail to meet us?

I will wait and see who else is joining me at the shut-in parking lot. I don't want to leave anyone hanging, but if I am there early and everyone else is planning on coming later to make lunch, I will hike, in your direction in the morning and come back to get anyone else in the parking lot.

if anyone is planning on coming Saturday morning, just chime in here and let me know what you would like to do.

Spiffyguy
04-09-2013, 15:46
I am fairly certain I can make this one. What time on Friday is the meet at Taum Sauk Mt Parking lot? I am coming down from St Charles so need to figure driving. I have never been down in this area so it looks like it will be a good one.

Disco
04-09-2013, 16:33
We should meet at the Taum Sauk Mt. parking lot at 8am.
We have about a 45min drive from there to the hwy A trailhead, so that will put us on the trail by about 9.

Spiffyguy
04-09-2013, 17:46
Whoo Buddy that be the crack of dawn fo' sure. Be a short night but I think I can make that. 2 hour drive then 11 miles. Does a body good right? lol Thanks for organizing all this. Looking forward to it.

Gideon
04-09-2013, 19:11
Don't know about the rest of you but I'm excited about this one. I'm a bit out of shape after the winter so this hike sounds challenging. I don't want to wimp out in front of all of you! :cool:

I think I'll be fine and it's been motivation to hit the eliptical a lot more than I had been. Pyro is groaning because he can't go; he's trying to work something out with the school (with his parents help) so who know's, maybe he'll make it!

Looking forward to meeting some new friends and hiking with the old ones!!

Thanks Disco for the work you've put into this one!

Gideon

Disco
04-09-2013, 20:19
Even though my feet are just now getting back to normal, I'm already looking forward to doing this hike again. It was loads of fun with tons of cool stuff to see, so I'm anxious to see it all again with you guys.

I'm hoping for slightly warmer temps this time with a much lighter pack, too!

hairbear
04-10-2013, 07:17
Even though my feet are just now getting back to normal, I'm already looking forward to doing this hike again. It was loads of fun with tons of cool stuff to see, so I'm anxious to see it all again with you guys.

I'm hoping for slightly warmer temps this time with a much lighter pack, too!

Strange weather here. Two weeks ago im hiking in snow,now ive got a sun burn in 77 degree weather. Hope its not another right from winter to summer year.

digitizer101
04-10-2013, 07:32
Strange weather here. Two weeks ago im hiking in snow,now ive got a sun burn in 77 degree weather. Hope its not another right from winter to summer year.

If it gets any hotter I will be able to get my pack bellow 30 lbs as I won't need an under quilt or my down Jacket;)

hairbear
04-10-2013, 07:40
If it gets any hotter I will be able to get my pack bellow 30 lbs as I won't need an under quilt or my down Jacket;)

I finished my fronky winged dog bug net last night. Fits like a glove,well after having to add four inches to the length of it.

Hoot
04-10-2013, 11:48
I finished my fronky winged dog bug net last night. Fits like a glove,well after having to add four inches to the length of it.

Fronky Winged Bug Net :confused:

I has interest with anything that has wings. Do tell!

Hoot
04-10-2013, 11:54
I have plans on making this trip. This will be the last summer hike I will make unless I head north (Which I have lots of plans to do so)

I have an Extended Cab truck to haul gear and people in to the starting point.

I already put in for that Friday Off. Boss Says I take to many Fridays off to hike, I reminded him he plays golf 2-3 times a week, during the week. He said Well Played.

So I expect I will be there. Hope to talk Shamen into coming.

I almost can't wait to hang out with you guys again.

Spiffyguy
04-10-2013, 16:27
Hope it is not too hot. Need to test out my 20* EE quilt.

digitizer101
04-10-2013, 21:43
I have plans on making this trip. This will be the last summer hike I will make unless I head north (Which I have lots of plans to do so)

I have an Extended Cab truck to haul gear and people in to the starting point.

I already put in for that Friday Off. Boss Says I take to many Fridays off to hike, I reminded him he plays golf 2-3 times a week, during the week. He said Well Played.

So I expect I will be there. Hope to talk Shamen into coming.

I almost can't wait to hang out with you guys again.

Hoot looking forward to seeing you. Hope Shamen is up for it too. I just watched the video of your KC hike and wished I had the time off to have gotten to go.

This hike has got me real excited I get to test out new gear and finally finish the only hike that I have ever set out to do and not completed.

Look out Taum Sauk I will conquer you this time;)

Hoot
04-10-2013, 22:52
Look out Taum Sauk I will conquer you this time;)

Of course you will... All we have to do is stick Hairbear in the back with a cattle prod and we will make short work of that little walk in the woods.

hairbear
04-10-2013, 23:27
lol glad your going to make it hoot.

hairbear
04-10-2013, 23:32
Fronky Winged Bug Net :confused:

I has interest with anything that has wings. Do tell!

Fronkey has a bug net how to video. He taped wings to his dogs to make them look like bugs,so im calling the thing the winged dog.

hairbear
04-10-2013, 23:49
Of course you will... All we have to do is stick Hairbear in the back with a cattle prod and we will make short work of that little walk in the woods.
Ill be working on keeping up with disco,hes got some strong legs.

digitizer101
04-11-2013, 09:47
Hoot, I wouldn't worry about Hairbear's trekking speed, by the time May rolls around it will most likely be 102 degrees in Missouri and Hairbear will be going down the trail barefoot and fancy free. We should have no trouble keeping up with him then;)

hairbear
04-11-2013, 09:53
Hoot, I wouldn't worry about Hairbear's trekking speed, by the time May rolls around it will most likely be 102 degrees in Missouri and Hairbear will be going down the trail barefoot and fancy free. We should have no trouble keeping up with him then;)

Got my first barefoot miles in last weekend .Did a 16 mile day ,the last 4 were barefoot. Couldnt belive i got a sunburn on the top of my feet two weeks after the snow melted. The sunburn came from the equipment run time in camp mostly though.

Disco
04-11-2013, 20:58
I cringed at the thought of hiking this trail barefoot. :eek:

momedic
04-13-2013, 23:37
Me and the wife may try to make this. Will there b other women there so she would b more comfortable? And would this be pet friendly? Our GSD hikes with us, even has her own pack.

Gideon
04-14-2013, 10:06
I can't speak for everyone Momedic, however, we've had women along before and I think they were comfortable; the core group has some character and isn't too crude; I've brought my 14 year old boy on most of our group hands and felt comfortable. As I said, i can't speak for everyone but I believe the core group (including myself) would go out of our way to make anyone, male or female feel welcome and comfortable.

As for the dog, I'm good with it and would enjoy it! I have a fat stupid dog that I absolutely love and would like to hike with someday. I won't bring him on a group hang because he's not trained well enough and I don't want others to have to put up with it. I've got him on a diet now and we're walking him more trying to get him into some measure of shape; I plan on taking him out on some short solo hikes this year. He's mostly chocolate lab but has some pit bull in there somewhere. He's scared of his own shadow but can look intimidating.

Anyway, I hope the three of you can make it, I think this is going to be a really great hike; normally we don't hike as much; we spend more time in camp, so I'm looking forward to the higher miles this time and the fact that it's a 3 day, 2 night trip; we never seem to get enough of each other on a simple over-nighter.

I'm sure the other guys will post.

Gideon

digitizer101
04-14-2013, 11:53
Momedic, I as well would have no issue with a dog and as for as your wife being the only female on the trip that is entirely up to you. I welcome anyone to come along male, female and children. As long as you feel comfortable you should both come along. As Gideon mentioned this group is a great bunch of hikers and I think they would welcome just about anyone and make them feel comfortable.

Disco
04-14-2013, 12:30
It would be great to have you, your wife, and the pup along.

I don't believe there are any other women coming along this time, but we always go out of our way to make everyone comfortable.

As far as the dog, we expect the same out of dogs as we do people....no biting, and no howling after bed time. :lol:

rngn
04-14-2013, 17:52
Ya Gideon did you here what disco said no biting

digitizer101
04-14-2013, 18:14
And Hairbear he said no howling after bed time. So next time you trip when getting out of the hammock in the middle of the night keep it to a simple roar.

Disco
04-14-2013, 18:25
I just wanted to reiterate the type of trail and hike this is. We are going to be doing 10+ miles for 3 days straight over some very tough terrain; including mud, gravel, loose rock, along with climbing up boulders and stream crossings.

This is not the hike for first-timers or the weak-hearted. I'm not saying this to scare anyone off, but I want to paint a realistic picture of what this hike will be like. It's no leisurely stroll in the woods, so be sure that you and anyone you bring along are prepared physically and with prper gear before you decide to come along.

Spiffyguy
04-14-2013, 18:27
I just wanted to reiterate the type of trail and hike this is. We are going to be doing 10+ miles for 3 days straight over some very tough terrain; including mud, gravel, loose rock, along with climbing up boulders and stream crossings.

This is not the hike for first-timers or the weak-hearted. I'm not saying this to scare anyone off, but I want to paint a realistic picture of what this hike will be like. It's no leisurely stroll in the woods, so be sure that you and anyone you bring along are prepared physically and with prper gear before you decide to come along.

Woot, just want the doctor ordered, tough terrain. Been doing 8 milers to get back in shape. Should be a grand time. Looking forward to it.

rngn
04-14-2013, 18:46
Disco I'm going to try my best to keep up with you buddy.

Hoot
04-14-2013, 23:34

Is a small matter

Rocks, twigs, some dirt and a little more then 5 to 6 hours of walking a day.

(This trail is a beast, just so everyone knows it is no easy task to defeat it without being defeated. I watched some video on it.)

As of today, I still have plans on coming. Although I am going to kick some dirt down south next weekend. I think my Wife is coming to this one as well. She normally only hikes/camps in the summer. She gets cold in the shade.

More to come!

hairbear
04-15-2013, 07:32
Me and the wife may try to make this. Will there b other women there so she would b more comfortable? And would this be pet friendly? Our GSD hikes with us, even has her own pack.

I cant speak for the group,but Spider and Honey bear come as a couple they are safe and welcome. It would hurt our feelings to find out any different,as we think of them as a very important members of our group.
I also hike with a dog,so your pet would also be welcome.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 07:34
Disco I'm going to try my best to keep up with you buddy.

Glad to hear you will be there.

Disco
04-15-2013, 10:29
THE PLAN

I cant edit the first post anymore, so here's the updated plan...

Friday 8am: Meet at the Taum Sauk Mountain parking lot. Pile into a few cars and drive to the hwy A trailhead to start our hike.

Hoot
04-15-2013, 10:55
THE PLAN

Friday 8am: Meet at the Taum Sauk Mountain parking lot. Pile into a few cars and drive to the hwy A trailhead to start our hike.

With the terrain we have down there, what MPH Pace are we going to try to Maintain?

Disco
04-15-2013, 10:59
When I hiked it 2 weeks ago, I averaged about 2mph. That's with stopping for water and to check out the views quite a bit. There are areas where we'll go faster, and there are areas with steep uphill climbs over rocks where we'll go slower.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 13:43
When I hiked it 2 weeks ago, I averaged about 2mph. That's with stopping for water and to check out the views quite a bit. There are areas where we'll go faster, and there are areas with steep uphill climbs over rocks where we'll go slower.

Sounds like a dandy trail.

Disco
04-15-2013, 13:48
Sounds like a dandy trail.

you betcha....this trail will separate the men from the boys. :laugh:

hairbear
04-15-2013, 13:52

Luv it great choice as always ,Ive been on some real nice trails because of you.
Thanks for what you do.

digitizer101
04-15-2013, 14:49

Disco, was that a crack about my age:(

I am not sure which side of that I would want to be on I know all three of my boys could out hike me!

Disco
04-15-2013, 14:52
Luv it great choice as always ,Ive been on some real nice trails because of you.
Thanks for what you do.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Disco, was that a crack about my age:(

I am not sure which side of that I would want to be on I know all three of my boys could out hike me!

:laugh: Well, I guess there are good and bad on both sides of that fence. Get that pack weight down and you'll feel a lot younger!

hairbear
04-15-2013, 17:51
And Hairbear he said no howling after bed time. So next time you trip when getting out of the hammock in the middle of the night keep it to a simple roar.

Ok ill let the rest of you in on what he is giving me the prod about.
Last hang it was 10 degrees,so to save my heat I tried to pee over the side of the ridge runner. Well in the middle of the process the wind gusted blowing my saddle bag up in the wind. The results of which ended up with me peeing in the darn thing.
Digitizer was hanging close enough to hear my verbalization of my displeasure.:eek:

Spiffyguy
04-15-2013, 18:05
Ok ill let the rest of you in on what he is giving me the prod about.
Last hang it was 10 degrees,so to save my heat I tried to pee over the side of the ridge runner. Well in the middle of the process the wind gusted blowing my saddle bag up in the wind. The results of which ended up with me peeing in the darn thing.
Digitizer was hanging close enough to hear my verbalization of my displeasure.:eek:

Ha that sucks. I am certainly not coordinated to do a pee from the hammock. Have enough trouble stumbling around in the dark.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 18:18
Ha that sucks. I am certainly not coordinated to do a pee from the hammock. Have enough trouble stumbling around in the dark.

Me either,I will not try that again.lol

Hoot
04-15-2013, 19:19
MO Thru Hike OT Trail -Hammock Shenanigans - Staring Hairbear

(So how did you get your Hammock clean)

:lol:

Campalot
04-15-2013, 19:37
Well it's official, my hammock camping in Missouri was short lived. My wife and I are moving to Nashville tn in hopes of me getting back into the elevator trade. She already found a job and starts work May 20th and I will go as soon as the house sells. There is just no way for me to go in May, will be running back and forth from here to there looking for places to live. It was nice meeting everyone and will definitely keep in touch. Hope you guys have a nice trip and will be looking forward to your reports.

rngn
04-15-2013, 20:04
Hey Disco, Did you see that pyro wont be there this time ,If he aint there who are we going to corrupt by telling jokes around the camp fire while his dad is sleeping. oops i wasnt supposed to say anything.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 20:22
Well it's official, my hammock camping in Missouri was short lived. My wife and I are moving to Nashville tn in hopes of me getting back into the elevator trade. She already found a job and starts work May 20th and I will go as soon as the house sells. There is just no way for me to go in May, will be running back and forth from here to there looking for places to live. It was nice meeting everyone and will definitely keep in touch. Hope you guys have a nice trip and will be looking forward to your reports.

Sure was my pleasure in meeting you,hope to see you again sometime. Im sure there are hangers where your going . Best of luck to you.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 20:34
MO Thru Hike OT Trail -Hammock Shenanigans - Staring Hairbear

(So how did you get your Hammock clean)

:lol:

Splashed a little water on it until I could get home,and pretended it never happened.Ten degrees helps make you forget your a germ freak.

Spiffyguy
04-15-2013, 20:43
Splashed a little water on it until I could get home,and pretended it never happened.Ten degrees helps make you forget your a germ freak.

Maybe he can be like the other Bear and drink the pee next time. Hammock Survival with Hairbear. I would watch that show lol.

rngn
04-15-2013, 20:44

Was that on Bell MT?

Disco
04-15-2013, 20:46
Was that on Bell MT?

Cuivre River. That was a cold night.

Gideon
04-15-2013, 20:47
It was nice meeting you Campalot; sorry we won't be seeing more of you! Life happens and sometimes you have to make the move; tomorrow I'm flying to Ohio for a job interview; long story but I need to hit the big "reset" button in my life and this may be the opportunity.

I hope it works out well for you!

As for you guys corrupting Pyro while I sleep; well believe me my son and I have an unusual relationship; he tell's me "almost" everything, even about ding dong ditching :D

Looking forward to seeing the rest of you in a few weeks; I desperately need the trail time!

Gideon

Disco
04-15-2013, 20:48

It was nice hanging with you, Campalot. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday. Hope you find a good spot to hang in TN.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 20:53
Was that on Bell MT?
No it was the last hang,man was it a cool night.

rngn
04-15-2013, 20:57
It was nice meeting you Campalot; sorry we won't be seeing more of you! Life happens and sometimes you have to make the move; tomorrow I'm flying to Ohio for a job interview; long story but I need to hit the big "reset" button in my life and this may be the opportunity.

As for you guys corrupting Pyro while I sleep; well believe me my son and I have an unusual relationship; he tell's me "almost" everything, even about ding dong ditching :D

Looking forward to seeing the rest of you in a few weeks; I desperately need the trail time!

Gideon
Hey Gideon whats up ,how is that darien? I was just kidding about the boy hopefully he can make it.

Gideon
04-15-2013, 20:58
Well I just caught up reading all the posts about the trail. Okay Disco, you've got my attention. At the end of the day you can all just leave me; I'll finish, just no telling when; I won't bite or howl, I'll just never give up. :cool:

I wish Pyro was coming so he could haul some of my gear :(

I like that this isn't going to be a walk in the park, i like that sense of anticipation, of the peer pressure to keep up with my friends, of being 52 but still wanting to do respectably for my age. I like all of it, the comradrie, the sense of adventure, etc.

I know I'll be hurting during and afterwards but I know I'll feel so good about it!

And if all else fails, you can all practice your bush craft and carry me out on an improvised litter. :lol:

Gideon

hairbear
04-15-2013, 21:00

Gideon
How have you been Gideon,looking forward to seeing you again as well. Am I reading this right? We have a chance of loosing you too?

rngn
04-15-2013, 21:04
No it was the last hang,man was it a cool night.
Remember to mark the trail when you leave it so somebody dont walk on by you.

Disco
04-15-2013, 21:05
I know I'll be hurting during and afterwards but I know I'll feel so good about it!

It's totally worth the pain!

Gideon
04-15-2013, 21:05
Hey RNGN, the Darien UL is absolutely great; I love it and it's comfortable. I really like the reversed whoopie slings and dutch hooks. This will be the first hike where I've been able to go with my "optimized" UL setup, so I'm excited about that. Based on what Disco has said about the trail, I'll be glad for the light pack weight. If I'm not mistaken, you have the same hammock, right? How do you like yours?

Gideon

hairbear
04-15-2013, 21:20
Maybe he can be like the other Bear and drink the pee next time. Hammock Survival with Hairbear. I would watch that show lol.

Can you imagine the morning breath? There was a guy I worked with that did that on a dare.Some guys were talking about what they would do for 100 dollars. As the stories went around the table each one got a little more gross.
Finally this guy says he would drink a cup of his own pee for 100 bucks,before you knew what happened a bunch started throwing money on the table.
He went into the bathroom peed in a dixie cup ,and brought it back to the break room.
He did it ,but when the bosses found out they fired him for bringing a cross contamination into a food production area. Can you imagine trying to get unemployment for that!
He got a doctors excuse to get his job back . The doctor stated that he had a vitamin p deficiancy.(made up the last part):shades:

hairbear
04-15-2013, 21:22
Remember to mark the trail when you leave it so somebody dont walk on by you.
Will you be coming up from behind us?

rngn
04-15-2013, 21:26
I love mine, very comfortable and of course very light.Besides it gave me a reason to lose wieght. 200 pound wieght limit and all.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 21:28
It was nice hanging with you, Campalot. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday. Hope you find a good spot to hang in TN.

missouri hang 25 will have to be in the smokey mountains now that we have a go to guy in the area lol.

rngn
04-15-2013, 21:30
Will you be coming up from behind us?

Ya ,But I was talking about when we did that 33 mile section in two days.

hairbear
04-15-2013, 21:31
Ya ,But I was talking about when we did that 33 mile section in two days.
I knew lol......been getting any miles in?

rngn
04-15-2013, 21:52
Yep . Ive been working out 4 or 5 days a week and lost 40 pound. What about you still going to the AT?

hairbear
04-15-2013, 22:13
Yep . Ive been working out 4 or 5 days a week and lost 40 pound. What about you still going to the AT?

Congrats on the 40 loss. Im still planning on it .

Campalot
04-16-2013, 16:28
Congrats on the 40 loss. Im still planning on it .

When are thinking about the at trip?

hairbear
04-16-2013, 16:49
When are thinking about the at trip?

Was hoping for this summer after my son graduates.

Skygzr
04-16-2013, 18:17

40 pounds! that is impressive. I been trying to loss a solid 10 but motivating myself to workout inside has been very hard :lol:

Skygzr
04-16-2013, 18:24
So is there anyone else out there that is planning on starting from Johnson Shut-in parking lot on Saturday morning?

rngn
04-16-2013, 18:36
40 pounds! that is impressive. I been trying to loss a solid 10 but motivating myself to workout inside has been very hard :lol:

Ya thanks buddy,Ive been working out since september . I actually look foward to it everyday well almost everyday.

Skygzr
04-16-2013, 18:38
Ya thanks buddy,Ive been working out sinse september . I actually look foward to it everyday well almost everyday.

I know I just have to start. I am traveling around with Insanity, P90X and 10 minute trainer all in my bag and I can't get motivated to do a thing after a day of work and I sure not going to get up an hour earlier! :scared:

rngn
04-16-2013, 18:53
I know I just have to start. I am traveling around with Insanity, P90X and 10 minute trainer all in my bag and I can't get motivated to do a thing after a day of work and I sure not going to get up an hour earlier! :scared:

I personally just made my mind up that i didnt want to be fat anymore, and have been going stong ever since.Hopefully ,I can keep it up.

Spider
04-17-2013, 17:56
Missouri named "best trails state."

4/17/13, 2:37 PM

JEFFERSON CITY – Missouri has been named the “Best Trails State” by American Trails, a national, nonprofit organization working on behalf of the nation’s hiking, biking and riding trails. The award was announced today at the International Trails Symposium in Arizona. The national award is presented every two years to the state that has made tremendous contributions to promote and improve their trails system.

“Missouri has an outstanding system of trails that can accommodate a wide variety of activities ranging from a short walk to a hike through the wilderness,” said Gov. Jay Nixon. “This award is a great honor for our state, and I encourage all Missouri families to get out there and take advantage of this incredible resource found right here in the Show-Me State.

Missouri State Parks offers almost 1,000 miles of managed trails and the state claims more than 500 miles of National Recreation Trails designated by the U.S. Department of Interior. The state lives up to its reputation as “Gateway to the West” with significant trails including the Lewis and Clark, Trail of Tears, Santa Fe National Historic Trails passing through the state and the Pony Express, California, and Oregon National Historic Trails beginning on the western border. Missouri is also the home of the Katy Trail, the longest developed rail-trail in the nation.

“Missourians can walk, hike or bicycle on 230 incredibly diverse trails throughout the state park system,” said Sara Parker Pauley, director of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. “Spending time outdoors exploring our trail system not only provides us with a great adventure, it also provides us with an opportunity to improve our overall health and well-being.”

“The contributions of staff, volunteers, and support groups have made Missouri’s state park trails stand out as the best in the nation,” said Bill Bryan, director of Missouri State Parks, a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. “We are proud of these efforts and look forward to continuing work to build on our network so even more families can enjoy trails in our state,” added Bryan while accepting the award on behalf of Missouri State Parks.

The award also recognized Missouri State Parks for a project that began in 2008 to inventory and manage trails, which is being used in a statewide effort to consolidate and coordinate trail data. Missouri State Parks recently released Trails of Missouri State Parks, a publication that provides detailed information on 230 Missouri State Parks trails.

hairbear
04-17-2013, 18:57
Missouri named "best trails state."

4/17/13, 2:37 PM

JEFFERSON CITY – Missouri has been named the “Best Trails State” by American Trails, a national, nonprofit organization working on behalf of the nation’s hiking, biking and riding trails. The award was announced today at the International Trails Symposium in Arizona. The national award is presented every two years to the state that has made tremendous contributions to promote and improve their trails system.

“Missouri has an outstanding system of trails that can accommodate a wide variety of activities ranging from a short walk to a hike through the wilderness,” said Gov. Jay Nixon. “This award is a great honor for our state, and I encourage all Missouri families to get out there and take advantage of this incredible resource found right here in the Show-Me State.

Missouri State Parks offers almost 1,000 miles of managed trails and the state claims more than 500 miles of National Recreation Trails designated by the U.S. Department of Interior. The state lives up to its reputation as “Gateway to the West” with significant trails including the Lewis and Clark, Trail of Tears, Santa Fe National Historic Trails passing through the state and the Pony Express, California, and Oregon National Historic Trails beginning on the western border. Missouri is also the home of the Katy Trail, the longest developed rail-trail in the nation.

“Missourians can walk, hike or bicycle on 230 incredibly diverse trails throughout the state park system,” said Sara Parker Pauley, director of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. “Spending time outdoors exploring our trail system not only provides us with a great adventure, it also provides us with an opportunity to improve our overall health and well-being.”

“The contributions of staff, volunteers, and support groups have made Missouri’s state park trails stand out as the best in the nation,” said Bill Bryan, director of Missouri State Parks, a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. “We are proud of these efforts and look forward to continuing work to build on our network so even more families can enjoy trails in our state,” added Bryan while accepting the award on behalf of Missouri State Parks.

The award also recognized Missouri State Parks for a project that began in 2008 to inventory and manage trails, which is being used in a statewide effort to consolidate and coordinate trail data. Missouri State Parks recently released Trails of Missouri State Parks, a publication that provides detailed information on 230 Missouri State Parks trails.

A well deserved recognition ,missouri trails are in great shape.

Disco
04-17-2013, 20:24
Awesome! I agree.

Skygzr
04-18-2013, 06:18
I was just going to post this, this morning- good show Hairbear- and we will be on one of the jewels of the trail system.

Skygzr
04-18-2013, 17:03
Good news, my schedule has changed and I will be at the Taum Sauk trail head at 8 am on Friday morning.
see you all then:lol:

Fronkey
04-18-2013, 17:26
How far away is this from Branson? It turns out my ladies dad will be driving down there to see his folks and I can probably make it to this hang if it's not too far away. :)

Fronkey

Skygzr
04-18-2013, 17:30
How far away is this from Branson? It turns out my ladies dad will be driving down there to see his folks and I can probably make it to this hang if it's not too far away. :)

Fronkey

it is 3 hours, but if he is going to come through St.Louis, he could drop you at my house on the way south to Branson. If he takes the normal route from MN to Branson, which is through Iowa City, IA, he will pass within 2 miles of my house at the intersection of HWY 40 and HWY 70.

hairbear
04-18-2013, 17:35

Fronkey
You sure would be welcome. Ill let someone else give you the directions. I copied your bugnet ,its working great for me.

Fronkey
04-18-2013, 17:37
it is 3 hours, but if he is going to come through St.Louis, he could drop you at my house on the way south to Branson. If he takes the normal route from MN to Branson, which is through Iowa City, IA, he will pass within 2 miles of my house at the intersection of HWY 40 and HWY 70.
I very well may do that. He is going to give me a call when he's done with work and I'll figure out his schedule. I'm not sure if he is driving up Thursday or Friday afternoon. But, worse case scenario I should be able to atleast make it there for one night by just using the car to drive on over while he is visiting his folks. I'm about 90% sure I can make this one. :)

You sure would be welcome. Ill let someone else give you the directions. I copied your bugnet ,its working great for me.

Thanks hairbear. I will be great to meet some new friends and I'm happy the bug net is working out for you.

Fronkey

Fronkey
04-18-2013, 17:54

I used google maps and it says that the quickest route is to go through Kansas City which isn't really that close. I am going to see if I can snag the car and make it for a night to hang with everyone, which shouldn't be an issue at all. I'll have an answer by this weekend. :D

Fronkey

Gideon
04-18-2013, 19:04
Well guys; got some news...I'm still going to make the hike (the upside...for me, maybe not you :D) but the downside is (for me, maybe not you) is that It'll be my last. I got a job offer today in Ohio and I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept. Could have me leaving the area in 3 weeks.

I'm excited, scared, and already missing you guys; odd how you got under my skin so quickly :cool:

We can play it safe or we can put ourselves out there a bit sometimes. One way we stagnate, the other has risk but also the opportunity for growth. I don't want to be done growing so for the sake of my family and myself I think it's time to put myself out there a bit.

Anyway, looking forward to our hike even more than I was.

Gideon

digitizer101
04-18-2013, 20:32
Well guys; got some news...I'm still going to make the hike (the upside...for me, maybe not you :D) but the downside is (for me, maybe not you) is that It'll be my last. I got a job offer today in Ohio and I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept. Could have me leaving the area in 3 weeks.

I'm excited, scared, and already missing you guys; odd how you got under my skin so quickly :cool:

We can play it safe or we can put ourselves out there a bit sometimes. One way we stagnate, the other has risk but also the opportunity for growth. I don't want to be done growing so for the sake of my family and myself I think it's time to put myself out there a bit.

Gideon

Gideon, glad to hear the opportunity has opened up for you. I will defiantly be sad to see you go but I look at it as a friend in a new location. Now if I choose to go on a hike in Ohio I know the first person I am calling.

Looking forward to the weekend coming up. glad to hear you are still able to make it.

Disco
04-18-2013, 21:04
Good news, my schedule has changed and I will be at the Taum Sauk trail head at 8 am on Friday morning.
see you all then:lol:

That's awesome!

Disco
04-18-2013, 21:07

Gideon

Gideon, that's great news about the job. A fresh perspective is what we need sometimes. You will be sorely missed in our group though.

digitizer101
04-18-2013, 21:09
Fronkey, it would be great if you could make the hike even if just for one night. You will love the views on this trail. The Mini Sauk Falls are amazing to see and the trails tough but very rewarding.

Oh, and did I mention that this group is about as friendly as they come.

Disco
04-18-2013, 21:13
I used google maps and it says that the quickest route is to go through Kansas City which isn't really that close. I am going to see if I can snag the car and make it for a night to hang with everyone, which shouldn't be an issue at all. I'll have an answer by this weekend. :D

Fronkey

Fronkey, we'd love to have you along! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you make it out here.

Fronkey
04-18-2013, 21:22
Fronkey, it would be great if you could make the hike even if just for one night. You will love the views on this trail. The Mini Sauk Falls are amazing to see and the trails tough but very rewarding.

Oh, and did I mention that this group is about as friendly as they come.

Fronkey, we'd love to have you along! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you make it out here.

Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the warm welcome.
I'm going to talk to my lady's dad this weekend about when he plans on heading down there, so, getting from Mn to MO (Branson area) will be a piece of cake. I just have to see if I can borrow his vehicle for a night and make the drive on over to you guys for a night. I would try to make it for both nights, but, the whole purpose of the trip is to see my girlfriend's grand folks and after 4 years of dating, I should probably meet them finally. lol

I will keep everyone in the loop and thanks again.

Fronkey

hairbear
04-19-2013, 17:08

Gideon

That is great news,you should be proud of yourself for sure. The selfish side of me will miss you though. You inspire me with your rock solid faith. Three cheers for Gideon the rock.

fgtayl01
04-19-2013, 21:23
Gideon - I grew up in southeast Ohio. Great hiking in the area. I get over for at least once a year at hit the forest.

You could do a lot worse.

momedic
04-20-2013, 11:19
well I think we may still make it but I guess I misread the original route. I thought for some reason we were hiking NB & we had planned to continue on to Hwy 8 TH or close to it.
We are taking of for a week + and want to spend about a week on the trail. Worst case scenario is we'll just meet up with you all somewhere along the trail.
Where do you plan to hang Sat night, near the scour close to Hwy N TH or closer to Johnson Shut-in TH?
Another option is for us to go SB with you all then get a ride back to Hwy A then head North.
We have a quad cab truck & will be happy to shuttle people from Taum Sauk to Hwy A, but is will someone gonna mind my dog riding back to hwy A TH from Taum Sauk?

momedic
04-20-2013, 11:27
Hey I was wondering if your are the same one that has like 100+ you tube videos on alcohol stoves?
If so just to let you know that is one huge stove addiction, I am a healthcare professional and maybe during this hang we can have a intervention.
Just kidding man, I watched a bunch of them trying to figure out better UL stove option instead of my MSR whisperlite. I ended up buying a Solo Stove with the Trangia (sp?) looking fwd to trying it out on this hang.

digitizer101
04-20-2013, 13:55
Hey I was wondering if your are the same one that has like 100+ you tube videos on alcohol stoves?
If so just to let you know that is one huge stove addiction, I am a healthcare professional and maybe during this hang we can have a intervention.
Just kidding man, I watched a bunch of them trying to figure out better UL stove option instead of my MSR whisperlite. I ended up buying a Solo Stove with the Trangia (sp?) looking fwd to trying it out on this hang.

Momedic, yes that is me with the 100+ alcohol stove collection/addiction. Looking forward to meeting with you on the trail.

Campalot
04-20-2013, 15:35
That's great that you got the job. We are in Nashville this weekend looking for places to live, because the wife starts on May 20th. Wish you luck and most of all just keep on hiking.

Gideon
04-20-2013, 19:49
thank you Campalot; it came up suddenly but it's something the family has wanted for a long time; as sad as I am to leave Missouri and the company I've been with for 13 years, I'm excited about the adventure! It's too easy to play it too safe and miss out on too much!

Best of luck to you and your family; I wish we could have gotten to know each other better!

And yes, I'll keep hiking, with Pyro and eventually with some other forum members in Ohio!!

Gideon

Skygzr
04-21-2013, 09:16
well I think we may still make it but I guess I misread the original route. I thought for some reason we were hiking NB & we had planned to continue on to Hwy 8 TH or close to it.
We are taking of for a week + and want to spend about a week on the trail. Worst case scenario is we'll just meet up with you all somewhere along the trail.
Where do you plan to hang Sat night, near the scour close to Hwy N TH or closer to Johnson Shut-in TH?
Another option is for us to go SB with you all then get a ride back to Hwy A then head North.
We have a quad cab truck & will be happy to shuttle people from Taum Sauk to Hwy A, but is will someone gonna mind my dog riding back to hwy A TH from Taum Sauk?

If you want to hike south from Hwy 8 back to Hwy A, I will take you up to the trail head of Hwy 8 after our hike and then you can hike south back to your car at Hwy A.

momedic
04-21-2013, 09:45
If you want to hike south from Hwy 8 back to Hwy A, I will take you up to the trail head of Hwy 8 after our hike and then you can hike south back to your car at Hwy A.

I may take u up on that offer. Gotta look over the route and make sure we can get from hwy 8 back to hwy A in our allowed time. Does anyone know if you camp along the council bluff trail? Council bluffs looks like a good side trail but never been there so any feed back would be great.

Skygzr
04-21-2013, 10:02
I may take u up on that offer. Gotta look over the route and make sure we can get from hwy 8 back to hwy A in our allowed time. Does anyone know if you camp along the council bluff trail? Council bluffs looks like a good side trail but never been there so any feed back would be great.

Yes I have camped on that loop- 200' off the trail and you can camp anywhere along there.
It is a fairly straight forward hike from the Berryman campsite ( Hwy 8). it is 12 miles to Hazel Creek Campsite and then 15.5 miles to Narzarenko Spring or 16 to the intersection with the Council Bluff loop, this puts you just 11 miles from the Hwy A parking lot. there are several ways to do this section to stop at springs or river crossings, if you don't want to stop at Campgrounds and even out the mileage.

Skygzr
04-21-2013, 10:36
Guys,
I have various trail food packages (I have too many) if anyone wants some for the upcoming trip, please let me know and I will bring them to the trail head to save you the trouble and expense of buying food. I have various Hawk's Vittles; spaghetti and pasta varieties and also some Pack It Gourmet chicken and dumplings. Just let me know how many dinners you want and I will bring them along with me.
Thanks Craig
;)

momedic
04-21-2013, 15:20
Yes I have camped on that loop- 200' off the trail and you can camp anywhere along there.
It is a fairly straight forward hike from the Berryman campsite ( Hwy 8). it is 12 miles to Hazel Creek Campsite and then 15.5 miles to Narzarenko Spring or 16 to the intersection with the Council Bluff loop, this puts you just 11 miles from the Hwy A parking lot. there are several ways to do this section to stop at springs or river crossings, if you don't want to stop at Campgrounds and even out the mileage.

What I think we’ll do is if you don’t mind is drop us off at DD or Council Bluffs & we can hike the loop then head south to Hwy A TH, if we are running ahead of time we could add in the Bell Mtn section. This gives us the option to extend or not, because I’m sure you all are gonna wear us out. Also will going to Council bluffs take us past the HWY A TH, if so I could leave supplies in my truck so the 3 days with you all I dont have to carry a weeks worth of food.

BTW how secure is Hwy A parking area, just worried about vehicle getting broken into?

Skygzr
04-21-2013, 15:34
What I think we’ll do is if you don’t mind is drop us off at DD or Council Bluffs & we can hike the loop then head south to Hwy A TH, if we are running ahead of time we could add in the Bell Mtn section. This gives us the option to extend or not, because I’m sure you all are gonna wear us out. Also will going to Council bluffs take us past the HWY A TH, if so I could leave supplies in my truck so the 3 days with you all I dont have to carry a weeks worth of food.

BTW how secure is Hwy A parking area, just worried about vehicle getting broken into?

Yes, they are all close and all doable. Don't carry anymore than you need and we can run back by the Hwy A trail head and then get you to the DD trailhead. I don't see any problems with parking at the Hwy A trail head. it is well used and local, but the chances of any vandalism are just about the same anywhere (except maybe south of VanBuren and then I wouldn't leave a car no matter what! :scared:), we will all be leaving cars both at the Taum Sauk parking lot and the Hwy A parking lot. - anyone else have anymore local info about the parking lot, feel free to jump in with comments.

Disco
04-21-2013, 18:05
Guys,
I have various trail food packages (I have too many) if anyone wants some for the upcoming trip, please let me know and I will bring them to the trail head to save you the trouble and expense of buying food. I have various Hawk's Vittles; spaghetti and pasta varieties and also some Pack It Gourmet chicken and dumplings. Just let me know how many dinners you want and I will bring them along with me.
Thanks Craig
;)

I'd love to try one of the Pack It Gourmet chicken and dumplings, if you dont mind.

Thanks!

rngn
04-21-2013, 18:41
[QUOTE=momedic;993227]well I think we may still make it but I guess I misread the original route. I thought for some reason we were hiking NB & we had planned to continue on to Hwy 8 TH or close to it.
(Hwy 8 to hwy A is very tuff , I just did it in December. Wow very big climbs.)

momedic
04-21-2013, 22:28
[QUOTE=momedic;993227]
(Hwy 8 to hwy A is very tuff , I just did it in December. Wow very big climbs.)

How long did it take ya?

Disco
04-22-2013, 11:37
Only 11 more days! :thumbup:

Here's hoping for nice weather!

hairbear
04-22-2013, 13:17

Ive never had a problem at either trail head,even when vehicles were left for days.

Skygzr
04-22-2013, 17:42
I'd love to try one of the Pack It Gourmet chicken and dumplings, if you dont mind.

Thanks!

I will bring it for you no problem

rngn
04-22-2013, 18:10
[QUOTE=rngn;993923]

How long did it take ya?

We did the SOBO in 2 days but we had it high gear ,We did the first 21 miles on day one, No big deal. The last 17. "OUCH"!!!!!! (cost me 2 toe nails)

Skygzr
04-22-2013, 18:55
ok guys, keeping in the spirit of "hike your own hike" I just wanted to put it out there that my base weight for this trip is 9.8 lbs. :lol::lol:
see you all in 11 days.

rngn
04-22-2013, 19:13
ok guys, keeping in the spirit of "hike your own hike" I just wanted to put it out there that my base weight for this trip is 9.8 lbs. :lol::lol:
see you all in 11 days.
Show off!!!!! jk jk LOOKS LIKE IM AT 8.09 LBS

digitizer101
04-22-2013, 19:31
see you all in 11 days.

And I was proud of getting down to a weight of 30 lbs :(

Skygzr
04-22-2013, 20:14
Show off!!!!! jk jk LOOKS LIKE IM AT 8.09 LBS

Woody, you are 40 pounds lighter no one can beat that- well done.:D

rngn
04-22-2013, 20:31
Woody, you are 40 pounds lighter no one can beat that- well done.:D

Your still my hero. Skygzr

Disco
04-22-2013, 20:49
That's light! I've been working to get under the 12lb mark. If we get some warm nights, I might be.

Disco
04-24-2013, 08:58
Just a reminder since I can't change the outdated info in the first post anymore...

THE PLAN

Here's a map that shows the Taum Sauk lot and directions to the HWY A trailhead lot:

http://goo.gl/maps/x5BiW

Spiffyguy
04-24-2013, 15:12
I hope to get my base weight under 16 pounds if I can. Just started to put together some food. 7 pounds!!! Perhaps I eat too much lol.

momedic
04-24-2013, 15:23
We have a couple that are interested in joining us, they are currently ground dwellers. We are trying to convert them to hammocks. Would there be any objections if they joined us for this shindig?

Skygzr
04-24-2013, 15:59
That's light! I've been working to get under the 12lb mark. If we get some warm nights, I might be.

I am just bringing 40 degree TQ and 40 degree UQ and if those don't work I will be every item of clothing I bring! :eek:
If it snows in May I am just leaving...

Skygzr
04-24-2013, 15:59
We have a couple that are interested in joining us, they are currently ground dwellers. We are trying to convert them to hammocks. Would there be any objections if they joined us for this shindig?

I am sure Disco will agree- everyone is welcome.

digitizer101
04-24-2013, 16:10

Always happy to have a few more along for the trip. And you never know after a weekend of camping with a few of us in Hammocks they may just convert.

Disco
04-24-2013, 16:21

No objections here. I think they'll be able to find a patch of ground at each campsite :D

hairbear
04-24-2013, 18:16
And I was proud of getting down to a weight of 30 lbs :(
You should be,theres alot of work with reducing 20 lbs of pack weight in a few months.
How did your tarp come out?

digitizer101
04-24-2013, 18:48
You should be,theres alot of work with reducing 20 lbs of pack weight in a few months.
How did your tarp come out?

Yeah, I was pretty proud of the 20 lbs reduction and I will be working to get it even lower.

The tarp seams to be sealed after the 3rd attempt at sealing it. I will be bringing it on the hike next week so we shall see how things go. If all else fails I do have an emergency blanket I can pull out and suffer through it.

Hairbear, I may give you a call tomorrow after work if you are going to be around I wanted to discus our plans for Thursday and Bell Mountain. I would call tonight but I have a scout meeting and they tend to run late every Wednesday.

hairbear
04-24-2013, 19:15
Yeah, I was pretty proud of the 20 lbs reduction and I will be working to get it even lower.

The tarp seams to be sealed after the 3rd attempt at sealing it. I will be bringing it on the hike next week so we shall see how things go. If all else fails I do have an emergency blanket I can pull out and suffer through it.

Hairbear, I may give you a call tomorrow after work if you are going to be around I wanted to discus our plans for Thursday and Bell Mountain. I would call tonight but I have a scout meeting and they tend to run late every Wednesday.

ok ill leave my phone on.
Would anyone else care to join us on thursday for a pre trip hang on the top of bell mountain.

hairbear
04-24-2013, 19:20

They would be more than welcome.

rngn
04-24-2013, 21:28
They would be more than welcome.

Ditto!!!! What he said

Disco
04-24-2013, 22:19
I worked on my kit for a while tonight, weeding out some things I don't really need and swapping out a few items for lighter stuff.
I cut some straps off my Jam pack, swapped tree straps for lighter ones, exchanged biners for soft shackles....etc, etc.

I got my base weight down to 10.86lbs! I can handle that!

rngn
04-24-2013, 22:23
I worked on my kit for a while tonight, weeding out some things I don't really need and swapping out a few items for lighter stuff.
I cut some straps off my Jam pack, swapped tree straps for lighter ones, exchanged biners for soft shackles....etc, etc.

Thats pretty light buddy!!!!

Spiffyguy
04-24-2013, 22:39
That is very light. I am not sure I will ever make that light. I was excited to drop a a pound or so switching to a nice top quilt form enlightened equipment. Saved a bunch of weight there.

hairbear
04-25-2013, 07:09

nice,Im pretty close to that myself.
Last time I went out it was 20lbish with water,and 2 days of food plus dog food.
Sounds like we will be light footin on this journey.

hairbear
04-25-2013, 07:12
That is very light. I am not sure I will ever make that light. I was excited to drop a a pound or so switching to a nice top quilt form enlightened equipment. Saved a bunch of weight there.

What is your opinion on the enlightened equipment quality level?
Haven't got a chance to see their gear yet.

Spiffyguy
04-25-2013, 08:12
What is your opinion on the enlightened equipment quality level?
Haven't got a chance to see their gear yet.

I think the quality of the gear is pretty decent. It is my first down item. 20* with an extra ounce of down. Came out right at about 25 oz. Seems very warm so far. I have only used it a few times. If I get a down underquilt I will probably go back to EE.

hairbear
04-25-2013, 08:15
I think the quality of the gear is pretty decent. It is my first down item. 20* with an extra ounce of down. Came out right at about 25 oz. Seems very warm so far. I have only used it a few times. If I get a down underquilt I will probably go back to EE.

Sounds sweet.

Spiffyguy
04-25-2013, 08:22
I am pretty happy with it so far. Only used it once. I will have it along so you can check it out. Certainly beats my IX underquilt. You can rig the top quilts as underquilts per the EE guys. That is one reason I got it. I hung it in the basement as an underquilt for 2 weeks. Slept nice and warm.

Gideon
04-25-2013, 13:19
I'd sure be happy to have them along.

Well guy's it's official, this will be my last Missouri Hang; I've accepted a new job offer and tendered my resignation. Makes me sick to think of not hanging with you after this trip but I'm going to just focus on the fact that I at least have this trip!

My target base weight for this trip (including trekking poles) is 6.86lbs.

Gideon

hairbear
04-25-2013, 13:27

Well guy's it's official, this will be my last Missouri Hang; I've accepted a new job offer and tendered my resignation. Makes me sick to think of not hanging with you after this trip but I'm going to just focus on the fact that I at least have this trip!

Gideon

Wow your new trail name shall be feather carrier:lol:

Disco
04-25-2013, 13:29
Wow! You must be leaving the toothbrush and extra underwear at home! :laugh:

Spider
04-25-2013, 15:56

Gideon

It has sure been a pleasure having met you and your son. We will miss hanging with you guys on the trail. Don't stop posting those pics and trip reports.
We will meet on the trail again someday.
Spider

Gideon
04-25-2013, 17:39
Underwear? You guys pack underwear? Hmmm.

Well make it 7lbs even :)

Spider I'll miss you and your dear lady too! I'll stay in touch on the forum although sitting round a camp fire together is special.

I'm with Skygzr; I'm packing my quilts based on 40+ so if it's colder....well I just freeze!

Gideon

rngn
04-25-2013, 17:44

Gideon

I think you caught that new UL bug going around. (GRAM WEENIE)

Spiffyguy
04-25-2013, 18:53
Seems like a lot of lightweights lol. Putting me to shame. Might have to pick some brains on what to lighten up. My wife was laughing at me for measuring out all my stuff. She loves the term "Gram Weenie".

Skygzr
04-26-2013, 08:18
hmmm... where can I cut some more weight...? the challenge is on. who will be bringing the portable scale with them to the trail head... :cool:

digitizer101
04-26-2013, 08:47
This is going to be awesome, everyone is lightening their packs to see who can get the lowest weight and no one will bring a fire starting kit on the one trip that PYRO can't make.

We are going to be doomed if it drops to freezing temps :eek:

Skygzr
04-26-2013, 08:56
This is going to be awesome, everyone is lightening their packs to see who can get the lowest weight and no one will bring a fire starting kit on the one trip that PYRO can't make.

Never fear- there is light weight and there is "stupid light"
I always carry the ability to make fire
Going light is about what you can really do without relying on your brain more than gear- but making fire is always a nessessary ability

RamenShamen
04-26-2013, 09:02

I am trying to figure out the logistics involved in making it to this one.

I have something going on Thursday night, and I don't really think it would be a good plan to leave KC at zero-dark-thirty Friday morning and then do 11 miles.

I am thinking that I may head down Friday morning, and hang Friday night somewhere near the Sat. meetup location.

I'd be willing to do the first section of trail on the back-end with you Skygzr.

I hope to have my pack down to ~ 2 lbs., but of course I will be sleeping in bubblewrap and eating packing peanuts...but hey, I'll just float across any water crossings :lol:

Disco
04-26-2013, 09:12
Ramen, depending on what time you get there Friday morning, you wont be far behind us. We probably wont leave the HWY A trailhead until 9 or so. You could go to the HWY A trailhead and just catch up to us, or you could try the Goggins Mountain trailhead and hike over the Goggins Mountain Loop to the OT and then south the 2 miles to where we are camping the first night, by Walker Branch.

Right now, the lows are predicted to be 40-45. That's a little cooler than I was hoping for. I might have to go with a little extra down and increase my pack weight a bit.

RamenShamen
04-26-2013, 09:24
Catch up with you? Maybe, if someone puts hobbles on Hairbear.

I probably wouldn't make it down until a quarter past noon-ish , and I am completely unfamiliar with the area.

What's the total approx. distance from the Goggins Mountain TH to the Walker branch area?

Spiffyguy
04-26-2013, 09:41
I am hoping to make Taum Sauk by 8 on Friday. I plan the zero dark thirty route. Probably leave STL about 530. Will be a long day but it builds character right? I am debating on adding in my puffy jacket or not. Figure the low temps will be when I am all snuggled up in my quilt. At least that is my thinking but my IX underquilt leaves a little to be desired. Might just have to add weight!!!!

RamenShamen
04-26-2013, 09:41
Let's see if I understand this.

From Groggins Mnt TH I'd go SW to the Groggins Connector, and then south a couple of miles?

Disco
04-26-2013, 10:15
Let's see if I understand this.

From Groggins Mnt TH I'd go SW to the Groggins Connector, and then south a couple of miles?

Correct. I attached the map. Take the south part of the loop, (from the Goggins Mt TH, you'll stay left), then left at the OT. It looks to be 4 - 5 miles from the TH to where we are camping, right by Walker Branch.

Your other option is to go to JSI and hike back to Walker Branch, getting to the OT via the JSI Trailhead. It looks like about the same miles.

I've not parked at either of these locations, so you will want to check into the overnight parking situation there.

RamenShamen
04-26-2013, 12:45
It looks to be about the same distance give or take.

I guess the deciding factor would be getting back to the vehicle.

Either way, count me in!

momedic
04-26-2013, 13:59
So I'm trying to plan out our food for the trip, & I have a tendacy to overpack. How do you all do lunch? Do you all plan on stopping for lunch and whip up some ramen noodle, or eat a energy bar while humping it down the trail? Breakfast and dinner is easier but I just wanna keep with the group atmosphere.

Disco
04-26-2013, 14:20
We will definitely stop for lunch. I like to find a glade with a nice view and take at least 30 min or so to eat and reenergize.

Disco
04-26-2013, 14:21
Either way, count me in!

Cool! It'll be good to have you along.

momedic
04-26-2013, 18:32
So we got the new quilts from Wilderness Logics. Man talk about bulk and weight savings. I weighed my old sleeping and it was close to 8# & the new TQ less than 2#.

rngn
04-26-2013, 20:31
hmmm... where can I cut some more weight...? the challenge is on. who will be bringing the portable scale with them to the trail head... :cool:

Ive got a portable scale and will be bringing it with me. It goes up to 75 pounds so digitizer you should be fine to weigh your stuff.jk jk

hairbear
04-26-2013, 21:27
Cool! It'll be good to have you along.

plus 1.. look forward to seeing you again.
Anyone know the expected daytime highs?

rngn
04-26-2013, 21:36
plus 1.. look forward to seeing you again.
Anyone know the expected daytime highs?

looks like there calling for mid sixties for fri,sat,sun

hairbear
04-26-2013, 21:46
looks like there calling for mid sixties for fri,sat,sun

Shorts weather,I like the sounds of that.
Where in the heck is spring anyway?

Campalot
04-27-2013, 07:56
You guys are a bunch of sissies lol ! Remember we just spent our coldest night ever on our last group hang. Really disappointed not to be going but will be in Nashville looking for a place for my wife to stay when she starts work on May 20th. Hope you all have good weather and a great trip and will be looking forward to a trip report and photos.

hairbear
04-27-2013, 10:08
You guys are a bunch of sissies lol ! Remember we just spent our coldest night ever on our last group hang. Really disappointed not to be going but will be in Nashville looking for a place for my wife to stay when she starts work on May 20th. Hope you all have good weather and a great trip and will be looking forward to a trip report and photos.

We will miss you m.

Disco
04-27-2013, 13:11
Here's the local forecast as of right now. Let's hope this changes (I'm sure it will), but you better have your rain gear lined out just in case.

Fri May 3
H 57°
L 37°
Showers
CHANCE OF RAIN: 40%
WIND: NW at 12 mph

Sat May 4
H 60°
L 42°
Showers
WIND: WSW at 10 mph

Sun May 5
H 66°
L 45°
Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%
WIND: S at 9 mph

Spiffyguy
04-27-2013, 13:25
Here's the local forecast as of right now. Let's hope this changes (I'm sure it will), but you better have your rain gear lined out just in case.

Fri May 3
H 57°
L 37°
Showers

Sat May 4
H 60°
L 42°
Showers

Sun May 5
H 66°
L 45°
Cloudy

I checked yesterday and it was 10%. Day before it was 30%. Hope the temps sta good and the % goes down.

hairbear
04-27-2013, 15:17

Fri May 3
H 57°
L 37°
Showers

Sat May 4
H 60°
L 42°
Showers
WIND: WSW at 10 m

Sun May 5
H 66°
L 45°
Cloudy

We sure have been lucky with the weather so far.

hairbear
04-28-2013, 15:42
Well guys I dont know if im going to make this one,Im getting injections for bulging disc problems.
The disapointment of not making this one is eating me up,but its better to get this monster taken care of before it becomes a critical issue.
Im hoping it will change before the hike ,but its not looking good right now.
My thoughts will be with you anyway.:(

Disco
04-28-2013, 19:03
I hope you get to make it, but you gotta take care of that kinda stuff first and foremost. Good luck with it!

Spiffyguy
04-28-2013, 19:16
Bummer if you can't make it. Was looking forward to meeting you. Hope your back gets better.

Gideon
04-29-2013, 05:55
Sorry to hear you're hurting Hairbear. You gotta do what you gotta do; you know how much i'll miss seeing you on this one my friend. If we don't hike together on this one, then we'll simply have to hike together on another one; even if I have to drive 8 hrs. Hope you feel better and do what's best for your back.
Gideon

Skygzr
04-29-2013, 06:23
Well guys I dont know if im going to make this one,Im getting injections for bulging disc problems.
The disapointment of not making this one is eating me up,but its better to get this monster taken care of before it becomes a critical issue.
Im hoping it will change before the hike ,but its not looking good right now.
My thoughts will be with you anyway.:(

OH MAN! this will be a tragedy, but I hope you feel better soon :(

Skygzr
04-29-2013, 07:40

Fri May 3
H 57°
L 37°
Showers

Sat May 4
H 60°
L 42°
Showers