PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we can do something

sargevining
03-12-2013, 07:50
I kind of owe the folks at Sam Houston NF a bit of an apology. I knew they were struggling with budget problems, but had no idea that thier budget had been cut so drastically. This came across the LSHT Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LSHT/). The new Director addressed the monthly Trails Coalition meeting and gave this bit of info:

Forest Superintendent Mark Van Every: Superintendent Van Every said he was glad to be here. He has finally moved his family to Lufkin from Minnesota. His previous district included the Boundary Waters Wilderness and many trails. The first issue put in front of him on his arrival was the trail closures in the Sam Houston National Forest. The budget on the SHNF is a challenge. Four years ago it was 25 million; now it is 15 million. Partnerships and grants are necessary. Volunteer programs are the only way to make it work.

Anybody got any ideas on what we, as a group, could do?

Loki
03-17-2013, 08:35
There's always the tried and true Raffle with proceeds donated to the Rangers. Small potatoes for sure but ask SloHike and RockDawg69 about it. As for larger dollar amounts - perhaps join up with the already organized groups for larger fundraising events and volunteer perhaps?

I believe Each NF Ranger station has a volunteer application - you can help with a variety of tasks from admin, to clean-up!

Lots of volunteer positions are posted each year for almost every NF, BLM, and Wildlife areas. Some even come with free campsites ;))

My closest NF also has a small non-affiliated club and we volunteer for trail maintenance about twice a year - it's a blast!

Get to know your NF volunteer coordinator.

Got to be lots of other good ideas out there....

oldgringo
03-17-2013, 12:22
I'm in. "My" NF is the Ouachita...I love it there...it restores me. I will be contacting them Monday morning, re: volunteering.

Good thread.:)