PDA

View Full Version : Fl>LWRSF>April 6-8, 2013 circuit hike

MAD777
03-21-2013, 17:58
EDIT: THE CORRECT DATES FOR THIS HIKE ARE APRIL 5 - 7, 2013. Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.

My approach to this one is to pack as light as possible and leave the Dutch ovens at home! This would be a circuit hike of the Arbuckle tract at Lake Wales Ridge State Forest, near Frostproof, FL.

We can park on School Bus road near the bridge over Livingston Creek (the usual spot). I will arrive Friday afternoon around 4:00 PM.

Depending upon how many people want to go, we could do one of two things. If just a few are interested, we could make Friday night's camp by the Lakeside campsite (Lake Arbuckle) and Saturday night at Grave Island, these being the smaller sites. If there's a gang of us we can camp the first night at Sherper hang spot and the second night at Isabell Creek campsite.

So, Friday afternoon we hike to the 1st campsite. Saturday morning we break camp and hike to our 2nd campsite. I will stick to the scenic trails with a definite stop by the old cypress trees and another one at Lake Godwin to cool our toes and probably eat lunch. Sunday, we hike out to the cars via the new hiker bridge over Livingston Creek.

Basically we are hiking from one watering source to another (can you say "Happy Camper") so bring your filters but leave the gallon jugs at home.

Let's see how many hikers we have and then we will make the final pick on whether we need the larger sites or can use the smaller ones.

engine386
03-21-2013, 18:06
there is a pretty good chance that I'll be able to go. Do you know what the milage is roughly going to be?

samsara
03-21-2013, 19:06
My approach to this one is to pack as light as possible

I'll believe that when I see how much food you bring :lol:

there is a pretty good chance that I'll be able to go. Do you know what the milage is roughly going to be?

Ballpark numbers based on sketching where I think the trails are on Google Earth... Friday 2ish miles, Saturday 6-7ish miles (we can probably trim .5-1 mile off of that if we need to), Sunday 3ish miles. These are very rough numbers since they really aren't necessarily on the trail and don't account for zigzagging.

Here is my rough sketch map with red being Friday, blue Saturday and pink Sunday. It is based on staying at Lakeside campsite and Isabel campsite (I think that is probably what we should go with). We can fit plenty of people at Lakeside (MAD777 gets dibs on the trees along the lake if he wants) and Grave Island really needs to be a group of 3-4 tops so it is a smidge small for anything but a very small group.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1763&pictureid=18760

and here is a general hiking/camping map for Arbuckle

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1763&pictureid=12990

Dave

MAD777
03-21-2013, 19:26
Thanks for the map Dave!

We can cut off a mile from the southeast part off the loop if it's too hot on Saturday since that's the dry part of the hike.

Grinder
03-21-2013, 20:07
count me in. that's about two weeks before I hit the AT for a month. It will be a good gear check.

MAD777
03-21-2013, 20:20
count me in. that's about two weeks before I hit the AT for a month. It will be a good gear check.

That's great, Tom! Perfect timing then.
I can't wait to hear more stories from south of the border :)

samsara
03-21-2013, 20:20
I will most likely be in for this one. I'll be doing a shakedown hike/camp on Monday/Tuesday of next week to see if my back is up to it. Assuming I'm good to go then I should be able to make it. If I pass then you guys will be fine without me (I'll make sure that you have all of the maps/directions/gps points that you need).

Dave

olddog
03-21-2013, 20:22
Sounds good to me, but I'm partial to the second option. This may have to be considered our Spring Hike & Hang for 2013.

islander
03-21-2013, 20:26
I'm really, really, really going to try my best to make this one...
Did I say enough Really's...?

samsara
03-21-2013, 20:29
I'm really, really, really going to try my best to make this one...
Did I say enough Really's...?

You really did :lol:

lilricky
03-21-2013, 22:33
Count me in, always up for a walk in the woods with good friends!

Great White
03-21-2013, 22:38
Of course I will have to attend. It could be the last time I can get out for the season. Having a hiking focused gather is a great idea. We need more of them in Florida.

FLRider
03-21-2013, 23:14
Not going to be able to make it. Headed up to the AT that weekend, to cover the first ~30 miles or so from Springer. Y'all have a good time!

samsara
03-22-2013, 04:10
It looks like the gang is in (but still waiting on Marty). I think the next time we are going to have a hang down at Arbuckle we just need to post the dates and this video:

vtSmfws0_To

:lol:

Dave

samsara
03-22-2013, 06:26
P.S. I worked last weekend (today will be my 12th day straight of work although the weekend "work" was really just glorified camping) so I will be off Monday and Tuesday of next week. I need some decompress time so I'll be heading out Monday morning some time to hang on the forest and then come back when I'm ready to return on Tuesday. Anyone is welcome to join me if they are interested but I'm fine by myself too.

samsara
03-22-2013, 06:42
I will stick to the scenic trails with a definite stop by the old cypress trees

I forgot to mention that the FL panther was seen recently (2 days ago) along the shoreline of the lake in the general area of the old cypress trees :)

emcee
03-22-2013, 06:43
It will be a last minute decision for me. The tax man cometh and I've been distracted with other priorities:cool:

FLRider
03-22-2013, 08:31
P.S. I worked last weekend (today will be my 12th day straight of work although the weekend "work" was really just glorified camping) so I will be off Monday and Tuesday of next week. I need some decompress time so I'll be heading out Monday morning some time to hang on the forest and then come back when I'm ready to return on Tuesday. Anyone is welcome to join me if they are interested but I'm fine by myself too.

*Hint hint*? Unfortunately, that falls during Mrs. FLRider's spring break, and I already have plans (and reservations!) to spend some time in an hotel with her up Jacksonville way (she was going to pick me up from the Carey State Forest Hang on Monday). Matter of fact, I need to talk to a guy at work today; they scheduled me to work Tuesday of next week (yesterday) when they already knew that my I always have plans with my wife that weekend. :(

olddog
03-22-2013, 11:27
I'm not going to be able to make that overnighter with you Dave but looking forward to this hang. Would be a thrill to see or even just hear the panther!

samsara
03-22-2013, 14:43
I'm not going to be able to make that overnighter with you Dave but looking forward to this hang. Would be a thrill to see or even just hear the panther!

Yeah, I pretty much assumed you wouldn't do the overnighter (not worth the gas for the trip). I'm glad we can squeak another one in before the "90s until November" hits :)

Dave

zukiguy
03-22-2013, 16:37
Bummer....I was pretty sure I could make this until I consulted the calendar. The Friday is messed up with a sleep study (apnea maybe??) and the wife has a conflict on Saturday. Better luck for me next time I guess.

Tuck
03-22-2013, 16:52
I need to check the calendar, but this seems like a good time. Plus, I won't gain 10 pounds from eating cobbler and crawl fish like at FH3.��

MAD777
03-23-2013, 00:34
Speaking of checking the calendar, I totally miss read my calendar. The correct dates for that weekend of Friday, Saturday and Sunday are April 5 - 7. I corrected the 1st post in this thread.

samsara
03-23-2013, 05:20
Speaking of checking the calendar, I totally miss read my calendar. The correct dates for that weekend of Friday, Saturday and Sunday are April 5 - 7. I corrected the 1st post in this thread.

I updated the map with a shorter loop although I can't remember exactly where the cypress trees are along the lake so we might need to go a little bit past where I show us heading inland and then backtrack a little bit back north along the shore.

I also added the general hiking/camping map that I've put up before (I noticed it in the photo album) just so that folks can see what is out there.

Dave

MAD777
03-23-2013, 08:31
Dave, I believe the Cypress trees are about where the 'P' is in your label for the Lakeside Primitive Campsite. So, I think we are covered. :)

samsara
03-23-2013, 09:03
I'm pretty sure that you are right. I'm just a bit too notorious for saying "It's just another half mile around this bend" even though the distance is much farther. I didn't want to mislead anyone that it would be shorter than it really was :lol:

Dave

samsara
03-23-2013, 17:53
So far the extended forecast looks good (maybe even cooler than the sherpa hang in February). It is a bit warmer than I would prefer but looks nice (it looks great for my Mon/Tue trip).

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Frostproof+FL+33843:4:US

Dave

Floridahanger
03-23-2013, 18:33
This sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I hope it's not too short notice for me.
I will try to make this hang. Short, not to hard on the back, since going lite.
Since I don't carry a filter with me, what is the water collecting procedure there? Do I need a line to cast a water collecting item or is there a water pump?

samsara
03-23-2013, 19:09
This sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I hope it's not too short notice for me.
I will try to make this hang. Short, not to hard on the back, since going lite.
Since I don't carry a filter with me, what is the water collecting procedure there? Do I need a line to cast a water collecting item or is there a water pump?

Water is easy to come by but some filtering might not be too bad of an idea. Fortunately there will probably be lots of filters there and a great group of people that will be glad to either give you some filtered water or let you use their filter. :)

Dave

olddog
03-23-2013, 21:02
For sure. My Sawyer Squeeze has a million gal gaurantee which should outlast both of us.

Floridahanger
03-25-2013, 19:50
Thanks for your replies. So far it's a go for me. But, time will tell.
Last night, I used 2 old USPS tyvek envelopes to make a bear bag and stake bag. I hope to give them some fresh air soon.:D

Edit: Lilricky is going right? Who needs water, then? We love you, Lilricky.

engine386
03-25-2013, 20:31
I think I'm out. Gotta a chance to go hanging with family out of state, the next weekend. I really wanted to check out this forest and meet up with you guys, but don't think the wife will like me going two weekends in a row. Have fun and my fingers are crossed for cool weather for you!

olddog
03-25-2013, 22:12
Just let her know that you will be spending the weekend with some of the best people in Florida and that she will not have to come bail you out of jail or rescue you from the zombies. Best thing to do is bring her along and let her see just how nice we are.

O-Boy
03-26-2013, 06:26
I'm a possible, but need to check at work and confirm later tonight. Let's hike and hang!!!

samsara
03-26-2013, 11:44
I went out for a quick overnighter to Isabel yesterday to get in the woods, relax a bit, test my back, and see how the site looks for our upcoming trip. The best news is that my back feels like it is at 100% so I'm in!! The camp looks fine and the creek has plenty of water and we'll have plenty of firewood available as long as we bring a hand saw or two and maybe a hatchet.

Scooby and I will go for a walk out to the Lakeside camp site to see if it still has water (the little stream there might be dry right now). If there isn't water then we'll do the Creekside camp (where we do the Sherpa hang) but if it still has water then I vote for doing Lakeside so that we get a chance to try that site out.

Here is a pic of my set up with my new tarp from UGQ (thanks Paul)! I took advantage of being the only one here and set up next to the picnic table.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1763&pictureid=18811

And a nighttime shot...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1763&pictureid=18812

I can't wait to see the gang again :)

Dave

islander
03-26-2013, 11:51
Nice setup Dave, looking real good.
Thanks for the recon. I was out a few nights behind Lake Godwin last month, super nice area.
Looking forward to seeing you and the others.

richtorfla
03-26-2013, 12:31
Glad to hear your back is doing great! Pics are nice. Wish I could get out and take advantage of this great weather we are having!

Good to see you get out and do some recon!

MAD777
03-26-2013, 13:53
Nice tarp you got there Dave!

Isn't the lake water available at the Lakeside Camp?

samsara
03-26-2013, 14:15
Nice tarp you got there Dave!

Isn't the lake water available at the Lakeside Camp?

Maybe but it probably wouldn't be easy to get to. You would have to work your way past the shoreline vegetation and muck to get to the water. You would probably need a shower after you got back :lol:

Scooby and I will let you know this week :)

Dave

samsara
03-27-2013, 06:20
The weekend of this hike is starting to show up in the 10 day forecast. It looks ok so far (80/60 with t-storms)... keep your fingers crossed :)

olddog
03-27-2013, 17:49
Bringing fixings for diy bacon wrapped dates for Friday night.

samsara
03-27-2013, 18:06
Bringing fixings for diy bacon wrapped dates for Friday night.

Ahhh... bless you, young man :)

MAD777
03-27-2013, 19:39
Ahhh... bless you, young man :)

+1 on that!!!!!!

samsara
03-30-2013, 09:35
Scooby and I just finished our recon of the site. We should be fine to stay at the Lakeside site. There are just a few tiny puddles of water in the little drainage that I will pass on (YMMV) but there is easily accessible water (sand all the way to the water) from the lake about a 5-10 minute walk from the campsite.

Just remember that we are at the beginning of aggressive gator season. It's HIGHLY unlikely that we'll see one but just be aware of your spidey senses.

There is plenty of firewood at both sites (remember... for cooking fires only... I will bring one bag of marshmallows :lol:) but it will mostly be PIY (Process It Yourself) so if a couple of people could bring their Laplanders. The bonus will be that we can do a little bit of trail maintenance to help out the FL Trail gang and get some free firewood in the bargain.

We might need to spread out a bit at the Lakeside campsite but I saw about 6 spots all fairly near to the table/fire ring. The cypress trees are all leafing out and look nice and green. You can also walk out to them and not even get your feet muddy. Don't worry Great White... you shouldn't dunk your camera (or was it phone?) this time :lol:

Bugs don't seem too bad and we had that recent cold snap that might have helped some too. The flies are starting to come out but I think the yellow flies (the worst as far as I'm concerned) come out later in April (I can't remember). As usual, this is FL so be prepared for bugs but I probably won't need any bug spray (but I will bring some).

The entrance/day use fee is $6 for the weekend. You can either pay at the iron ranger near the meeting spot or you can give it to me and I'll drop it off at the office on Monday. It makes no difference to me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon. The first group will probably head out some time after 4. If you will be coming later and aren't sure how to get out there just let me know and we'll get you oriented.

Dave

olddog
03-30-2013, 13:35
Hanging sites at the lakeside site were my concern, a rough count is 10 at this point with some of them maybes. What will the airboats be like there on the lake? I know we could hear some at the Sherpa hang but I don't recall there being many.

samsara
03-30-2013, 13:56
Hanging sites at the lakeside site were my concern, a rough count is 10 at this point with some of them maybes. What will the airboats be like there on the lake? I know we could hear some at the Sherpa hang but I don't recall there being many.

I ran into Shannan at the store about an hour ago and he said he will probably be able to make it. As far as airboats are concerned... it's a bit of a crap shoot but I don't think it will be opening weekend for any sort of hunting so that might help.

I think 10 or more shouldn't be a problem. We'll just spread out a bit. I didn't even think about it until now but we could probably find quite a few spots in cypress trees along the hiking trail along the lake.

Now we just need to pray for reasonably cool weather :)

Dave

MAD777
03-30-2013, 14:38
ATTENDEE LIST-----

Signed up and probably packed:

MAD777 (who needs to spend more time in the woods)
samsara (now that his back has healed)
Grinder (with tales from Mexico)
olddog (who never misses an excuse to burn something)
islander (really, really, really)
lilricky (chef extraordinare of campfire Jiffy Pop)
Great White (who can be found bushwacking with lilricky)
Shannan (still tasting his campfireThai Lap dish)

Maybe ???

emcee (who can't decide to hike or finish his taxes, duh)
Tuck (who is checking his calendar)
Floridahanger (who drinks unfiltered water)

MAD777
03-30-2013, 14:42
According to The Weather Channel, the forecast calls for highs in the 80's and lows around 60, with likely showers during the day Friday, but clearing by the time we get there and a dry weekend.

With a week to go, let's keep an eye on the forecast and pack accordingly (actually, 10 degrees cooler).

islander
03-30-2013, 15:29
I'm ready. Already partially packed, except the sleeping gear quilts. Trying to get out of work as soon as possible. Its about a 2 hour drive for me. Looking to be there at School Bus road by 4:00p.

emcee
03-30-2013, 15:47
HOA, check
Business PPT, check
Son's IRS, check
Mom's IRS, check
Mom's State, check
Personal IRS, #$%^&@*(%$#^

Pinholes in my tarp :eek:, HG is coming thru with a repair kit.

I'm at 60%.

Can't miss Grinder's tales of Mayheeco.

samsara
03-30-2013, 16:48
Can't miss Grinder's tales of Mayheeco.

The one with the goat, the dwarf, and the jar of peanut butter? :lol:

(before anyone gets too skeeved out that is actually a quote from a Muppet movie) :)

olddog
03-30-2013, 19:36
Looks like we are in for a great weekend. Just checked the weather on Baynews 9, Thurs = 50%, Fri= 20% h of 77 l of 56, Sat = sunny h of 76 low not posted yet. Still trying to figure out how samsara picks the good weekends.

samsara
03-30-2013, 19:43
Looks like we are in for a great weekend. Just checked the weather on Baynews 9, Thurs = 50%, Fri= 20% h of 77 l of 56, Sat = sunny h of 76 low not posted yet. Still trying to figure out how samsara picks the good weekends.

I can't claim this one... this hang belongs to MAD777. He is the hangmaster :)

It feels good to know that I have a group of people that I have introduced to my back yard that can now call it their own back yard and can organize their own hangs whether I'm around or not. I say it all the time but I feel so lucky to have such a great group of friends to join me on our local hangs. We always have so much fun.

samsara
03-30-2013, 19:49
Weather.com (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Frostproof+FL+33843:4:US) is showing it a bit hotter than that (lower 80s/60 for Fri/Sat and mid 80s for Sun) but it seems like it should be a bit cooler than the Sherpa hang and we are still a bit far out for the prediction to hold too much weight.

Dave

Floridahanger
03-30-2013, 19:51
Just let her know that you will be spending the weekend with some of the best people in Florida and that she will not have to come bail you out of jail or rescue you from the zombies. Best thing to do is bring her along and let her see just how nice we are.

And, if she did have to bail you out....:sneaky:.....I can help with that ;):D

Floridahanger
03-30-2013, 19:53
ATTENDEE LIST-----

Maybe ???

Let's change that "Maybe" to "Signed up and mostly packed" except that water of course.

MAD777
03-30-2013, 20:18
ATTENDEE LIST-----

Maybe ???

islander
03-30-2013, 20:24
I'm guessing Marty (emcee) will be there. Just a guess :laugh:

Tuck
03-30-2013, 23:51
I have checked the calendar and I'm free to go! Looking forward to it.

MAD777
03-31-2013, 07:01
ATTENDEE LIST-----

Maybe ???

olddog
03-31-2013, 09:57
We have until the 15th on the taxes, I'll have to take a look at mine after the trip. Hasn't changed much in the last 10 years.

Great White
03-31-2013, 18:53
Well I am almost ready. I have not packed yet, I usually perform that function the day before. I will be arriving around 10:00-11:00pm.

We are meeting at the Lakeside Campsite? How far from the Sharpa Hang campsite location is this? Is there a side trail with a sign that I can find in the dark?

I am looking forward to this. I just underwent a gear test today with a new addition to my gear list. Trying it out on the hike should be fun.

MAD777
03-31-2013, 19:04
I will be arriving around 10:00-11:00pm.

We are meeting at the Lakeside Campsite? How far from the Sharpa Hang campsite location is this? Is there a side trail with a sign that I can find in the dark?

Dave, I will scan a map with an alternate route to lakeside which should be appropriate for a night hike since most of it will be on dirt truck paths that are pretty much open.

I'll PM you my cell number. Call me when you are hiking and I'll hike out to meet you.

Can't wait to see your new gear! :)

samsara
03-31-2013, 19:14
Well I am almost ready. I have not packed yet, I usually perform that function the day before. I will be arriving around 10:00-11:00pm.

I am looking forward to this. I just underwent a gear test today with a new addition to my gear list. Trying it out on the hike should be fun.

You are in luck!! Instead of parking at the normal meeting spot just keep driving until you get to Lake Godwin road (remember where that was?) and park in the little parking spot just opposite of where you would turn onto Lake Godwin road (obviously you won't go onto Lake Godwin rd.).

Hike down that service road (north) and stay to your right. Eventually, when you start hiking through cutthroat grass, you will be back on the FL Trail but really all you have to do is stay to the right and you'll get to the camp site. It should only take you about 20 minutes or so to get out there. Just before you get to the camp site it goes through a wetter area that the trail is a bit overgrown but you should be able to figure it out (there really isn't anywhere else to go) and if you feel lost just yell because you will be a couple hundred feet from the camp site :lol:

If you look at the map that I posted in my first post you can see where that road is. If you continue down School Bus road on the aerial the road (School Bus rd.) is white and wide and it is scrubby on both sides of the road. It abruptly turns dark green on both sides of the road and you can barely see the road. That transition is where you will park and hike north for a little bit until you join back into the red line, curve around the swamp, and head southeast to the site. There isn't much parking at that parking spot so hopefully you will be the only one arriving late and nobody else parks there (there is maybe room for two vehicles).

On Sunday you can get a ride or just hoof it a mile down the road to get to your car.

Are the directions clear as mud? :)

Dave

edit: Since I have all of the routes already in Google Earth I just added the short orange trail (no relation to trail markings for the FL Trail) that you can take to get out there at night.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1763&pictureid=18834

samsara
03-31-2013, 19:30

Is it a compass? :D

Floridahanger
04-01-2013, 14:53
edit: Since I have all of the routes already in Google Earth I just added the short orange trail (no relation to trail markings for the FL Trail) that you can take to get out there at night.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1763&pictureid=18834

Dave,
Thanks for this clear screen shot. It will make the perfect schedule to leave with my wife. Just a touch up with the highlighter and a legend and good-to-go...

I will leave around noon and should be there in about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I'll see anyone that is there around 3ish to help welcome/greet anyone else.

emcee
04-01-2013, 15:53
I just underwent a gear test today with a new addition to my gear list. Trying it out on the hike should be fun.

Hmmmm.....I'm bettin it's a chair!

MightyMouse
04-01-2013, 15:57
If we can come, and can't get there in time for bacon-wrapped dates, it's likely to just ruin my weekend!

Floridahanger
04-01-2013, 16:21
If we can come, and can't get there in time for bacon-wrapped dates, it's likely to just ruin my weekend!

If you and Duffy just bring a few pounds of bacon, we can accomodate you on the wrapping for your date.
I'm not saying...I'm just saying :D

olddog
04-01-2013, 17:10
Just let me know for sure that you're coming and I'll hold some for you. As stated this will be DIY anyway.

samsara
04-01-2013, 17:57

Stop looking at "Tent Talk" and get your taxes done :lol:

MAD777
04-01-2013, 18:33

My thoughts exactly! :)

olddog
04-01-2013, 19:40
Dave, is there at grill on the fire ring at the Lakeside site? Can't remember from my one hike thru there. There is some discussion about grilling Friday night and I can bring my folding grill if there isn't one there.

samsara
04-01-2013, 19:45
Dave, is there at grill on the fire ring at the Lakeside site? Can't remember from my one hike thru there. There is some discussion about grilling Friday night and I can bring my folding grill if there isn't one there.

I'm pretty sure there isn't one out there. I would throw your little backpacking one in just in case I'm correct :lol:

olddog
04-01-2013, 19:49
Done, and Islander will be providing bacon dates for Sat. evening.

MAD777
04-01-2013, 19:54
We need to start feeding dates to the wild pigs out there, and then we would have an on-the-spot supply of date flavored bacon! :lol:

Great White
04-01-2013, 20:19

No, :laugh: I think I will stick with what I have.

Is it a compass? :D

:lol: I have purchased a compass, but I was not testing it this past weekend.

Thanks for the directions! I think it should be simple enough that I will not have any problems.

Duffy
04-02-2013, 05:11
Anyone wanna volunteer to work my 2am-noon shift on Saturday so we can hike? Please?! (pulling in some favors at work, we may show up at some point)

emcee
04-02-2013, 09:13

:DI'm in...probably late afternoon arrival.

MAD777
04-02-2013, 11:38
ATTENDEE LIST-----

emcee (who said to heck with his taxes!)

Maybe ???

Duffy (who needs a volunteer to work for him)
MightyMouse (who needs to keep Duffy straight)

MAD777
04-02-2013, 11:41
Thanks for the directions! I think it should be simple enough that I will not have any problems.

We'll send Ricky out to show you a "short cut" to camp! :eek:

samsara
04-02-2013, 11:54
I just wanted to mention that the gates at the south end of the property will be locked so those people coming from the south would be better off going around. I can give you the combination but it would probably be quicker going around anyway.

Dave

Floridahanger
04-02-2013, 22:14
I also have a small folding grill I'll bring just in case. Is there any fishing close to the site? Better question would be CAN we fish the shoreline close to the site?
I'm thinking grilled fish for lunch and maybe dinner. I'm an optomist :D

Duffy
04-03-2013, 04:51
You can take us off the "maybe" list...we will be there sometime Friday. I love it when a plan comes together!!

MAD777
04-03-2013, 05:36
ATTENDEE LIST-----

emcee (who said to heck with his taxes!)
Duffy (who hot someone to work for him)
MightyMouse (who needs to keep Duffy straight)

Maybe ???

What do you mean, "Maybe?" This is a committed bunch!
(or maybe this bunch should be committed!) :lol:

samsara
04-03-2013, 05:52
I also have a small folding grill I'll bring just in case. Is there any fishing close to the site? Better question would be CAN we fish the shoreline close to the site?
I'm thinking grilled fish for lunch and maybe dinner. I'm an optomist :D

I don't know the actual legalities but whatever is legal to do you can do here. Now, there is a place not too far from the first nights camp that you can get to the water and on Saturday we'll swing by Lake Godwin (a pretty little 20 acre lake with a dock out into the lake a ways) and you are welcome to try your hand at it.

I can't tell you how successful you'll be (I haven't heard of anyone taking anything eating size out of Lake Godwin in a loooong time) but I will ask you to be careful if you fish Lake Arbuckle. I know the fishing is good there but it is also gator mating season (they are aggressive and this is when you hear about fatalities in FL) so be careful. There are LOTS of very big gators in that lake since it is about 95% undeveloped (roughly half of it is state forest and the other half is the Avon Park Air Force Range).

You can take us off the "maybe" list...we will be there sometime Friday. I love it when a plan comes together!!

Good to hear!! It will be good to see you again and this time you won't need to make multiple trips as a sherpa :lol:

Dave

FLRider
04-03-2013, 08:06

Also, best A-Team quote of the week...

MightyMouse
04-03-2013, 10:24
I have even lined up the other Grandma to fill in for this grandma, so the plan is even more together than it was.

Speaking of the A-Team...like Murdock, I have intermittent memory loss...send me a text if I need to remember something. Thanks!

samsara
04-03-2013, 11:03
I have even lined up the other Grandma to fill in for this grandma, so the plan is even more together than it was.

Speaking of the A-Team...like Murdock, I have intermittent memory loss...send me a text if I need to remember something. Thanks!

Bring some cold weather from way up north where you are :lol:

Dave

Floridahanger
04-03-2013, 14:33
I know the actual legalities is legal
I can tell you how successful you'll be. I know the fishing is good there it is also gator mating season. There are LOTS of very big gators in that lake

Dave

OK. With a little editing, looks like you want me to get fish and gators for dinner. Cool. Bring your fork and knife :lol:

Tuck
04-03-2013, 21:55
A couple of quick questions:

1. is a hanging food bag a necessity?
2. What time is everyone planning to arrive? (It might be nice to meet up with some people in the parking area to hike in together)
3. Would it be ok to bring my dog?

I'm really starting to look forward to this trip!

olddog
04-03-2013, 22:03
Tuck, a couple of quick answers.
1. MAY not be necessary but why take a chance. I would hate to lose my food and have to eat Armadillo and Cattails.
2. My wife is recuperating from surgery she had Monday so she won't be dropping me off this trip and I'll have the truck. Plans were for 4:00 pm but the early bird gets the worm or the better hang site.
3. They are allowed but will have to be leashed. Something I need at times.

MAD777
04-03-2013, 22:35
Tuck, there's plenty of wildlife out there in addition to bears that would love to see you go hungry. Always hang your food and toiletries.

I will be there a little before 4:00 but will wait until then to hike in with those unfamiliar with the area or just want company.

Duffy
04-04-2013, 04:43
We might get there a little late..if I hiked as if I was going to the Sherpa Hang site, and stayed on the orange blazes instead of turning left to the Sherpa campground, I would be on the correct trail, right? If we are very late I intend to use the shortcut posted earlier, but we will probably get there early enough to hike all the way in.
Thanks!

- Duffy - (twisting arms to get work off early..AND blow off my Saturday shift)

samsara
04-04-2013, 05:13
We might get there a little late..if I hiked as if I was going to the Sherpa Hang site, and stayed on the orange blazes instead of turning left to the Sherpa campground, I would be on the correct trail, right? If we are very late I intend to use the shortcut posted earlier, but we will probably get there early enough to hike all the way in.
Thanks!

- Duffy - (twisting arms to get work off early..AND blow off my Saturday shift)

Yep, just make sure that you locate an orange blaze before you continue because there is a turn or two that you will miss if you don't pay attention. It is pretty well marked though so as long as you are looking for your next blaze you'll be fine.

In the two maps that I posted on the first page of this thread the first map (the Google Earth version) is taking a slightly different route because I think it is more scenic. Basically when you get to the old rusted out truck you are supposed to go left but I go straight/veer right instead, follow that service road until it runs into the "shortcut service road" and I hang a left and go in the same way as those taking the late night shortcut. It's just my own preference but if you follow the blazes you'll be fine.

The second map I posted shows the actual route of the orange trail. I'm planning on being out there around 4 or so and will hike in with that group (even if it is just Mike and I :lol:)

Dave

Duffy
04-04-2013, 07:50
Thanks! Packs are being packed here!

MAD777
04-04-2013, 09:13
My wife baked a ham for Easter so I took the leftover bone that still had a pound of meat on it, and made thick white bean soup. I managed to dehydrate some for this trip before I gobbled it all down. :)

According to a couple of weather sources, the forecast is calling for high's around 80 and lows in the upper 50's with a chance of rain on Friday. It could be worse this time of year.

I'm bringing a throw bag for collecting water, which everyone can use. (Water needs to be treated).

As of today, a burn ban is still in effect for Polk County.
I was planning to bring a wood burning stove, but my greater concern is that we protect our reputation as a group. If cook fires are permitted, I will stick with my wood stove, but will change to alcohol without complaint, if it violates the burn ban. Samsara, can you check on the official requirements?

samsara
04-04-2013, 12:50
My wife baked a ham for Easter so I took the leftover bone that still had a pound of meat on it, and made thick white bean soup. I managed to dehydrate some for this trip before I gobbled it all down. :)

According to a couple of weather sources, the forecast is calling for high's around 80 and lows in the upper 50's with a chance of rain on Friday. It could be worse this time of year.

I'm bringing a throw bag for collecting water, which everyone can use. (Water needs to be treated).

As of today, a burn ban is still in effect for Polk County.
I was planning to bring a wood burning stove, but my greater concern is that we protect our reputation as a group. If cook fires are permitted, I will stick with my wood stove, but will change to alcohol without complaint, if it violates the burn ban. Samsara, can you check on the official requirements?

Cooking fires and stoves are fine. We have received about two inches of slow, steady rain in the last 24 hours so your bigger concern will be if Rucks Dairy road is still the consistency of baby poop or not :lol: (I don't understand why the county started grading the road just prior to and during all of this rain... I think they just hate my car)

We are good :)

Dave

MAD777
04-04-2013, 13:27
Ahhhhh, the wet wood should present a fine challenge for me -
and great amusement for Grinder. ;) :lol:

islander
04-04-2013, 13:29
...and Muddy Luxury sedans! Strap on those mud tires Mike. :scared:

MAD777
04-04-2013, 13:33
...and Muddy Luxury sedans! Strap on those mud tires Mike. :scared:

I'm going to wait at the end of the pavement and lasso your bumper when you drive by, Mark! :lol:

islander
04-04-2013, 13:35
Muddy slip-sliding to the campsite. Bring it!

I'm going to wait at the end of the pavement and lasso your bumper when you drive by, Mark! :lol:

samsara
04-04-2013, 14:08

I'm actually not going to bring a stove and just plan to use the campfire to heat up my water

MAD777
04-04-2013, 14:59
I'm actually not going to bring a stove and just plan to use the campfire to heat up my water

Not a bad idea, although I need to test myself, so I'll still bring my wood stove. I'll leave my 1 oz. beer can pot at home and pack my (heavy as lead) 4 oz. titanium 600ml pot with handles, just in case I don't pass my own test. Dehydrated meals are crunchy as all get out without the boiling water. ;)

islander
04-04-2013, 15:08
Not a bad idea, although I need to test myself, so I'll still bring my wood stove. I'll leave my 1 oz. beer can pot at home and pack my (heavy as lead) 4 oz. titanium 600ml pot with handles, just in case I don't pass my own test. Dehydrated meals are crunchy as all get out without the boiling water. ;)
My test, fill the backpack, get to camp, setup hammock, heat up dinner, fill my stomach, crash in hammock. Wake up, repeat...Good Weekend:laugh:

samsara
04-04-2013, 15:42

I've actually found the campfire method to be my hands down favorite. Probably a nostalgia thing but if you are going to have a fire anyway then it is the easiest too :)

Dave

emcee
04-04-2013, 18:07
your bigger concern will be if Rucks Dairy road is still the consistency of baby poop

Looks like my hike just got a little longer:eek:

MAD777
04-04-2013, 18:15

You'll be up to your mini in mud! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just to be clear, emcee drives a Mini Cooper) ;)

samsara
04-04-2013, 18:30

I made it home ok today in my car, it was sloppy and I slid around a bit but it should probably be ok tomorrow :)

Your annual pass is in my wallet so don't let me forget to give it to you. Also don't let me forget to tell our law enforcement officer to call your house at 2 a.m. asking why your car is parked in a parking area :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll be up to your mini in mud! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just to be clear, emcee drives a Mini Cooper) ;)

:lol:

olddog
04-04-2013, 21:35
Contemplated packing today but I have 1/2 a day tomorrow. Did go pick up a steak, bacon and dates. Don't get me wrong I have been 'gathering', just about everything is spread out in one corner of my bedroom. Easier to cull when it is all visible. It's alot easier when you're not packing D.O.s and cobbler fixings. Really looking forward to this last fling of the season with the Ridge group, our 2 newest converts MM & Duffy and our soon to be convert, Tuck. See ya'll tomorrow!

islander
04-04-2013, 21:42
Contemplated packing today but I have 1/2 a day tomorrow. Did go pick up a steak, bacon and dates. Don't get me wrong I have been 'gathering', just about everything is spread out in one corner of my bedroom. Easier to cull when it is all visible. It's alot easier when you're not packing D.O.s and cobbler fixings. Really looking forward to this last fling of the season with the Ridge group, our 2 newest converts MM & Duffy and our soon to be convert, Tuck. See ya'll tomorrow!
Reading my mind again Lamar. I just got in late after a grocery store run picking up exactly the same thing, Steak, Bacon & Dates. Going to be some good eating out there!:shades:

olddog
04-04-2013, 21:49
Can't remember any gatherings we've been on that anyone starved!

islander
04-04-2013, 21:51
Can't remember any gatherings we've been on that anyone starved!I forgot to pickup some toothpicks to skewer them with :scared:

olddog
04-04-2013, 22:31
Florida has a natural kitchen supply in the Saw Palmetto. Skewers, which were my intentions, for the DIY Bacon & Dates. Then there are chopsticks, whisk, tongs and even plates. Then there is the fire making and shelter aspects. This may call for a bit of show and tell on the amazing utility of the Saw Palmetto. There is also the edible portion which isn't worth the labor for the minimal caloric gain but on the move will give you something to chew on.

islander
04-05-2013, 06:37
I'll carry in a small bag of charcoal. I believe we may be dry-firewood challenged tonight.

olddog
04-05-2013, 08:26
Just checked the radar and another small band is passing Lake Arbuckle right now and it popped up just west of the forest. Seems to be breaking up out in the Gulf so it maybe clearing by this afternoon. Not a bad idea on the charcoal. I'm going to grab a dry bundle of wood. Hate to eat that steak raw.

islander
04-05-2013, 08:28
Just checked the radar and another small band is passing Lake Arbuckle right now and it popped up just west of the forest. Seems to be breaking up out in the Gulf so it maybe clearing by this afternoon. Not a bad idea on the charcoal. I'm going to grab a dry bundle of wood. Hate to eat that steak raw.
Love a nice thick Steak, but prefer it even a little bit cooked. :mellow:

samsara
04-05-2013, 11:37
I forgot to mention for the late arrivers, it is a day use area with after dark access by permit only. We have a permit so if FWC pulls you over just tell them that you are part of the group that Dave Butcher (me) has a permit for :)

Dave

PS. The road is a mess but drivable

Floridahanger
04-05-2013, 12:09
Good to see it's still on and accessable. Leaving in a few minutes and should be there about 4ish.

See ya there.

MAD777
04-07-2013, 12:00
Trip report thread started here
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71107