PDA

View Full Version : Headin' South Tomorrow!!!

Certain
03-09-2007, 12:03
Hey all you crazy hangers....just wanted to express my sincere appreciation for all of the help I received, which allowed me to become a hanger. My back and hips personally wanted to thank you as well.

My first night on the trail is Monday, and I'll be trying to provide as much hammock-related information as possible in my journal as I gain more experience and get to deal with those unforseen challenges.

I did manage to get my UQ adjusted so I've got a starting point at least. And for any newbies who are wondering what my set-up is...here's a list:

HH ULBA
MacCat Deluxe Tarp w/JRB self-tensioning lines & Vargo titanium stakes
JRB Nest as UQ
WM 20-degree down mummy bag (full zip so I can use as a quilt as well)
Blue Wally World CCF pad

I'm also using homemade (by Hammock Engineer) snakeskins, one set of mesh for my tarp, one silnylon set for my hammock/underquilt/down camp jacket.

You all take care and hopefully I'll see some of you at the hangout in Hot Springs.

Frolicking Dino
03-09-2007, 12:07
::: dino does cartwheels - no that wasn't an earthquake :::

peanuts
03-09-2007, 12:45
you go girl!!! are you starting at spinger or amicalola?

headchange4u
03-09-2007, 12:48
Good luck Michele. I wish you the best. Keep us updated on your progress.

ShakeyLeggs
03-09-2007, 13:03
You go girl. Good hiking and hangin. I may just see you out there, i am contemplating a thru this year myself. I was layed off and have the time and the gov check coming in hehe. Havent decided yet. Will be eagerly anticipating your Journal updates.

Bulldog
03-09-2007, 13:25
Good luck. Ill be behind you, so write in the regestiers to keep me aprised of your hanging endovers. happy trails

Touch of Grey
03-09-2007, 15:40
I feel your pain Michelle!!! (RE: your Trail Journal Entry '4')

I have been a virtual basket-case all week, I sent out my pack via UPS last week and I know it arrived at the Hostel Monday. I am having seperation anxiety from it and having to deal with leaving my dog behind. We've been joined at the hip almost literally since I retired last January (15 months ago.). I cannot stand myself and just to try and calm down I am going to the movies this evening. Everyone else in the house has gone to work. It's just me, the dog and the kitty and believe me when I say that they are both I think wishing that I would get out of the house for a while so they can rest.

Yeah, I'm sure that I will also miss my wife too but that will be later in the trip.

You girls travel safely and carefully and I'll see you all down at the Hostel Sunday evening.

TOG:D

(48 hours from now I'll be sitting on the porch of the Hiker Hostel!!!) Yeah where is that dancin' banana?

FanaticFringer
03-09-2007, 15:44
Mmmnnnnmmmmmm dup dup mmmnnnnmmmmm
Bom-ba-dee-da-bom-ba-dee-da
Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again,
Happy trails to you,
Keep smiling on til then
Who ( oooh ) cares about the clouds when were together
Just ( aaah ) sing a song an think bout sunny weather
...two...three
Happy trails to you,
Til we meet again

attroll
03-09-2007, 16:46
Congrats, I really wish I were in your shoes now getting ready to do a hike of a lifetime. I wish you the best and keep one thing in mind, HYOH.

Ewker
03-09-2007, 16:53
good luck to all of you...anyone starting April 7th??

slowhike
03-09-2007, 17:21
don't forget to smell the roses... i mean rhodos<g>. ...tim

Hangman
03-09-2007, 18:00
Will be reading your logs and journals,its been nice reading your posts daily. I'll be 2 weeks behind as I start on the 27th from the falls. very similar set up. Shakeyleggs If your still reading this post and are serious about another thru come hang with us!!

blackie
03-09-2007, 22:05
best of luck....may you have a safe and wonderful journey!!!

Peter_pan
03-10-2007, 07:18
Best of luck...enjoy...HYOH...hyoh (hang your own hammock):)

Pan

Frolicking Dino
03-10-2007, 07:37
::: Dino can't stop happy dancing between Michele starting here hike and DixieCritter going on her very first overnight hike today :::

Certain
03-10-2007, 09:36
you go girl!!! are you starting at spinger or amicalola?

Springer :p (where's my barf bag? :D )

peanuts
03-10-2007, 10:03
cool.....early mornig, mid morning or what? i may do a day trip! and see you off

stoikurt
03-10-2007, 21:37
Have a wonderful hike and stay safe. I envy you, as I'm sure most here do.

blackbishop351
03-10-2007, 23:24
Definite case of envy here :p Have a great hike and be sure to keep up your journal so we can all continue to be jealous! :D

Miguel
03-11-2007, 19:02
Well...you're getting short now. :) In fact you're so short you're next! Good luck and have a ball. We'll all be living vicariously through you. Can't wait to read your journal.

Miguel

Touch of Grey
03-12-2007, 00:48
Well the Michigan gang is at the Hiker Hostel the evening/morning.

We hit the trail in a few hours. Who would have thunk that three individuals from Michigan who never knew each other would plan to leave for a hike like this on the same day?

TOG

slowhike
03-12-2007, 05:39
Well the Michigan gang is at the Hiker Hostel the evening/morning.

We hit the trail in a few hours. Who would have thunk that three individuals from Michigan who never knew each other would plan to leave for a hike like this on the same day?

TOG
looking forward to hearing from yall. you're in the south now, so don't forget to say "yall";)

Coffee
03-12-2007, 09:32
looking forward to hearing from yall. you're in the south now, so don't forget to say "yall";)

I am sitting 3 miles from KY, I hear ya'll all the time. Come on there is a water tower in northern KY with it painted on it.:eek:

Just Jeff
03-12-2007, 17:00
And don't forget the sweet tea. Good luck on your ruck.