PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day in the Devil's Kitchen 3-16&17

jerzybears
03-11-2013, 20:41
Well, me Boyos and Lassies, St. Patrick's weekend is right before the end o'winter and Russ and I are planning a trip into the Devil's Kitchen in the Catskills on March 16 and going out on the 17th.

If anyone cares to join us let us know and we will provide directions. We hang above the Devils Kitchen Lean-to on the Devil's Path. (Ask Knotty, he had fun last year) We are looking forward to some snow, a warm fire and a touch of the 'creature.' Slainte!:shades:

yooz85
03-11-2013, 20:50
Oh boy, i had alot of fun with you guys at the 501 shelter but have a trip planned for the old loggers path this weekend.

P.S. I think baxter (my dog) misses russ! :boggle:

JollyGreen
03-11-2013, 21:31
Tried google maps with no luck, can anyone clue me in to where exactly this is? Thanks

jerzybears
03-12-2013, 08:25
How to get to Devilís Kitchen Hang in Catskill Mountains.

Get off Interstate 87 at Exit 20- At Saugerties

Go thru toll booth to red light.

In front of you should be a McDonalds

Turn left onto Route 212 and go over Interstate 87

Turn Right onto NY-32 N and pass the entrance to Interstate 87 South

Continue onto NY 32 N and bear left New York 32A N to Palenville, NY

At Palenville, NY you come to a light, bear left and continue onto New York 23

Follow road out of town, up hill and past Katterskills Falls and thru the town of Haines Falls

Go into Tanenrville, NY and stay on Main Street

Proceed to traffic light in middle of town and turn left onto Co Rd 16

Continue onto Co Rd 16 (Railroad and Spruce Streets) Continue down road.

At sharp turn on road turn left staying onto Co Rd 16 (​Platte Clove Rd).

Go down road passing houses and farms. Be sure to pass a ďBEAR CAUTIONĒ sign. Look

for the trail head sign for Prediger Trail Head . This the trail head to the 1.9 mile hike into Devilís Kitchen.Turn right onto Prediger Rd

At the end of the road there is a house and Prediger Rd turns slightly right and becomes Prediger Trail Head Road- Park the car. Sign in and follow the trail to the intersection and turn onto the RED TRAIL going left.

If you want to take the short trail hike to Devilís Kitchen then continue down CR 16 to where the road is closed off. There is a parking trail head on the left. Park there and follow road back to where it crosses over some small stream and there should be a sign and a blue trail markers. (Long Path)

jerzybears
03-12-2013, 08:27
Russ is contacting the park rangers to see what the snow conditions are. Last year we had enough snow to make Microspikes necessary.

G...Hawk
03-12-2013, 12:13
jerzybears and all,

Have been waiting for this since February's 501Hang.

Unfortunately have appointment(s) on saturday.

Happy Trails ! Will be thinking of you having fun in the winter woods.

G

jerzybears
03-12-2013, 14:27
jerzybears and all,

Have been waiting for this since February's 501Hang.

Unfortunately have appointment(s) on saturday.

Happy Trails ! Will be thinking of you having fun in the winter woods.

G

Russ and I are going into the Adirondacks for Spring Break onto the Northville Placid Trail for a week at the end of the month.

jerzybears
03-12-2013, 16:16
Just spoke to the Ranger. Definitely need microspikes for this trip, 1 ft of snow that is melting and refreezing. Okie Dokie! :laugh:

G...Hawk
03-12-2013, 17:33
Russ and I are going into the Adirondacks for Spring Break onto the Northville Placid Trail for a week at the end of the month.

? ? ? when is spring break ? ? what month ?

If all is well here, I will join you.

G

silentorpheus
03-14-2013, 21:15
Much as I'd love to come out for this, I can't get away this weekend. :crying

Have an awesome time, and hopefully I'll plan a get away in the barrens sometime in the coming month - I'll let you know.

jerzybears
03-15-2013, 14:55
Much as I'd love to come out for this, I can't get away this weekend. :crying

Have an awesome time, and hopefully I'll plan a get away in the barrens sometime in the coming month - I'll let you know.

We will take you up on that future trip, Buddy!! Russ and I were aching to go out before the snow turns into mashed potatoes. Temps are going low tomorrow and it may snow again so things may solidify a bit.

jerzybears
03-17-2013, 16:23
Back from the "Kitchen" in one piece! The way in was very icy and needed micro spikes. Smaller would not do. Met a group going into Echo Lake and I warned of brutal lows that can happen. They seemed up so off they went. We found our turn off and climbed up to the site. Seems the rangers had heen there with signs everywhere to stay 100 ft from water. The fireplace knotty, jay and I so enjoyed was dismantled with the slate sofa! :(

we found a nice place away from the water and put up our hammocks. We cut some pine boughs for under the hammocks and got some tea going. It was 40 degrees. 2 hours later it was 20 and snowing. Like Shug we did everything from in the hammock-hawk vittles and peach tea.

The sun went down at 7 so it was time to boil water for bottles in the am mock and Jameson's Irish whiskey. It is after all the Devils Kitchen! After a touch oh the creature we slid off to bed. It, on the other hand slid down to 16.

We stayed warm and dry. Had some oatmeal and coffee in the am and hiked out. Our footprints were virtually gone. We met some ice climbers at the leanto and shared some stories off Catskills days gone by. Especially Echo Lake! It probably went to 8 there.

Sorry you all missed it. Maybe we can do this again in the spring!:laugh: our next trip will be in the adirondacks!

silentorpheus
03-18-2013, 08:43
Sounds like a blast. Sorry I had to miss it.

Then again, I have no ice spikes ... so it would have been ... interesting. :D

Had a "bit o the creature" myself this weekend, and thought of you both, out there in the wild. Cheers!

Bonesat97
03-18-2013, 16:12
Sounds like a blast...enjoy! I hope to be headed for a Devil's Path hike at the end of April. All of that snow will be gone by then....I hope.