PDA

View Full Version : MN-Rum River State Forest- April 19-20-21

turtleburger
03-19-2013, 13:33
Hi all looks like there is enough interest to confirm this weekend, looking at the maps there is 1 or 2 spots I think would work. Both are in the south section one is on east side on what the map calls Apple st and 205 ave(the big 'P' on the map, the other is buy the walking trail closer to the west side(as shown on state map).rum state forest (files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/state_forests/sft00043.pdf)

I'm going to plan to be up there Friday evening, leaving from st. Cloud.

All are welcome, one nite, both, or just for the day, tenters too, I might even bring one, I also am inviting a new never in a hammock hanger.

Rabid Deer
03-19-2013, 21:42
I'm in. I'll be traveling from St Cloud as well with a friend or two. Should be fun!

dsherman
03-19-2013, 23:31
I'm in. Coming from Crystal, MN. Might be able to bring a friend who has only had one night in his hammock. To be fair, I've only had maybe a week or two in mine. Looking forward to adding another weekend's worth of nights to the tally.

Rabid Deer
03-20-2013, 12:46
I put this event on the calendar. I put a start time of 15:00 on April 19, and an end time of 20:00 on April 21. Obviously you can come earlier and stay later, but I just wanted to give everyone an idea of when people are planning to be there.

I take it that we will not be using camp sites. On the DNR site it said you can disperse and camp wherever you would like in the forest. Does anyone know what that means for regulations on fire. I know we need to practice "Leave No Trace" but I'm not sure how that relates to campfires or personal wood burning stoves.

turtleburger
03-20-2013, 17:35
I think we would be ok with the fire issues, as they say that scavenging for wood is ok, as long as we LNT. There are no campsites so we would have to figure out a fire ring/area.

Fronkey
03-23-2013, 17:10
I'll put this on my calendar as it's not too far of a drive. Sounds like fun. :)

Fronkey

chewbacca
03-26-2013, 12:36
I am going to try to make it as well. I would only be there Friday night.
thanks,

turtleburger
03-26-2013, 16:59
I hope we can get a good size group.

Algonz
03-26-2013, 18:09
It's going to be a last minute decision for me hopefully I can make it.

maddowg1192000
03-27-2013, 16:50
I am ordering a WBBB 1.7 with a superfly and this is my first hammock. I would love to come and have someone with expience show me some tips and tricks to setup. I am ordering this weekend so I hope it is here in time

stairguy
03-27-2013, 17:06
I am ordering a WBBB 1.7 with a superfly and this is my first hammock. I would love to come and have someone with expience show me some tips and tricks to setup. I am ordering this weekend so I hope it is here in time

Try contacting AJ. He's a forum member out of Brainerd.

turtleburger
03-27-2013, 17:10

Maddowg. If it is not here let me know I will bring a extra hammock and tarp and you can use it,
Hope to see you there.

Rabid Deer
03-27-2013, 18:46

You're going to like those two together. I have both and I like them.

Bic
03-27-2013, 19:13
I should be able to make it too.

Rabid Deer
03-28-2013, 06:59
Turtleburger or anyone else have specific meeting places or parking area? I'm sure we'll all arrive at different times and we should know where to go! This is my first time to the park so I'm not familiar with it.

chewbacca
03-28-2013, 08:17
I am not familiar with the park, but looking at the map Turtleburger linked to, and finding the forest on Google earth, it appears the spot with the largest “P” in the south unit provides the biggest parking area. This parking area also looks to be near the river, and has a bit of elevation change. Might be nice to set up camp near the river. The way the weather has been going, we could still have some decent snow pack!

turtleburger
03-28-2013, 09:37
I'm with chewbacca I do think that the "large P" parking area would be a good spot. I've never been there either, google earthed it looks good.

Clauwitz
03-28-2013, 17:33
I would like to join your guys as well. I've not been to one of the forum hangs before; do I just ask everyone I see in the parking lot if they're from Hammock forums or will there be a sign?

turtleburger
03-28-2013, 23:16
I would like to join your guys as well. I've not been to one of the forum hangs before; do I just ask everyone I see in the parking lot if they're from Hammock forums or will there be a sign?

:D well if you know the proper handshake and the correct chicken dance you can just show up and look for people in the woods hanging in hammocks. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that if there in that parking lot that weekend, they are from HF,
come and meet some new people and hang out. I dont think we would be to far away from the lot, but I will put my cell number on my BIG green van so if anyone has a problem finding the rest of us they can call.

TB

turtleburger
03-29-2013, 12:04
Is there any interest in having a group meal on Saturday either for lunch or dinner or both?
Ideas---
Taco in a bag, stew, chili, other ideas?

Rabid Deer
03-31-2013, 13:20
Is there any interest in having a group meal on Saturday either for lunch or dinner or both?
Ideas---
Taco in a bag, stew, chili, other ideas?

I was planning to bring my own food. How does it usually work out with a group meal? Does one person bring the food and everyone else chips in with cash?

turtleburger
03-31-2013, 13:54
I'm not really sure how it would work, I was just throwing it out there., however I was thinking I would bring the Dutch oven and make a pot of chili.

Bic
03-31-2013, 16:53
I prefer to bring my own meals

Clauwitz
04-01-2013, 16:15
I eat grain, legume, and dairy free, so if we can have a pooled meal that meets those criteria, then I'm in. A chili without beans, or a soup or stew with no grain products added would work for me. All meats, fruits, and vegetables (including potatoes or sweet potatoes) are approved.

That said, it's kind of a pain, so don't plan around me.

turtleburger
04-01-2013, 16:26
For FOOD, I guess each bring there own will work best, I was just tossing it out to see if there was any intrest.

Shug
04-01-2013, 16:26
Always ends up being sooooo much food on these pot-luck type meals.....tons leftover and wasted in my experience.
Just easier if everyone brings their own grub. Maybe some dessert to share. Home-made cookies always a hit....
That said.......if you want to tote it then party on.

Hope to maybe get to make it this but to early to say for sure.
Shug

Rabid Deer
04-01-2013, 22:46
For FOOD, I guess each bring there own will work best, I was just tossing it out to see if there was any intrest.

turtleburger, looks like you got shot down! Don't feel too bad, we're still going to come on a trip that you started the plans for. ;)

Always ends up being sooooo much food on these pot-luck type meals.....tons leftover and wasted in my experience.
Just easier if everyone brings their own grub. Maybe some dessert to share. Home-made cookies always a hit....
That said.......if you want to tote it then party on.

Hope to maybe get to make it this but to early to say for sure.
Shug

Shug, it would be great to see you there! I know you're kind of a rock star :boggle: but I'll try to keep from throwing any undergarments at you.

Woot! This trip just keeps on getting better!

turtleburger
04-02-2013, 00:48
turtleburger, looks like you got shot down! Don't feel too bad, we're still going to come on a trip that you started the plans!

Well nothing ventured nothing gained, it still sounds like it is going to be a fun time, I'm excited to meet some new people.
TB:D

A J
04-02-2013, 06:52
Lord willing..... and the crik don't rise...... count me in.

maddowg1192000
04-02-2013, 15:20
looks like I am going to miss this, forgot about other plans

dsherman
04-02-2013, 15:26
I'm still in at this point. Probably only gonna be a one-nighter. I'll stay into Saturday after lunch-time. Weather is looking better and better. So pumped to get out there.

chewbacca
04-02-2013, 16:52
I am still in for at least one night, but not sure which one yet.

BWCAW hanger
04-04-2013, 22:25
You mind a forum-newbie joining you all? Been hanging for years and lurking around here off and on for a bit. Would like to get out in the woods with some fellow hangers and learn a thing or two.

turtleburger
04-04-2013, 22:47
You mind a forum-newbie joining you all? Been hanging for years and lurking around here off and on for a bit. Would like to get out in the woods with some fellow hangers and learn a thing or two.

Please come the more the merrier, hope to see you there.

BWCAW hanger
04-04-2013, 23:02
Depends on what is going on at work by then, but will try to make it!

Rabid Deer
04-05-2013, 12:43
Please come the more the merrier, hope to see you there.

+1

See you there!

turtleburger
04-09-2013, 06:49
N 45 53.034 W 93 30.305

GPS Coordinates for the parking area.

turtleburger
04-11-2013, 06:17
Good thing we did not pick this weekend, it would of had to been renamed to the "winter revisited hang"

Almost 3 in St. Cloud at 630 am.

TB

Rabid Deer
04-11-2013, 11:54
Good thing we did not pick this weekend, it would of had to been renamed to the "winter revisited hang"

Almost 3 in St. Cloud at 630 am.

TB

Yeah I hope this snow will melt by next weekend. It will be sloppy and wet but at least we won't have to worry about fire dangers as much. Good thing most of us will be hanging in the trees and not sleeping in the muck!

turtleburger
04-12-2013, 06:29
One week, yea lets hope the snow is mostly gone, but I'm sure there will some, at least we will be hanging high and dry off the ground.

Clauwitz
04-12-2013, 19:14
I'm new to hammock camping and would like to see some of the bug nets you guys use to help me decide the route I want to go. Thanks in advance for your help, even though we won't be needing the nets for bugs.

Trees4Me
04-13-2013, 08:33
Ive been compiling new gear all winter. And I am way anxious to try it out! I thinking I might try to make this one.

dsherman
04-13-2013, 12:25
I'll be hanging in the Blackbird, so you can check out its bug net. Like many others, I love how its way up off my face. Lots of room in that hammock, and I'm 6'1''.

Still looking forward to this hang. Need to get my tarp guy lines set up before I go in case wet weather hits (again).

chewbacca
04-14-2013, 20:00
Unfortunately I am unable to make now due to some work travel. Hope everyone has a great time. Take some video!

Bic
04-14-2013, 20:28
praying that the snow is all melted! Looking forward to getting out in the woods again... I swear if I don't get out every couple weeks I go crazy!

So what's the head count? Can we make a list of coming and maybes? Is there directions to the meeting area...did I miss that?

Coming:
Turtleburger
Hikingdad (and maybe a friend)
Rabid Deer
Dsherman
Fronkey
AJ
Trees4me

Maybe:
Algonz
Clauwitz
BWCAW hanger

turtleburger
04-14-2013, 21:02
N 45 53.034 W 93 30.305

GPS Coordinates for the parking area.

I'm adding one more person for sure might be two,

Bic
04-14-2013, 21:41
I'm adding one more person for sure might be two,

If that's just the big "P" on the southern map then I got it.... But where is the hang site?

turtleburger
04-14-2013, 22:00
If that's just the big "P" on the southern map then I got it.... But where is the hang site?

I'm not really sure, we will have to scout it out and find a spot, as there are no marked sites, I hope there is some dry spots.

Bic
04-14-2013, 22:27
I'm not really sure, we will have to scout it out and find a spot, as there are no marked sites, I hope there is some dry spots.

Well hopefully whoever gets there first can/will post some signs so the rest of us can follow. My vote is somewhere along the river there.

I should be getting there around 1-2pm or so.

turtleburger
04-15-2013, 10:42
If all goes well, I hope to be there arround 5, So i'm with hikingdad, some where by river maybe something to look at.

I think this weekend should be fun.

Shug
04-15-2013, 10:54
I am un-able to attend. Ya'll bust it in and have a good wet hang)))))))
All secure in sector seven,
Shug

Trees4Me
04-15-2013, 11:55
It's a greenlight for me! Just got the ok to take Friday off. 6hr drive for me. So I'll be ariveing some time in the afternoon. Sounds like it may be a little mucky? Or is there still snow on the ground up there?

Bic
04-15-2013, 12:09
sorry you can't make it shug!

It's a greenlight for me! Just got the ok to take Friday off. 6hr drive for me. So I'll be ariveing some time in the afternoon. Sounds like it may be a little mucky? Or is there still snow on the ground up there?

still snow right now, but hoping it will be melted by friday. here is a constantly updated map http://www.weatherstreet.com/weather-forecast/minnesota-snow-cover.htm

updated list.

Coming:
Turtleburger
Hikingdad (and maybe a friend)
Rabid Deer
Dsherman
Fronkey
AJ
Trees4me

Maybe:
Algonz
Clauwitz
BWCAW hanger

Rabid Deer
04-15-2013, 12:41
This is going to be a lot of fun! I will have 1 or 2 friends with me, which may be tenting it. I think this weekend will be a good demonstration of the advantages of hammock camping. I think I will bring all of my stuff in with my fatbike, a Surly Neck Romancer Pug. Being that bikes are not banned in the park, I think it will be an easier way to get around. It's very leave-no-trace-friendly as well. I have a piece of metal that I could bring with a marker to write directions, but I think that I'll be there later than others. Are we trusting that people will be checking HF on smartphones or do we need a better way to communicate?

Bic
04-15-2013, 12:45
This is going to be a lot of fun! I will have 1 or 2 friends with me, which may be tenting it. I think this weekend will be a good demonstration of the advantages of hammock camping. I think I will bring all of my stuff in with my fatbike, a Surly Neck Romancer Pug. Being that bikes are not banned in the park, I think it will be an easier way to get around. It's very leave-no-trace-friendly as well. I have a piece of metal that I could bring with a marker to write directions, but I think that I'll be there later than others. Are we trusting that people will be checking HF on smartphones or do we need a better way to communicate?

It's sounding like I might be one of the first to get there...I will bring some signage to mark the way from the parking lot. Will anyone be getting there prior to 2pm? Also how is the cell coverage out there?

Rabid Deer
04-15-2013, 18:52
According to the DNR site (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/trailconditions/listing.html), the forest roads are closed. I left a message with the DNR so hopefully they will call me back tomorrow. I described where we were planning to park so hopefully they will have some useful information.

It will be wet and cold, so plan accordingly! If you're dressed properly this shouldn't be an issue, but if you don't plan ahead you'll be quite chilly.

BWCAW hanger
04-16-2013, 00:33
I'm still a big maybe. I was hoping to head up the shore this weekend and do some scouting for some upcoming fieldwork, but with the snow cover we've got up here right now that's not looking likely. However if it looks anything down there like it does up here right now I don't know if I'm adequately equipped for a hanging trip. Usually when the white stuff starts flying I hit the ground.

Bic
04-16-2013, 07:51
my department at work just rescheduled our friday meeting to 2pm so I wont be there now until like 4ish :(

Rabid Deer
04-16-2013, 09:34
I just got off the phone with the DNR and they said that the forest road leading to the parking area we were planning to use is CLOSED. He said it was OK to park on the road to the North of the parking area, which is 205th. Park along the side of the road and do not block the forest road or the gate. Everything will be fine if we follow these instructions and park on the shoulder.

turtleburger
04-16-2013, 09:39
Thanks for checking on that.

Darn snow,

Bic
04-16-2013, 11:47
ditto thanks!

Trees4Me
04-17-2013, 04:55
hmm, 5-9 inches over the next few days. Is anybody gonna bring snowshoes or a pulk? This is gonna feel more like a winter camping trip. Minus the sub-zero temps. Ahh, spring in the north country!

Rabid Deer
04-17-2013, 06:37
My buddy and I will have snowshoes and pulks. I have decided not to go with the fatbike after hearing the updated forecast. It's going to start feeling like Narnia around here; always winter and never Christmas!

Bic
04-17-2013, 07:08
I don't think I'll bring snowshoes, but I'm considering a pulk. depends on how much snow we actually get.

turtleburger
04-17-2013, 07:14
I was pushing it the other night testing my summer under quilt, if it is going to be sub 30 I'm going to bring ugly quilt.

Clauwitz
04-17-2013, 19:46
I'm going to take off after lunch on Friday and should be there sometime in the early afternoon. I won't have any fancy winter stuff like snowshoes or pulks, just my boots and a backpack.

Trees4Me
04-17-2013, 19:55
I'm going to take off after lunch on Friday and should be there sometime in the early afternoon. I won't have any fancy winter stuff like snowshoes or pulks, just my boots and a backpack.

Haha, yea me too! That's why I was asking. Thought I might be the only guy trudging through the snow in my boots. Haven't really got into any deep winter camping yet. This should be good for getting the toes wet though.

Rabid Deer
04-17-2013, 21:35
I'll be there in the afternoon as well. I'm leaving St Cloud between 1:00 and 2:00. I'll have a piece of metal and a marker. I'm going to try to print off some maps as well so I can communicate where the community campground is at. If I'm the first one there, I'll start scoping out the river for good hanging hollows. If the sign is not at the intersection of the forest road and 205th, it will be in the parking lot located to the South of this intersection. Time for food, fire, and fun!

turtleburger
04-18-2013, 10:13
I won't be leaving til 5 so I should be there sixish or so. I hope the snow isn't too deep , it doesn't look to pleasant out right now.
To whomever does the scouting thanks in advance.
TB

Bic
04-18-2013, 11:55
my biggest concern is my vehicle! After my last trip to Arkansas my tires are pretty bad! Looking forward to the hang! hoping the river is flowing.

turtleburger
04-18-2013, 13:21
Looking outside right now I guess we will have to rename this the "winter revisted hang"

come on its almost the end of april, at this rate the fishing opener will be on hard water.

TB --- see you all there.

Trees4Me
04-18-2013, 15:00
my biggest concern is my vehicle! After my last trip to Arkansas my tires are pretty bad! Looking forward to the hang! hoping the river is flowing.

I'd be willing pick you up on my way if its truly a concern. Might even take the wife's Subaru to have AWD. Hoping they'll get the roads cleared by tomorrow afternoon.

Bic
04-18-2013, 16:36
I'd be willing pick you up on my way if its truly a concern. Might even take the wife's Subaru to have AWD. Hoping they'll get the roads cleared by tomorrow afternoon.

That's a really nice offer, but on my way home from work today I almost crashed so I stopped and am getting new tires put on now.

Algonz
04-18-2013, 16:40
My car tire got introduced to a curb today... They became pretty good friends! Between that the weather and not having a babysitter I'm throwing in the towel on this trip. I hope you guys have some good winter fun and hopefully I will see you for an actual spring hang.

turtleburger
04-18-2013, 16:41
Looking at the weather looks like 3-5 in of snow tonight and maybe 1-2 on sat nite, looks like i get to bring my sled.

Fronkey
04-18-2013, 17:53
Looks like I will be able to make it for a night. I should be there around 7pm tomorrow.

Fronkey

Rabid Deer
04-18-2013, 23:06
This is still going to be a fun weekend! The Buick is all loaded up and ready. I'll be off work at noon and picking my buddy up shortly after. My guess is that we'll be there between 2:00 and 3:00. I will call and double check with the ranger tomorrow morning to make sure we won't be in the way of plowing. If anyone else calls the DNR, let them know that you're calling about the part of the park in the Kanebec County part. It seemed to make a difference which county I was going to be in when I talked to them.

I am planning on doing some scouting and trying to get down by the river. I printed off some Google Maps satellite screenshots of the area and I'll put one in a plastic sleeve, then tape it to the large piece of tan metal that I have. I'll try to write some directions on there as well. It should be visible.

For those of you who were debating on snow shoes... bring them!

See you there!

dsherman
04-19-2013, 00:29
I, too, will be unable to attend. Not only am I unprepared for the conditions, I also have about 40 pages of papers to write. I'll have to wait until graduation to hang out (hopefully in proper Spring climate).

turtleburger
04-19-2013, 06:42
I sure picked a good weekend, going to break a 1888 record low, a foot of fresh snow.
Rabid deer, thanks for checking on stuff and the map prep.

TB

Bic
04-19-2013, 09:44
I'm not feeling well and don't want to be sick in the woods, so I'm out. My wife was sick earlier this week and I was worried this would happen :( have fun everyone.

Trees4Me
04-19-2013, 13:54
I'm in St Paul having some lunch should be getting up there around 3:30 or 4:00. The weater in here dosen't seem all to bad at the moment. And looks like we'll have nice day tomorrow!

Clauwitz
04-19-2013, 14:03
2pm departure! I expect I'll be there around 4 or so. I'll be looking for the sign!

turtleburger
04-19-2013, 14:15
I waiting for wife to get home then picking up friend hope to be there around 6ish, will be fun.

watertones
04-19-2013, 16:30
You guys have fun, should be nice weather for a hang! Looking forward to a trip report!

Trees4Me
04-21-2013, 11:50
What a great hang! Nice meeting you all! It was a lot of fun. I'll see you all on the next one.

Clauwitz
04-21-2013, 15:29
Excellent first hang (for me) everyone! After at 10 to 15 degree Friday night (Brrr!) Saturday night at around 30 degrees was downright sweltering!

turtleburger
04-21-2013, 15:44
thanks for comming guys, hope we can all do it again.

TB

JON had a great time and said on the way home he might even try a hammock next time.

Bic
04-21-2013, 16:23
Sad I missed it, but it would not have been pretty! Glad everyone had a good time!

Fronkey
04-21-2013, 16:45
Happy to hear everyone had fun. I stayed home like a loser because I was glued to the news. :)

Fronkey

Rabid Deer
04-22-2013, 12:50
I have posted a trip report in the appropriate thread. You can find it by clicking here on the words that you are reading right now. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=994416#post994416)

For those who attended, it was great to meet all of you. For those who did not attend, you missed out. Enjoy the trip report!