PDA

View Full Version : Video: How to make Whoopie Slings

TheBrewGuy
03-21-2013, 18:03
Hey guys,
I've been slowly tinkering as I make my first DIY bridge hammock, and to complete the suspension I needed to make a pair of whoopie slings. So, since I got so much positive feedback on my previous videos, I figured I'd make a video and show you my process.
In the video I make them out of some bright green Dynaglide, but you can follow the instructions the same if you are making them out of Amsteel. My method makes buying and measuring easy:
Since these ropes are usually sold in 25ft. increments, I start with 25ft. and cut it in half. This gives you two 12.5ft. lengths for each whoopie, or sling, or whoopie sling. When all is said and done, you end up with rope that can be as short as 2ft. and as long as 6ft.
I use 4+" buries on the fixed loop, and 10" for the main bury. I don't know the recommended specs from Samson rope, but in my experience this has been sufficiently strong for both Dynaglide, and Amsteel.
Here's the video:
KtJGTgpv4dc

I'll just say that I struggled for quite a while trying to do these splicing projects. I tried all sorts of tools and techniques. It all comes down to having the right tool, and the wire I use was it. In the video I call it the "fish tool" because I install home theaters for a living, and it reminds me of the way I fish wires through walls. It's the wire that's used to suspend the framework for a drop ceiling. Its about 18 gauge if I had to guess, but it's fairly stiff and bends and re-bends easily without stressing. Tapering the ends also plays a big role in getting the bury started.
I hope this helps anyone else that is struggling to make some DIY suspension. Thanks for watching!

Swjoergensen
03-22-2013, 07:46
Thank you:-) I've been looking at making some whoopie slings myself instead if buying, seems too expensive to buy the finished ones. A very good guide you've put together, I'm stoked to get hold of some cord and try this out myself :-)

TheBrewGuy
03-23-2013, 20:04
Thanks! Glad it helps

mudsocks
03-23-2013, 22:27
After trying several different methods including knitting needles I found your usage of folded wire the easiest to use. Finished my whoopies today using your video/methods as a template. Thanks for sharing.

Are you using a gathered end or sewn hammock?

gmcttr
03-24-2013, 09:11
Next time a new splicer posts about rubbing his fingers raw trying to make a bury, we can refer him to your vid. A little technique goes a long way. Thanks

TheBrewGuy
03-24-2013, 19:28
After trying several different methods including knitting needles I found your usage of folded wire the easiest to use. Finished my whoopies today using your video/methods as a template. Thanks for sharing.

Are you using a gathered end or sewn hammock?

Awesome! Glad it helped. I tried quite a few knitting needle type tools, but the wire does it. I've got a couple hammocks now, but they are all sewn channel.

TheBrewGuy
03-24-2013, 19:29
Next time a new splicer posts about rubbing his fingers raw trying to make a bury, we can refer him to your vid. A little technique goes a long way. Thanks

Thanks! Yep I definitely did that a few times

Kaycee
03-24-2013, 21:17
Wow those videos were great. I just got done making 4 continuous loops and 2 pair of whoopie slings. So both me and the DW are set up with suspensions,
and I did not even cuss at all during the entire process.

Thanks

TheBrewGuy
03-25-2013, 19:45
Wow those videos were great. I just got done making 4 continuous loops and 2 pair of whoopie slings. So both me and the DW are set up with suspensions,
and I did not even cuss at all during the entire process.

Thanks

Awesome! If your like me that's an accomplishment. Glad I could help

Tucson Tom
03-29-2013, 18:52
I am busy following along with this right now. I wish you had shown how you tapered the ends (or left a link to your prior video). I looked hard but not sure I ever found it -- I just pulled out 3 of the 8 strands in my 7/64 amsteel and cut all three off right at the 1 inch mark. It all worked out great, see the next post ...

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Tucson Tom
03-29-2013, 20:28
Pardon my grumping in the last post. One is done and the other is half done. :laugh:

I was trying various things and getting frustrated until I remembered that I have some solid 22 gauge copper "buss wire" on a 1/4 pound roll. Tinned silver color and smooth as silk. I was able to track this down quickly (unlike -some- things in my shop) - I cut off 24 inches and folded it in half and it was an absolutely perfect fish tool just like you are showing with the steel drop ceiling wire. All I can say is that it worked perfectly and a 12 inch fish tool was fine (since for the 10 inch section you compress the amsteel shorter than 10 inches when fishing.)

I added a nice turquoise blue bead to each like I see in some pictures of whoopie slings. Had a bag of beads handy so why not?

Feeling good about this, you made it easy - thanks.

TheBrewGuy
03-31-2013, 20:20
Pardon my grumping in the last post. One is done and the other is half done. :laugh:

I was trying various things and getting frustrated until I remembered that I have some solid 22 gauge copper "buss wire" on a 1/4 pound roll. Tinned silver color and smooth as silk. I was able to track this down quickly (unlike -some- things in my shop) - I cut off 24 inches and folded it in half and it was an absolutely perfect fish tool just like you are showing with the steel drop ceiling wire. All I can say is that it worked perfectly and a 12 inch fish tool was fine (since for the 10 inch section you compress the amsteel shorter than 10 inches when fishing.)

I added a nice turquoise blue bead to each like I see in some pictures of whoopie slings. Had a bag of beads handy so why not?

Feeling good about this, you made it easy - thanks.

Sorry I should have put a link to the other video where I show the tapering. But you did it right, or the same way I do at least. I'm glad you found some good wire for a fish tool, and you're right 12" is long enough. The bead is a good idea to keep the loop from closing. You can also use a zip tie if you forget to put the bead on while making it. Glad it helped you!

cv66seabear
04-01-2013, 17:52
+1 on the link to tapering.

Very nice video. Gong wire shopping real soon! I am not sure I can do this without some cussing, however! :)

Drew_a_blank
04-01-2013, 20:42
Thanks for the video! Very clear with helpful tips to boot:laugh:

This will definitely help for my upcoming project

laziboie
04-05-2013, 22:30
WOW!!! I cannot believe how simple that was. I was able to get both done tonight!

Thanks so much!!!

Oh, and I used about a 2 ft section of 26 gauge wire (probably close to guitar string wire) from the hobby store that we had lying around. It was really easy to feed through, though I bet something a little thicker would be better. My point though is that basically any wire will work as long as it is strong enough for you to pull on it a little to get it started.

TheBrewGuy
04-07-2013, 08:28
+1 on the link to tapering.

Very nice video. Gong wire shopping real soon! I am not sure I can do this without some cussing, however! :)

I added a link in the description to the ridgeline video I made where I show the tapering process in better detail. Thanks, sometimes it makes thing go a little smoother right? Lol

TheBrewGuy
04-07-2013, 08:29
Thanks for the video! Very clear with helpful tips to boot:laugh:

This will definitely help for my upcoming project

Awesome, glad it helps

TheBrewGuy
04-07-2013, 08:32
WOW!!! I cannot believe how simple that was. I was able to get both done tonight!

Thanks so much!!!

Oh, and I used about a 2 ft section of 26 gauge wire (probably close to guitar string wire) from the hobby store that we had lying around. It was really easy to feed through, though I bet something a little thicker would be better. My point though is that basically any wire will work as long as it is strong enough for you to pull on it a little to get it started.

Nice job, glad it helped you. I agree I think lots if different wire can work it just needs to be slightly stiff to push through, and slightly tough so you can bend/rebend and pull on it.

Swjoergensen
04-07-2013, 13:58
Very good guide indeed. Just made a pair of whoopie slings, no fuss at all. Simple and easy to follow directions. Get some proper tools for it and it's so easy I wonder howcome everybody's not doing this :)

I use a bit of gardening-wire for fish-tool. It was a little bit too thin but worked well enough. Just had to pay attention to not separate the strands, but to move between them.

Thanks again.

Tankosl
04-10-2013, 05:17
Success!!!!
Great video........I had some thin stainless steel lock wire in the garage which was perfect for the job.
I was using amsteel and I wasn't quite sure about the best way to taper the ends, hence the first sling took me 2 hours to feed through.............yes, and very sore fingers.........
Ok, so on the next one I took your advice, opened up the threads and pulled three strands out, trimmed them off and guess what.....that took about 30 seconds to pull through!!!

Another example of "practice makes perfect" again!

I can feel a few more projects coming on........

Thanks again!

Curmudgeon
04-10-2013, 05:40
I haven't bought any whoopie slings yet, and now that I've seen this, I may never buy any pre-made. The process looks a lot simpler than I would have imagined. Thanks for doing this!

TheBrewGuy
04-11-2013, 12:00
Very good guide indeed. Just made a pair of whoopie slings, no fuss at all. Simple and easy to follow directions. Get some proper tools for it and it's so easy I wonder howcome everybody's not doing this :)

I use a bit of gardening-wire for fish-tool. It was a little bit too thin but worked well enough. Just had to pay attention to not separate the strands, but to move between them.

Thanks again.

Thanks! They make actual tools called "Fids" which are kinda like a knitting needle with a loop at the end. But they're expensive, and of course you have to order them. Most people probably have some kind of wire around their house that would work. Glad it helped!

TheBrewGuy
04-11-2013, 12:05
Success!!!!
Great video........I had some thin stainless steel lock wire in the garage which was perfect for the job.
I was using amsteel and I wasn't quite sure about the best way to taper the ends, hence the first sling took me 2 hours to feed through.............yes, and very sore fingers.........
Ok, so on the next one I took your advice, opened up the threads and pulled three strands out, trimmed them off and guess what.....that took about 30 seconds to pull through!!!

Another example of "practice makes perfect" again!

I can feel a few more projects coming on........

Thanks again!

I bet picture hanging wire would work fairly well too if it was thick enough. Yeah I added a link in the description to my other video showing the tapering. But you did it right, and what a difference it makes right? I tried to skip it the first few times I made things, but its crucial. Once you get the basics of how to do it easily you make just about anything. Let me know if there's anything else you want to see how to make.

TheBrewGuy
04-11-2013, 12:10
I haven't bought any whoopie slings yet, and now that I've seen this, I may never buy any pre-made. The process looks a lot simpler than I would have imagined. Thanks for doing this!

I bought some pre-made stuff before I figured out how to do it myself, and everything was made extremely well (very exact, no stress signs, made to manufacturer specs). But once you get the process down and use the right tools, you can make things at the same quality level.

Tankosl
04-13-2013, 10:30
You've started something now..........the whoopie slings are done, so I've now made 2 soft shackle carabiners as well!!!!
The secret is definitely in tapering the ends, once you've done that it pulls through really easy.........here in the UK I'm paying £1 per metre for amsteel, there aren't many suppliers at the moment.
Does anybody know of an alternative???

swoody126
04-13-2013, 14:58
the cost of the USED hammock was certainly the least expensive item in this game

after reading about WHOOPIES i went on the search for the Amsteel & threads on how to make some of these cool accessories

150' @ 28¢, a couple rings, a couple longer straps, a couple, a couple, a couple.............

and, of course, the list goes on

this video & the one on the SAMSON website were/are INVALUABLE!!!

once the simple, did i say SIMPLE, tricks are mastered the production of these parts becomes a game & the results are a WIN/WIN deal

i have now removed one of the covers that surrounds the connection point on my hammock and am making a set of ring replacements for the ropes

the ring will just barely stick out of the end of the hammock & i will attach my WHOOPIES to them

this should allow any water to drip off the rings as well as allowing me to separate the hammock from a wet suspension system, for storage

for anyone who may be in doubt about doing this stuff yourself, DON'T BE!!!

THIS IS FUN!!!

as well as being productive

sw

TheBrewGuy
04-15-2013, 09:57
You've started something now..........the whoopie slings are done, so I've now made 2 soft shackle carabiners as well!!!!
The secret is definitely in tapering the ends, once you've done that it pulls through really easy.........here in the UK I'm paying £1 per metre for amsteel, there aren't many suppliers at the moment.
Does anybody know of an alternative???

Once you figure out how to do it all you want to do is make more right? Sorry I don't know anything about UK suppliers

TheBrewGuy
04-15-2013, 09:59
the cost of the USED hammock was certainly the least expensive item in this game

after reading about WHOOPIES i went on the search for the Amsteel & threads on how to make some of these cool accessories

150' @ 28¢, a couple rings, a couple longer straps, a couple, a couple, a couple.............

and, of course, the list goes on

this video & the one on the SAMSON website were/are INVALUABLE!!!

once the simple, did i say SIMPLE, tricks are mastered the production of these parts becomes a game & the results are a WIN/WIN deal

i have now removed one of the covers that surrounds the connection point on my hammock and am making a set of ring replacements for the ropes

the ring will just barely stick out of the end of the hammock & i will attach my WHOOPIES to them

this should allow any water to drip off the rings as well as allowing me to separate the hammock from a wet suspension system, for storage

for anyone who may be in doubt about doing this stuff yourself, DON'T BE!!!

THIS IS FUN!!!

as well as being productive

sw

Thanks! Glad you found it so helpful. Anyone can definitely do it with the right technique and tools.

8Daddy
04-17-2013, 21:38
Just finished building a pair of whoopies for my WBRR. Thank you so much for posting this video. It was easy and actually quite enjoyable. I will be hanging on these tonight. Thanks again.

swoody126
04-18-2013, 08:30
just an update on my success...

i hung my new system, this week & it worked as intended

a couple adjustments was all it took, to make everything level/the desired angle

that being said/done, i took a little time to play with a 40" piece of 7/64th Amsteel

i spliced a 2" loop in each end of the piece, w/ a 6" bury of tapered tail

i used the double pass thru in the process

once finished, i used it to link my grandson's 1-ton dually to my Jeep & towed it across the pasture

I AM CONVINCED THIS PROCESS IS STRONG ENOUGH!!!

thanks, again for the VERY CLEAR/INFORMATIVE VIDEO

sw

TheBrewGuy
04-18-2013, 20:01
Just finished building a pair of whoopies for my WBRR. Thank you so much for posting this video. It was easy and actually quite enjoyable. I will be hanging on these tonight. Thanks again.

I'm glad it helped! Happy hangin'

TheBrewGuy
04-18-2013, 20:04

a couple adjustments was all it took, to make everything level/the desired angle

that being said/done, i took a little time to play with a 40" piece of 7/64th Amsteel

once finished, i used it to link my grandson's 1-ton dually to my Jeep & towed it across the pasture

sw

:-0 ....
Wow that's seriously impressive! I knew this stuff was strong but wow that makes me feel a lot more confident to hang in some riskier places.

Tankosl
04-19-2013, 11:36

sw

I like the invisible tow rope!!!!
You could certainly cause a few strange glances with that......

PappyAmos
04-23-2013, 16:25
I am converting my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe to whoopies and straps. This video was just what I needed! I couldn't find any wire around the house so I used a doubled over length of 30 lb. monofilament fishing line. Worked fine! Also not bulky so very easy to get the buries started.

Thanks!

TheBrewGuy
04-25-2013, 10:33
I am converting my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe to whoopies and straps. This video was just what I needed! I couldn't find any wire around the house so I used a doubled over length of 30 lb. monofilament fishing line. Worked fine! Also not bulky so very easy to get the buries started.

Thanks!

Glad it helped! Heavy fishing line, great idea. Was it hard to push through without bending? That'd be my only concern, but 30lb is some heavy stuff, probably pretty stiff

Tankosl
04-30-2013, 14:40
I've now "adapted" my UK hammocks gear store/hammock chair...........
This is supplied with amsteel lines as standard to tie it up.
Well it's now been changed.........I've now converted these to whoopie slings and I've made some tree straps from flat rope with loops in the end.
All to be hung using my newly made amsteel soft carabiners!!!
I road tested the set up last week for a mealbreak whilst at work..........I had a very comfortable lunch of lentil and sausage stew whilst hanging from the trees!

Gravity
05-18-2013, 16:16
Best whoopie sling how-to video I've seen. You explain everything very clearly. Thanks!

Basie
05-18-2013, 22:58
This was great! I've never made anything like this before, but had no trouble assembling some slings which I might try using as guy lines for my tarp. Couldn't bring myself to use imperial measurements (and didn't have a ruler anyway) so used more primitive methods... my wingspan for total line length, a handspan for the long bury, and so on.

For wire, I couldn't see anything around suitable until I noticed an old wire-bound sketchbook in a dusty drawer. Soon had a usable fish tool with application of the trusty Leatherman. Works perfectly... recycled scrap for the win.

I used the roll of 1.75 mm single-braid Dyneema I bought from Warbonnet's accessory section (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/acces.php). I'd been wondering how best to rig the lines, and this was a fun way to do it. I love the way these things work... no knots, but holds as secure as can be. Thanks very much for the lesson :cool:

Gravity
05-30-2013, 11:20
Just finished making my first whoopie sling and it came out perfect, following these clear instructions... thanks, really grateful, brewguy!

For fish tool I used a section of the flexible wire that my wife uses to make pendants and other ornaments, and which she bought in a reel in the crafts department in walmart. The wire is silver/grey and very malleable. It has the look and consistency of soldering wire. The reel doesn't have any markings so I cannot give any more details.

I cut a 36-inch section from the reel and doubled it in half. The size was perfect and it made the whole process smooth and effortless.

Whiskeyjack
06-07-2013, 14:42
Great video Brewguy! I just made my first pair of Whoopies in about half an hour. I ended up stripping the ground wire out of some electrical wire I had around. It worked great.
I still haven't found your link to the tapering video though. I ended up cutting the end 1" or so on an angle using my bush knife. Worked good enough. :)

snare
06-08-2013, 08:10
Made a pair last night.
Thanks ! Very easy.

Now what to do with these #5 knitting needles....:)

swoody126
06-08-2013, 15:12
Made a pair last night.
Thanks ! Very easy.

Now what to do with these #5 knitting needles....:)

don't you have some AMSTEEL left over???

SHIRLEY, you can think of something else to create

loops & dog bones &, &, &....

Gannoli
06-10-2013, 19:05
Great video. I think I'm gonna make an adjustable ridge line with this technique.

IDJAY
06-21-2013, 20:13
Thanks. I used this video to make an adjustable ridge line from some zingit.

Downhill Trucker
06-21-2013, 21:56
Excellent video... Great work!

Simpleman
12-01-2013, 15:01
I just made my first whoopie sling and now I understand why some say it is addictive. Thanks, your video was a tremendous help it definitely made it easier.

jacob8806
12-07-2013, 10:54
beautiful video. And if you order some Amsteel from dutchware (cheapest I have found) you can have Whoopies for $7.50, cant beat that price.

Jpfam
12-27-2013, 11:54
Keep em comin brew guy! This worked great!

Thanks!

HammockDreamer
03-17-2014, 04:59
Thanks heaps TBG,

Followed your tutorial and I now have a awesome pair of homemade whoopie slings!
The help and advice on this website continues to be the best I have seen on the internet.

Thanks again :D

Cowboy247
03-17-2014, 07:48
Made a pair yesterday evening to go with my first DIY tablecloth hammock, and the video was so easy to learn from that I made a 2nd set without having to watch the video again. Thank you good sir for your generosity.

kwiktech
03-26-2014, 05:51
Excellent... now to put the kids to work ;)

roogles
04-03-2014, 12:24
I just ordered 30 feet of Amsteel from Redden Marine and used this tutorial to make a set of new whoopie slings this morning at my desk!

Great walk-through! Thanks so much!

Can't wait to get home and replace the racer slings in my hammock with them!

cancell
04-12-2014, 05:11
The "cut three of the threads trick" worked wonders. Didn't do it the first time, took me an hour. Did it the second time, took five minutes. Learned the hard way to read the whole post before doing something.

Heisssenberg
05-10-2014, 16:28
Thanks for that. I have just made three of them. The first one I did mostly without following your directions and it took me a couple hours. The last two took 15 minutes together and look better than the first 1.

JimmyFergus
05-28-2014, 09:09
Through trial and error I learned something about threading the wire through the rope.

I had a few problems initially with threading, having the wire pick up one or two threads on the inside of the weave as I went.

I had been pinching the rope and wire just before the end of the wire then trying to push next section of rope over the wire.

Instead what worked much better was to pinch the rope & wire right at its end, compress the next section of rope so that it fattens up, then release my pinch and the rope just slides easily down the wire of its own accord. Very easy, and no threads caught internally.

Does that make sense? Hope it helps.

Tankosl
05-30-2014, 17:14
Yes, that makes perfect sense!!!!

Isn't it great how the really good ideas are the simple ones.....

Thanks for the advice, now where did I put my Amsteel?????

brazilianguy
06-12-2014, 08:22
Thanks for the video! It was extremely helpful, I made a pair last night without much trouble. I used some welding wire I had laying around, the size was about perfect.

Coldaddy
07-03-2014, 22:47
Instructions in this video were perfect. I made my set with no issues in about an hour. I had some practice with continuous loops which helped a lot. THANKS so much for taking the time to make this excellent video!

Clyde
09-04-2014, 09:26
I'm brand new to hammocking and just received my amsteel. I will attempt my first pair of slings today...thanks for the post!

Clyde
09-04-2014, 13:16
Worked perfectly!!!

4evrplan
10-01-2014, 10:19
Floral wire worked really well as a fish tool for me, at least with 7/64" line. And, it's readily available in department and craft stores, and it's inexpensive.

Cedar1974
10-09-2014, 08:06
I thought of a neat trick to prevent your finish end loop from getting sucked into the line. Use a tooth pick inside the loop as you tighten it. The loop won't go inside and it will stay rather small.

FreedomVan
10-16-2014, 10:53
This is THE BEST video out there for learning to make whoopies. I made my first pair last night using the D string off of my acoustic (I use 12s on my acoustic). Thanks to this video it was a breeze. The only thing I'll change is next time I'll probably use the B string because it's not wound. It seemed like the winding coming loose at the crease I made in the string was catching threads on the inside while I was making the bury. Thanks for helping out a true beginner.

rjcress
10-30-2014, 15:55
I had to laugh at myself the last time I made a pair or whoopie slings. I was at Boy Scout Camp with my son and left my good fid at home. I tried a variety of items taped to the end of the running end of the amsteel and just managed to get my self royally frustrated. After a couple of hours I eventually gave up.
Then I had to run home for a meeting and grabbed a piece of wire from a little 12V LED light fixture... really thin, like maybe 16 gauge (if I remember correctly). simply folding the wire over the thinned running end of the amsteel and twisting it tight I was done with both whoopie slings in about 3 minutes.
If ever there is a job that screams for using the correct tools, this is it.

Thumbs
10-30-2014, 16:13
Whoopie slings are so yesterday....:shades:
Check out Dutch's new speed hook. It eliminates half of the Amsteel and the need for a whoopie.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/101012-Speed-Hook-at-Dutchwaregear-com

Sandman614
10-30-2014, 17:51
Hey now, idk if they'll ever replace whoopies. Maybe for the gram counters. I'll stick with my whoopies and Dutchware strap buckles.

dtp2c111
11-12-2014, 16:58
Whoopie slings are so yesterday....:shades:
Check out Dutch's new speed hook. It eliminates half of the Amsteel and the need for a whoopie.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/101012-Speed-Hook-at-Dutchwaregear-com

Nooooo...I just ordered 75ft of amsteel. After watching the video I got all excited to replace my stock hammock stuff and make some continuous loops and even tons of soft shackles!!! But these are pretty cool too. But for the cost it's still worth buying a bit more amsteel. And the weight is really negligible too. But still an awesome looking product.

Jtupnsmoke
11-12-2014, 18:13
Nooooo...I just ordered 75ft of amsteel. After watching the video I got all excited to replace my stock hammock stuff and make some continuous loops and even tons of soft shackles!!! But these are pretty cool too. But for the cost it's still worth buying a bit more amsteel. And the weight is really negligible too. But still an awesome looking product.
You can never have too much amsteel. You'll go through 75 feet in no time.

GoatHanger
11-12-2014, 19:18
You can never have too much amsteel. You'll go through 75 feet in no time.

Preach it!

Jpfam
11-12-2014, 22:29
Can anyone direct me to a video or other instruction for correcting an impatient pull through of a whoopie sling? Argh!

gmcttr
11-12-2014, 23:13
Can anyone direct me to a video or other instruction for correcting an impatient pull through of a whoopie sling? Argh!

If by "an impatient pull through" you mean you pulled the adjustable loop inside the bury, dig it out....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/30797-Whoopie-Failure-Pulled-the-adjustable-loop-inside!

If you mean something else, please explain.

Jpfam
11-15-2014, 11:41
If by "an impatient pull through" you mean you pulled the adjustable loop inside the bury, dig it out....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/30797-Whoopie-Failure-Pulled-the-adjustable-loop-inside!

If you mean something else, please explain.

Nope that's it thanks!

remstar
12-02-2014, 20:47
Thanks a lot BrewGuy. I had some 7/64ths Amsteel come in today for a hammock that I'm working on. I followed your video using two 15 ft lengths. I did one in black and one in silver. Very very simple. Thank you for saving me some cash man.

freesince83
12-18-2014, 13:16
Great video and instructions. I made whoopie slings, continuous loops, adjustable ridge line and 4-foot dog bones out of 7/64 Amsteel. Thanks!

russbus
01-02-2015, 01:06
Awesome tutorial. I have a set of woopies as my suspension system and they are great!

carpus
04-13-2015, 20:27
Just made my first set of whoopies to go with my recently finished ghost-esque hammock. This video is more than helpful, thank you very much for sharing.

L0rdnic0
04-13-2015, 22:03
I used your videos last night to make whoopies and continuous loops for a Hennessy Scout that I picked up for my ten year old. Your video was very easy to follow.

04-14-2015, 09:38
You can buy lengths of amsteel from ebay now!! The shipping from marine suppliers is ridiculous but the shipping here is much less and you can order as much as you want!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amsteel-Blue-7-64-Bulk-Rope-25-50-100-200-/221743972689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a0f88151

gmcttr
04-14-2015, 10:18
You can buy lengths of amsteel from ebay now!! The shipping from marine suppliers is ridiculous but the shipping here is much less and you can order as much as you want!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amsteel-Blue-7-64-Bulk-Rope-25-50-100-200-/221743972689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a0f88151

This is also $2.00/25' higher than at Dutchwaregear.com

04-14-2015, 11:58
This is also $2.00/25' higher than at Dutchwaregear.com

I didn't see that result, thats a better price!!

abrock
04-23-2015, 15:03
Great video thank you for posting.

Paperjuice
05-31-2015, 21:40
Yey, thank you for this other video !

Along with your ridgeline and continuous loops videos, this helped me get started at splicing in no time !

Decided to go with a 1.5" fixed loop, 10" long bury (2 inches from the end of the short bury), and whoopie hooks as beads.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

littleLouie
07-12-2015, 20:52
I just got finished making a set of my own.

Zeppo
08-31-2015, 22:16
I am a complete novice to backcountry camping and hanging, but was able to follow this video and easily make a pair of whoopie slings with amsteel. I made different colors for the head and foot of my hammock, to make set-up with desired orientation quicker. The slings work great. I love being able to set up and take down without ever having to tie or untie a single knot!

Zeppo
08-31-2015, 22:17
You did the tapering exactly right, even if you didn't know it!

Kvothe
10-04-2015, 12:32
Thanks for the great instructions! It was very helpful :)

Indybeast
11-26-2015, 18:48
Thanks for this great video! I made 2 sets last night following your instructions. Also made several continuous loops.

Peeveli
02-27-2016, 16:54
Great video, just made a pair of Dynaglide WS for my DD SuperLight Hammock for it to be lighter then with amsteel whoopies provided with. Trying to hang tomorrow.

Peeveli
02-28-2016, 06:17
They did hold me, wohoo.

MoniqueWS
04-05-2016, 18:22
This is a DIY whoopie sling question which I can not find an answer for here while searching. If it has been answered please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

I purchased 36 feet of Amsteel 7/64". I figured 6 feet for a larkshead knot attached loop on each end of the hammock and two 15 foot lengths to make whoopie slings. I cut the 6ft length and made the two loops. So far so good. I measured what was left and only have 24 feet plus a couple inches. Oops! I got shorted. I am not super stressed about this however I do want to know can I make two whoopie slings using 12 foot lengths of Amsteel or must I use 15 foot lengths of Amsteel? S do I make two shorter whoopie slings now or do I make one per the DIYGear instructions and wait for another 15 feet of Amsteel to arrive? Clear as mud? :)

Thank you for your time and consideration!

MrPickl
07-23-2016, 20:16
I wanted to personally thank you for this tutorial and the one on you did on the continuous loops. I was able to complete both projects for my hammock the first time out of the gate with ZERO mistakes. Your tutorial in my humble opinion was excellent and gave me enough confidence to complete the project. They look great on my hammock and has significantly lowered my hammocks weight. Again thanks!

Squeaker's_Turtle
09-28-2016, 21:01
I can't even begin to tell you how awesome this tutorial is. As a complete newb, I just constructed my first 6 whoopie slings ever, in a little less than an hour! First step towards my first DIY hammock build!

Thanks a ton!!

timkennedy71
08-01-2017, 22:02
Hey guys,
I hope this helps anyone else that is struggling to make some DIY suspension. Thanks for watching!

This video was the very video I found today, and followed along with to make 4 whoopie slings for my hammock and my son's hammock. Thank you for making it so easy to follow (slow + clear audio = winner).

BananaHanger
10-02-2017, 19:48
Awesome tutorial, I just made a set. For the fish tool I used the copper from a length of romex I had laying around. It was a little big but I made it work. Can’t wait to try these out. Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillUpnDown
01-05-2018, 16:39
Terrific video. Thanks. These are not my first whoopee-slings of soft-shackles, but I find it's usually best to follow a good video that's been widely vetted by others. (TacBlades also has some good videos).
I've got some 3/64" (1.2 mm) straightened piano wire bent into a tight corner. The other end is in a wooden handle. Very simple. I'll post a picture of it. I've found that while any wire can work pretty good, a good stiff and straight fish-tool with a handle makes a bury fool-proof. (As I prove every time I use it.) Any wire will work, but if you can spend a little time straightening it out. The width of the insert end is 1/8" (3.25 mm).
For a quick fid a couple inches of a plastic drinking straw cut at an angle, with the non-point side slit an inch or so along the length. It can be better than a real fid for soft ropes (like amsteel) because just by squeezing a little you can make it any diameter.

Diadaga
04-07-2018, 20:56
Just wanted to say thanks for making an awesome video. Took about an hour to make the first one but the second went much smoother once I got the hang of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Keetara
08-27-2020, 01:38
When making whoopie slings does the length of the bury, and therefore the constriction, affect how much weight it will hold before beginning to slip?

Baka Dasai
08-27-2020, 17:31
When making whoopie slings does the length of the bury, and therefore the constriction, affect how much weight it will hold before beginning to slip?

Yes.

For whoopies, a full-strength bury should be 3.5 fids (a fid is 21 times the rope diameter). For 7/64 amsteel, that means a bury of 20.4 cm. A shorter bury will still "work" but will slip at higher loads.

For locked brummels the bury should be 2 fids (11.66 cm for 7/64 amsteel).

For continuous loops the bury should be 3 fids (18 cm for 7/64 amsteel).