PDA

View Full Version : setup

gothmog
03-07-2013, 14:23
Thought this might get more exposure here, but may be more appropriate in SRL. Anyway, spent my first full night in the hammock last night. Well, what bit I was able to sleep between runs at work. My TDS fits well in the room we take nightwatch. Anyway, took me a while to get settled and figure out a position, but when I did I was OUT. Question is, when using the stands, or straps around a tree, what is the appropriate method for tightening my whoopie ridgeline? When I hung it at all the lengths/measurements suggested in the hang calculator( Thanks for that, BTW?), my whoopies hang at the correct angle, but my ridgeline is loose. I have a lot of room to tighten it when I'm in the hammock, which is not easy. Should I set my whoopies to the suggested length, then just tighten the ridgeline before I climb in, or what? With no tension pulling on the whoopies I'm at a loss how to set the ridgeline so that it will be taut when I'm in it. Thanks, and sorry for being long winded again.

Brute1100
03-07-2013, 14:41
turtle dog stands and hammocks work well together but they make for some strange inconsistencies in my system YMMV... but for me the ridgeline should always be the same length, when hanging in my turtle dog i always just try to get the right tension on the ridgeline and then adjust the sit height a little and don't worry too much about minimum maximum on the whoopies... the ridgeline is what dictates comfort and comfort is king... even if it means i am a few inches higher/lower off the ground than is ideal... but like i said YMMV... first nights out are always nights full of questions, play with it a few more nights and you will be able to answer your own question i promise...

gothmog
03-07-2013, 15:14
So should I put some load in the hammock, then set ridgeline semitaught with whoopies at 30*, pulling whoopies and RL taut? RL seems to slacken when I get in. Thx BTW.

MAD777
03-07-2013, 15:23
I always through my backpack into the hammock before making the adjustments. Then when I think it's right, I press mu hand in the bottom of the hammock to stretch everything out. Then make the final tweak.

gothmog
03-07-2013, 15:27
Thx. Watched a vid on whoopie sling, his look fairly tight. Should I set it so the slings are tght and pulling the RL tight as well?

Brute1100
03-07-2013, 15:36
I set my ridgeline with math... 83% of the total hammock length... I don't mess with it any more except for comfort reasons... But for the most part an inch or two within 83% is usually sufficient... I throw my whoopie loops over the ends, milk the bury to tighten it up... Sit in it to see how it hangs... And adjust from there... The ridgeline will set the 30* hammock angle so I don't worry about that... A little extra strain on the amsteel isn't going to be a big deal...

hawghangar
03-07-2013, 15:44
I'm still new to the hanging world (so consider the source), but the abundant information available on the HF can make the first few setups overly complicated. I was in the backyard with a measuring tape, bubble levels, etc., worrying about distances and hang angles - and quite frankly, over analyzing the whole setup.

Now, I just attach the tree huggers at about eye level, center the hammock between trees, and adjust suspension until the fixed RL is relatively taut. The hang angle - and all other measurements - seem to take care of themselves. Keep it Simple!

gothmog
03-07-2013, 16:04
I'm still new to the hanging world (so consider the source), but the abundant information available on the HF can make the first few setups overly complicated. I was in the backyard with a measuring tape, bubble levels, etc., worrying about distances and hang angles - and quite frankly, over analyzing the whole setup.

Now, I just attach the tree huggers at about eye level, center the hammock between trees, and adjust suspension until the fixed RL is relatively taut. The hang angle - and all other measurements - seem to take care of themselves. Keep it Simple!

Thats funny, I did the exact same. Even downloaded a protractor app on my phone for easy angle ID. I started with the 83% as well, but it was very loose, think I maybe needed to tighten whoopies. you add weight to hammock as well to try to set whoopie length with that 83% RL? Or just pull them relatively tight?

hawghangar
03-07-2013, 16:19
Thats funny, I did the exact same. Even downloaded a protractor app on my phone for easy angle ID. I started with the 83% as well, but it was very loose, think I maybe needed to tighten whoopies. you add weight to hammock as well to try to set whoopie length with that 83% RL? Or just pull them relatively tight?

My RL is fixed not adjustable (or at least not easily adjustable). Once you get it to the right length, you shouldn't have to keep adjusting it every setup. It becomes the "limiter" to keep your hang angle and tension within reasonable tolerance. Most suggest the 83% length as a benchmark.

At one point, I had my tree huggers so high on the tree (following the Hang Calculator) that it was collapsing my RL - that's when I realized I was making things too hard and just eyeballed the setup around RL tension and height above the ground. IMO, this doesn't really require the precision that you might infer from reading too much technical setup criteria - but the info can certainly help you troubleshoot a problem if it doesn't seem right.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum that can help you... keep asking questions. HYOH.

MAD777
03-07-2013, 16:22
There are a lot of smart people on this forum that can help you... keep asking questions. HYOH.

Translation: HAMMOCK NERDS! :lol: :lol:

gmcttr
03-07-2013, 16:42
Gothmog...I think you're missing the point of a SRL (structural ridge line). The SRL is used to maintain a comfortable setup every time. The hammock is setup to fit the SRL rather than adjusting the SRL every time to fit the setup.

1. Set your hammock up and experiment to find the hang angle of the suspension that gives you the most comfortable lay.

2. Set the SRL to be snug but not overly tight (get in and out if need be to adjust it).

3. Don't re-adjust the SRL every time you set up. You adjust the suspension to get the SRL snug. In this scenario, the SRL is just an indicator of correct setup.

In a case where the trees are somewhat too far apart for an ideal setup (causing the suspension angles to be flatter than ideal), the SRL will be very taut, but will still provide the correct angles in the hammock itself for maximum comfort.

gothmog
03-07-2013, 16:50
Thats my understanding, and problem. With lengths by the calc on the td stand it was way loose. I set it without any weight in hammock, and was questioning how tight to set whoopies before I get in to get it tight, but not loose my 30*.

OldRagFreeze
03-07-2013, 16:52
Gothmog...I think you're missing the point of a SRL (structural ridge line). The SRL is used to maintain a comfortable setup every time. The hammock is setup to fit the SRL rather than adjusting the SRL every time to fit the setup.

1. Set your hammock up and experiment to find the hang angle of the suspension that gives you the most comfortable lay.

2. Set the SRL to be snug but not overly tight (get in and out if need be to adjust it).

3. Don't re-adjust the SRL every time you set up. You adjust the suspension to get the SRL snug. In this scenario, the SRL is just an indicator of correct setup.

In a case where the trees are somewhat too far apart for an ideal setup (causing the suspension angles to be flatter than ideal), the SRL will be very taut, but will still provide the correct angles in the hammock itself for maximum comfort.

Good explanation. Many would have you believe that a SRL will correct a poor hang... But I agree with you; it is a guideline to ensure you get a proper hang, not a way around it.

MAD777
03-07-2013, 19:10
Many would have you believe that a SRL will correct a poor hang... But I agree with you; it is a guideline to ensure you get a proper hang, not a way around it.

+1 on this!!!

gothmog
03-07-2013, 19:40
OK, new question, possible solution to my issue. Is the 83% calculated from the OAL of the hammock fabric, or, from where the whoopies attach? 8-12" difference on mine.

MAD777
03-07-2013, 19:51
Measure from attachment point to attachment point.

gmcttr
03-07-2013, 21:27
....and was questioning how tight to set whoopies before I get in to get it tight, but not loose my 30*.

That's sort of an "experience" kind of thing and the 30* is a good starting point, not a must have angle so don't get too "hung up" on it. Your comfort gets veto power over all else.

Find a comfortable setup and match the SRL to it and than leave the SRL alone. After that, it just takes a bit of trail and error to get the suspension right each time. The more you do it, the better you get.

I'm guessing it's normal for most of us to get in and out of the hammock a time or two before we get the suspension "just right" for the SRL.

OK, new question, possible solution to my issue. Is the 83% calculated from the OAL of the hammock fabric, or, from where the whoopies attach? 8-12" difference on mine.

From attachment point to attachment point of where ever you attach the SRL (which may or may not be the same as where the whoopies attach).

gothmog
03-08-2013, 08:58
Thanks for all the info everybody! I'll play around with it.