PDA

View Full Version : Clark Tarp

KMACK
02-04-2009, 15:10
What is the purpose of the Clark's tarp shape?

fin
02-04-2009, 15:19
It also acts as a "storm shield" for extremely nasty conditions, allowing you to secure the tarp via velcro strips tightly against the hammock. I can't see ever using it this way, unless you were worried about heavy snows ripping the tarp, or you were using it to hold a little extra heat inside the hammock on a cold night.

photomankc
02-23-2009, 00:06
It also acts as a "storm shield" for extremely nasty conditions, allowing you to secure the tarp via velcro strips tightly against the hammock. I can't see ever using it this way, unless you were worried about heavy snows ripping the tarp, or you were using it to hold a little extra heat inside the hammock on a cold night.

I think the idea is also to allow you to keep dry but not have the guys tied out for really heavy winds. At least that is my understanding of it. I nave not yet had enough wind that I felt like I needed to do that.

hangnout
02-23-2009, 18:41
I have used the Clark tarp in several storms and it did an excellent job of keeping me dry and warm. It does not work well with UQ's and this is the main reason I do not use it now.

Cannibal
02-23-2009, 18:42
I have used the Clark tarp in several storms and it did an excellent job of keeping me dry and warm. It does not work well with UQ's and this is the main reason I do not use it now.
Why not? Is there not enough side coverage? I gots questions.:D

hangnout
02-23-2009, 18:48
In full storm set up it is more like a bivy with both ends closed and a stretch cord going underneath to keep the tarp from flapping (no stakes or guylines) and would not cover the UQ on the bottom.