PDA

View Full Version : Hangs in NY

nyhiker50
03-08-2013, 20:23
Are there ever any hangs in NY at Harriman State Park in the spring and summer? I'm not seeing any and I'm starting to feel like a lone hanger (I know I have just seen one in the winter, but the weather is not cooperating right now).

stalker42
03-08-2013, 20:28
I would be interested.

perrito
03-08-2013, 21:58
Let me know too!
:D

Geektechnica
03-08-2013, 22:06
I'd be down for that, especially on the northern side of the park. I'm only about an hour from there.

gbs
03-09-2013, 06:31
I would be all in any time!

nyhiker50
03-09-2013, 19:49
Should I be the one t set it up?

jerzybears
03-09-2013, 21:07
Keep us informed!

nyhiker50
03-10-2013, 21:10
Okay, I'll probably set it up in a month or so. Let me warn everyone though, that I would arrive by public transportation since I do not have a car. Besides, who would want to return to a broken into car?:o

stalker42
03-10-2013, 21:14
well I am in NJ. You could take the train to NJ and i could pick you up if its a weekend i am off from work..

nyhiker50
03-10-2013, 21:35
I'm not really asking for a ride, but thanks. I may reconsider that though. I have been very independent over the years and there are 3 train stations, 4 bus stops, and a train stop in Manitou. The only time I need to worry is when getting to the interior of the park. I don't want to sound arrogant here, but a lot of my hangs started from these jump off points.

nyhiker50
03-11-2013, 15:01
Don't worry everyone, I will be setting the hang up. There are a few more items about this hang. I will come by public transportation. I'll also set a parking place to meet for the folks coming by car and a meeting spot. There are certain advantages to not having one:
1- with a car the hang must be in and back.
2- Have to shuttle cars otherwise.
3- As I've said, you might return to a vandalized car.
4- more freedom to roam the park at either end

Disadvantages:
1-Being held to the train and bus schedule
2-Running to catch the last train
3-Being on the subway late:scared:

Did I miss anything?

desmobob
03-11-2013, 17:56
Disadvantages:

Did I miss anything?

Hmmm...

4 - Being forced to sit next to someone whom you'd prefer not to be within a country mile of. :-)

I think being car-free is pretty cool, if you live where you can pull it off comfortably.

Take it easy,
desmobob

perrito
03-11-2013, 20:34
Any sites in mind?

nyhiker50
03-11-2013, 23:06
I'm thinking maybe Doodletown, but that may change. It won't be for a while and I'm still thinking about it.

@desmobob: After a few day people may think I'm homeless and it goes a long way to clearing the subway car.:D

nyhiker50
03-14-2013, 14:04
I'm beginning to realize that most hangers want lofty heights with a view. Doodletown may be a bit too low so I was thinking of something else. I have found one on my own that fits the criteria but I don't want to revel it at this time. I have been hanging there for years. Once there were three deer playing while I was eating dinner and they never gave me a second look.

JollyGreen
03-21-2013, 07:14
Bumping this thread, hopefully something will happen soon.

Suede
03-21-2013, 07:54
I would also be interested. I am going out the first weekend in April in Harriman with a backpacking group that will all be ground dwellers (AMC). That trip is full though or I would invite you.

nyhiker50
03-21-2013, 16:16
I didn't forger about this like most people would. I'm checking for a weekend in April that I would be available. Then I'll make the announcement.

Suede
03-22-2013, 08:15
West Mtn has a cool shelter/camping area with great views. It is best accessible from Anthony Wayne parking lot, or from 9w (considerably longer hike but less steep).

nyhiker50
03-22-2013, 10:03
It's a lot easier to go up the Timp-Torn trail. However I have a few problems with the shelters in Harriman. They are sometimes full of yahoos, they are garbage dumps at times, and you have to be careful where you step around them since there are no privy's (it seems no one ever mentions this):eek:. The mice have run across my face in years past. I know from experience. I am thinking of one, but we will move a bit away. As many of you know how to use the hammocks as a shelter we really only have to be in the general area. With the garbage there can be other problems. There are bears now roaming in the park. I hear they have a Jersey accent since they may have come over the mountains from there.

nothermark
03-22-2013, 10:30
Don't worry everyone, I will be setting the hang up. There are a few more items about this hang. I will come by public transportation. I'll also set a parking place to meet for the folks coming by car and a meeting spot. There are certain advantages to not having one:
1- with a car the hang must be in and back.
2- Have to shuttle cars otherwise.
3- As I've said, you might return to a vandalized car.
4- more freedom to roam the park at either end

Disadvantages:

Did I miss anything?

If one is coming from Upstate there are no or minimal public transportation options. ;-)

fishbait
03-22-2013, 10:38
I'm going to watch this thread closely, I'm getting camping withdrawal and Harimon has been on my list for awhile now.

nyhiker50
03-22-2013, 11:30
I think we all are.

Suede
03-22-2013, 12:00
It's a lot easier to go up the Timp-Torn trail. However I have a few problems with the shelters in Harriman. They are sometimes full of yahoos, they are garbage dumps at times, and you have to be careful where you step around them since there are no privy's (it seems no one ever mentions this):eek:. The mice have run across my face in years past. I know from experience. I am thinking of one, but we will move a bit away. As many of you know how to use the hammocks as a shelter we really only have to be in the general area. With the garbage there can be other problems. There are bears now roaming in the park. I hear they have a Jersey accent since they may have come over the mountains from there.

Haha!! Yes I wasn't suggesting sleeping in the shelter, or even necessarily being next to it but there are some nice views from that general area. I doubt we would run into any yahoos if it is early enough in the season.. I have usually gone up the Timp Torn myself from the Anthony Wayne parking lot. There are actually a few places to hang along that ridge walk.

G...Hawk
03-24-2013, 17:16
Anyone : among the many who are itching to get in the wood, on the trail and hang into the sunrise.

My AT hiking partner, Scout78 / Bob O is ready to get back out on the trail after a number of months off.
( He is 78 and has years of experience. )

We are going to do a small 3mile patch of the AT near Clarence Fahnestock SP.
This will finish that section of NY AT; 3miles in - 3miles out the next day.

Anyone joining can start further out on the trail to make a longer hike for them.

This may appeal to anyone who just wants to get out into the winter woods and hang before spring greening.
We will also be hanging and AT hiking during the early greening days. So enjoyable being in the woods when each day has more green.

If others want to join us : we will adjust; we can hike during the week or the weekend.
If no one is joining us we may hike and hang next weekend - Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun March 30-31( Easter ).

G

Looking for capable hiking partners past their prime, who love the trail and high miles are not the goal.
Hike a good day. 8-10 miles a day first week; 12+ the 2nd; more the 3rd week.

Strong, not fast, but constant. 3rd day stronger; 4th much stronger than 1st.
Fairly fast on the uphills; slower on the down-uphill-rock-climbs.

G...Hawk
03-25-2013, 15:26
We are going to do a small 3mile patch of the AT near Clarence Fahnestock SP.
This will finish that section of NY AT; 3miles in - 3miles out the next day.

Anyone joining can start further out on the trail to make a longer hike for them.

This may appeal to anyone who just wants to get out into the winter woods and hang before spring greening.
We will also be AT hiking during the early greening days. So enjoyable being in the woods when each day has such change.

If others want to join us : we will adjust; we can hike and hang during the week or the weekend.
If no one is joining us we may hike and hang next weekend March 30-31( Easter ).

If you have a AT section you are planning in CT, MA or PA I am interested.

Everyone is invited to hang and join an AT section hike. April ? ? ?
Location ? ? ?
Another gap to fill : 27 miles of the AT between NJ rt94 and NY rt17.

CT NY stateline NOBO ( to ME ) or starting further north and hike SOBO.

PA from Palmerton south ( to GA ).

Open to suggestions !

G

Looking for capable hiking partners past their prime, who love the trail and high miles are not the goal.
Hike a good day. 8-10 miles a day first week; 12+ the 2nd; more the 3rd week.

Strong, not fast, but constant. 3rd day stronger; 4th much stronger than 1st.
Fairly fast on the uphills; slower on the down-uphill-rock-climbs.

berksound
03-25-2013, 19:20
G...Hawk,
I am definitely interested in that 3 in, 3 out hike this weekend. Just found out I have 3 day weekend this next one- Sat, Sun, Monday. Sending you a pm.

Beth

G...Hawk
03-25-2013, 20:45
G...Hawk,
I am definitely interested in that 3 in, 3 out hike this weekend. Just found out I have 3 day weekend this next one- Sat, Sun, Monday. Sending you a pm.

Beth

Good !

I will get in touch with Scout78 tomorrow and confirm his schedule.
He knows the area.
Apparently we will park at Fahnestock ( have to check it out ).

Figuring out the changeable weather and suitable gear selection should be fun.

G

JollyGreen
03-25-2013, 20:49
I would also be interested, but would have to show up on Saturday.

G...Hawk
03-25-2013, 21:05
I would also be interested, but would have to show up on Saturday.

Good !

I will post details after talking with Scout78 tomorrow.
And see if the Parks dept has a snow-ice-ground condition report.
With the current weather it should not be bad.

G

G...Hawk
03-26-2013, 15:26
Sat+Sun March 30-31

Here is the link to AT parking. We will use one of these areas.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=9%20&sectionID=60

We have choices.
All cars park in same location : hike in and back. Hike 3in+3out; or more 5in+5out. Somewhere in between.
Or : Go in one end out the other 11.5miles.

Sending PMs.

Called Fahnestock, we can not park in the park.

G

nyhiker50
03-26-2013, 19:24
I'm still working on this one, but the weather did not seem to be cooperating. After I do the one in Harriman, has anyone ever heard of Castle Rock? That would be a nice place to hang.

G...Hawk
03-26-2013, 22:20
AT parking : The NY sections.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=9

NY section 6
http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=9%20&sectionID=58

NY section7
http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=9%20&sectionID=59

NY section8
http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=9%20&sectionID=60

nyhiker50
03-30-2013, 10:10
A lot of you folks may be wondering why I have not set up the hang yet. I realize that many of you may be chomping at the bit to get out, but look what has happened. We got two snowstorms, high winds and a lot of rain. I was being patient because if you just run out you might get into trouble out there. Some of us may be equipped, but in a lot of cases some may not be. Anyway, I'll give you an old proverb that I usually go by "The patient goat will always win over the impatient ram".:mellow:

I'm working on a date in April and will be posting it soon.

Suede
04-02-2013, 07:31
A lot of you folks may be wondering why I have not set up the hang yet. I realize that many of you may be chomping at the bit to get out, but look what has happened. We got two snowstorms, high winds and a lot of rain. I was being patient because if you just run out you might get into trouble out there. Some of us may be equipped, but in a lot of cases some may not be. Anyway, I'll give you an old proverb that I usually go by "The patient goat will always win over the impatient ram".:mellow:

I'm working on a date in April and will be posting it soon.

There is another proverb... He who hesitates loses. :laugh:

I am heading out to Harriman this weekend for a 15 miler. We are pretty much traversing the park from west to east on the ramapo dunderberg trail. I think we will be camping near William Bryan shelter. Let me know if you want me to do any reconnaissance for you. Keep in mind that black fly start to wake up in early may and sometimes earlier. I have found it better to stay at altitude or in windier spots during those months cause the little buggers can be annoying.

I look forward to hearing about your plans for this trip!

G...Hawk
04-02-2013, 16:24
March30-31 JollyGreen and berksound joined Bob O and I for a rocky 3mile patch of NY Appalachian Trial.
This connected two long section hikes of the AT for us.

This may be Bob O's last hike on the AT.
Soon to be 79years old he is like the AT marker, the oldest in the picture below : Rusty but still hanging.
He will be looking for long ridge hikes that can be driven to and hang. Currently the ups can be difficult for him .

Berksound Beth and JollyGreen Jeff made it a particularly nice hike. JollyGreen even carried Bob's pack for some terrain.

Love the winter woods ! Ready to go back for the greening !

G

nyhiker50
04-05-2013, 17:10
You people must think I've been fooling around maybe? There has now been a RED FLAG warning in NY State. That means that the chance of forest and brush fires is very high. It would be a good idea for everyone to stay out of the woods for a while. Trust me, I almost got caught in one on a ridge once.

As for this: There is another proverb... He who hesitates loses.

Sometimes I've found that it was worth it. My hesitation had turned out to be an asset at times. I won't elaborate on that here. Maybe during the hang when I finally give the go ahead and the date.

nyhiker50
04-10-2013, 11:02
There have been many brush fires in the New York/New Jersey area as of the past few days due to the dry conditions. What does this have to do with hammocking? You could become a hanging barbeque! Once the conditions change I will be setting the date for the hang. As for those of you that would still go, you do so at your own risk. Do not make campfires, use a stove and above all, just eat cold foods. It may even be difficult to find water in some places, but I know haw to find it if I did need it badly enough in Harriman.

Suede
04-11-2013, 06:03
March30-31 JollyGreen and berksound joined Bob O and I for a rocky 3mile patch of NY Appalachian Trial.

Soon to be 79years old he is like the AT marker, the oldest in the picture below : Rusty but still hanging.
He will be looking for long ridge hikes that can be driven to and hang. Currently the ups can be difficult for him .

Berksound Beth and JollyGreen Jeff made it a particularly nice hike. JollyGreen even carried Bob's pack for some terrain.

G

Thanks for the pics! Looks like a good hike was had by all! God bless him at 79. I hope he can continue on into his 80's. There are a few like him out there, many I know from the Appalachian Mountain Club - some quite old and quite fit hikers (minus the knee issues) who take care of themselves and get out on a regular basis.

berksound
04-11-2013, 13:22

G

I had a great time on this sweet little overnighter. We hiked this little section out and back, doing almost 5 miles the first day, looking for hang sites on the way out. We ended up hanging at almost the first site we liked, below an old beaver dam in a little hemlock grove. Fell asleep to the sounds of the creek and falls below the dam.

Jolly Green, G Hawk, and BobO(Scout78) are all more experienced than I, and I learned things from each one of them, especially Bob. He had great stories from years of hiking and mentoring scouts, and gave me many quiet tips along the trail and in camp. A treasure of a hiker who I spent a mere 24 hours with, and will remember for the rest of my life.

G hawk tutored me on my hiking poles and watched me get more comfortable with them and now finally I can I say I view them as indispensible tools and not hindrances. My knees now really love them on downhills. More points of contact, yayy!:o

Jolly Green was our hero on the way out, hiking fast the last mile+ out in the am and coming back for BobOs 25 lbs of pack. He and Bob finished out together, male bonding while G Hawk and I chatted at the rear.

I felt good about my pack weight of 16 lbs with consumables (about 2 lbs of food and 72 oz. of water), and when I got home I shaved 8 oz. out of my ditty bag and bits based on what I had not been using the last 2 hikes. But then I ordered 2 hip belt pockets (.7oz each)from Gossamer and a set of tarp skins from WL (1.2 oz) to replace My shredded DIY scrubbie snakeskins.:blush:

Suede
04-11-2013, 14:11
I had a great time on this sweet little overnighter. We hiked this little section out and back, doing almost 5 miles the first day, looking for hang sites on the way out. We ended up hanging at almost the first site we liked, below an old beaver dam in a little hemlock grove. Fell asleep to the sounds of the creek and falls below the dam.

Jolly Green, G Hawk, and BobO(Scout78) are all more experienced than I, and I learned things from each one of them, especially Bob. He had great stories from years of hiking and mentoring scouts, and gave me many quiet tips along the trail and in camp. A treasure of a hiker who I spent a mere 24 hours with, and will remember for the rest of my life.

G hawk tutored me on my hiking poles and watched me get more comfortable with them and now finally I can I say I view them as indispensible tools and not hindrances. My knees now really love them on downhills. More points of contact, yayy!:o

Jolly Green was our hero on the way out, hiking fast the last mile+ out in the am and coming back for BobOs 25 lbs of pack. He and Bob finished out together, male bonding while G Hawk and I chatted at the rear.

I felt good about my pack weight of 16 lbs with consumables (about 2 lbs of food and 72 oz. of water), and when I got home I shaved 8 oz. out of my ditty bag and bits based on what I had not been using the last 2 hikes. But then I ordered 2 hip belt pockets (.7oz each)from Gossamer and a set of tarp skins from WL (1.2 oz) to replace My shredded DIY scrubbie snakeskins.:blush:

Sounds like an awesome trip! It's always cool hiking with people that work with scouts - always very knowledgeable, and I too like to learn something new on each trip.

16 lbs is amazing! My full pack is 25 with food fuel water and, er, booze. :laugh: My big 4 (hammock, quilts/pads, backpack) is 8.5 lbs with 9.75 lbs for clothing, cooking, water filter, bottles, emergency, etc. 7.5 lbs for food fuel and water (2 liters). Always trying to trim the load but not sacrifice comfort.

berksound
04-11-2013, 17:34
Sounds like an awesome trip! It's always cool hiking with people that work with scouts - always very knowledgeable, and I too like to learn something new on each trip.

16 lbs is amazing! My full pack is 25 with food fuel water and, er, booze. :laugh: My big 4 (hammock, quilts/pads, backpack) is 8.5 lbs with 9.75 lbs for clothing, cooking, water filter, bottles, emergency, etc. 7.5 lbs for food fuel and water (2 liters). Always trying to trim the load but not sacrifice comfort.

I think our big four(sleep, shelter, pack, and cook kit) is not too far off- I'm at 7 lbs. All the rest -bits, bottles, clothes packed but not worn, phone, etc.- puts me at 10 lbs or closer to 11 when I throw the down sweater in there. That leaves food fuel and water which means I might have been closer to 17 than I thought- but I did weigh before I left. Maybe you are counting the clothes you are wearing too- like skin out weight?

Suede
04-12-2013, 07:23
I think our big four(sleep, shelter, pack, and cook kit) is not too far off- I'm at 7 lbs. All the rest -bits, bottles, clothes packed but not worn, phone, etc.- puts me at 10 lbs or closer to 11 when I throw the down sweater in there. That leaves food fuel and water which means I might have been closer to 17 than I thought- but I did weigh before I left. Maybe you are counting the clothes you are wearing too- like skin out weight?

This is what I carried on my last weekender

Headlamp 3
First aid kit 4
Water purifier 14
Water bottle 4.6
Water canteen 3
Sit pad 3.3
Compass 2
Map 1
Ursack (3oz) + rope (3 oz) 6
Trowel, toilet paper 5
Towel 1.2
Rain jacket and pants (jacket 14.4 + pants ankle zip 8) 22.4
Camera (with belt case) 8.5+1.7 10.2
Phone 6
Clothes 32
Stuff sacks bags etc 3
Tooth brush / paste 2

I love my katadyn hiker pro but its a bit heavy and I'm considering going to the sawyer squeeze. I also have forgone the rain pants sometimes on an overnight but like them for anything more remote. Camera is a luxury and my iPhone can double as a camera but I guess this is another luxury I prefer to carry. I guess I am closer to 7 and change additional carry.

JollyGreen
04-12-2013, 07:39
This is what I carried on my last weekender

Headlamp 3
First aid kit 4
Water purifier 14
Water bottle 4.6
Water canteen 3
Sit pad 3.3
Compass 2
Map 1
Ursack (3oz) + rope (3 oz) 6
Trowel, toilet paper 5
Towel 1.2
Rain jacket and pants (jacket 14.4 + pants ankle zip 8) 22.4
Camera (with belt case) 8.5+1.7 10.2
Phone 6
Clothes 32
Stuff sacks bags etc 3
Tooth brush / paste 2

I love my katadyn hiker pro but its a bit heavy and I'm considering going to the sawyer squeeze. I also have forgone the rain pants sometimes on an overnight but like them for anything more remote. Camera is a luxury and my iPhone can double as a camera but I guess this is another luxury I prefer to carry. I guess I am closer to 7 and change additional carry.

No hammock, tarp or quilts listed?

berksound
04-12-2013, 09:27
Jolly green, we were comparing weights and our consumables are similar and our big four is similar so we started looking at " the rest".... bits and pieces.

Here is my breakdown of the rest:
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12793

Hope that works haven't tried it before! Add my down sweater another 9 oz.

Looks like our biggest difference is water system...I'm using aqua mira drops and lighter weight bottles. But I don't get to drink it right away :rolleyes:

Yeah Jolly Green was all tricked out with a modified Sawyer filter, very cool. He was around 18 lbs he said, but he was toting a woodstove as well.

I guess the only other thing is clothing, I wear everything except save a down jacket and fresh socks for camp- shoot I forgot camp shoes 11oz of crocs.

Suede
04-12-2013, 09:36
No hammock, tarp or quilts listed?

This is everything BUT hammock, tarp, backpack and quilts,

Suede
04-12-2013, 09:46
Jolly green, we were comparing weights and our consumables are similar and our big four is similar so we started looking at " the rest".... bits and pieces.

Here is my breakdown of the rest:
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12793

Hope that works haven't tried it before! Add my down sweater another 9 oz.

Looks like our biggest difference is water system...I'm using aqua mira drops and lighter weight bottles. But I don't get to drink it right away :rolleyes:

Yeah Jolly Green was all tricked out with a modified Sawyer filter, very cool. He was around 18 lbs he said, but he was toting a woodstove as well.

I guess the only other thing is clothing, I wear everything except save a down jacket and fresh socks for camp- shoot I forgot camp shoes 11oz of crocs.

I think I can comfortably drop a pound or two off of mine. geargrams.com is pretty cool site. Thanks for the look at your gear. I really like having a water filter and love the taste of the water from my Katadyn, as well as the dependability. I saw a Sawyer rig on HF that also had an in-line charcoal filter from Katadyn 2 oz, which is the way I will go. I think I will probably end up at about 6-7 oz, down from 14 oz on the water filtration system and go to the smart water bottles (which supposedly works well with the sawyer system) which will take a few more oz off..

berksound
04-12-2013, 10:03
No problem. I'm with you on the camera, BTW. I didn't take it on that last one and though it helped the oz, I missed it. I'll be carrying it in the future- at 6 oz, that means I'm right back at the 8 oz I cut counting the new skins and hip belt pockets! :(

Have fun on the trail-

Suede
04-12-2013, 10:48
No problem. I'm with you on the camera, BTW. I didn't take it on that last one and though it helped the oz, I missed it. I'll be carrying it in the future- at 6 oz, that means I'm right back at the 8 oz I cut counting the new skins and hip belt pockets! :(

Have fun on the trail-

Yea, you never know when there will be an interesting shot and the phone takes a bit too much time to get out, boot up, get to the app.. and a lot of hikers don't like to even to see them on the trail. I have kids and have to be accessible in an emergency but that's the only time I use it - except for the occasional "i'm ok" text when out longer.

Thanks! You too!

nyhiker50
04-12-2013, 16:31
"Looks like our biggest difference is water system...I'm using aqua mira drops and lighter weight bottles. But I don't get to drink it right away " Space4DaPoppa

Yep, that is a problem. You get to the water, you're hot and thirsty, and you can't touch it for twenty to thirty minutes. I usually use potable aqua and I also have a filter straw so I can get some right away instead of having to wait. Then I just take off while the rest of my water is purifying. :)

nyhiker50
04-14-2013, 15:26
I'm almost ready to start thinking about the hang in Harriman. Would anybody be open to the middle of the week or the weekend? Once I get the answers I will post the date on the official calender and here.

Suede
04-15-2013, 12:17
I am not available mid-week unless heading out for a more extended trip.

nyhiker50
04-18-2013, 13:40
Would anybody be interested in a hang on May 11-12? It will be in whatever weather happens that day. I'm still thinking about the location. The date is solid.

perrito
04-18-2013, 13:54
Would anybody be interested in a hang on May 11-12? It will be in whatever weather happens that day. I'm still thinking about the location. The date is solid.
Mother's Day???
That's a solid "Dog House" for me! :eek:

nyhiker50
04-18-2013, 15:09
OOPS! I used a calender with only dates and no holidays showing. I guess I can change that to May 18 - 19 then. Now I see what the problem was. My outlook was not updated with holidays and I just fixed that. Now I have everything straight. As I have said above the date has been changed to May 18-19. I'll have a little more time to think about the location. This will be in Harriman.:o

perrito
04-18-2013, 15:50
Well, since you put it that way...

I've been toying around with the idea of hiking the AT in NY from the NJ/NY border to the Bear Mtn. bridge over 4 days and 3 nights. I was hoping to do it from 5/17 to 5/20, possibly shifting it a day earlier or later depending on the weather forecast. Wildcat the first night, Island Pond or Fingerboard the second night, and West Mtn. Shelter the last night. Let me know if any of this fits in with your plans and we can hang out. :)

nyhiker50
04-18-2013, 16:19
Shelter is a four letter to me. The only time they're needed is in severe weather. Otherwise, I stay away from 'em and just pick up water and keep going. Don't forget to watch where you're stepping around them unless there is a privy available nearby. Of course, there are no water sources near the shelters in the park. This means a dry camp and if anyone is coming they should keep this in mind. If the brooks are not running the usual water supplies are the lakes and ponds.

Suede
04-18-2013, 16:45
Well, since you put it that way...

I've been toying around with the idea of hiking the AT in NY from the NJ/NY border to the Bear Mtn. bridge over 4 days and 3 nights. I was hoping to do it from 5/17 to 5/20, possibly shifting it a day earlier or later depending on the weather forecast. Wildcat the first night, Island Pond or Fingerboard the second night, and West Mtn. Shelter the last night. Let me know if any of this fits in with your plans and we can hang out. :)

A definite maybe.. I have to get a MRI of my left knee so it's going to depend somewhat on that outcome. No surgery and a shot of cortisone and I'm in. I will know more towards the end of next week. We can discuss at the Mahha, I think I saw you were going? Do you know how many miles / day you were considering?

perrito
04-18-2013, 17:55
The official AT miles are 37.3. The State Line Trail is about another 1.25 at the beginning, and the trail to West Mtn. Shelter is about 0.5. I can send you a little bit more information later when I get home if you like.

Suede
04-19-2013, 06:55
The official AT miles are 37.3. The State Line Trail is about another 1.25 at the beginning, and the trail to West Mtn. Shelter is about 0.5. I can send you a little bit more information later when I get home if you like.

Not necessary. I took a look at my maps of Harriman. Looks like a reasonable amount of ground to cover each day. The last day does look like it would by far be the longest and toughest. I really can't commit to anything until my knee is looked at next week hopefully. I am still waiting for the insurance pre approval on the MRI.

perrito
04-19-2013, 09:31
The last day is actually easy. The second day could be a killer, but I plan to assess myself when I get to Island Pond. See the attached schedule.

Note - The mileage start and end numbers are for the 2009 AT I found online.
Also, I've downloaded the GPX files for this hike from Backpacker/Trimble Outdoors and had a spreadsheet calculate the elevation gain/loss and the "GPS" distance. This data is in the last 3 columns. I use this information to gauge the difficulty of a planned day. I'm such a geek. :D

nyhiker50
04-19-2013, 10:50
Now that you've mentioned it, good luck. I have had two meniscus tears and repairs and two knee replacements done at the same time (both knees of course). If you have to go that far you can always send me a private message, as I know this is becoming common. I can tell you what you will go through in both cases. As for the hang, I have set it as I have said above for May 18-19 in Harriman. How many people would be interested? I think we would meet near Tioriti Circle and go from there.

Perrito: I don't know if you've done this section before, but the area above Greenwood Lake is tough with great views. I only hope they put the ladders back as it was not easy sliding down a sheer wall in one place. I do this once every few years to get in a hard hike. Wait until you are coming down "Agony Grind" That's bad enough going up. I happen to think that from Island Pond to the bridge is a cake walk, but that's only my opinion. If you really want I can give you the numbers from the AT guidebook.

Suede
04-20-2013, 12:19
I will et you know what the MRI comes up with. I have had a meniscus tear in that same knee about 7 years ago and had arthroscopy for it. I doubt I'm anywhere near knee replacements, at least I hope not.

I will know something next week about one of these trips.

Leeward419
04-20-2013, 14:19
SPace 4, recently been through that also, on one knee, been running and biking for years, totally destroyed the meniscus, had 2 surgeries, now no cartilage left, as long as I don't run, its ok, you will be fine I suspect. Recovery was quick it took longer to get thru the initial assessment, mri and diagnosis than the actual recovery. It was about a year though before it didn't hurt after hard excercise

best regards

Suede
04-20-2013, 17:16
SPace 4, recently been through that also, on one knee, been running and biking for years, totally destroyed the meniscus, had 2 surgeries, now no cartilage left, as long as I don't run, its ok, you will be fine I suspect. Recovery was quick it took longer to get thru the initial assessment, mri and diagnosis than the actual recovery. It was about a year though before it didn't hurt after hard excercise

best regards

Thanks Leeward. Yea This is what I'm expecting. It was quite a while before I was pain free. Bicycling seemed to be the best therapy for me, maybe because of the gentleness of the exercise and increasing blood flow to the area. My first surgery removed about 20% I was told so hoping to have some remaining. Best case is some cortisone shots which are sooooo great, totally making me pain free.

nyhiker50
04-20-2013, 20:31
"Thanks Leeward. Yea This is what I'm expecting. It was quite a while before I was pain free. Bicycling seemed to be the best therapy for me, maybe because of the gentleness of the exercise and increasing blood flow to the area. My first surgery removed about 20% I was told so hoping to have some remaining. Best case is some cortisone shots which are sooooo great, totally making me pain free."

The reason biking was so good is because it's not a weight bearing exercise. Swimming is great also, but this is not the place to start talking about it. Keep in mind what I was told: only a portion on the meniscus has a blood supply. I gave the worst case scenario so you could be prepared just in case. The only time you need replacement is if you're bone on bone.

JollyGreen
04-20-2013, 21:49
Can this thread get back on topic?

nyhiker50
04-23-2013, 11:56
Okay, back on topic. I'm still planning the hang in Harriman for May 18-19. For lack of a better name I'll call it the Harriman Bear Chaser Hang, We would meet at or near Tioroti Circle and take a trail from there. Would anyone be interested?

I need to know before I post in on the calender for the world to see. I think that no one would disagree if I said that weather conditions and other problems such as the red flag warnings prevented me from posting and planning the hang in the first place. If you do wonder why, just read back in this thread.

Suede
04-23-2013, 17:13
Unfortunately I am out. Results from MRI came back meniscus tear, otherwise I would have been in for this or perrito's idea of an AT section hike. Good luck and I hope the trip is successful.

nyhiker50
04-30-2013, 21:07
Just a quick note. Is anyone still interested in starting a discussion on the hang? I know it isn't for another three weeks yet but it will give us time for ironing out the details. Remember, if I make the hang, I will show up.

ZMad2000
04-30-2013, 23:21
I am very interested in going on a NY hang. I am just wondering about parking around Harrimann. The Tioroti Circle has a picnic parking but i dont know if we can park there.
Here are 2 places that i think we could park at.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.315514,+-74.050065&num=1&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.195749,+-74.183746&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&z=19&iwloc=A
These are only good for maybe 5-6 cars. The first we could push to maybe 10.
The other place is Bear Mtn. Where there is plenty of parking.

nyhiker50
05-01-2013, 09:57
Yeah, but at Bear Mtn. they charge a fee for parking. I think it's $5 per day? I'm not sure if that's what most hikers would be interested in. The parking spot in Tuxedo is what I had in mind. Everyone should start getting together and talking regarding shuttles.

nyhiker50
05-06-2013, 14:53
“Are there ever any hangs in NY at Harriman State Park in the spring and summer? I'm not seeing any and I'm starting to feel like a lone hanger (I know I have just seen one in the winter, but the weather is not cooperating right now).”

That was my original post. I was only asking if there ever were any. You folks all tripped over one another trying to make me a reluctant leader. I have tried to accommodate you. Please notice that I said spring and summer. Now that I’ve posted a date everyone’s interest has suddenly waned. Now I have my answer as to why there were never any hangs in NY. No one is interested. There’s no sense in beating a dead horse any longer. Can the moderators please close this thread and end its misery? Have a nice life all and I’ll see you all on the trails. Maybe not since I notice that you all prefer paid campsites to the deep woods.

Silent Bob
05-06-2013, 15:22
I am very interested in going on a NY hang. I am just wondering about parking around Harrimann. The Tioroti Circle has a picnic parking but i dont know if we can park there.
Here are 2 places that i think we could park at.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.315514,+-74.050065&num=1&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.195749,+-74.183746&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&z=19&iwloc=A
These are only good for maybe 5-6 cars. The first we could push to maybe 10.
The other place is Bear Mtn. Where there is plenty of parking.

You can park at Elk penn. The parking lot is maybe 50 yards from the AT. It is right off RT 17. Bear Mountain you can avoid the $5 fee if you get there early. Just make sure you register your car with the parks police dept and let them know how long your staying. I dont think you can park at Tioroti Circle. There is a camping ground on Tioroti drive near the blue blaze trail going to finger board shelter. You might be able to park there but i'm not sure. You also have NJ transit trains which i've taken up there numerous times. You come out of train station and walk across RT17 and there is a blue trail which will take you to the AT. Hope this info helps ...

G...Hawk
05-06-2013, 18:07
Hiked 9.1 pleasant up and down miles from NJ94 to NJ-NY stateline and 6 ridge rock scrambling miles to NY17A in two days with berksound.

Good parking at both places. Check out the AT parking page.

Good work, good weather and spring was just opening buds along the way.

G

nyhiker50
05-06-2013, 19:47
MODERATORS, PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD. i REQUESTED THIS ABOVE. ANYONE ELSE CAN START THEIR OWN THREAD.

perrito
05-06-2013, 22:53
I'm still planning to do my 4 day, 3 night AT hike northbound from the NY/NJ border, 5/16-5/19. If anyone's interested, just PM me. If the weather forecast sucks for Thursday and Friday, I may slide the days to 5/18-5/21.
:rolleyes:

Suede
05-07-2013, 08:16
“Are there ever any hangs in NY at Harriman State Park in the spring and summer? I'm not seeing any and I'm starting to feel like a lone hanger (I know I have just seen one in the winter, but the weather is not cooperating right now).”

That was my original post. I was only asking if there ever were any. You folks all tripped over one another trying to make me a reluctant leader. I have tried to accommodate you. Please notice that I said spring and summer. Now that I’ve posted a date everyone’s interest has suddenly waned. Now I have my answer as to why there were never any hangs in NY. No one is interested. There’s no sense in beating a dead horse any longer. Can the moderators please close this thread and end its misery? Have a nice life all and I’ll see you all on the trails. Maybe not since I notice that you all prefer paid campsites to the deep woods.

Glad you finally got an answer to your post, but speaking for myself, don't appreciate your condescending comments. There have been a couple trips posted to this thread, one in april and another the weekend you were wanting to go on, so you seem to be in error concluding that no one in the area are doing trips outside of the "paid campsites" (read: condescending).

I don't know the rules on closing threads other than sold items but would suggest you pm one (mod).

JollyGreen
05-07-2013, 10:30
Space, you took the words right out of my mouth, I was trying to figure out how to "politically" say it. Thanks

Suede
05-08-2013, 06:43
Space, you took the words right out of my mouth, I was trying to figure out how to "politically" say it. Thanks

YW. Maybe it will provide some insight, but then again, probably not. ;)

G...Hawk
05-08-2013, 19:59
I'm still planning to do my 4 day, 3 night AT hike northbound from the NY/NJ border, 5/16-5/19. If anyone's interested, just PM me. If the weather forecast sucks for Thursday and Friday, I may slide the days to 5/18-5/21.
:rolleyes:

That is a nice hike.

Wish I could do some of it with you.

Happy trails !

G

nyhiker50
05-09-2013, 10:33
Woww!! No one was answering and when I canceled everything you all came out of the woodwork. I had been watching the thread for days without a posting. I notice that most of you are friended, which looks like you were working together. Did you really think I didn't know how these forums work? Then you tried to take over the thread after you thought I was gone. Well, I am. I'll just be lurking. Buh Bye.

JollyGreen
05-09-2013, 10:54
Not sure where you're coming from bud, maybe you should reread some of your posts.

Suede
05-09-2013, 11:29
Woww!! No one was answering and when I canceled everything you all came out of the woodwork. I had been watching the thread for days without a posting. I notice that most of you are friended, which looks like you were working together. Did you really think I didn't know how these forums work? Then you tried to take over the thread after you thought I was gone. Well, I am. I'll just be lurking. Buh Bye.

Oh you guys are so NYhiker50 busted! Conspiracy theory revealed. I just need to figure out what the conspiracy is..:scared: is it conspiracy to subvert and convert the intended thread to deviant purposes other than those for which the thread was intended or try to post some meaningful NY hike activities, past, present and future and to assist others in finding parking and trails? Nyhiker, you will notice that i have NO friends so I cannot be implicated in this conspiracy..:cool:

angrysparrow
05-09-2013, 11:38
Guys, when you want to bring something like a closure request to a Mod's attention, please either PM one of us or use the Report Post function.

Closing thread now. There was no need for some of the remarks here.