PDA

View Full Version : homemade HH overcover

Manhunter
02-02-2009, 15:15
I almost bought a HH overcover ($39.95) but I made one that works great. I had an old green nylon poncho that needed washing. When I took it out of the wash I saw that the waterproof coating was coming off ( wife was SO happy about that). I washed it in hot water 2 more times and almost all of this coating came off. I now had a breathable fabric. I then cut the hood off and tied a corner to the 2 ends of my HH Explorer Deluxe, right where the fabric is tied to the rope. I then ran the elastic side cords through the other 2 corner grommets of the poncho. The poncho now covered the top of the hammock and the hole left by removing the hood provided a breathing hole just like the HH one. I slept in it that night when it was in the 30's here in Florida...I was much warmer than the previous cold night, really stopped the wind from entering...and it cost and weighs next to nothing. By removing the waterproof coating it really removes most of the weight. Give it a try.

kwpapke
02-02-2009, 15:51
Nice job of using what you already have. I didn't own a poncho, so bought my OC last Spring.

I really notice the temperature boost at night when I am getting ready for bed, and in the morning when I first get up. When I get out of my sleeping bag, the temperature in my hammock goes up 10-20*.

Is your poncho rectangular? If it was more square, I'd think it wouldn't line up very well with the side elastic tieouts due to the asymmetry.

--Kurt

gunn parker
02-02-2009, 18:53
Hi
Did you take any photos?
Gunn

Manhunter
02-04-2009, 15:49
No it is more square than rectangular, but it does completely cover the mosquito netting on top, I do have maybe 4-6" of overhang all the way around. I was planning on cutting it to fit exactly,and then put a grommet where I need them for the side pull outs. But then I decided to NOT cut it, as the overhang keeps the wind out. I was afraid if I cut it to fit it would not seal as well against the wind. I works like a charm, no condensation at all since there is no WP coating on the nylon.

Manhunter
02-04-2009, 15:53
No pics yet...wasnt sure if anyone was interested...but I will work on that. It sure made a world of difference temp wise. It has been cold hear in Oviedo,Fl., so I am on day # 10 slipping outside (wife thinks I've lost it) it has been in the 30's/40's and tonight in the 20's...I have noticed a BIG difference since I statrted using this thing...and I saved $40...now I do not need any Stimulus $ !!!!

Manhunter
02-04-2009, 15:57
well, now that I think about it a little more, it really is more rectangular than a square...not by much...but enough that it covers all of the netting.

gunn parker
02-04-2009, 18:45
Hi
So this keeps you warm on the top? what quilt or sleeping bag are you using?

Do you have a thermometer that you can put inside the hammock to record the with and without temps?

gunn

Manhunter
02-05-2009, 08:52
Survived 28 degrees last night in Oviedo,Fl (actually Chuluota,Fl...right down the road from Oviedo), used my 0 degree wiggys bag. Homemeade overcover worked great again. When I awoke at 0500 hrs...put my headlamp on and tried "to blow smoke" inside with my breath...none...climbed outside and said " @#$%$ its cold!...VERY pleased with the overcover.