PDA

View Full Version : So I am attempting to be one of the "cool kids" ;)

RockStar
03-06-2007, 22:20
Haha so after hearing over and over for 2 or so years now that "hammocks are so much better on your back"...I decided to give it a try. I bought my first Hammock today and it should be here Monday. *sighhh I have to dress it up with all the fixins and I am still not sure if I am gonna ditch the tent set up as my tent is only 2.8oz BUT I am gonna give it a try and most surely use it for summer weather! Wish me luck.

Oh BTW I bought an Eagles Nest.:o

FanaticFringer
03-06-2007, 23:14
Your now officially cool. Welcome to the site. That's one light tent you got there.
What band do you play in?

RockStar
03-06-2007, 23:26
Thanks! It is a Kelty Stick 1. The Vestibule has a max height of 42" I believe. I had a Kelty Crestone 1 and loves it but, the foot area was a little cramped to get my gear from and the vestibule felt like it was a force field to the outside world. That thing was such a pain to get in and out of b/c of the vestibule, especially at 20 degrees and below when I had to pee several times. Other than that I loved the Crestone. The stakes for this one are better as well. This thing feels like twice the size for only about 2-4 oz more. However, I have back problems and the cold doesn't help.

So Im gonna try this hammock thing out and try to get it light and toasty enough to sustain my high standards for sleeping well! :D

blackbishop351
03-07-2007, 00:09
Thanks! It is a Kelty Stick 1. The Vestibule has a max height of 42" I believe. I had a Kelty Crestone 1 and loves it but, the foot area was a little cramped to get my gear from and the vestibule felt like it was a force field to the outside world. That thing was such a pain to get in and out of b/c of the vestibule, especially at 20 degrees and below when I had to pee several times. Other than that I loved the Crestone. The stakes for this one are better as well. This thing feels like twice the size for only about 2-4 oz more. However, I have back problems and the cold doesn't help.

So Im gonna try this hammock thing out and try to get it light and toasty enough to sustain my high standards for sleeping well! :D

I'm guessing you meant "28oz." and not "2.8oz."? I don't think anybody makes a tent that light...not even a bivy...and especially not Kelty! They make nice gear, but it's not exactly the pinnacle of UL! :p

seuss
03-07-2007, 00:24
I'm guessing you meant "28oz." and not "2.8oz."? I don't think anybody makes a tent that light...not even a bivy...and especially not Kelty! They make nice gear, but it's not exactly the pinnacle of UL! :p

Kelty Stick 1: 2lbs, 8oz. "minimum weight"

Coffee
03-07-2007, 03:09
Good luck.

Get you hammock and try it out. After about 1 minute you will be convinced. It took me about that long to get over the thought that I was going to crash to the ground.

After that, then the fun begins. Testing and adding new gear. The best part is when you start to look around for cool places to hang without realizing it. Those 2 trees, that pole and the tree, and my personal favorite or anyplace over water.

RockStar
03-07-2007, 06:52
I didn't realize I put oz instead of lbs. Sorry! :p yeah 2.8lbs.

blackbishop351
03-07-2007, 07:12
I didn't realize I put oz instead of lbs. Sorry! :p yeah 2.8lbs.

Thought maybe :p By the way, if that's your tent alone, you can get a hammock setup WAY lighter than that without much effort at all!

Welcome to the Forums and to hanging!

neo
03-07-2007, 08:33
Haha so after hearing over and over for 2 or so years now that "hammocks are so much better on your back"...I decided to give it a try. I bought my first Hammock today and it should be here Monday. *sighhh I have to dress it up with all the fixins and I am still not sure if I am gonna ditch the tent set up as my tent is only 2.8oz BUT I am gonna give it a try and most surely use it for summer weather! Wish me luck.

Oh BTW I bought an Eagles Nest.:o

:) awesome rockstar,welcome to the hanging community,and good luck on your thru hike this year:cool: neo

chazmo
03-07-2007, 08:48
You won't regret it! :D

RockStar
03-07-2007, 14:55
Thanks Neo!! Thanks Chazmo!

neo
03-07-2007, 15:34
Thanks Neo!! Thanks Chazmo!

:D remember that old saying "rock and roll is here to stay"
so is the hammock:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-07-2007, 19:48
Glad you decided to join us. Don't forget how much trial and error you had learning to tent camp comfortably (well, almost comfortably...you'll see what I mean AH - after hammock). Hammocks have a learning curve of their own...so if you have a problem getting comfortable or staying warm, come back here and explain your problem. Someone here has probably experienced it and solved it, or can at least offer suggestions. There's no reason to be uncomfortable, wet or cold.

But in the end, hammocks aren't for everybody. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure someone will take the hammock off your hands.

But most of all - welcome to the club!

btourer
03-07-2007, 20:33
And to add to Just Jeff's comments: If your going from a tent to a hammock you'll probably be using a pad and a sleeping bag set up at first. There are numerous threads on here about getting in them and on them in a hammock. I highly recommend finding them and reading them. I nearly wiggled myself to death when I first got into hanging.

And again, welcome to the club

Certain
03-07-2007, 23:24
Hey Rockstar!!! Glad to see ya over in the hangin' crowd! From one pretty new hanger to a total newbie....you've just gotta try to make it to one of Ed Speer's hangout weekends or similar gathering. Neo is having one in TN coming up really soon. I went to one of these and hung my hammock the first time w/all the experts around to help me. My first night, I slept through breakfast and was hanging about 10 feet from the shores of the French River.

The next hangout by Ed is in Hot Springs, NC, April 13-14. I'm guestimating I'll have reached that neck of the woods by this weekend, so I'm hoping to be there. Seriously, learning this is worth it!

Bird Dog
03-08-2007, 08:10
Hey Rockstar!!! Glad to see ya over in the hangin' crowd! From one pretty new hanger to a total newbie....you've just gotta try to make it to one of Ed Speer's hangout weekends or similar gathering. Neo is having one in TN coming up really soon. I went to one of these and hung my hammock the first time w/all the experts around to help me. My first night, I slept through breakfast and was hanging about 10 feet from the shores of the French River.

The next hangout by Ed is in Hot Springs, NC, April 13-14. I'm guestimating I'll have reached that neck of the woods by this weekend, so I'm hoping to be there. Seriously, learning this is worth it!

I see your Ed Speers Hangout and raise you a Hammock Forums Winter Hangout! :D One of the most informative weekends Ive ever spent in the woods. Good point Michelle. BD

Certain
03-08-2007, 12:21
I see your Ed Speers Hangout and raise you a Hammock Forums Winter Hangout! :D One of the most informative weekends Ive ever spent in the woods. Good point Michelle. BD

I am still in denial that the Winter Hangout ever happened, because I couldn't go....so um....I don't know what you're talking about! :D :D :confused:

Bird Dog
03-08-2007, 14:04
I am still in denial that the Winter Hangout ever happened, because I couldn't go....so um....I don't know what you're talking about! :D :D :confused:

Yeah but you will be doin the AT soon (like 2 days if Im correct) and I'll be stuck in the real world. You need not be envious. BD

blackbishop351
03-08-2007, 14:10

Yeah but you will be doin the AT soon (like 2 days if Im correct) and I'll be stuck in the real world. You need not be envious. BD

Exactly...you guys doing thrus have NO room to complain about ANYTHING!! :o

Bird Dog
03-08-2007, 14:19

hey, were doing a thru of the Uwharrie trail...Are you saying that doesnt count? :D BD

blackbishop351
03-08-2007, 14:25
hey, were doing a thru of the Uwharrie trail...Are you saying that doesnt count? :D BD

There's two glaring differences between a 21-mile 2-day thru and a 2000+ mile, 5-month thru: One, the short one isn't nearly as cool. Two, the Boss will actually let me DO that one! :p

Certain
03-08-2007, 17:05

No complaining here...nope...not me! :p

Coffee
03-08-2007, 23:54

Yeah I'm trying to come up with something good, but I got nothing.

I could complain about all the stuff I need to get done in the next few weeks, but after that it is smooth sailing.

Bird Dog
03-09-2007, 00:51
Yeah I'm trying to come up with something good, but I got nothing.

I could complain about all the stuff I need to get done in the next few weeks, but after that it is smooth sailing.

Okay, now your just rubbing it in! :p BD

Certain
03-09-2007, 00:56
No....reminding everyone that I'm driving to Georgia on Saturday is rubbing it in! LOL!!!!

blackbishop351
03-09-2007, 00:59
No....reminding everyone that I'm driving to Georgia on Saturday is rubbing it in! LOL!!!!

I'd try and tell you how much you SUCK but I don't have the words... :rolleyes:

Certain
03-09-2007, 01:01
I'd try and tell you how much you SUCK but I don't have the words... :rolleyes:

I think my imaginati0n can manage to "fill in the blanks" :D

Bird Dog
03-09-2007, 01:03
Well, your definately one of the "cool kids" (name of this thread). Im excited for you and will be keeping up in your journal. I will be thru-hiking the Foothills Trail the week of April 8th. Its my "AT" till I retire. BD

Certain
03-09-2007, 01:17
Well, your definately one of the "cool kids" (name of this thread). Im excited for you and will be keeping up in your journal. I will be thru-hiking the Foothills Trail the week of April 8th. Its my "AT" till I retire. BD

And once you retire, and you are telling us all that you've got 3 days till you set foot on Springer, then I'll be sitting here jealous I'm sure! ;)

Bird Dog
03-09-2007, 01:21
And once you retire, and you are telling us all that you've got 3 days till you set foot on Springer, then I'll be sitting here jealous I'm sure! ;)

Yup...By then, youll probably have done the AT, PCT, CDT, etc., etc., etc. Then I'll still be catching up. BD

Coffee
03-09-2007, 01:35
I'll leave those trails for you.

I think my next trip will be something different than hiking. Not that I don't like hiking, there are just other adventures out there for me.

Don't worry, the hammock will still be there.

blackbishop351
03-09-2007, 01:36
I'll leave those trails for you.

I think my next trip will be something different than hiking. Not that I don't like hiking, there are just other adventures out there for me.

Don't worry, the hammock will still be there.

Uh huh...traitor!! :p

Coffee
03-09-2007, 10:28
Uh huh...traitor!! :p

But I am taking the hammock along.:eek:

blackie
03-09-2007, 21:47
welcome to the site..always glad to see another alabama hanger..

RockStar
03-09-2007, 22:26
Thanks everyone! I have been busy reading everything for 3 days now. All the links, sometimes twice. Considering options. Deciding what is important for me. You guys really do help ppl like me have a fighting chance at a Thru! I know I can speak for us all in saying THANKS. ME, I use to trip on a rock, and then wait for the next guy so I can laugh to make myself feel better. Not anymore. It wasn't an overnight change as of this week but, for sure inspired by how much the hiking community feels like a family, though I have only met a hand full of you. So if one of us falls, everyone laughs a little but, tries to help you up and researches possibly outlets to prevent falling the same way. :)

Having said all that...I think I have finally found a starting place for my "winter" hammocking delimma. I can't sleep when I am HOT. So I was told I am a Hot sleeper. WRONG! Yeah sure I am a hot sleeper when it is HOT, my 20 degree synth. bag did NOT cut it in 20 degree weather. So I was a bit reluctant to consider a hammock, just looking at the underquilt. So I did a little research and think im gonna try to do the "Taco" method." FIRST. Weight is my MAIN concern. I will remain a tent dweller rather than carry around 4 extra pounds of crap. I calculated(roughly) and by what I have so far, I will have around a 6 lb set up, thats including my Sl. bag, for winter hammocking. My tent was about the same.

My hammock still hasn't come in so this is all just an idea. Thanks for all your help though guys and gals!

Coffee
03-10-2007, 00:27
Just wait until you break out a sewing machine. ;)

Just Jeff
03-10-2007, 07:47
....my 20 degree synth. bag did NOT cut it in 20 degree weather....

Lots of things affect the temp rating of a bag. First...they type of bag. Not all 20F bags are equal. Then a whole slew of other issues - hydration level, hunger/blood sugar level (how recent was the last meal and what was it), what kind of pad you had, were you damp, was it windy, humid, etc?

So if that was your only only 20F night in that bag, it may have been a combination of issues rather than just being a cold sleeper.

Unless it was a Snugpac...then it was probably just the bag. :D

RockStar
03-10-2007, 11:50
Its a marmot, i am unsure the exact model, but my feet stayed freezing every night. There were a couple nights in the teens. And a LOT of nights in the 20's. My upperbody if fine its my legs and feet. My toes felt like icecubes. I am thinking of going with a 20 degree down bag for the hammock, at least save on weight. Any suggestions? I have been hearing the "all bags are not created equal" thing lately.

Coffee
03-10-2007, 12:32
I added vapor barrier socks to heat my heat up. That works pretty good. Sometimes I also put my ccp sit pad underneath my feet. I find that my feet compress the insulation in the footbox in my sleeping bag, and sometimes are not fully covered my the underquilt. This makes for cold feet for me.

I think I could add down booties or put my feet into the arms of my jacket if needed.

RockStar
03-10-2007, 13:23
I forgot about down booties!

Just Jeff
03-10-2007, 13:48
Marmots are pretty good quality. If you're wearing socks and your feet get cold, take them off. If you're not wearing socks and your feet get cold, put some on. If you're wearing more than one pair, they might be restricting the circulation so take some off.

But most of all make sure your head is warm. If you're not wearing a hat or the bag's hood, your body redistributes blood from your extremities to keep your head warm....so your head still feels warm and your feet start getting cold. Put on a hat and your feet warm up.

Sometimes people get cold feet in hammocks, too. If your feet are higher than your head, it can cause it. And the lock-knee that folks are talking about in the other thread. Also, depending on how I'm hanging, sometimes my toes stick up over the hammock body...and catch more wind than the rest of my body.

peanuts
03-10-2007, 14:39
i use down socks, lov em

blackbishop351
03-10-2007, 17:31
Its a marmot, i am unsure the exact model, but my feet stayed freezing every night. There were a couple nights in the teens. And a LOT of nights in the 20's. My upperbody if fine its my legs and feet. My toes felt like icecubes. I am thinking of going with a 20 degree down bag for the hammock, at least save on weight. Any suggestions? I have been hearing the "all bags are not created equal" thing lately.

A hot water bottle or a heat-pack works well for this problem too. I suffered from the cold feet problem for a while, but I think I've got it beat now, partly thanks to Pan and partly thanks to heat-packs.

Apparently, I was sliding toward the foot end of my hammock during the night without realizing it - Pan pointed out this issue on the Rogers trip. This compressed my top quilt, moved my feet off the underquilt, and pushed the whole bit up against my hammock sock. The combination kept my feet from warming up. Raising the foot end when I hang keeps me from sliding and eliminates this problem.

Then I ran into a new problem - middling to bad circulation in my feet. Because my feet are now elevated, I don't get as much warm blood flow down there. So when it's good and cold outside (20* or less) and my feet are cold before I go to bed, they don't warm up. Solution? Heat-packs. Extra weight, but more convenient than water bottles and I'm not using up valuable fuel. I open the heat pack, roll back my outer sock forming a pocket (on one foot) and insert. Both feet are toasty within 10 minutes or so.

Hope that helps!

blackie
03-10-2007, 17:40
i have always found that if my feet are cold i need more insulation on my head...rock star i didn't see where you were wearing anything on your head..try a micro fiber cap..ect it may help the cold feet problem..just a guess but it cant hurt to try..

RockStar
03-10-2007, 19:53
Actually I wear a balaclave and find that I usually sleep with my head and shoulders exposed b/c I get too hot. yet my toes are little icecubes. i thought about bringing a hand warmer and when i wake with icecube toes, tossing one in a sock down by my feet. I usually, when I know it will be around 20 or less, go to sleep wearing the balaclava and my fleece. yet like I said, I strip out of it b/c my upper body produces some major heat. I was so confused as to why the only parts on my body staying cold were my feet, especially toes. I lost sleep b/c I couldnt warm the toes. I am looking into some down booties, gonna try those and the hand warmers this winter. Hoping that will cure it.

blackie
03-10-2007, 22:27
I REMEBER A STUDY DONE BY THE MARINE CORE YEARS AGO..they were loosing too many toes to frostbite ..so they conducted tests to find out why..they found that our bodies become accustomed to wearing shoes clothes ect..and that makes the body not have to pump as much warm blood to the feet to keep them warm..sort of a false idea of warmth..there solution was to retrain the body..the marine was placed in a hot bath with the hands and feet out side in a ice water bath..for 10 min...then they reversed and put the marine in a ice bath with the hands and feet in hot water..repeat for 2 hrs...after this treatment the rate of frost bite dropped like a rock...now wheither it was because they were able to train the body to pump blood to those areas when cold..or perhaps the marines themselves were simply more aware and took great care to avoid the frost bite who is to say..but i know 2 marines who went thru this training before being posted to arctic duty and they can tell you first hand... sleeping i n the arctic was nothing compared to that 2 hour training session

blackie
03-10-2007, 22:29
P.S. rock star i live in enterprise..if you would like to meet sometime to talk shop let me know

RockStar
03-11-2007, 00:06
P.S. rock star i live in enterprise..if you would like to meet sometime to talk shop let me know

SWEET! :p Are there any trees left to hang from after that tornado?:confused: j/k Where do you like to hike around these parts? I am thinking of taking a trip with friends to the Florida trail or a FL state park to hike for a day in April/May. I have to go see the Physical Therapist within the next 2 weeks and Ill know better when I can start putting the pack on again. Im so excited! I saw your location said Lower Alabama but, i was busy reading all the info and going to all the links for it to register. :p

peanuts
03-11-2007, 10:42
hey rockstar and blackie, come over to georgia!!! and we can meet and hang!!!

stoikurt
03-11-2007, 12:42
SWEET! :p Are there any trees left to hang from after that tornado?:confused: j/k Where do you like to hike around these parts? I am thinking of taking a trip with friends to the Florida trail or a FL state park to hike for a day in April/May. I have to go see the Physical Therapist within the next 2 weeks and Ill know better when I can start putting the pack on again. Im so excited! I saw your location said Lower Alabama but, i was busy reading all the info and going to all the links for it to register. :p

There is a nice section of the Florida Trail along Econfina Creek in northern Bay County and SE Washington County about a hour south of you. Also Torreya State Park south of Chattahoochee, FL is very nice. I can help you with info and maps of both if you are interested.

RockStar
03-11-2007, 17:26
There is a nice section of the Florida Trail along Econfina Creek in northern Bay County and SE Washington County about a hour south of you. Also Torreya State Park south of Chattahoochee, FL is very nice. I can help you with info and maps of both if you are interested.

That would be great! I was looking into the Ecofina area but, everytime I try to get a map I am sent to a website wanting me to pay. I just wanted a glimpse of the area not a detailed topo or anything, geez. Something similar to state parks but, wit mileage. Any info would be great! Thanks!

blackie
04-13-2007, 23:04
i would love to link up with you and have a hang..just met rockstar today for the first time,,i see you are in the atlanta part of the woods..so we need to organize a hang with all the ala /ga/ fla folks...i got a place for it ..all we got to do is get everybody to come..