PDA

View Full Version : The Condor has landed - best Dangerbird ever

ShroominDave
03-13-2013, 20:10
Well I just received my hammock today and I put it up before dinner and tried it out. WOW! Is it nice. No (I mean ZERO) shoulder squeeze and so much room I can get into any position I want. The details are superb and having the double zipper pulls allows me to vent from both ends. I opted for Papa to make this a dual zipper model with the screen and the cover on separate zippers so you can use both at the same time. The double zipper is definately the way to go. I choose #5 zippers as opposed to the standard #3 and think this is a good choice. The zippers are a little stiffer so when outside the hammock with very little tension on it it is very easy to operate the zippers without snagging. I really like the side pullouts as well. I had interior grosgrain tabs added to allow me to afix my quilt to one side and all the way up at the foot end (both ends) so no more wrestling with it and no more falling out when I get out of the hammock. Now, I do not know the weight, but that was not my concern with this hammock. It is made with the following specs

Double 2.6 oz taffeta, black outside burgandy inside
Matching burgandy top cover
11 x 72
Double #5 zippers, one for the top cover the other for the netting
Double zipper pulls on one side for both net and cover
Matching burgandy SMC rings on grey continuous loops for the hammock ends suspension
Adjustable, detatchable ridgeline with dutch biner
Interior grosgrain tabs

I will post pictures as soon as I can. It is currently hanging in my basement waiting for my first overnight.

I cannot get over how comfortable this hammock is - yes it is heavy by some standards but I am 6'1" 320 lbs :eek: and can no longer sleep on the ground in any form (airmat, foam, army cot, etc...). All the add ons were thoughtout well in advance and designed to my needs. I am very hard on my gear and this looks like it will outlast my lifetime. I am super stoked about this new hammock.:D

The workmanship is beyond belief. Not a single stitch out of place anad the color choice is fantastic. :boggle::boggle:

If any of you are on the fence about a Dangerbird don't be. My hat is off to you PapaSmurf - Thank you for a wonderful buying experience and an even better product.

Dave

This is not my first hammock but may be my last - yea right!!!!

Labrador
03-13-2013, 20:57
Sounds pretty nice. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

engine386
03-13-2013, 21:34
congrats on a fine piece of gear!

breyman
03-14-2013, 10:22
Congrats. It does sound like a great setup! Double zippers sound nice.

+1 on the workmanship and comfort of this hammock. Good stuff.

Cali
03-14-2013, 11:35
I had a burgundy and champagne colored DL DangerBird ( I called it the Champagne & Wine Hammock)and sold it. Boy, did I regret that. So, last week I bought a 1.1 DL ACU Digital DangerBird from another forum member, and I am happy again. :thumbup: The DangerBird is an awesomely comfortable hammock with lots of room. I can immediately jump into the sweet spot, and off I go into never-never land.
Randy does some fantastic work, and he pays attention to detail. His hammocks are awesome.

WV
03-14-2013, 12:05
That sounds great. You and Papa Smurf both put a lot of thought into this hammock, I bet. It's great to hear details that have been planned with a view to function and comfort.

old4hats
03-14-2013, 14:02
Sounds great, what's not to love about one of these hammocks? Please do post pics, we want to see it as well.

tommyhawk
03-14-2013, 14:31
+1 on the pics!

mph5
03-14-2013, 14:46
Yes!

Pictures, please.

Marti

toygun
03-15-2013, 11:13
Papa Smurf is a master of his craft, no doubt. Enjoy your new rig.

And yessir, we need pics... I seriously need to check out the double zipper option you guys worked out. :D

J.Andersons
03-16-2013, 02:57
We want to see pics of this Condor DB! Sounds great and interesting design for do it all hammock.

ShroominDave
03-16-2013, 16:51
O.K. I finished my first night in the new Condor and I have to say I slept like a baby. This thing is huge and the sweet spot seems to be where ever you lay. I did not even need or use a pillow last night as my sleep angle without it was perfect. I was able to lay right to left, left to right and 3/4 on my side - I usually am a back sleeper. I am sure you could go full side no problem. The topcover even in the basement adds warmth. My house goes down to 60 degrees at night so the basement will be around 55. Slept warm and cozy but found out that my New River does not quite fit the hammock. Will be in need of a new UQ -maybe a DIY project!!

Here are some picture I hope they are good enough. I only have my phone, no camera.

This will be my bed every weekend till I can get out in the woods. It was super easy to set up and I have the foot end slightly higher than the head but not as much I as do with my WBBB.

Well here are the Pics:

DemostiX
03-16-2013, 18:21
It is terrific that Papa Smurf is filling this niche of custom jungle hammocks. I don't think Clark promotes or will do such custom work. But does use separate zipper tracks for bugnet and weathershield. And #5 zippers, both of which come with a cost of added weight. So, you're not odd in going with that pair of reliability up-grades.

I didn't see from the pics: Is the weather-shield a zipped-over cover for the bug net, or can they truly be independently deployed? Clark does it both ways, depending on the model.

ShroominDave
03-16-2013, 18:55
Kinda hard to see from the pics but you can use the topcover and the bugnet independently or both at the same time whick ever you prefer. I can also unzip both (they still remain attached to the hammock) and store them in a captured bag made out of the end of the netting, remove the ridgeline and go with a completely open top off model.

Again Papa does excellent custom work!!!!:shades: